Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Re: Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Post by stone169 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 am

Notable RFAs that I qualified:

Bryan Berard
Scott Lachance
Tommy Salo

Felt pretty good with my draft. Didn't really get some of the players that I actually wanted. They seemed to go earlier, which I found surprising, but overall feel pretty good about it.

1st round John-Michael Liles
2nd round Sergei Mozyakin
3rd round Chris Kunitz
4th round Samuel Pahlsson
5th round Aki-Petteri Berg
6th round Alexei Semenov
7th round Tomi Kallio

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 am

So here's a question:

What if I sign a UFA on July 1st 1999, but he's already under contract in another league in Europe and won't be coming over until the end of the next season mid June 2000. Does that signing still count against my UFA limit for the 1999/2000 season, even though said player will not officially be under contract until the end of the season?

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 am

stone169 wrote:Felt pretty good with my draft. Didn't really get some of the players that I actually wanted. They seemed to go earlier, which I found surprising, but overall feel pretty good about it.

1st round John-Michael Liles
Yeah, in my first draft there was 2-3 players picked in the first round that was either not listed to be drafted or very late rounds. Liles here was one of them if I remember correctly, know I had him targeted but was picked in the top 20. I've noticed AI does take some later picks earlier, so they do tend to go way off the board more often I think. I assume it's something that causes these players to be projected to go so low or not at all? AI probably sees the players the same way a human player does and decides the pick is worth it and grabs him way early.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I ended up with the worst record of anyone so far on this challenge :-D
Got number 4 pick in the draft to come.

nine-o
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by nine-o » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 pm

This being my first challenge, just wanted to clarify something:
UFA signing is allowed (so long as the player is not over the age of 25 years old). Either 2 players for $525k or less OR 1 player for $1M or less allowed each season.
"Each season" except the first season, as in the general rules state (which is what I've done)? Or just each season, including the first?

Cause if I could've signed Visnovsky and didn't... I'll be mad at myself.
Last edited by nine-o on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:12 pm

MWE wrote:I ended up with the worst record of anyone so far on this challenge :-D
Who did you draft/or going to?

starshock101
Junior League
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by starshock101 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Ended up picking 7th due to the lottery ( Rangers hopped up to 4th and knocked me down a spot )

I decided to stock up on draft picks this year after the stanley cup finals ( Colorado beat Philly 4-1 in case anyone cares )

Mike watt -> Winnipeg for a 3rd
Claude Lapointe & Valiquette -> Nashville for 2 2nds
Scott Lachance -> Carolina for 2 4ths

Watt I had no place for as I resigned both Reichel and Linden, and Smolinski is my 3rd line center for now, plus the board wanted him gone.
Lachance I had only resigned with the intention of moving, two 4ths may of a been a little low but based off the draft rankings I should be able to get a couple decent players.
Valiquette was decent, he may of turned into a decent backup but I needed to add something to the deal to get it accepted, and he had the smallest role in my future plans.
Lapointe was a tougher choice though, but I decided I wanted someone who's better offensively for my 1st line and 2nd lines.

My Draft:
Round 1 - Henrik Zetterberg - Since his creativity is only 5 I don't see him becoming as good as he is in real life; but I think he'll do very well for me.
Round 2 - Vladimir Sicak - Good physicals, except for agility of 11 but I see him turning into a solid pk/3rd liner, and he should end up getting some points.
Round 2 - Sheldon Brookbank - Good strength and speed, my scouts all rated him as a future 1-2, I expect him to be a #4 though since he's stay at home.
Round 2 - Juraj Kolnik - Trusted my scouts on him, I think he has good 2nd line scoring potential, but his speed may be an issue
Round 3 - Libor Pivko - Big risk on this one. His defensive skill is nonexistent, and the scouts said he's inconsistent. But for some reason I was drawn to his 17 anticipation and 18 flair. He has decent speed as well,
Round 3 - Makus Kankaanpera - He wasn't on my radar at all pre draft, but his scouting report impressed me a lot. Hoping he can improve his passing and he'll make a great #6 and a top pk guy.
Round 4 - Matt Hendricks - I see him developing into a solid middle six guy. He'll never be great but I think he'll prove to be a good pick
Round 4 - Samuel Pahlsson - I don't usually draft older players, but I think he's nhl ready at 21. Gonna try him on my 3rd line next season I think
Round 4 - Ondrej Vesely - Another 21 year old, but I think he can make an immediate impact for us on the pk.
Round 5 - Aki-Peterri Berg - The final 21 year old I picked up; good defensive stats, and a 13 in passing. If his anticipation goes up I think I can make good use of him.
Round 6 - Craig Anderson - I wanted another goalie in my system, and it was him or Toskala.
Round 7 - Yvgeni Lapin - He slipped from #41, scored 23 in the Russian league this season. It'll be a year before he can come over, but I took a risk.

