Challenge 19: Atlanta Thrashers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Just posted my screen shots for the end of season 1. happy to see that come to an end.
I just couldnt seem to get this team to perform.The players arent that bad but i couldnt find any tactic or line combination that would get me consistent results.

Oh well, at least i was able to get Landeskog out of the draft.I also made two off season moves I hope will help us win sooner. I gave up top prospect Burmistrov for Miko Koivu, and got Pascale Leclaire to help out in goal.
I wanted to keep Burmistov for developing but in the challenge I need to start winning now.
On to season 2.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:50 pm

10 games in to season two and it looks like I still cant get this team to score on the PP or even strength.Not sure what to do .
Ive never had this problem before.

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm 44 games in season 2 and although the team started clicking in the end of the first season, I still can't do anything but be amazed of the way they play for me. We are 27-12-5 and leading the Conference by 5 points. We have scored most goals in the league by now and after a minor slump (3 losses in a row or something like that) we are winning again.
As I'm always building teams and not looking so much for any individual player's stats it's nice to notice that although we have scored so many goals our best scorer is only 15th in the league stats and in league's top 30 we have only three players. It means there's plenty of players scoring goals in my team and that's great.

I made my trade only in the end of October and brought Patrice Bergeron in for Tobias Enström. I was looking for a natural RW and would have gotten Havlat for Enström too, but in the end went for Bergeron because of his atts, age and especially because of his recent stats - or should I say because of Havlat's recent stats as he hadn't been very productive. I ended up not signing anyone from FA and have been looking for a waiver pick since, but there hasn't been anyone significant enough available. My main need is a goalie but I guess I can't satisfy that need from waivers. And as it is the beginning of January now, I believe I'll go for BPA soon :-p

The goalie thing is my main concern right now. I played Pavelec as my backup goalie in season #1 but sent him in Chicago for more games this season. Now he has played much and has a great AvR rating (8.18) but his stats and atts both look pretty bad. I think I will need a goalie sooner or more sooner. But before that I will send MacIntyre for his first b2b game of this season and hope for another win.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Looks like I might have got this team going. We went 7-3 to close out November with 35 goals for, 29 against. Even some PP goals. Our percentage is still low at around 12% but maybe we've turned the corner.
Still not the results Kuulapaa is getting.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 pm

kuulapaa wrote: I made my trade only in the end of October and brought Patrice Bergeron in for Tobias Enström. I was looking for a natural RW and would have gotten Havlat for Enström too, but in the end went for Bergeron because of his atts, age and especially because of his recent stats - or should I say because of Havlat's recent stats as he hadn't been very productive. I ended up not signing anyone from FA and have been looking for a waiver pick since, but there hasn't been anyone significant enough available. My main need is a goalie but I guess I can't satisfy that need from waivers. And as it is the beginning of January now, I believe I'll go for BPA soon :-p
Nice job landing Bergeron. I had tried for him but they wanted just a little bit more and I was able to give it. Of course, I had been trying to deal for him in July and you got him in October, so their needs might have been different. I ended up with Mikko Koivu instead. He's worked out well. Anyhow, Bergeron will be a good fit later on when we need a center. He can move right over.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

So I've managed to turn things around for my team in the early stages of season 3. After 7 games I was barely keeping us above .500 but after 22 games we're 15-7. Also, I'm seeing Bergfors heat up. He's currently 3rd in the league in points with 34. Antropov is 4th with 33. Also, Peverly missed a couple games with a twisted ankle. I plugged Dawes in at RW (2nd line ES and 1st PP) to replace him and he's had 5 points in those 2 games. Peverley is going to sit a little longer while I see if Dawes can keep it up.

