Next Challenge?

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Re: Next Challenge?

Post by jesterx7769 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:05 am

Forget to add something else about the first round picks being A tier. When they are A tier it means we can get more for them in a trade, if they were B tiers yes we would have to give them less ice time/less GP but we also couldnt just trade away first/second round guys for top level players.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 am

I was thinking about having unlisted players tiered a bit differently. Maybe make only players picked in the first half (or first 2/3?) of the first round be A tier. Then maybe stretch out B tier a tiny bit (not much) and the rest is C. I think it should still work okay because we can't trade unsigned prospects and we can't trade a player until they've been under contract with the team for a year. So that artificially high trade value should be gone by that point.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:12 pm

THe thought patterns look good Bruins no question. As for draft pick tiering, I would go first 15-20 as tier A, then 21-end of second round tier B, and the rest tier C. Not sure I Would stretch out the B tier...as those guys are almost always basically scrubs. But there is the odd gem and I could see going to end of third round as tier B.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm

That was my thinking too (in regards to draft picks). I think the re-tiering (changing my criteria for how I assigned the tiers in the spreadsheet), covering more players in the spreadsheet, and then tweaking the draft round for tiers... that should address most of the concerns that have been brought up. ATOI will get tweaked a little bit but not really much. As for first season trades, I'm still against that. I think that first season gives you the proper opportunity to evaluate your team before moving forward. I also still think that we need to name our core in season 1. That core is based off of your first impressions from preseason. If somebody isn't the player you hoped, you're able to drop a couple players from your core in season 2. No big deal.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Just a suggestion, but what if we set up objectives for the challenges? For example playing as Buffalo but NOT getting a top 5 draft pick? Or having to reach the finals with a good team? Or get X player top 10 in goals in league? Or have your goalie be top 10 in GAA? Just some thoughts to add some different changes w/o complete overhaul.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 am

I like that idea. I think it's more of a side thing we can do though.To implement it as part of the challenge would be tricky. We'd require additional screenshots but the bigger issue would be finding a way to add in points without requiring Archie to redo his scripts/app that handles the points/scoring. I don't know what would be required there.

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Hey guys, any idea for next challenge? Depends when you will update the roster but I think Europe is ready :oops: maybe UK or KHL?

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Kopi wrote:Hey guys, any idea for next challenge? Depends when you will update the roster but I think Europe is ready :oops: maybe UK or KHL?
To play in Europe, we need a good guide in how the leagues work.

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Manimal wrote:
Kopi wrote:Hey guys, any idea for next challenge? Depends when you will update the roster but I think Europe is ready :oops: maybe UK or KHL?
To play in Europe, we need a good guide in how the leagues work.
I think the Brits here could write that that in 10 min...they sure do love their hockey :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm

So I'm working on putting together our next challenge. The plan is to adhere to the same set of rules as the last challenge but with a few tweaks (like limiting the number of players you can offer in a single trade). We'll be dealing all players aged 29 and over before July 1st. Only draft picks and contracted players 24 or under coming back in return. I've only simmed until April 2016 because the 2016 draft is really the furthest one really researched.

So here is a team I'm looking at...

NHL Roster

They've also got Chris Tierney, Ryan Hartman, and Kevil Fiala in the minors.

Thoughts?

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:39 pm

There will be a new roster pretty soon, so the next challenge will probably be played on the new rosters i would assume :)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Don't worry about that. I've got it covered.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Ehm, okey :P I'm game for whatever team atleast, will you limit it to 2 or 3 players out in the same trade? I like that the age-thing is July 1st aswell instead of "start of season" like the challenge we are doing, it just made it harder to see.

Tiiviste
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: NYI, ARI, TML, MIN, Ässät

Post by Tiiviste » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:01 pm

The Canucks thing was the first challenge I've tried, and I loved it (even tho I sucked and I really hate Canucks). Same thing with Sharks would be great!

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Post by sao.phim » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Couture, Nieto, Hertl and Mueller + those mentioned prospects are pretty good core to built around.

How about Goldobin, Meier, Chartier, Roy? Are they still in Sharks system there?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 am

I don't have the save with me right now but the roster started with the 2014-2015 season. The 2015 draft in this save isn't the same as the real world draft results.

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:06 am

New Jersey looks/will look pretty miserable too in a year or two. Just a thought :)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 pm

We just did New Jersey a few challenges ago. Too soon to do them again.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:16 am

Maybe retire Jagr and Luongo and go for Panthers? Of go with them with the rules from the nucks challenge? I don't know if Jagr and Luongo will bring in too good players though.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:22 pm

We'll be doing a challenge with the same type of rules that we used for the Canucks.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:27 pm

bruins72 wrote:We'll be doing a challenge with the same type of rules that we used for the Canucks.
Modified or standard database?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:03 pm

I've got a saved game from an almost final version of the TBL Rosters v7.4, simmed ahead 2 years. It will all be explained in the new item for tomorrows challenge launch.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Sounds great! I hope it isn't the Flames since they are a powerhouse in my nucks game. I've lost 14 straight to them! :rant:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:26 am

What do you guys think about using the "hidden attributes" feature on our next challenge? Unfortunately, you can't make it a setting when starting the game. It's actually in preferences and can be changed back and forth. We'd have to go on the honor system with that. Still, I think it would be pretty cool, especially using the next new version of the DB when it does come. We'd be operating purely off of scouting reports and such. This could make things VERY interesting!

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Sure, I would love to use hidden attributes. Any challenge is dependant on a honor system anyway. It would be most interesting if it is put in a setting where you cant go by the player names as much as if you just start with a regular NHL team. Maybe back to juniors again but with hidden attributes? That would make the drafting extremely hard and difficult.

Return to “Challenge Forum”