Challenge 18: Baie-Comeau Drakkar (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:00 pm

It seems like we all got a little busy. I've barely been able to have some 'me' time in the past month aside from watching a quarter of football on Sunday afternoon. I'm hoping to at least finish Season 4.

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: Now with capital letters!

Post by McQwak » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm in the middle of season 2, hope I post records by the end of this week.

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 pm

This is my first challenge...looks like I picked a tough one.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 pm

:-D Great movie!

Yes, this challenge is definitely a tough one. If you played the Sarnia challenge, it made this one a bit easier because you're a little more used to running a junior team. In the Sarnia challenge it took me to season 3 to get my team to the top. In this challenge, I'm almost 3/4 through the second season and I've been leading the conference for a while.

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Nope. This is my first one. Just got my team all set up and sent out about 40 hire requests to staff. Of course now I have to run off to a meeting and have to wait a few hours to see if I get to sign anybody.

42jeff
Prospect

Wow

Post by 42jeff » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Just...wow...

It's amazing what a tactics change can do to a team. A flurry of coaching/scout changes as well as a hellish training camp yielded an 0-3-1 start to the season. A minor tactical change profited a pair of wins followed by another loss. One final tweak found an incredible six game win streak followed by a loss and three more wins. Game #17 is against my fellow #1 Shawnigan Which I'm itching to get played to get my stats posted. Never fear your top center and goalie going down in game one....

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:47 pm

WOW! First season? Impressive!

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

My how the mighty have fallen. My top goalie is still laid up with a busted leg. Dunnet, the replacement is finally proving to be mortal. If I could ever get a freakin powerplay that'd be awesome. I have 206 now after game 35 (bottom of the league) and #1 has 321. What kinda rubbish is that? Next team up from me has 251. Crimeny.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Who else is still playing this challenge? I'm wondering if we should extend it until Manimal has the new Lidas DB ready.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm

I want to play it, but I'm in a huge heap of studies at the moment.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm still in the middle of season 2 but I haven't had much time to play in the last week or so.

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by McQwak » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm still planning to continue this week. But who knows?

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:22 pm

I've finished four seasons and have been in a holding pattern for a few weeks; I didn't want to get too far ahead of everyone else. ;)

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by McQwak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 am

I didn't managed to make my trade in second season so far. I'm afraid I'm comfortable with my current roster and won't trade anybody. In fact, anybody who I can spare, is not interesting for other teams.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

McQwak wrote:I didn't managed to make my trade in second season so far. I'm afraid I'm comfortable with my current roster and won't trade anybody. In fact, anybody who I can spare, is not interesting for other teams.
That is the exact same situation that I faced. I haven't made a trade either.

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Man am I glad I dropped in here today. I had three trades offered to me this morning and I had completely missed the "No trades in season 1" rule.

Phew.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:11 am

42jeff wrote:Man am I glad I dropped in here today. I had three trades offered to me this morning and I had completely missed the "No trades in season 1" rule.

Phew.

Yeah, that's one of the key points of TBL challenges. It really makes each game challenging. Don't forget to write down the trade windows as per the rules. Good luck!

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Third quarter went...ok ish. Fourth through eighth place in my division separated by three points. And I have a game in hnad. Weee.

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 am

Season one...made the playoffs. Don't know how though...seems like I've lost every other game.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

It's amazing how a good draft gets you excited for the next season. I was just wrapping up my screenshots for Season 2 went through the QMJHL draft and then the Import draft and suddenly I want to play through one more season.

42jeff
Prospect

Post by 42jeff » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 am

My draft went ok. was able to grab some speed which I noticed a lack of last season. Unfortunately this new season is stinkin up the place. Couldn't get any of my picks to sign with me....ugh.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm

So I'm into my fourth season and a major improvement, finished 3rd in the division. Every season has been better than the previous so far, and there's still room for improvement. And we have the leading scorer in the league. And he's ranked 6th overall for the NHL Draft. I'm not sure I will have him next year.

Also FINALLY won my first playoff series in an TBL Challenge. Beat Rouyn-Noranda in 5 games, lost the first game 5-4 (we were up 4-2 after 2 and the team figured that was enough and coughed up three goals in the 3rd). After that we won four straight.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Correction to the above statement. I have apperently won playoff series in teh Sarnia challenge. I never did make it past the second round though.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:20 pm

And I think that may be it for me we'll see.

I was able to beat Val D'or in 7 games in teh second round but it was darn close to being over early. After going up 1-0 after Game 1.My star forward Tom Ylonen was suspended for 2 games for a crosscheck in Game 2, which we lost, Val D'or took advantgae of him being gone and won the next two games.

When Ylonen returned he took the team on his back on with 6 points nin the next three games.

Next was Saint John. I lost both games during the regular season to the Sea Dogs and was hoping to change the pattern. Unfortunatley is was not meant to be. Game 1 and 2 were close with scores of 3-2 and 4-2 for Saint John. And I thought we had thurned the corner in Game 3. We were up 3-2 after 2 and scored ealry in the 3rd, only have to have Saint John coming storming through with 5 unanswered goals. Facing elimination we pulled out a miracle being down 3-2 late int he third Michon scored a pair to give us the first win in the series and breath some new life into the team. Then came Game 5. Saint John had thier foot on the peddle and were not letting up....until the third period. Another miracle down 3-0 after 2 we came back and scored 3 goals in the third to tie it up, only to have thier hearts broken 1:33 into OT when Saint John scored.

I'm not sure if Ylonen will be back next year, he is going to go in the top 10 of the draft and I'm not sure if that team will keep him or not, so we'll see what happens next year.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 am

Ahh, it seems my procrastination has gotten the best of me... :-(

I was entering my stats for season four and I thought I had one more hour and alas, time expired. I know that the mods already gave us an extension, but could I beg for enough time to post the rest of them?

Return to “Challenge Forum”