I still haven't had any luck in trading for a goaltender. I'm not really trying to make any other kinds of deals at the moment.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 pm

40 games into season two and Ive finally got this team on a bit of a roll.After shifting to an almost all out attacking game we learned we could score, now Im slowly trying to dial it back a bit to help out the defense.Mason has got most of the starts going 14-11-4 with a 3.19 GAA and a .888 Sv %,which probably has more to do with our game style.He comes up with the big save when needed to keep us close or preserve a win.Leclaire, my free agent signing, numbers are better at 5-4-2 ,2.95 GAA, and .903 Sv%.
Down in Chicago Pavelec just won the player of the month for Dec with 9 wins in 9 games, 6 by shutout..
Defensively Im riding the solid performance of Bogosian.He is averaging 30mins of ice time a game,has an 8.63 rating ,5 goals,18 assists and is leading the league in shots blocked with 86. Koivu and Thorburn are close behind with 82 and 77 blocked shots.
Im starting to enjoy this challenge,we'll see if we can keep it up.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 pm

How has Yasin Cisse turned out in everyone's game? I'm only in season 3 but he's looking pretty good to me. He's in his first season with my AHL affiliate and he's got 27 points (10G 17A) in just 23 games. He's got lots of "yellow" attributes, plus a 17 in Anticipation (a huge benefit!) and a 17 in slapshop. Not bad for a 20 year old. Maybe he'll be able to join the Atlanta roster in a year or two?

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 am

bruins72 wrote:How has Yasin Cisse turned out in everyone's game? I'm only in season 3 but he's looking pretty good to me. He's in his first season with my AHL affiliate and he's got 27 points (10G 17A) in just 23 games. He's got lots of "yellow" attributes, plus a 17 in Anticipation (a huge benefit!) and a 17 in slapshop. Not bad for a 20 year old. Maybe he'll be able to join the Atlanta roster in a year or two?
How much is he selling that for? :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

:-p

An entry level contract! ;)

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Right, I'm in the middle of the second season now and so far leading the Conference. Mason's been playing stellar (AvR just under 9.00 and GAA under 2.00) and I hope he can keep that form until the end of the season and, hopefully, beyond, as Pavelec doesn't seem to be ready to step in yet. The defence is really helping him, though I would really like to see more from Enström, even though he's not playing bad. Top line's production is as good as it was, but the secondary scoring seems to be a little bit of a problem. I think I'll try to juggle my lines a little bit.

I made one signing in the offseason, and that's Kevin Bieksa (3 yrs, $1.6M per), who's been a great addition to our blueline. He's taken some of Fugly's icetime, and that's a good thing, cause he really is too slow for my liking. Still, not many complaints here.

I still haven't made this season's trade. The trade deadline is approaching though, so I'll try to work out something, a top-6 centre or right wing being my preference.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I would keep an eye towards goaltending, Ciryatan! I saw a big drop off for Mason between seasons 2 and 3. I've been looking for a replacement for him in season 3 (because Pavelec sure isn't it!) and it's been a real struggle! I'm in late January of season 3 and it seems that every starting goaltender in the league has been set as untouchable!

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Just hit game 60 of season two a very bad 9-3 loss to Washington.They are the class of the league right now with 90pts but we didnt put up much of a fight.
Prior to that we had been on a 4 game win streak that has us in 6th place.We lost Bogosian for a few weeks but Zubarev did a good job filling in, though wasnt contributing on offence like Bogosian.

Several of my good coaches contracts are coming up at the end of the season. i am trying to resign them for the max allowed 250,000/season but they are all declining. Anyone else run into this ??

