Challenge 19: Atlanta Thrashers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Challenge 19: Atlanta Thrashers (Discussion Thread)

Post by bruins72 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Discuss your Atlanta Thrashers Challenge 19 game here!

tksolway
Minor League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by tksolway » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Yay, good Staff!!!!!

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 pm

tksolway wrote:Yay, good Staff!!!!!
Yes, but I still got out an got me a new AGM, a retired player with great atts as AC(Scott Young) and some new scouts. I also re-worked the Wolves staff( I like playing with my AHL-affiliate)

tksolway
Minor League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by tksolway » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:32 am

Manimal wrote:
tksolway wrote:Yay, good Staff!!!!!
Yes, but I still got out an got me a new AGM, a retired player with great atts as AC(Scott Young) and some new scouts. I also re-worked the Wolves staff( I like playing with my AHL-affiliate)
Ya, I replaced my AGM as well, I'm just glad to have a decent coaching staff

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:34 am

I got my ehm working again so I will be joining you guys for this challenge again. It should be an interesting challenge looking at the roster. I'm not quite sure what my on ice tactics will be. I will be spending my preseason games trying to figure out what works for them.

Aahlstroem
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Frölunda HC
NOHL Team: Hurricanes

Post by Aahlstroem » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 am

I was thinking of enter my first challenge, but there's so many rules! :P

Manimal
TBL Admin Team

Post by Manimal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am

Aahlstroem wrote:I was thinking of enter my first challenge, but there's so many rules! :P
We all have been playing this game for some years now so we know the tricks to win. This way it is more challenging!

Aahlstroem
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Aahlstroem » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:18 am

Manimal wrote:
Aahlstroem wrote:I was thinking of enter my first challenge, but there's so many rules! :P
We all have been playing this game for some years now so we know the tricks to win. This way it is more challenging!
Well, I'm gonna give it a try! :D

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm

I might be join this challenge too, but I don't have much free-time to play EHM anymore so it will take a long time for me to finish a season.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 pm

eternium85 wrote:I might be join this challenge too, but I don't have much free-time to play EHM anymore so it will take a long time for me to finish a season.
We've made the challenges pretty flexible so that you can play as much or as little as you like. We're starting out with a 3 month time limit. That means you can play 1 season in those 3 months or you could play 7 seasons. I know I've played really slow (due to lack of free time) in the last few challenges. I can't remember the last time I was able to play more than 3 seasons in a challenge. Mostly, it's just fun to be playing the same team as everyone else and seeing how everyone does things differently.

marecone
Prospect

Post by marecone » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 pm

I will give his challange a try as well. I did play one season with dakar and at the end of sesaon 1 I would be 4th overall. However this time I want to do a different approach then just applying modified downloaded tactic. Want to use more personal approach but still need answers on few questions. If any of you have time and will please visit even tactics thread and help me.
As for this challange, it sure will be fun. Atlanta misses true rw so I beleive that decision on who will play rw will be crucial at least for first part of the season.
Did any of you signed any unsigned prospects?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 pm

marecone wrote:I will give his challange a try as well. I did play one season with dakar and at the end of sesaon 1 I would be 4th overall. However this time I want to do a different approach then just applying modified downloaded tactic. Want to use more personal approach but still need answers on few questions. If any of you have time and will please visit even tactics thread and help me.
Have a good read through that tactics thread. There is a lot of great info there! I'm sure if you have specific questions (not "How do I get the best results out of this team?" kind of questions) you'll get some good feedback.
marecone wrote:As for this challange, it sure will be fun. Atlanta misses true rw so I beleive that decision on who will play rw will be crucial at least for first part of the season.
Did any of you signed any unsigned prospects?
That is very true! Atlanta has so many players that play multiple positions but no real true right wings (or not many). I'm not even sure I really like the situation at center either. There's only a couple guys that I would really use at center if I had the choice. If I were able to make trades, there would be a lot of movement here. But the fun is going to be to try to make it all work by developing talent and drafting.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm back for this Challenge as well, probably starting tomorrow evening. That'll sure be a nice start to a year. :-D

Had a quick look at the roster – cheers, Manimal – and it looks promising (i.e. challenging :-D). Does anybody know where all the wingers have gone? :dunno:

Aahlstroem
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Aahlstroem » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Círyatan wrote:I'm back for this Challenge as well, probably starting tomorrow evening. That'll sure be a nice start to a year. :-D

Had a quick look at the roster – cheers, Manimal – and it looks promising (i.e. challenging :-D). Does anybody know where all the wingers have gone? :dunno:
Who needs wingers? We're the best offensive team in the whole NHL at the moment! :joy:

Manimal
TBL Admin Team

Post by Manimal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm

marecone wrote:Did any of you signed any unsigned prospects?
I picked up the Russian that was a FA at the start. I will have him in Chicago or Gwinnett, learning the NA-game
I also picked up the college kids with junior rights. I think they develop better in the CHL. As a result, I had to ditch some minor-leaguers

francis246
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
WHL Team: New York Islanders

