Challenge 19: Atlanta Thrashers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Llaw wrote:How do you make trades like that? Getting Richards or Parise or other guys? AI just laughs at me when i try to do such trade. ](*,) What's the secret? How do you look for possible trades?
It's all a matter of timing. Player's values seem to fluctuate based on their performance and the other team's need. Also, it seems like sometimes you'll have better luck at the trade deadline. At the deadline sometimes a team that is looking like they're out of the playoffs will trade away some of their higher salary players for youngsters with potential... or the other way around.
thunderbug wrote: I'm almost a month into season 3 still waiting for a player that I want to snatch up on waivers. I have made my trade for season 3. This season I traded Antropov to the Blues for Gabriel Landeskog one of their draftees from the first draft and someone they had recently signed in August. My goal for this season is to make the playoffs with a much younger team than in previous years. I'm not holding out for a Stanley Cup though a lot of key players for the cup runs are back. I still am looking for a replacement for Mason in a few years. We will see who pans out.
Landeskog is one of the players I'm most interested in for this year's draft in real life. I wonder how good he's going to turn out in EHM. This could be a good deal for you!

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:28 pm

In my game Landeskog was placed on waivers. 3 full seasons with a rating of 6.81, 7.13 and 7.06. All Yellow and Orange.

Sorry, I think you got robbed.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

blueshirtnParis wrote:In my game Landeskog was placed on waivers. 3 full seasons with a rating of 6.81, 7.13 and 7.06. All Yellow and Orange.

We'll see how it works out. There is a bit of variation in potential for the players. Also it depends on how the player was developed. Honestly I don't know how it will work out, though I'm fairly certain I didn't get fleeced. Granted Antropov was big for me the past 2 years, but he's also getting older. I wanted to get younger and it's one of the better offers. Kane and Burmistov are taking care of business down the middle at this point so I'm not too worried.

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:06 pm

thunderbug wrote:
blueshirtnParis wrote:In my game Landeskog was placed on waivers. 3 full seasons with a rating of 6.81, 7.13 and 7.06. All Yellow and Orange.

We'll see how it works out. There is a bit of variation in potential for the players. Also it depends on how the player was developed. Honestly I don't know how it will work out, though I'm fairly certain I didn't get fleeced. Granted Antropov was big for me the past 2 years, but he's also getting older. I wanted to get younger and it's one of the better offers. Kane and Burmistov are taking care of business down the middle at this point so I'm not too worried.
Fair enough, I hope it works out for you.

I was able to turn Antropov into Craig Anderson and Burmistov into Mike Richards so was trying to say you might have been able to get more. But as you say, ever game is different. Sorry for trying to rain on your parade ;)

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

I'll say this I'm much more of a tactics guy these days than I am a trader. I used to be big into trading and singing big name players. I've been a bigger trader in the past, but I'm too impatient these days with it. I make a few offers of what I think is fair, if I get a nibble I can work with then I work from there. These days I tend to prefer to take the team and do what I can tactically with them, and work them in practice to get the best I can out of them.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Same here, thunderbug. That's been my focus lately too.

jesusrocks150
Top Prospect

Post by jesusrocks150 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 pm

I like a good combination of both. I enjoy trading a lot though - My entire family refuses to play against me in Monopoly b/c I wheel and deal so much!! Mainly because I'm shrewd and show no mercy 8-)

Of course, you see where that got me in the challenge!! :ha!:

jesusrocks150
Top Prospect

Post by jesusrocks150 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Sorry for the double post...Maybe that's why I did so poorly in the challenge - I wasn't able to get to my usual style of game play, which is wheeling and dealing...

I hope to add myself back sometime over the weekend...depends on the fam and how well the Steelers play Sunday night!

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Season #2, finally

Post by kuulapaa » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:54 pm

It's July 12th in my game now, so I made it to the second season at last. The end of regular season was success for Thrashers as well as the 1st round of the playoffs, when we outdid Caps in six games. But already against Washington one could see the difference between a good PP and PK and a poor one. Caps nearly killed us with their effective PP as though we couldn't score at all on ours. On the 2nd round we faced Devils and lost in 5. There wasn't much to do, they had three lines able to score and their PP was deadly. Thrashers was penalized less than the opponents in both series, but still both Caps and Devils scored a lot more PP goals than we did. Devils went all the way to SC finals and celebrated as winners in June.