Yassin Cisse is looking kind of average so far in my game ( no stats in the green) but I am only in season 2 and he is playing for Gwinnett right now.Though he does have 44pts through 52 games and is +15

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 pm

bruins72 wrote:I would keep an eye towards goaltending, Ciryatan! I saw a big drop off for Mason between seasons 2 and 3. I've been looking for a replacement for him in season 3 (because Pavelec sure isn't it!) and it's been a real struggle! I'm in late January of season 3 and it seems that every starting goaltender in the league has been set as untouchable!
I would recommend the same. I am heading into season 6 and that's still a big, but luckily the only concern this team has. I was dominating the league only because of huge offensive output from Malkin (won Art Ross with 147 pts, 2 ahead of Ovechkin), Backlund (Conn Smythe with 40 + pts and 9,25 AVG in the playoffs), Parise, Ladd and solid help from the blueline. Burns finished with 66 points and almost 20 goals.
Anyhow, the best thing happening in season 5 was that a russian goalie I picked in the 3rd round of the 2010 draft, Matvei Belousov, developed into a 21 year old starting goalie (glove and blocker are at 17/18 already, played 17 games in the playoffs posting a 0.895 Sv% and a 2.82 GAA).
I let him get the 30 games - mostly as backup - in each of his last seasons in order to get him the experience bonus. I think that counts a lot regarding the player's performance. So I will start with him next season, Mason wasn't good enough with 39 or 40 years - although not as terrible as I expected him to be and Leclaire isn't as good as I thought, never got above the 0.890 Sv% mark, well, at least he will serve as backup for Belusov.

If you can't land a trade for a real goalie (Miller, Kipper, Fleury, etc.) it's a waste of the only trade you have, all those goalies who are not good enough for the starting job but too good to be the backup are just useless in my opinion.. I prefer to get 4 goals a game and still win it than to try to win a game by solid defensive play - it hasn't worked yet and it won't work for me :-D

umwoz
Minor League

Post by umwoz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 am

Keep in mind that I haven't played a challenge before.

But, it would be kind of cool to see a list similar to a fantasy hockey "can't cut list," but a "can't trade for list." Just to keep things realistic, take the elite of the league, or 1-2 players from each team that you cannot acquire in a trade. Trades are very easy to exploit in this game and I like the setup in place. But looking over the challenges, as soon as someone can trade, they get a Malkin/Ovechkin/Parise/(insert star player) on their team, and abandon the "rebuild" style of play that should be the point of these challenges by immediately upgrading their roster at little cost.

Just my 2 cents.

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

umwoz wrote:Keep in mind that I haven't played a challenge before.

But, it would be kind of cool to see a list similar to a fantasy hockey "can't cut list," but a "can't trade for list." Just to keep things realistic, take the elite of the league, or 1-2 players from each team that you cannot acquire in a trade. Trades are very easy to exploit in this game and I like the setup in place. But looking over the challenges, as soon as someone can trade, they get a Malkin/Ovechkin/Parise/(insert star player) on their team, and abandon the "rebuild" style of play that should be the point of these challenges by immediately upgrading their roster at little cost.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree you on that. I did have a chance to trade Kane for Malkin in the second season but I didn't do the trade 'cause in my opinion it's a lot more rewarding to develop your own prospects and success that way than to trade for star players. But is was tempting 'cause I've never had Malkin before. I'm not judging anyone and everyone has their own way of playing the game.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Umwoz, this is for discussing your experiences in the current challenge. Your post really belongs in the Challenge Questions and Feedback thread. You're making a suggestion for changing the rules in future challenges. I'm going to place a copy of your post there. Any further discussion of this belongs in the Challenge Questions and Feedback thread.

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:50 am

bruins72 wrote:How has Yasin Cisse turned out in everyone's game? I'm only in season 3 but he's looking pretty good to me. He's in his first season with my AHL affiliate and he's got 27 points (10G 17A) in just 23 games. He's got lots of "yellow" attributes, plus a 17 in Anticipation (a huge benefit!) and a 17 in slapshop. Not bad for a 20 year old. Maybe he'll be able to join the Atlanta roster in a year or two?
Calder Trophy then held out the follow year during contract negotiations. Board would not let me sign him for the amount he was asking which was a ridiculous amount. I agreed but with not many options I tried to sign him anyway. So missed the signing window, cant trade his rights, so now he is just rotting away.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm

First season wasn't a success by any means. We finished 14th in eastern conference and 15 points from the last playoff spot. Capitals went on and won the SC against Flames.

