Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

User avatar
m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by m0fownz0r » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 pm

ppaalloo wrote:now I was fired :D that means challenge wasnt successful? :D
You can just add yourself again, As quality of life improvement, I would suggest to "disable human manager sackings".

User avatar
nino33
Mr. Goalie
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am
Custom Rank: Retro Rosters Specialist
Favourite Team: 1970s hockey

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by nino33 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:28 pm

m0fownz0r wrote:People like me? Do you not enjoy EHM? or the DBs you make? Have I ever expressed any ungratefullness towards you or any of the people involved in the updating process?
Yes I like EHM, no I don't really get to enjoy the databases I'm involved in creating (the small handful of us that do almost all the editing rarely have the time to actually "play" EHM)

Not sure what the dictionary definitions were all about given I'd already clarified exactly what I'd meant prior to your definitions post when I said my trying to "leave" such discussions is an attempt to avoid unnecessary conflict, and instead focus on the many hours I spend on testing and database editing that allows people like you to enjoy EHM more

I said "people like you" as you're in an online League/playing the Challenges so clearly you use the work I helped with...
m0fownz0r wrote:Have I ever expressed any ungratefullness towards you or any of the people involved in the updating process?
IMO your behaviour/posts to me today (including calling me condescending, and deciding to argue rather than simply clarify what you'd meant) express ungratefulness

You misspoke, and it seems important to you not to admit that (I never imagined you'd do what you've done...I thought you'd have just simply clarified what you meant)


Now, I am going to be done with this, if you need/want to keep going that's your choice, but I'm done

User avatar
ppaalloo
TBL Rosters Researcher
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche
Location: Slovakia, Bánovce nad Bebravou

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by ppaalloo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:30 pm

You can just add yourself again, As quality of life improvement, I would suggest to "disable human manager sackings".

thanks

Bastulon
Junior League
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am
Favourite Team: Oilers

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Bastulon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:10 pm

When It says you have to coach, can I just set my tactics/lines go into the game and fast forward everything? Technically I'm "coaching" instead of the HC doing so.

User avatar
stone169
Checking Line
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 pm
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators
Location: Southern Ontario

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by stone169 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Bit of an up and down season so far after the first 20. I'll win 4 or 5 in a row and then lose 4 or 5 in a row. I think it's because this team is so young, so the consistency doesn't seem to be there, but it is slowly starting to come along.

braeden
Top Prospect
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 pm
Favourite Team: Canucks

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by braeden » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Bastulon wrote:When It says you have to coach, can I just set my tactics/lines go into the game and fast forward everything? Technically I'm "coaching" instead of the HC doing so.
You have to individually coach each game (gameview). I suggest putting the clock and game speed at the highest to get through more games.


So far my Coyotes have sucked... I fired Tippett, sent Strome back to Juniors and recalled Chychrun back from Junior.

Is anyone else using Louis Domingue as their starter over Mike Smith?...Smith is just way too slow and old now.

These are my lines at 10-18-2 so far tied for 13th in the west with Oilers:

Domi-Hanzal-Reider
Duclair-Dvorak-Vrbata
Crouse-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Gaudet-McGinn

Chychrun-EkmanLarsson
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Murphy

Domingue
Smith

User avatar
nino33
Mr. Goalie
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am
Custom Rank: Retro Rosters Specialist
Favourite Team: 1970s hockey

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by nino33 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 pm

braeden wrote:
Bastulon wrote:When It says you have to coach, can I just set my tactics/lines go into the game and fast forward everything? Technically I'm "coaching" instead of the HC doing so.
You have to individually coach each game (gameview). I suggest putting the clock and game speed at the highest to get through more games.
As Braeden says; the key is in "General Manager Options" you have to have "Coach games yourself?" set to "Yes" & you can never "Go on Vacation"

User avatar
Tupe
Junior League
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:44 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Tupe » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 am

Oilers sent McDavid back to juniors. He had 22 points in 22 games.

I'm 18-17-5 after 40. 10th in west with 41 points. My special teams suck - bad.

Dylan Strome is 7th in league scoring with 40gp 18+24=42.

