Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

nine-o
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Re: Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Post by nine-o » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Just had an amazing run in my second season - 131 points in the regular season, won the cup with a 16-2 record in the playoffs, Turco went thru major growth and now has killer technicals, and Palffy potted 13 goals in the playoffs, pretty much unstoppable.

Then I went to sleep and forgot to save, so now I get to do it over again from April 15th. I hate computers. Which is unfortunate, as programming them is kinda my job...

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Red Wings

Post by Canadian Passport » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 am

Just finished season 3. I avoided the mid-season slump I always seem to get in these challenges and made the playoffs. Went into the playoffs with two hot goalies annnnnnnnd...swept in the first round by the Capitals.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 pm

How have you guys approached drafting? I've been focusing on high-potential picks the first 2-3 rounds, and then using the later rounds to fill in depth with overagers. The overager approach is working amazingly going into year 3 - I have Ondřej Kratěna, Sammy Pahlsson, Marek Zidlicky, Niklas Bäckström, Mark Streit, Andrew Ference, and Tom Kallio all playing roles on the Islanders, all of whom were overaged picks. I recommend this approach if you're having issues with NHL depth.

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00 am

nine-o wrote:How have you guys approached drafting? I've been focusing on high-potential picks the first 2-3 rounds, and then using the later rounds to fill in depth with overagers. The overager approach is working amazingly going into year 3 - I have Ondřej Kratěna, Sammy Pahlsson, Marek Zidlicky, Niklas Bäckström, Mark Streit, Andrew Ference, and Tom Kallio all playing roles on the Islanders, all of whom were overaged picks. I recommend this approach if you're having issues with NHL depth.
I got about half of the players you drafted. My tactic was to draft players who could reach my 3rd line and I drafted mainly on high skills at draft and not potential. There is a few good players with key attributes who scout say are 2 star prospects but they make 100p in AHL a year after the draft :)

Zidlicky players 3rd pair with Chara and does very good for me seson 3.

My Islanders first line center is Lecavlier now, made a nice trade for him.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am

nine-o wrote:How have you guys approached drafting? I've been focusing on high-potential picks the first 2-3 rounds, and then using the later rounds to fill in depth with overagers. The overager approach is working amazingly going into year 3 - I have Ondřej Kratěna, Sammy Pahlsson, Marek Zidlicky, Niklas Bäckström, Mark Streit, Andrew Ference, and Tom Kallio all playing roles on the Islanders, all of whom were overaged picks. I recommend this approach if you're having issues with NHL depth.
I've had some scouts dedicated to European countries looking for draft age players who are not well known. I've drafted some really good unranked players, especially from Russia. I didn't take the overage approach you did though so those players from my first draft are just now starting to be able to play for the Islanders. I also scout the colleges when I'm looking for someone to be a bottom 6 guy, either a pick if possible or as a UFA, there are some decent finds there if you're willing to look. I started doing that after season 1 because I was really disappointed with the quality of the ranked players beyond maybe the top 20 picks.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:I also scout the colleges when I'm looking for someone to be a bottom 6 guy, either a pick if possible or as a UFA, there are some decent finds there if you're willing to look..
Thanks for the tip man... I haven't looked there much actually. I always seem to have a couple scouts not really returning me anything meaningful, maybe I'll get them to take a look!

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:37 pm

nine-o wrote:
Canadian Passport wrote:I also scout the colleges when I'm looking for someone to be a bottom 6 guy, either a pick if possible or as a UFA, there are some decent finds there if you're willing to look..
Thanks for the tip man... I haven't looked there much actually. I always seem to have a couple scouts not really returning me anything meaningful, maybe I'll get them to take a look!
I send my two worst scouts out to look at the major college conferences. I use the default mission time for them because all I really want to see are the player roles and the attribute spreads. Once I see players I might be interested in I'll have much better scouts individually scout those players. Just be aware that if you have 100 scouting reports from college maybe 5 of those guys will be worth a second look.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I finished season 5 and lost in the conference finals to the Capitals 4 games to 2. Had a nasty surprise at the end of the season. I thought I knew how the IR worked regarding the salary cap but I guess I didn't. I was just under the cap throughout the season. I always had at least one player on IR but I didn't think anything of it because I didn't think IR removed a player's cap hit. It turns out 24 day IR does remove a player's cap hit so at the end of the season after everyone was healthy I went to take the finance screeny and...$34.9 Million, so I guess I'm getting dinged for season 5.

