Challenge #43 - 2003 Blackhawks Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Re: Challenge #43 - 2003 Blackhawks Discussion Thread

Post by stone169 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 pm

First game of the playoffs and I lost Bergeron for 3 weeks.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:26 pm

ronrein wrote:
bruins72 wrote:
ronrein wrote:I made four trades with those picks. I have a backup save with 5 games played that doesn't involve those trades, so should I use that one?

Yes, use that save. Did you upload your stats for the 20 games?

Yeah, I did upload it so I would now need to upload my new stats.
You'll have to right them down for now. I'll have to ask Archi to reset your stats.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Went down in the first round to Edmonton. What really killed me in this series was special teams:

Game 1 Won 4-1 0/5 on the PP.
Game 2 Lost 2-1 0/4 on the PP.
Game 3 Lost 3-2 0/2 on the PP.
Game 4 Lost 2-1 0/4 on the PP.
Game 5 Lost 3-2 (OT) 0/1 on the PP.

If I even capitalize on one of those chances in Games 2 through 5, it's a different series.
](*,)
Last edited by stone169 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm

But you made the playoffs in the first season. That's something.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:57 pm

bruins72 wrote:But you made the playoffs in the first season. That's something.
True. I'm kind of glad that I got bumped out. At least now I should be in line to draft Anton Strahlman. A right handed two-way dman. If I would've gotten past the 2nd round, I probably would've dropped down a couple more spots. I could still a get either Meszaros or Edler, but they're both left handed shots.

SteveBonus
Junior League

Post by SteveBonus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:32 pm

I read through the first few pages on here before getting started with my game, and decided to take a slightly different approach than most in the draft. It seems the big forwards like Staal and Bergeron are getting taken a lot, so I decided I would go with Shea Weber #1. I stuck with defense on my 2nd pick, 18th overall, and went with Ryan Suter. I figured those guys + Bouwmeester would be a fine way to anchor the future defense. After that I just settled for the best player available, both based on what my scouts were telling me and by my own recognition of the players (which might not be the best way to go for the game, but it'll be fun to see how I can develop these guys!),

Draft

Once we were allowed to trade I made tons of offers. I tried with all my might to get Henrik Lundqvist, but it seems no combo of 2 players or player + draft pick would be enough to make it happen. So I went the Ryan Miller route instead, who will hopefully turn out as good as his real life counterpart. I had a number of other huge deals up my sleeve as well. To accompany my young dmen in Bouwmeester, Weber and Suter I went and traded for a couple of guys freshly drafted and signed by their old teams: Brent Burns & Dustin Byfuglien. My future defense has the possibility of being ridiculous!

I also picked up Daniel Sedin, and it cost me way less than I thought it would. No luck on getting Henrik though, and believe me I tried. I also got Olli Jokinen in the deal that brought over Byfuglien. It was an expensive deal costing me both Hartnell and Phillips, I may regret that one but Jokinen gives me a #1 center to go with Sedin. Most of the rest of my moves were just to shore up the team's depth, but the most noticeable pickup of those remaining is a young Mikko Koivu. We'll see how he turns out!

Also, I signed Ethan Moreau to a 3 year deal worth $1mil per year.

Trades

I am pretty much at the start of training camp now, and here is my team report from my new AGM with all of my guys called up or invited to camp:

Team Report

I haven't worked much on my lines yet, but have a general idea of how I'll setup the main lines. Definitely not the most imposing team overall but there are some good pieces in place and lots of future promise. I expect a rough season and just hope to get some good development out of it.
Lines

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Holy rubbish man. You drank the Koo-Aid and went crazy trade happy. You have a completely different team. :-D

SteveBonus
Junior League

Post by SteveBonus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 pm

stone169 wrote:Holy rubbish man. You drank the Koo-Aid and went crazy trade happy. You have a completely different team. :-D
Heh, yep, I must have gotten a new trigger finger last Christmas or something! I'd still like to make 1 more deal to get a better backup goalie. I think I will put Emery in the minors and play Ouelett as backup. So far no go on any goalie deals though. Couldn't even get Brent Johnson! To be fair I'm not willing to give up anything beyond spare parts. Ah well, maybe someone backup-worthy will become available at some point.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Sucked that Stralman wasn't available at 17, so I drafted Edler instead. Basically after the first few rounds, things get a little hit and miss.

17th Alexander Edler
47th Dave Bolland
77th Shawn Larocque
93rd Nathan Kletke
107th Thomas Greiss
137th Angel Brooks
167th Torrey Possin
197th Stanley Hale

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 pm

SteveBonus - Wow, you went all kinds of rebuild crazy, some very nice trades in there :) We've done so much rebuilding that i went for a more balanced approach in this challenge now that we were allowed to trade for any age players. Your team will be insane in a few seasons though, especially that defense.

ronrein
Junior League
Favourite Team: Minnesota Wild

Post by ronrein » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:44 am

Just finished my first season. Don't know how much I should write so I'm gonna keep it short for now.