In the offseason I started offering new contracts to our players. I decided to let Brashear and Sopel walk, although Sopel was great after he returned from his 3 month injury in March or April. But I want to start the 2nd season with a bit younger roster so I thanked them and wished them well.
Most of the players took the new contracts, but there were a few who didn't. For some reason all my players were marked as RFA's no matter how old or how many games played they had. But nonetheless Thrashers lost the rights to G Peter Mannino and C Jason Krog who didn't want to sign the contracts offered to them. Krog played some games in Thrashers last season and was a decent fill in when there were lots of injuries so it was a shame to lose him but it's not a major loss though.
Also LW/RW Nigel Dawes and RW/C Akim Aliu didn't accept my offers but their rights remained with the team. I've offered Dawes a new contract now and I believe he will take it. I haven't decided yet what to do with Aliu though.

In the draft I went for prospects with high determination and decent strength and speed for starters. Here's what I came out with:
#18 RD/LD David Musil, 6'4" 196 lbs, a defensive dman projected as a 1-2 potential, decent attributes throughout the line
#48 LW/RW Victor Öhman, 6'2" 202 lbs, a solid offensive winger projected as 2nd line potential
#78 LD Scott Mayfield, 6'3" 178 lbs, a two-way dman rated as a future core player, mobile playmaker
#108 RW/LW Luke Moffatt, 6'0" 189 lbs, a two-way winger, 2nd line potential
#138 RW/LW Roman Berdnikov, 5'11" 178 lbs, an offensive forward, strong and fast, like Mark Parrish
#168 C Brian Ferlin, 6'2" 200 lbs, a determined and aggressive two-way center, like Chris Gratton
#198 LW/C Andrei Kuchin, 6'0" 189 lbs, a winger with great physical attributes, poor man's Mike Comrie
I ended up picking more defensemen than I had planned but as it seemed that there weren't so many talented forwards to choose from, the change of plans was justified. Anyway I am pretty happy with the prospects we got and I hope I'm there to see how they keep on developing.

After the draft I started to wait for the free agency period to begin. Or actually I waited more for the season #2 to start in order to be able to make my first trade. As I had already decided earlier in the season, I wanted to move Enström, but I decided to offer also Oduya to all just to see what kind of players there would be available for each of them. We got some interesting offers for both of them (Michalek for Oduya and Stempniak for Enström to mention some) but there were two offers above all the others. Another one was from Sharks, they offered G Antti Niemi for Enström. Another one came from Ducks, who offered RW Joffrey Lupul for Enström. More reasonable would have been to choose Niemi and make sure we'll have a good goalie even if Mason would retire, but getting someone like Lupul to play with Ladd and Antropov in 1st line was really tempting too. And how did I solve this dilemma? Well, of course I turned both of the offers down. I decided to postpone making the trade on October or maybe even later, in order to see my needs better.
I also decided not to sign any free agents and wait for some good player to get waived. I made only one contract offer to G Ilya Bryzgalov but he didn't take it. I wasn't surprised, because the offer was quite low. There just wasn't too many low salary players I would have wanted this time.

Now there isn't much to do before the season start, except I'll have to decide if I want to sign some of the prospects of ours. Sheesh, the summer is long when there's nothing much to do...

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Re: Season #2, finally

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

kuulapaa wrote: I decided to let Brashear and Sopel walk,
Brashear? How did you have him?

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Re: Season #2, finally

Post by kuulapaa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:45 pm

bruins72 wrote:
Ummm... quite an ominous question...

I had him from the very beginning, he was in the team when I started the Challenge.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

That's really odd. He wasn't even in the NHL in my game. He played for a UHL team in 06-07 in mine.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:24 pm

So I finally made my waiver claim. I thought I was going to go the whole season without using my waiver claim after having passed up trying to claim Dan Ellis right before the season started. On March 27, 2008 (in game date), a Swedish forward named Johan Harju was put on waivers by the Tampa Bay Lightning. I had never heard of the guy and almost didn't even bother checking him out. He's 25 years old, 6'3", 205 lbs, and plays all 3 forward positions. He's got a 17 strength and the rest of his physical attributes are "yellow". All of his mental attributes are "yellow" or "orange" with the exception of Influence, which is "red". His technical attributes are almost all "yellow". He's "orange" in faceoffs. His 2 shooting attributes are "green" though (17 wrist and 18 slap).

I successfully claimed him, so he's mine. I'm probably not going to play him this season but I've got room to keep him on my NHL roster just in case we have an injury he needs to cover, plus I won't have to try sending him down to the AHL and back through waivers. We'll see how things shake out in the offseason and if I've got a use for him.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

kuulapaa wrote:
bruins72 wrote:
Ummm... quite an ominous question...