I lost Reichel too. He had two great seasons and wasn't interested in signing a new deal. He ended up with Carolina, they gave him $6 Million per year which I never could have given him anyway so good luck to him. My PP is really missing him right now. I'm almost done with season 6 Q1 and my PP% is about 9%. Ouch.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:I lost Reichel too. He had two great seasons and wasn't interested in signing a new deal. He ended up with Carolina, they gave him $6 Million per year which I never could have given him anyway so good luck to him. My PP is really missing him right now. I'm almost done with season 6 Q1 and my PP% is about 9%. Ouch.
If you run the type of tactics where you roll three or four lines, and have some decent scoring depth, I have a solution to cost control - drop these players down a line in their final contract year. In the case of your star players, set their status to "core", play them on the third line, and reduce their PP time - they'll still contribute (and probably spread out your scoring, which makes you hard to defend against) but their stats will probably top out at 60 points, and they'll make salary demands in the 2-4 million range rather than 4-8.

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 am

nine-o wrote:
Canadian Passport wrote:I lost Reichel too. He had two great seasons and wasn't interested in signing a new deal. He ended up with Carolina, they gave him $6 Million per year which I never could have given him anyway so good luck to him. My PP is really missing him right now. I'm almost done with season 6 Q1 and my PP% is about 9%. Ouch.
If you run the type of tactics where you roll three or four lines, and have some decent scoring depth, I have a solution to cost control - drop these players down a line in their final contract year. In the case of your star players, set their status to "core", play them on the third line, and reduce their PP time - they'll still contribute (and probably spread out your scoring, which makes you hard to defend against) but their stats will probably top out at 60 points, and they'll make salary demands in the 2-4 million range rather than 4-8.
smart one! You do that the entire last contract season ?

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm

kennec wrote:smart one! You do that the entire last contract season ?
Yes, with rare exceptions - I'm happy to give Ziggy Palffy whatever money he desires, for instance, because I can't bear to intentionally water-down a 60 goal scorer (I'm not Barry Trotz). Bona Fide #1 goaltenders are the other - I'll give you whatever you want if you can consistently put up a .920.

But for everyone else? This is doable, unless you're a heavy line-matcher (and even then I think you can make it work, as long as you can squeeze enough offense out of your third/fourth line so that their morale doesn't suffer). I have Anson Carter, Smolinski, Tom Poti, Bryan Berard, and... good defenseman the Isles start with who's name I'm drawing a blank on... all signed for less than 2.75 million each.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 pm

nine-o wrote:
No thanks. I don't want to deal with another player revolt after dropping a Key player to Core status. Besides, I think trying to replace the players who leave is half the fun. I did eventually make a couple of trades which fixed my problems and everything is running good, I even shed some cap room.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:No thanks. I don't want to deal with another player revolt after dropping a Key player to Core status. Besides, I think trying to replace the players who leave is half the fun. I did eventually make a couple of trades which fixed my problems and everything is running good, I even shed some cap room.
Player revolt eh? I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, good to know. I haven't run into that problem yet but I do tend to neglect morale for non-goalies.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

I just finished season 7. I have never had as many injuries as I had this season. At one point I had 11 players on IR and for a two week stretch I had to dress 4 defensemen called up from Lowell. I did not make the playoffs.

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:I just finished season 7. I have never had as many injuries as I had this season. At one point I had 11 players on IR and for a two week stretch I had to dress 4 defensemen called up from Lowell. I did not make the playoffs.
seson7? wow, how does your team look like? who are the stars in your islanders?

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:I just finished season 7.
Nicely done - how have Palffy, Linden, Luongo, et al aged?

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 pm

kennec wrote:
Canadian Passport wrote:I just finished season 7. I have never had as many injuries as I had this season. At one point I had 11 players on IR and for a two week stretch I had to dress 4 defensemen called up from Lowell. I did not make the playoffs.
seson7? wow, how does your team look like? who are the stars in your islanders?
I kept Linden, Palffy, Chara, and Luongo. Also Orszagh, who has been really good for me. I have some guys I drafted in the team now too. Demetry Levinsky, Brett Lebda, Lukas Krajicek, Patrick Eaves, Chris Thorburn, Matt Moulson, Chuck Kobasew. And I traded for Martin Skoula and Andrejs Tribunkovs from the Avalanche and I got Kristian Huselius and Stephen Weiss from the Panthers. We're in fourth place right now but we're only two points behind the Devils, who are in our division and are in first and I think we'll overtake them so things are looking up this season.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 pm

nine-o wrote:
Linden is starting to have some conditioning issues at age 35 but he's still really good as long as I don't play him on the first line all the time. Palffy is awesome and Luongo is the best goalie in the league. Chara is also really good. He hasn't been an all-star but he's a very solid D-man, legit star player.