Ladd-Antropov-Bergfors was my best weapon in offence and they played a decent season, but we would've needed more support from 2nd line and better defending from 3rd and 4th. Mason was clearly better than Pavelec and played the majority of games, but even he couldn't steal us a win all the time. One thing we struggled all season was PP, 11% is really poor and it needs to improve a lot in next season.

Draft went okay, we got the 4th pick in first round and I drafted Klingberg first, rest of the players aren't worth mentioning, at least not at the moment. I signed Klingberg and sent him back to Kitchener for one year.

Transfer wise, I traded Enström to Brett Burns because Tobias wasn't anything special and was probably the worst defender in the team. I tried to find a better deal, but eventually Burns was the best I could get and I didn't want to wait any longer to get rid of Enström. I also claimed Nicklas Grossman from waivers to bring some width to our 3rd pairing, but looks like it was an mistake.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Ippo wrote: Draft went okay, we got the 4th pick in first round and I drafted Klingberg first, rest of the players aren't worth mentioning, at least not at the moment. I signed Klingberg and sent him back to Kitchener for one year.
You drafted Klingberg? What version of the database are you using? Klingberg is already property of the Thrashers in Lidas Rosters 3.0, so I'm not sure how you could draft him? Is it possible that you mean Landeskog?
Ippo wrote:Transfer wise, I traded Enström to Brett Burns because Tobias wasn't anything special and was probably the worst defender in the team. I tried to find a better deal, but eventually Burns was the best I could get and I didn't want to wait any longer to get rid of Enström. I also claimed Nicklas Grossman from waivers to bring some width to our 3rd pairing, but looks like it was an mistake.
Did this happen in season 2, I hope? Some time after July 1st 2007? You're allowed your one trade each season starting with season 2. And the same goes for the waivers/ufa signing.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Ugh! It looks like no trade and possibly no waivers claim for me in season 3. The waivers claim isn't a big. I haven't seen anybody worth putting a claim in and I didn't really miss out by not signing a UFA because there was nobody that fit my needs (starting goaltender). The trade part is really bothering me though. I've been trying to make a trade for a goalie but nobody wants to deal goalies. Almost everyone has their starting goalie as untouchable. And then I found Steve Mason on the Blue Jackets. They he was having a rough season and in the trade screen I saw him with only 4 stars. They needed a top 2 defenseman and Enstrom had 5 stars in the trade screen. You'd figure this would be an easy deal to make in this case. Right? Nope. They laughed at me. What's going on? So after I eventually gave up on getting a goalie this season, I tried trading Enstrom for either a different type of d-man or a player that played both center and wing. Same thing. No luck. I tried different players. I'd offer a 5 star player looking for a 4 star in return and I'd get denied. Or sometimes they'd say they'd have to think it over and then they'd come back looking for just a little bit more. They'd want that player plus something, either a pick or a player. Sometimes they'd just want a 2 or 3 star player added to the mix. But we can't do that. I just don't understand why these teams can't just make a 1 for 1 deal with me!

](*,)

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 pm

bruins72 wrote:I'd offer a 5 star player looking for a 4 star in return and I'd get denied. Or sometimes they'd say they'd have to think it over and then they'd come back looking for just a little bit more. They'd want that player plus something, either a pick or a player. Sometimes they'd just want a 2 or 3 star player added to the mix. But we can't do that. I just don't understand why these teams can't just make a 1 for 1 deal with me!
I noticed that the star rating hasn't got to do with their real trade value necessarily. Often a promising prospect (even a Forsberg regen or similar) is only rated with 3 stars, but he is still much more worth than a 5 star rated Ladd or Antropov. I guess it has a lot to do with their potential abbility. The AI seems to have a magical eye for that. Their needs are also a not to underestimate reason why other teams are willing to trade or not. Especially the last sentence: "looking for young players", "looking for veterans" - if they "try to maintain their team" it's pretty hard to get a trade done with the advantage on your side ...

