Challenge 18: Baie-Comeau Drakkar (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Beukeboom
Minor League
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Beukeboom » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Everyone glorious goaltender Dunnett just signed a contract with the Blackhawks in my game, will be hard to replace his 0.900 sv pct and 7.91 avr. rating next year i guess. ](*,)

Beukeboom
Minor League

Post by Beukeboom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 am

...and hes imjured for 3 weeks in POs, chance for Giroux to proof hes worthy to step up for him...rather not i guess...

Beukeboom
Minor League

Post by Beukeboom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:57 am

Ouch...fail...out in quarter finals with Giroux letting in a lot and my first 2 lines still in a slump. And the regular season was so promising...

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Dunnett is injured for me as well, gone for two months. Alain-Rajotte started out well but is now struggling as is the team. Jordan Bernier is my best player by far. I really like him

Beukeboom
Minor League

Post by Beukeboom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Baie-Comeaus own Rasmus Bengtson was drafted at Nr.6 in the NHL entry draft by the LA Kings.

Johnnyluc
Top Prospect

Post by Johnnyluc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 am

Well, as bad as season 1 was, I was able to really turn it around in year two

Ended up winning the Q. Was tight in the playoffs, but was able to pull it out.

Lost the first two games in the Memorial cup, but won against the host Erie Otters, which put me into the semis. Won that game rather easily. Moved onto the Finals against Windsor and actually kept up with them, which was surprising. They had players like Hall and Nemisz back, so I they where a machine.

We took them to 2 overtimes, but lost on a point shot on a 5-4. Great season otherwise, and we are a young team, so the best is hopefully still to come.

New Players
Brent Andrews - point a game player on the second line, was drafted in the 3rd round of the NHL Draft
Kendric St. Jacques - 16 year old 3rd line center, 26 points, solid two way play, tough
Arlo Strautman - 1st round pick, Big 6'4 kid. 38 goals on the 1st line, left wing
Davis Cipparone - Ranked 4th but fell to the second. Became the teams best defenceman in the playoffs.
Johan Sundstrom - Import pick (Not Dutter, confused that with another game i had going), lead team in points and was the top center. 1st Round NHL pick.

Outside of that Dunnett was a monster, really was the teams top player.

Awards
Dunnett - runner up to best goaltender
Coach of the Year - Dave Andreychuk
Playoff MVP - Arlo Strautman

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I finished season one in 8th place and had one win against Shawnigan in the playoffs. I'm hoping that I have as drastic of an improvement in season two as everyone else in the challenge. Here's a quick breakdown of how the season went:

I didnt' really have trouble filling out all of my personnel spots. I had to look outside of North America to get people to sign though. My Head Coach is Dave Andreychuk and he's a typical super-coach. I doubt I'll have him for more than two seasons because once we start winning the other teams will offer him GM positions and he'll be gone.

I was extremely surprised (and disappointed) about the quality of my players. Like I posted earlier, I've never seen so much red (and 1's) on my team. They make the Finnish 3rd division look like stars!

My key players for the first season:

Nathan Dunnett (even though his consistency is 9 he had a 0.919sv, 2.75 gaa, and 8.49 avg rating)
J-P Caron (#3 in the Q for assists with 58, I'm hoping he'll improve on that for season two)
Rafael Bussieres (he has great mental attributes and is really developing nicely)
Philip Richer (my #2 center and also has great mental attributes and skating)
Guillaume Langelier-Parent (led the team with 28 goals even though he has horrible attributes and missed the last 3 weeks)
Alexandere Chenevert (his attributes are still improving even though his determination is 7)
Maxime Simard (I don't get this, he started the season with a 2 in stamina, but somehow managed to to play an average of 13:20 per game for all 70 games and went 9-15-24 with a 6.87 avg rating)

Simon Olsson was a complete waste in my game. I think he played as a fill-in for about 10 games. He had a 1 in determination, a consistency of 4, and one of his mental attributes was "Easily Discouraged." I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that!

I'll do another post a little later with my drafts and up through training camp. :)

Laker2415
Minor League

Post by Laker2415 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

I just realized that I made a mistake when I entered my stats. I accidently put Short Handed Goals against in, instead of Powerplay goals allowed. Can that number be changed from 1 to 22?

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm sure they can fix it.

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 am

Season 1 just completed. Notable highlights:

Jean-Philippe Caron, despite being touted in the mid- to low-range NHL draft rankings, finishes with an abysmal -33 and is so despised by the Board and the Drakkar fans that I responded to his poor play by criticizing him and after which, the Board and the fans sided with me!