Overall I'm happy with how the draft turned out, I think the 21 year olds I picked up are all nhl ready and will have a nice impact next year.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:28 pm

starshock101 wrote:Round 4 - Samuel Pahlsson - I don't usually draft older players, but I think he's nhl ready at 21. Gonna try him on my 3rd line next season I think
You won't regret that pick, he's a decent third liner right off the bat in my experience.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Red Wings

Post by Canadian Passport » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:10 pm

nine-o wrote:This being my first challenge, just wanted to clarify something:
UFA signing is allowed (so long as the player is not over the age of 25 years old). Either 2 players for $525k or less OR 1 player for $1M or less allowed each season.
"Each season" except the first season, as in the general rules state (which is what I've done)? Or just each season, including the first?

Each season, starting on July 1st, 1999.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks man!

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:28 pm

And with the 9th overall pick the New York Islanders select...Patrik Stefan!

Just kidding, he'd already been picked and all of my scouts said he had consistency problems. All of them. I don't think I've ever seen that before, usually some of them miss that. Here's what I really did:

Round 1 Pick #9 -- Dany Heatley; LW/RW
Round 2 Pick #39 -- Sean Avery; LW
Round 3 Pick #69 -- Markus Kankaanpera; LD/RD
Round 4 Pick #99 -- Johan Asplund; G
Round 5 Pick #129 -- Alexei Semenov; RD/LD
Round 6 Pick #159 -- Dmitri Levinsky; RW
Round 6 Pick # 175 -- Alexei Tereshenko; C/LW/RW

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm

i wonder also ?? =P~

I signed one UFA first season, there is a few decent ones to get. In rules it stands 2 for 500k ish or 1 for 1mill wage each season, and under first season its only trades who are not allowed not, UFA.

"UFA signing is allowed (so long as the player is not over the age of 25 years old). Either 2 players for $525k or less OR 1 player for $1M or less allowed each season."

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:And with the 9th overall pick the New York Islanders select...Patrik Stefan!

Just kidding, he'd already been picked and all of my scouts said he had consistency problems. All of them. I don't think I've ever seen that before, usually some of them miss that. Here's what I really did:

Round 1 Pick #9 -- Dany Heatley; LW/RW
Round 2 Pick #39 -- Sean Avery; LW
Round 3 Pick #69 -- Markus Kankaanpera; LD/RD
Round 4 Pick #99 -- Johan Asplund; G
Round 5 Pick #129 -- Alexei Semenov; RD/LD
Round 6 Pick #159 -- Dmitri Levinsky; RW
Round 6 Pick # 175 -- Alexei Tereshenko; C/LW/RW
good to get heatly with the 9th. think he will be good.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:

Each season, starting on July 1st, 1999.
Correct. This is because the UFA trading window is open from 1 July - 31 August per Rule 7.2:
7.2 UFAs may only be signed between 1 July and 31 August, inclusive. If the player is from Europe and will not transfer during the UFA signing period, take a screenshot of the news item where they accept the contract. Keep this screenshot on your computer (no need to post it) in case the signing is called into question.
stone169 wrote:So here's a question:

What if I sign a UFA on July 1st 1999, but he's already under contract in another league in Europe and won't be coming over until the end of the next season mid June 2000. Does that signing still count against my UFA limit for the 1999/2000 season, even though said player will not officially be under contract until the end of the season?
It counts towards your UFA limit for the 1999/2000 season. This is because under Rule 7.2 you're only allowed to sign UFAs between 1 July and 31 August each season (and the player must accept your offer during that same window). So long as he accepts during that period then he counts towards that allowance.

cecede123
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by cecede123 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 pm

First season is in the books !

Achieved a record of 46-29-7 good for 6th in the East. Took on the Caps in the first round, finally loosing in 7 games !

Trevor Linden got me 28-60-88 and Ziggy Palffy 43-41-84 ! Now, I'm getting ready for the draft !

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 pm

archibalduk wrote:Correct. This is because the UFA trading window is open from 1 July - 31 August per Rule 7.2
Appreciate the clarification!

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Great season, really lucky on the injury front... then the day before the first round starts, lose Palffy for 3 weeks. FML.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 pm

archibalduk wrote:
stone169 wrote:So here's a question:

It counts towards your UFA limit for the 1999/2000 season. This is because under Rule 7.2 you're only allowed to sign UFAs between 1 July and 31 August each season (and the player must accept your offer during that same window). So long as he accepts during that period then he counts towards that allowance.
Thanks for the response.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:31 am

Ok. Since the bad news on the ruling concerning UFAs by the Commissioner.

I managed to shore up two holes that I had through trades.

Need #1...Top 6 forward. Traded Mark Lawrence to the Blackhawks for Jean-Pierre Dumont. Sure he's 21, but he fits in nicely.