Was intending to tank this season but my team had other ideas so I ended up as 7th in the conference, which was pretty surprising because the team isn't that good but they were really gritty. My best player by far was Tim Thomas who even was a Vezina finalist and I also had 2 rookies (Oduya and Irgl) in the rookie all-star team. Playoff went pretty much as expected as I lost 4-2 to the 2nd seeded Calgary. Luckily I traded my 1st pick to a worse team for a 1st and a 2nd round pick quite early in the season, which ended up being the 2nd and 32nd pick in the draft. Probably going to pick Malkin, but I'm not really sure yet. I also went quite crazy with trades and I ended the season with 22 trades made, which allowed me to rebuild most of my team and farm team as there was a lot of deadwood to get rid of and replace with younger or better players. I'm also pretty happy that most of my youngsters were able to win the Calder Cup with Indianapolis Ice, which came as a small surprise. I was also able to get a pretty good free agent for 875k a season.

Beukeboom
Minor League

Post by Beukeboom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:31 am

ronrein wrote:Just finished my first season. Don't know how much I should write so I'm gonna keep it short for now.

Was intending to tank this season but my team had other ideas so I ended up as 7th in the conference, which was pretty surprising because the team isn't that good but they were really gritty. My best player by far was Tim Thomas who even was a Vezina finalist and I also had 2 rookies (Oduya and Irgl) in the rookie all-star team. Playoff went pretty much as expected as I lost 4-2 to the 2nd seeded Calgary. Luckily I traded my 1st pick to a worse team for a 1st and a 2nd round pick quite early in the season, which ended up being the 2nd and 32nd pick in the draft. Probably going to pick Malkin, but I'm not really sure yet. I also went quite crazy with trades and I ended the season with 22 trades made, which allowed me to rebuild most of my team and farm team as there was a lot of deadwood to get rid of and replace with younger or better players. I'm also pretty happy that most of my youngsters were able to win the Calder Cup with Indianapolis Ice, which came as a small surprise. I was also able to get a pretty good free agent for 875k a season.

Well actually you arent allowed to trade your 1st round pick as far as i understood it...

ronrein
Junior League

Post by ronrein » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:23 am

Beukeboom wrote:
ronrein wrote:Just finished my first season. Don't know how much I should write so I'm gonna keep it short for now.

Well actually you arent allowed to trade your 1st round pick as far as i understood it...

Oh, I'm so stupid. Didn't even think about it. I'll just release Malkin's rights, I don't mind.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:27 am

Great first quarter for me, sitting in 3rd position in the conference with less games played (2nd highest Win% in the conference). My depth scoring is off the charts good, no regular forward has under 9 points in 21 games, never ever had depth scoring like this. Dazé leads the charge with 21.

Indianapolis are 15-2-2 aswell, which is good :)

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Almost done October of season 2 as I write this. Started off with Goligoski on my bottom D pairing as the pickings were slim. Really wasn't what I wanted to do unless he was really impressive. He was not. Still a few years away. Tried to sign a couple different Dmen, who would've been an upgrade on my 3rd pairing, but it was not meant to be. So I went the trade route and managed to get the guy I tried to get late last season...Derek Morris. Traded Steve Guolla straight for him.

So here is my current lineup.

Sturm - Bergeron - Cleary
Bartecko - Horcoff - Kobasew
Fisher - Ott - Hartnell
Vesely - Pahlsson - VandenBussche

Keith - Morris
Phillips - Westcott
Bouwmeester - Clark

Thomas
DiPietro

Not a lot of changes from who I finished with last season. New additions are Morris and VandenBussche.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Red Wings

Post by Canadian Passport » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Now that we've heard from the good players allow me to share how my challenge is going. I didn't make a lot of changes to the staff or to the roster...and as it turns out that was a mistake. I'm not done with S1Q1 yet so it's still early but right now I'm sitting in 14th place at 3-9-2, I may have overestimated my tactical acumen just a wee bit. I'm researching trades much more seriously now, the question is will I still have a job before I can finally make the needed changes. Daze has one point in 12 games and Phillips has apparently forgotten how to play hockey, I've tried to trade him but no one wants his contract, he's so bad right now that at this point I'd take a bag of pucks for him. The only reason I have three wins at all is Tim Thomas and my three best skaters are Getzlaf, Hartnell, and Byfuglien.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Season 2, midway through the second quarter and the biggest problem I'm running into is conditioning. I just turned down the tempo to normal on PP units. Hopefully that fixes it.