I had him from the very beginning, he was in the team when I started the Challenge.
Brashear? You sure you don't mean Boulton? :-k Weird, to say the least.
bruins72 wrote:So I finally made my waiver claim. I thought I was going to go the whole season without using my waiver claim after having passed up trying to claim Dan Ellis right before the season started. On March 27, 2008 (in game date), a Swedish forward named Johan Harju was put on waivers by the Tampa Bay Lightning. I had never heard of the guy and almost didn't even bother checking him out. He's 25 years old, 6'3", 205 lbs, and plays all 3 forward positions. He's got a 17 strength and the rest of his physical attributes are "yellow". All of his mental attributes are "yellow" or "orange" with the exception of Influence, which is "red". His technical attributes are almost all "yellow". He's "orange" in faceoffs. His 2 shooting attributes are "green" though (17 wrist and 18 slap).

I successfully claimed him, so he's mine. I'm probably not going to play him this season but I've got room to keep him on my NHL roster just in case we have an injury he needs to cover, plus I won't have to try sending him down to the AHL and back through waivers. We'll see how things shake out in the offseason and if I've got a use for him.
I was really impressed with Harju in one of my games while still using the 2.3 rosters, and I'd also known nothing about him before picking him up on waivers. I don't known if he's been much altered since then, but I say give him a chance and he might surprise you. He was a really good 3rd/4th-liner with me and I hope he turns out to be a good pickup for you. :thup:

Meanwhile, I'm still yet to start the second season. Maybe I'll find some time to play the game come the end of the week.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Yeah, I was thinking maybe Boulton too. Otherwise it's quite odd.

I'll probably give Harju a shot in training camp going into season 3. I'm in the second round of the playoffs in season 2 right now and don't want to mess with any chemistry I've got going.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Well I made it past the Capitals in round 2! I swept the Lightning in round 1 but the Caps really had me scared. They finished 1st in the East, so they had home team advantage. They won the first two games, then we took the next two games. In game 4, Antropov was ejected for an elbow, which got him a 1 game suspension. That's when I got really scared. I brought up Cormier for game 5, which we lost (I moved Slater up to Antropov's spot on the 1st line and put Cormier in Slater's spot on the 3rd). Then we won the next two games to carry us to the Eastern Conference Finals! It looks like we'll be playing the Sabres, last season's Stanley Cup Champions.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

And it took us 6 games to beat the Sabres. Unfortunately, we lost Peverley in game 3. He's on the shelf for 3 months now with a partially torn ACL. Big OUCH! He's been big for us this year. He had 93 points (42 being goals) in 82 games this season. In 14 playoff games he had 13 points (8 being goals). I'm not really going to be able to replace that. I ended up bringing Pettersson up to fill his roster spot. I was going to bring up Harju (who I was able to send down at the start of the playoffs without having to clear waivers) but now I've got to put him through re-entry waivers to do that. Same goes for Dawes now.

Enstrom went down in game 5 of our series against the Sabres. I called up Valabik to replace him. No big deal there.

So now we face the Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm

And we won the Stanley Cup in game 5! :1st:

Over the course of the series I lost Pettersson and decided not to bring up another replacement. I also lost Eager for the final 2 games of the series. I just put Boulton and Thorburn on double duty.

Now I've got to get to the draft and close out the season so I can get screenshots and such.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm

The awards for the season...

Antropov - Conn Smythe (Ladd 2nd, Koivu 3rd)
Boulton - Selke
Zubarev - 3rd in Calder voting
Ramsey - Jack Adams

I did my draft. The less said about that, the better.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

In my second season I made my trade in January, I traded away Rich Peverley who was -22 and Av.R 7.00 for Minnesota Wild's Cam Barker.

This turned out quite good for me, Cam is in 11 games 0+3 in points, have only -1 and an av.r. of 8.00.

In season 3 I will probably look to trade Enström away as he is making too many defensive mistakes. Or I will look for a goalie.

I actually went with Osgood as backup as I wanted to give MacIntyre and Pavelec more ice time down in Chicago. But Osgood has been a complete bust, I should have realised this but I took a chance for a season with Osgood as backup that didn't pay off. If I make it to the playoff I will most likely call up MacIntyre as backup.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:13 pm

I went with MacIntyre as Mason's backup for most of season 2 and he was okay on the rare occasion that I played him. Pavelec did really well down in Chicago but I don't think his attributes went up much (if at all). Mason had a great season for us and we won a Cup with him in season 2 but I don't know how much more he's got left in the tank. I worry about a future with Pavelec in net.

I'm looking at trades now. I think I've still got a couple seasons left in Antropov. I'd like to find a guy that can play RW and C that will eventually step into his shoes in a year or two. I should really focus on getting a goalie though.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Well it looks like I'm waiting until the trading opens up in October to make my season 3 trade. I was trying to make a trade and had 3 deals "close" to working but the teams wanted just a little bit more (and I wasn't allowed to give it). If not for the challenge rules, I totally would have accepted the deals they were asking in return.