User avatar
stone169
Checking Line
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 pm
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators
Location: Southern Ontario

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by stone169 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:04 am

40 games in and I just lost Duclair and his 30 points for the rest of the season. Goaltending has been lights out for some games and just plain bad in other games. With Mike Smith being 35, it's something that I'll have to address when the season is done. I have a lot young players that I can trade for a really good goalie. And I think Doan is at least another month out.

User avatar
bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 14513
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:13 pm
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins
Location: Taunton, MA

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:19 am

ppaalloo wrote:now I was fired :D that means challenge wasnt successful? :D
Just go ahead and add yourself back in. Then go to the preferences and "Disable Human Sackings".

User avatar
bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 14513
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:13 pm
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins
Location: Taunton, MA

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:23 am

Bastulon wrote:When It says you have to coach, can I just set my tactics/lines go into the game and fast forward everything? Technically I'm "coaching" instead of the HC doing so.
Yes. You just have to actually be in the games and no let the coach handle it. I always turn on fast forward and limit it just to key highlights.

Bastulon
Junior League
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am
Favourite Team: Oilers

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Bastulon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 am

Thank you for the clarification guys!

So far It seems like a run and gun strategy is working, had to load up top two lines and put the fastest dmen in the top four, have to rely on Smith a lot but he's been fine so far.

Oilers sent McDavid back to Erie, so of course I had to send Strome back. I don't think that team has any legitimate challengers

User avatar
Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm
Favourite Team: New York Rangers
Location: Sweden

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:55 am

I'm also going with a run and gun style, so far so good with a 5-3-2 start, got 38 goals in 10 games.
Domingue has started well while Smith has been struggling, i'll probably let them share the duties for the most part.

Domi and Vrbata (mostly due to a very strong PP1) have been scoring for fun, 1st and 2nd in the league in points with 18, early days though.

I'm pretty much giving all the kids a chance to stick on the team, except Crouse who i sent down. These are my lines for now:

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Dvorak-Richardson-Duclair
Martinook-Gaudet-McGinn

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Chychrun-Schenn

Modano
Prospect
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm
Favourite Team: Dallas Stars

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Modano » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi I want to participate in this challenge and it will be the first one I participate so I need to ask one question. Is there possibility to set Canadian Junior leagues to "view-only" mode? I want to play on my laptop which is quite old and slow.

User avatar
m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by m0fownz0r » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Modano wrote:Hi I want to participate in this challenge and it will be the first one I participate so I need to ask one question. Is there possibility to set Canadian Junior leagues to "view-only" mode? I want to play on my laptop which is quite old and slow.
I don't think taht would be a problem? :dunno:

Just finished season one. My already Adam Oates goalies fell apart in the finals and the Penguins steamrolled us 4-0.

It wasn't just the goalies though, we scored just one goal in each game, probably our bad morale got the best of us.

Anyway, off to the summer and the hunt of a proper Starting goalie.

braeden
Top Prospect
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 pm
Favourite Team: Canucks

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by braeden » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:35 pm

There's no way next year can be as bad as this year...

Save us Strome! :notworthy: :notworthy:

User avatar
timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:06 am
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche
Location: Spring, Texas

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by timmy_t » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I've been away from the challenges for a long time, but now that I'm playing the new EHM online, I think this challenge might help me figure out tactics/practice/drafting/developing. Let's go go go!

User avatar
bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 14513
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:13 pm
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins
Location: Taunton, MA

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:05 am

Modano wrote:Hi I want to participate in this challenge and it will be the first one I participate so I need to ask one question. Is there possibility to set Canadian Junior leagues to "view-only" mode? I want to play on my laptop which is quite old and slow.
Yeah, sure. That shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't remember if I even selected them or not.

User avatar
bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 14513
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:13 pm
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins
Location: Taunton, MA

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:05 am

timmy_t wrote:I've been away from the challenges for a long time, but now that I'm playing the new EHM online, I think this challenge might help me figure out tactics/practice/drafting/developing. Let's go go go!
Ah! It's about time we lured you back! :-D

User avatar
axepig
Prospect
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 am

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by axepig » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:45 am

Can I sign Nikita Tryamkin as my UFA? The Canucks released him and I can offer him a contract below 1M AAV

Edit: Also is the 1M limit only salary or cap hit? Because if it's just salary people could exploit the bonus

User avatar
Tupe
Junior League
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:44 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Tupe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:56 am

Can you make a trade like player for player + pick, or just straight up for picks like player for pick + pick?