Need #2...Bottom pairing right defenceman. Now I tried to get some better ones, but no one was budging. So before putting Odjick on waivers, I decided to offer him up to the league, just to see what I could get. Tampa heard the call. Despite previous failed attempts to pry away Kubina from them. They offered up Drew Bannister. So I asked for Bannister and 3rd round pick in 2000. Odjick is now gone, and I have my right shooting defenceman on my bottom pairing and PK.

MWE
Challenge Moderator

Post by MWE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 am

CJ wrote:
MWE wrote:I ended up with the worst record of anyone so far on this challenge :-D
Who did you draft/or going to?
I took

Brooks Orpik
Radim Vrbata
Sheldon Brookbank
Alexander Popov
Joel Ward
Alex Burrows
Mike Comrie

MWE
Challenge Moderator

Post by MWE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 am

For free agents does it go down to salary or cap hit?

starshock101
Junior League
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by starshock101 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Traded Reichel and Chebaturkin for Marco Sturm during the offseason as I needed a left wing badly, Reichel was tougher to give up but with Zetterberg and Rupp in the system, and Pahlsson joining the team he was traded over Smolinski as Smolinski had a lower cap hit. Chebaturkin was a surplus defensive prospect, and my left side was filled out.

I also signed Jamie rivers as a 7th d man since he can play both sides.

The pre season was pretty good for us, other than losing Smolinski for 2 months ](*,) I hope Pahlsson can hold down the 2nd line for us.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Season 2. My pre-season was brutal. I won 1 game. This has carried over to the regular season. It's not like I did a complete overhaul of the team. I still have mostly the same group of players as last season. One thing I have noticed though is that Palffy was amazing last season. This year, although he's still putting up great numbers, he's not putting up the same numbers as last season. The team has looked like they were about to break out, only to get knocked again. Just no consistency. I'm wondering if it's because I actually hired some staff. That was my biggest off season move.

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:18 pm

stone169 wrote:Season 2. My pre-season was brutal. I won 1 game. This has carried over to the regular season. It's not like I did a complete overhaul of the team. I still have mostly the same group of players as last season. One thing I have noticed though is that Palffy was amazing last season. This year, although he's still putting up great numbers, he's not putting up the same numbers as last season. The team has looked like they were about to break out, only to get knocked again. Just no consistency. I'm wondering if it's because I actually hired some staff. That was my biggest off season move.
I had a down turn in the pre-season too. I won 2 exhibition games out of 6 but once the season started things have been going a lot better, for the most part. The goaltending is horrendous. I'm in third place though and that's not a fluke, we're scoring like crazy so the goaltending doesn't hurt as much as it would have last season but I still want to move Salo. Jonsson hasn't been playing well either so I'm thinking I might see if I can trade him for a legitimate starting goalie which would free me up to move Salo. I got rid of all my generalist skill type forwards in the off season and brought in checking forwards because my defense was horrible last season, I've had mixed results so far. I traded Watt for Dan LaCouture and I got a third and a fourth for both Webb and Lawrence. Marty Reasoner was my UFA signing. I'm faster and I have better checkers now. Before I saved the game this morning the Devils put Sergei Brylin on the block. They took Kevin Miller for Brylin straight up, I'm half-way thinking I should load an old save and start over because Brylin for Miller is highway robbery.

nine-o
Prospect

Post by nine-o » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:21 pm

We were first overall and won the Cup. The poor draft position (last) also meant I had to get a little creative/unorthodox/insane drafting in order to fill in several gaps... and in spite of the limited staff's poor scouting:

1) Yvegeni Fyodorov: Scouts like him, great fit for my tactics, works hard and good physicals
2) Andrew Ference: determined, works hard, decent physicals. After this round I started to get creative/insane...
3) Marek Zidlicky: Will likely play on my third pairing right away, at 22 probably the oldest player I've ever drafted
4) Mark Streit: Depth D-man immediately, at 21 he's again on the older side. Will play first pairing in Lowell (I coach all AHL games as well) and likely play in the bigs when the injury bug bites.
5) Samuel Pahlsson: Solid 4th line center for me, which should allow me to unload a center for a 'tender. Again, older at 21. You may notice a pattern developing...
6) Ondrej Kratena: speedy winger, of which I need... a dozen. He's 22 but pretty awesome as far as 6th rounders go
2nd 6) Tomi Kaillo: Biggest risk, not well scouted, but as it's the last pick I was willing to chance it. Again, older at 21, but good mentals, physicals, and his technicals thus far match up nicely with my tactics. Should be solid depth.

So basically, after the second round, I treated this first draft as sort of a cheap free agency, trying to fill in depth around my re-signed core. Never done this before, so If I crash and burn... it probably started here haha.

Managed to resign almost everybody (farewell Salo, we knew thee too briefly) and have two trades (traded for them in June, resigned them on the cheap before July) finalized going into July with more likely to follow:
- Ken Belanger to Bruins for Anson Carter
- Barry Richter to Flames for Chris O'Sullivan
Last edited by nine-o on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Challenge Forum”