Hasn't really stopped the team from scoring or winning though. I'm 8-1-1 in my last 10 and I've scored 22 goals in my last 4 games and I've only allowed 5.

Now that I've said that, I've probably just jinxed myself.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Just lost Chris Phillips for 2 months with a broken arm. Hopefully Nasredinne can fill in until he gets back. I don't really want to trade for a rental type of player to fill a spot because of injury and defensive depth really isn't all that great right now.

SteveBonus
Junior League

Post by SteveBonus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Canadian Passport wrote: I'm not done with S1Q1 yet so it's still early but right now I'm sitting in 14th place at 3-9-2, I may have overestimated my tactical acumen just a wee bit.
That's better than my Q1 performance! Sitting dead last with a stellar 2-14-5 record now. I had a feeling this would be a rough season, given that with Bouwmeester, Burns and Byfuglien I have an 18 or 19 year old on each D pairing, but didn't think it would be quite this brutal! I also haven't done much with my tactics, since my play time is limited I just plugged in my usually solid tactics....but they need adequate skill to work properly. I'm just trying to get through this season then hopefully end up with Ovechkin or Malkin after the draft. I have a solid foundation for the future but it looks a LONG way off right now. My D will likely be even younger next year, with those guys + Weber and Suter joining the team, who I plan to sign to entry level deals over the summer. Well, Weber for sure, maybe Suter too.

The interesting thing, though, is despite losing 19 of 21 games, 14 of those losses have been by 1 goal. So it's not like we're getting blown out, we just can't find ways to win. At one point I lost 8 in a row by 1 goal, and 9 of 10. So if we can get over that hump we should win a bit more, but I suspect it's going to be a looooong season with many, many more defeats.

UPDATE
Now sitting at 3-16-6, but this update is because I made yet another big trade! I mentioned in my 1st post that I had tried to get Henrik Sedin to join Daniel. Well, after seeing Jokinen and Daniel not even come close to hitting it off I shipped off recent additions Jokinen & Boyes to CBJ to get Henrik. It should still be a terrible season but a pair of Sedins and a beautiful looking set of young dmen coming up should make for a brighter future. We'll see! :-D

ronrein
Junior League

Post by ronrein » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:08 pm

About my post- and pre-season. Ended up releasing the rights for Malkin as I made a mistake, but luckily I was able to get 3 talented players in the second round. Pretty happy to see Hartnell and Getzlaf improving but at the same time I'm quite disappointed in Bouwmeester who didn't really get much better even though he played 80 games. Very angry with Steve Ott who didn't want to renew his contract so he left for free. I was a bit stupid not to trade him but I was hopeful and I put a lot of effort in improving him and giving him playtime. Not really hoping to be successful this season and reaching the playoffs is questionable. Although, wouldn't mind picking up Crosby, Letang, Kopitar or Oshie though.

Also, I'm I seeing thing correctly? Did someone win Stanley Cup on the first season? With this freaking team? That's mental.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Red Wings

Post by Canadian Passport » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Ott is one of my best players, I wouldn't trade him either.

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Not going very far fast :grin: still in july in 1st season. Doing a lot of wheelin and dealin. Have been looking hard for some decent RDs and was hoping to use Farrel or Snow as trade bait, but no one wants those guys. Managed in the end to off load Farell for a bit of scrap but it should do. So 6 trades and Halpern in on a free for $1M. This should be my prelim. team:

Daze - Staal - Rosa
Sturm - Halpern - Brylin
Vesely - Ott - Cleary
Fisher - Påhlsson - Cummins

Phillips - Clark
Corvo - Ference
Haller - Weller

Thomas/Snow

Hartnell and Bartecko still in there and will decide if they take a spot after camp/pre-season. Don't think that team will make the playoffs, but wouldn't mind another nice pick. ;)

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Seriously?! I've been trying to get Derek Morris from Calgary, offered some pretty juicy stuff too...and now they trade him to Nashville for a .....3rd round pick! ](*,)

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 pm

saberhagen83 wrote:Seriously?! I've been trying to get Derek Morris from Calgary, offered some pretty juicy stuff too...and now they trade him to Nashville for a .....3rd round pick! ](*,)
I tired everything in Season one to get Morris out of Calgary, but they just wouldn't budge. Fast forward to Season 2, just after training camp, Morris for Guolla straight up.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:23 am

Yeah, Morris was one of those ones that I couldn't get the other team to agree to a trade for leading into season 1. His team didn't even value him that high. He was 3 stars in the trade screen. I'd offer them a 4 star or two 3 stars and they wouldn't bite. I had the same problem trying to grab Jokinen.

Return to “Challenge Forum”