One deal that I was going back and fort on was with the Bruins, sending them Enstrom for Bergeron. Another was with the Devils, sending Little for Zajac. The third deal was with with the Blues sending Enstrom for Backes. I got no bites on offers I made for goalies and there really weren't any viable UFA goalies. So I was trying for a center who could also play right wing. I figured I could easily let Enstrom go and bring up Valabik to replace him.

Oh well! It looks like I'll just have to wait until the season starts and see what kind of deal I can swing then. Also, I'll be going with the waivers option again this season since I couldn't find anybody to make a UFA offer on.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 am

So looking back I made an error in my report of the offseason. I do not have a waiver claim as I ended up making a free agent signing. It was one I wasn't sure about at the time, but has paid dividends. Marek Svatos was the guy, and he has paid dividends. Putting him and Burmistov on the second line has just been magic.

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:54 pm

thunderbug wrote:I'll say this I'm much more of a tactics guy these days than I am a trader. I used to be big into trading and singing big name players. I've been a bigger trader in the past, but I'm too impatient these days with it. I make a few offers of what I think is fair, if I get a nibble I can work with then I work from there. These days I tend to prefer to take the team and do what I can tactically with them, and work them in practice to get the best I can out of them.
That is for sure the way a challenge should be played - there are still some options to get a relatively big advantage in a trade, even though we are only allowed to trade 1vs1.
In early Jannuary of the fifth season I was a bit unhappy with the performance with the team and I tried to sign a big name - I tried to avoid it but I simply couldn't resist. So I offered a great, but honestly a bit slow (only 10 speed) finish Center who won a lot of trophies last year in the QMJHL (29th joice in the 09 draft) for a long term (5-6 months) injured Evegeni Malkin to be competitive in the playoffs. I didn't play him in the regular season a single game, but played him in all games in the playoffs, he was day-to-day during the first 2 series and played less minutes than he does now, but there was still a big risk to have him out for another 6 months. In the end he won the Conn Smythe with 30+ points alongside the Stanley Cup, but somehow it feels like cheating a little bit, although there was the big risk of injuring him again and well he was useless for the regular season. This finish prospect, Kangas, could turn out to be nearly as capable as Malkin is now, but it's very unrealistic.

I am at July, 1st of the 6th season and had to trade Antropov immediately as he is already 35 years old and his trade value seemed to drop every season - additionally I signed him to a huge (close to 10M , I think) contract to avoid a No-trade clause.
Luckily I managed to perform an awesome trade (without the injury "cheat" :oops: ): Antropov for M. Backlund, who looks pretty good and is only 26 years old, very physical with a lot of skill at the same position, finally I got 2 franchise Centermen with decent to great faceoff-skills - Burmistrov is performing well, but he is a totally different type of player. Maybe Backlund is able to perform even better than Antropov did.

A lot of free agents are around this season and I really prefer to sign someone than to wait for a decent waiver-pickup. Maybe a solid LD as this team is weak on that position. Burns, Meszaros and Bogosian are fine as RD but Hainsey, Kulda and Valabik are not really golden.
And I am looking for a goalie, that's been a major concern for the last, ähhhh, 5 years !? The goalie prospects I drafted the last 2 years are not far enough, I am not even sure anymore if they will ever be ready? Maybe their CA was close to their PA or the training is failing as they almost aren't progressing :-?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Season 3 looks like it might turn out to be a struggle. I didn't make a UFA signing but as the season started I didn't see anyone worthwhile put on waivers. I'll just have to hope someone turns up. I also haven't made my trade yet. I wanted to trade for a goalie or a C/RW in that short July window but didn't have any luck. Now that the season has started, I've seen a huge drop in Mason's abilities. I waived MacIntyre and sent him down, bring Pavelec back up. He's not that great. Now It's mid-October and I'm trying to trade for a goalie. I'm desperate and not having much luck. We've played 7 games and we're 4-3. 2 of those wins were in shootouts. We're not looking like the team that just won the Stanley Cup and our team and lines are the same.

Usually, I only keep 20 men on the roster and call up players only when needed. This season I'm starting with 23 men on the roster. I had 3 guys on the farm team that would have to pass through waivers if I wanted to bring them up during the season and I just didn't want to risk it. So right now Valabik, Harju, and Dawes are all on the roster but healthy scratches. Valabik did play the first two games of the season though because Oduya was suspended for the first two games due to an infraction during a preseason game. And Harju played the first two games of the season to cover for Bryan Little, who was injured throughout most of camp and then the first two games of the regular season.

So I'm still going to try and land a goalie. I've been offering Enstrom but not having any luck. We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

Return to “Challenge Forum”