Dunnett literally stole 18-20 games singlehandedly.

Bussières is a legit threat no matter what line he plays on.

Drummondville swept us in the playoffs including two shutouts.

I'm hoping I don't screw up anything rules-wise with season two. Not sure I completely have the hang of the trading/signing thing yet.

Cheers!

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 am

Leeman14 wrote:I'm hoping I don't screw up anything rules-wise with season two. Not sure I completely have the hang of the trading/signing thing yet.
Just remember that you can only sign people you draft, and only one trade per season: a one-for-one trade. :nerd:

Marsac
Fringe Player

Post by Marsac » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 am

It's really interesting to see the differences between the randomized players, I'm sure tactics play a part too but results are varied to say the least.

As I mentioned earlier Dunnett who has been praised by several managers had a consistency of 2 for me and was released for season two, Giroux is my new starter with a startling consistency of 5... no luck with the goalies on my part. I had hoped to pick up a goalie in the import draft but both players I had my eyes on were gone for my second pick so I ended up picking an unscouted goalie recommended by my head scout who is now on my farm team. In six games he has five wins with a SV% of .955 and GAA of 1.33 so I'm cautiously optimistic.

My first overall pick in the import draft was Marek Tvrdon, a Slovakian winger who has 13 Anticipation and 12 Creativity at age 17. He is only ranked at #88 for the NHL draft though but has five NHL teams interested in him already. His weakness is that he is Unambitious (and Casual?). He has 5G 7A in 17 games with a +10 rating so there's plenty of room for growth in the stats departement.

J-P Caron picked up his play after I bashed him in season one and finished with 15G 31A +11 in 66GP but I'm still not a fan. He's the only minus player on the team after the first 17 games of season two with 3G 9A in 14GP. My other top six center is Villeneuve with 6G 16A +10, he plays on the second line/PP unit while Caron plays on the first... My bottom six centers are two draft picks in Marc-Antoine Berube and Elliot Maxwell picked in round 2 and 3 respectively. Both are 100kg+, you really can't beat weight for depth players IMO. The team report lists Maxwell as my biggest star but he is at the bottom of the C depth chart, funny.

Bussieres looks pretty nice on paper with his 19 Str and several yellow technical attributes, my AGM loves him, but he is perfectly useless on every line I've tried him on. I've had him on the first line for most games and he has an AvR of 6.0 with 4G 2A. I'm very close to dumping him to the farm or trading him if other GMs love him as much as my assistant. The fact that he lists my import star as Disliked Staff is not in his favour.

My strategy of leaving as many young players as possible on the farm for season one has atleast payed off for Maxime Lamarche who sits at the top of my D depth chart with 5G 10A +7 in 17GP. He was picked up in round 7 of the NHL draft by, who else, the Red Wings.

If this team is missing anything right now (besides a consistent goalie) it's a huge LD for the bottom pairing. At RD I have Samuel Noreau at 101kg, another player who was left on the farm last season and now has 2G 4A +13 in 17GP with an AvR of 7.75.

Players still in the starting lineup from season one: Alain-Rajotte, Laperriere, (Mathieu #7D), Parisien, Simard, J Bernier, Bussieres, Caron, Villeneuve, Langelier-Parent (disliked by my AGM but my leading goal scorer once again, I love his 16 consistency and team-leading 7.88 AvR).

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: Now with capital letters!

Post by McQwak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

Laker2415 wrote:I just realized that I made a mistake when I entered my stats. I accidently put Short Handed Goals against in, instead of Powerplay goals allowed. Can that number be changed from 1 to 22?
Post it here, if I'm not late. ;)

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Laker2415 wrote:I just realized that I made a mistake when I entered my stats. I accidently put Short Handed Goals against in, instead of Powerplay goals allowed. Can that number be changed from 1 to 22?
I have corrected this for you. :thup: It's my fault for using the wrong terminology. I actually changed the text from "short handed goals against" to "powerplay goals against" about ten minutes ago. Hopefully this will make things clearer from now on.

There's no guarantee I'll spot the mistake if it's hidden in this thread because there as so many posts here. If you find any other mistakes in the future, use the link provided by McQwak above.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:42 pm

After six pre-season matches I was 2-0-4, not that good but at least I got two wins! :D

In the season preview I was ranked at 18th.
But good news was the top player rankings where Dunnett was ranked 8th in goalies, J-P Caron was ranked 4th in centers and Alexandre Chênevert was ranked 5th in top prospects.