User avatar
m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by m0fownz0r » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:07 am

Tupe wrote:Can you make a trade like player for player + pick, or just straight up for picks like player for pick + pick?
Yes, you can. All deals should contain maximum two elements - 1 - 2 players/picks. (1 for 1, 1 for 2, 2 for 1, and 2 for 2 deals allowed. )

Any players involved in trades must be under contract. No "player rights" trading allowed!

Draft picks are allowed as components of the deal, except 1st rounders. Only picks for the upcoming draft are allowed.

User avatar
Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm
Favourite Team: New York Rangers
Location: Sweden

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:35 am

axepig wrote:Can I sign Nikita Tryamkin as my UFA? The Canucks released him and I can offer him a contract below 1M AAV

Edit: Also is the 1M limit only salary or cap hit? Because if it's just salary people could exploit the bonus
Cap hit, i'm 99.9% sure.

saberhagen83
Minor League
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by saberhagen83 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Started this up today, will be fun testing out the new rosters as I've been playing the 98 database a while now. :-) Have made it through 4 games so far, started of pretty well actually with a 3-1-0 record. I feel we should be decent on defense but we are kind of terrible so far (also goaltending is kind of weak I suppose), but there seems to be enough offensive talent on the team. PP/PK are terrible so far. Decided to go for this setup to start the season:

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Duclair-Strome-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
Cunningham-Gaudet-Mueller

EkmanLarsson-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Dahlbeck-Michalek

Domingue/Smith

May have to make the 2nd line stronger, right now built for offense really (maybe too much). I like that D, Dahlbeck has been superb so far. Decided to go for Domingue in goal, younger and looks a tad better to me. Sent Crouse to Juniors as I can't really fit him in this year, plus I'm not expecting much from this season so better if he has a big year in Juniors. Still have Dvorak as a callup option.

Thinking way ahead, goaltending has to be the priority come the off-season. I feel the defense is looking strong with Chychrun playing in Sarnia this year, he is actually ready for NHL action by the looks of things...but I don't want to play him on the 3rd pair, and Goligoski is good enough on the 2nd this year. Perhaps packaging Goligoski for a goalie next summer? :dunno: Also Smith has to go, but I guess with that caphit it will be hard getting anything worthy coming back.

User avatar
m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: Challenge #44 - Discussion Thread

Post by m0fownz0r » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:45 pm

saberhagen83 wrote:Started this up today, will be fun testing out the new rosters as I've been playing the 98 database a while now. :-) Have made it through 4 games so far, started of pretty well actually with a 3-1-0 record. I feel we should be decent on defense but we are kind of terrible so far (also goaltending is kind of weak I suppose), but there seems to be enough offensive talent on the team. PP/PK are terrible so far. Decided to go for this setup to start the season:

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Duclair-Strome-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
Cunningham-Gaudet-Mueller

EkmanLarsson-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Dahlbeck-Michalek

Domingue/Smith

May have to make the 2nd line stronger, right now built for offense really (maybe too much). I like that D, Dahlbeck has been superb so far. Decided to go for Domingue in goal, younger and looks a tad better to me. Sent Crouse to Juniors as I can't really fit him in this year, plus I'm not expecting much from this season so better if he has a big year in Juniors. Still have Dvorak as a callup option.

Thinking way ahead, goaltending has to be the priority come the off-season. I feel the defense is looking strong with Chychrun playing in Sarnia this year, he is actually ready for NHL action by the looks of things...but I don't want to play him on the 3rd pair, and Goligoski is good enough on the 2nd this year. Perhaps packaging Goligoski for a goalie next summer? :dunno: Also Smith has to go, but I guess with that caphit it will be hard getting anything worthy coming back.
In my game, both Smith and Doan retired in the offseason. :)

Post Reply

Return to “Challenge Forum”