Post by francis246 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm gonna be entering my first challenge :). Pretty excited for this. As I'm starting now.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Good luck. Consider your first challenge to be a learning experience. The people around here know their stuff, and it takes a challenge or two to get acclimated to everything. My first challenge was the Toronto one and I sucked. I've had some success but am not as good as batdad or Bruins in terms of how long they've been good.

francis246
Prospect

Post by francis246 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm

thunderbug wrote:Good luck. Consider your first challenge to be a learning experience. The people around here know their stuff, and it takes a challenge or two to get acclimated to everything. My first challenge was the Toronto one and I sucked. I've had some success but am not as good as batdad or Bruins in terms of how long they've been good.
ahaha, yeah, I'll be happy if I can at least finish in the top 20 or 30 in this challenge. I think this will help my overall ehm skills and help me to be more patient with my players, instead of trading whenever they go on a slump :\

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:34 am

Great staff, hired a new AGM and swapped out one assistant coach for another. Just gearing up for the regular season. And for the first time I'm also GMing the AHL team

francis246
Prospect

Post by francis246 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:15 am

I actually kept my AGM, maybe I should switch him. I moved one of my assistants to scout and then signed Ron Wilson as an Assistant Coach once he got fired by the Maple Leafs.

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Ugh, Ladd out 4 months and Mason out 1 month. Rough start for me.

Daelh
Drafted

Post by Daelh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm

blueshirtnParis wrote:Ugh, Ladd out 4 months and Mason out 1 month. Rough start for me.
After one game in season three Oduya was out for 8 months with an ACL tear and Mason out for 4 months with a
Oduya was my second best d-man with the second best +- with +17 second season and Mason is the only goalie who has been near .90%.

Oh and Kane and Ladd did not resign for me after season two, and hold on guys. EVANDER KANE BECAME UFA.... wich means that i could't resign him because of him wanted 3.5p/y... stupid game... thats not fair at all.

So my two toplines looks like this now:

Olesz - Kopitar - Little
Slater - Burmistrov - Bergfors

I wanted to land a big center from NA who could lead the franchise.. I tried with both Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and som other guys, but when I saw that L.A was willing to trade Kopitar for Antropov I pulled the trigger right away. Now I have a franchise centerman who is 25, he's a big guy who can score goals and an ecxellent playmaker. Ofcourse his twoway game has inproved and he can play box play to. He put up 4 goals and 3 assists in his second game for my Thrashers.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Loosie wrote:Great staff, hired a new AGM and swapped out one assistant coach for another. Just gearing up for the regular season. And for the first time I'm also GMing the AHL team
I ditched my AGM and signed Per Backman. If something goes wrong and I lose my coach, he'd be a good fill-in if I had to use him. I also fired an assistant coach (Borgford) and hired a new one. I was able to get a retiring player, Bill Lindsay, to sign with me. He's got excellent attributes and would actually be a better head coach than Backman if I needed to replace Ramsey. Almost all of Lindsay's attributes are green.
blueshirtnParis wrote:Ugh, Ladd out 4 months and Mason out 1 month. Rough start for me.
Ouch! Injuries can kill you. It's especially bad when they happen very early in a challenge and put you behind the 8 ball to start.

My team was ranked 30th (last place!) in the NHL Season Preview. It's nice that everyone has such high expectations of us! :roll:

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I sacked the AGM too and hired Larry Robinson, he was the best I got out there. And what comes to assistant coaches, I couldn't find anyone great, but I hired a young-ish East European coach with pretty good mentals and technique-based coaching style. He's good with coaching forwards anyway.
In Wolves there are even bigger problems with coaches, as Panthers snatched Head Coach Don Lever in the beginning of October and left Chicago with only two assistant coaches. In my opinion the staff market is pretty dry at the moment...

Bad news...

and some good ones too...

In six pre-season games Thrashers scored 14 goals and snapped one single win. Most worrying one was the game against Bolts, which was lost 2-8, because in that one we played for the first time with our best lines.

Now three games in season we are 0-3-0 but I have to say I like these players! They just keep hitting the opponents no matter what. Too bad the penalties are killing me :-p

I've been forced to play Pavelec in net in all three games because in some odd way Mason got so tired in practice that his condition dropped all the way to 12%. It was odd because I rested my players in the same way I've done before. Now his condition kept dropping even two days after he was put on resting. But Pavelec has played well so I have nothing to complain there either. I just have to re-organize my lines and tactics. And I have to figure out how, because the players are not great in anything, except in being average... Well, have to keep on searching.

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Oduya has been pretty bad for me -7 and a 6.58. Thought not as bad as -16 for Enstrom. In fact I got no D in the +

I picked up Backman as well for AGM.

Return to “Challenge Forum”