I managed to get a head coach with 11-12 in the coaching skills but only 8 and 9 in detemination and tactical knowledge.

Beukeboom
Minor League

Post by Beukeboom » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO , just won the Memorial Cup over Rimouski.
Was really a hard fight i wos down 3-0 games and 3-1 games in Q-playoffs but my team showed great spirit even when injuries hit them bad. :joy: :joy: :joy:

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Alright...as one of the only guys to ever post a 20-0-0 record in any challenge, I am going to give this one a go. From the sounds of it...this won't be possible this time. Looking to go 0-20-0!! That is a challenge!!! :-D

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:24 pm

batdad wrote:Alright...as one of the only guys to ever post a 20-0-0 record in any challenge, I am going to give this one a go. From the sounds of it...this won't be possible this time. Looking to go 0-20-0!! That is a challenge!!! :-D
Just remember that the junior segments are 17 games

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:31 pm

yeah i know...thanks though

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:32 pm

We are half way down the first season and atm in worst slump this far. We've lost six of our last seven games, many of them badly. And besides that the injuries have also started. This far there were only some few day injuries, but in last week or so there is already two men down for two-three weeks - and that's not so good news especially when there are only 20 players in our roster.

In moments of despair (every night, that is) I amuse myself scouting the staff. When earlier I searched for an assistant coach filtering only by the job and asked my assistant to filter unrealistic targets, the result was one. One assistant coach who was not unrealistic target to me. And when I offered him a job, he snubbed it :-D

Now I only filtered the unrealistic targets away, no matter the job. There are four pages of guys and it seems they all are Swedish unemployed General Managers who don't want to move to North America :-p

BTW, did I mention this is FUN? :-D

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:28 pm

After a horrible 1st quarter we've now played better in quarter 2. But we still suck. :P

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Just finished exhibition. Still do not have a head coach or AGM. Oh well... Exhibition was okay I suppose...in the games I was around for I was 5 wins and 2 losses. One blow out 8-2 win...we shall see how this goes. I never do well in exhibition. So far, not really a fan of anyone on my team.

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Why can't one jinx injuries? I mean why doesn't it work the way everything else works? When I come here to tell how well my team plays, it stops there. When I come here to tell how injuries have started to haunt my team it doesn't stop, IT GETS WORSE!

First injury happened to Philip Richer on December 8th, he was told to be out of action for about two weeks because of a fractured wrist. It was an in-game injury in a winning game over Victoriaville.
Then, one day after Richer injury Maxime Lamarche suffered a foot contusion in practice. He'd be out for two weeks also.
After those two injuries I wrote a little report here and in the second game after that, on Dec 13th there came two injuries in-game ](*,) - Jonathan Parisien will be out about three weeks after suffering a kidney injury (!) and Dominic-Antoine Tremblay had a bruised ankle that will keep him out for a few days.

This leaves me 17 players to dress and unfortunately only 5 defensemen.

My lines are like this at the moment, but I'll have to start all over with my tactics because of the injury situation:

Bussieres - Villeneuve - Cliche
Bernier - Caron - Darveau
Olsson - Fiset - Mimar

Lizotte - Renaud
Chenevert - Noreau
Laperriere -

Dunnett
(Giroux)

Marc-Olivier Mimar has been one of the most positive players this far. His point production could be better (5G 8A in 35 games played), but his +/- -rating is far better than anyone else's (+11, next ones are +8 and +7) and his average rating is 7.54 which is high considering there is only one other player (Lamarche) whose rating is over 7 when goalies are not counted in.

From the other end I have to mention David Cliche who is third in points scored in Baie-Comeau but still has dreadful +/- -rating of -13!

All in all I'm preparing in harsh latter part of season here, springs have always been difficult for me but with the team depth of wading pool I guess we're gonna suffer and suffer hard. So be it!

P.S. We've lost 10 out of our last 12 games now. Merry Xmas!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Been there Kuulapaa...I know what you mean.

Started okay so far 6 games in I am 3-2-0-1. I have not scored a single PP goal.

ISS rankings out. I have 3 guys! Wow...Lamarche is 84, Mimar 145 and Caron 196.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Heh. Jinx. I click continue after I type above. Villeneuve out for two weeks. :-D

Return to “Challenge Forum”