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:
nine-o wrote:
Linden is starting to have some conditioning issues at age 35 but he's still really good as long as I don't play him on the first line all the time. Palffy is awesome and Luongo is the best goalie in the league. Chara is also really good. He hasn't been an all-star but he's a very solid D-man, legit star player.
Hows charas points? he do well in power-play?
I struggle to get him over 30p in season 3.

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 pm

How is Marian Gaborik and Patrick Sharp doing in your games?

i have 2 trades lined up where i overbid for em both and get accepted but cant decide who to pull trigger on. I still have palfy in seson 3 to a 4,7m deal 5 more sesons. Its my belief i cant resign him more after that and he must be traded a few sesons from now. Cherkavsky is not good enough and my depth at RW is very shallow so i looking to reinforce with a younger RW who can play my 2nd line RW a few sesons and then boom out to a 1st liner. Both sharp and gaborik are 20 in my game with 2 more years on their rookie contracts, and i can prolly resign them first time for lower wage.

-Gaborik is super fast with weaker mentals and good offensive and made 80p in hes NHL year(1L). Price for him is an 1-2 defender and my best LW prospect wich i can afford.
-Sharp is very balanced with both speed and good mentals in a 2way role with 55p in hes NHL rookie year(2L). Price for him is my 2 best prospects who dominate in AHL (positions i can move for RW for balance)

My current 1st line now is Heatly-Lecavlaier-Palfy
Palfy is the star and the other 2 are useally exhusted, play bad games sometimes or are not stepping up. Sharp or gabby would play with heatly-lecav in 2-3 years time when they all devolped to true 1st liners.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm

kennec wrote:
Canadian Passport wrote: Linden is starting to have some conditioning issues at age 35 but he's still really good as long as I don't play him on the first line all the time. Palffy is awesome and Luongo is the best goalie in the league. Chara is also really good. He hasn't been an all-star but he's a very solid D-man, legit star player.
Hows charas points? he do well in power-play?
I struggle to get him over 30p in season 3.
Chara didn't start doing well for me on offense until season 4. Now for me he gets about 40 points per year give or take a few with about 30 of those coming from the PP. He doesn't score a lot of goals, between 5-10 per year but he gets assists.

In my game Gaborik is pretty good. He's been consistent from the very beginning. He gets right around 45 goals per season and between 75-80 points...every single season and he's been an All-Star twice. Sharp started out slow, his first two seasons weren't very good but now he's up there with Gaborik. Sharp gets about 30 goals per season and about 65-70 points but he's much better defensively. Sharp plays on the first line for the Lightning and in my game the Lightning are very good.

I just hit January 2006 and this is my team:

Kristian Huselius -- Trevor Linden -- Ziggy Palffy
Chris Thorburn -- Stephen Weiss -- Vladimir Orszagh
Matt Moulson -- Alyn McCauley -- Demitri Levinsky
Chuck Kobasew -- Benn Turvey -- Patrick Eaves
Tim Jackman -- Sergei Brylin

Zdeno Chara -- Martin Skoula
Stanislav Neckar -- Niklas Kronwall
Brett Lebda -- Lukas Krajicek
Niklas Odeblom

Roberto Luongo
Ari Ahonen

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Canadian Passport wrote: In my game Gaborik is pretty good. He's been consistent from the very beginning. He gets right around 45 goals per season and between 75-80 points...every single season and he's been an All-Star twice. Sharp started out slow, his first two seasons weren't very good but now he's up there with Gaborik. Sharp gets about 30 goals per season and about 65-70 points but he's much better defensively. Sharp plays on the first line for the Lightning and in my game the Lightning are very good.
Thanks
I went with Sharp, thought hes ability as 2wayF was better balance for the future of the team. He cost me Salo and Mike Comrie. Comrie couldnt break into 1/2 center spot and Salo had to step aside for Luongo to finaly get 1st keeper spot.

With these rules and database i feel its very hard get devolped ready to go 22-24 year old players. The trades for the challange must be for younger players to nurse into the team with time.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:06 pm

So I'm in 2006 and just had the Olympic break and when the team came back I checked the schedule for March and...5 games in 5 days. 6 games in 7 days. No other team in the NHL has to deal with that. Oh well, good thing I'm deep this year.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 pm

What do we do if we enter something incorrectly when we upload our stats? I entered my final conference rank wrong. It turns out there were other games played so I ended up 11th in season 8, not 9th.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Season 9 is in the books and I think I might be pretty bad at this game. So far no Stanley Cups, I just lost to the Jets in 7 games in the first round. The best I've done so far was making the Eastern Finals in season 6.

Return to “Challenge Forum”