As umwoz mentioned, there are still some ways to "trick" the AI, even in 1 vs 1 trades. I really understand that you are having such difficulties getting a goalie. I was looking for one every single season but wasn't able to get one. They are somehow valued differently from the rest of a team's roster. Maybe you end up picking your future franchise goalie in this year's draft. For me it was the only way to get one.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 pm

bruins72 wrote:You drafted Klingberg? What version of the database are you using? Klingberg is already property of the Thrashers in Lidas Rosters 3.0, so I'm not sure how you could draft him? Is it possible that you mean Landeskog?
Yeah, I mixed up with the names, meant Landeskog.
bruins72 wrote:Did this happen in season 2, I hope? Some time after July 1st 2007? You're allowed your one trade each season starting with season 2. And the same goes for the waivers/ufa signing.
Yup, July 14th 2007 was the date for the trade.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 am

Season 2 is over and what an improvement it was, although first half of the season wasn't looking any better than last season. From there on I made one little change and suddenly we were collecting points game after game. Funny how we started to win more games, when I stopped line matching. Anyway, second half of the season was a success, we collected over 90 points and finished 5th. I was extremely happy about our PK% of 87.08, which was 2nd best in the league. On the other hand, our PP was the worst.

Playoffs started and we were playing against the Devils, whom looked like sweeping the series after they won both of their home games. Luckily enough, we managed to win the next four in a row. In second round we got the worst possible opponent, namely Capitals. It was a close series, first we got a 2-1 lead and then the Caps turned it around for 3-2 before we managed to take the series to game 7, which they won 2-1. Same team ended up winning the Stanley Cup as well, so at least we lost to the champions.

Few words about players as well. Burns <-> Enström trade was a successful move, Brett has been much more reliable and will only get better. Grossman, the waiver pick was useless. I gave him 12 games, but he didn't impress me at all. Evander Kane was our best player in goals, assists and points because Antropov was injured for 14 games. Bogosian lead our defense and Mason was godlike at his best. Hoping to get a new starting goalie in next season if Pavelec doesn't improve enough.

jesusrocks150
Top Prospect

Post by jesusrocks150 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:15 pm

After unexpectedly getting fired in season 2 (I'm still puzzled over that one considering I wasn't doing that bad - albeit I was on a losing streak), I took a little break from the challenge to play as another team (the Pens). After playing 2 seasons as the Pens and following the challenge thread I decided to give it another go....

I added myself back as GM and I picked up right where I left off....losing, losing in OT, losing in SO. Very few wins. Many players on the team are unhappy and say that they feel the team is underachieving. I've tried adjusting team, unit, and personal tactics and I'm still getting the same results. Odd thing is, I didn't change anything from the beginning of the year when I was actually winning....

Mason is having a horrible season - It seems that the games he stands on his head, then I don't get any goal support and when I score 4-5 goals, he gives up 5-6. Lately, Antropov goes on stretches (5+ games) without any points, and he's the team leader in that category. My frustration has boiled over at this point as I went from 2nd in the conference at the beginning of the season to bouncing around between 9th and 12th. I envy you people who have this game figured out. I for one, cannot figure out what the heck is wrong.

Pahlsson, who was my trade acquisition, is a team worst -14. Nice trade :roll:

This game has even been haunting me in my sleep!! :-o :-x Just last night I was dreaming about this game!

I decided last night that I didn't want to follow the rules anymore and I wanted to have a little fun! :-p So I saved my game and then saved it as another game and then started gutting this team. I made several trades and landed tons of players in return (I had a few 3 for 1 deals) - I guess the details on this would be better suited for the "what team do you play as thread". I'll post there at a later time once I figure out if the trades helped me or not....

So once again, the challenge is on hold for me, while I actually enjoy playing the game rather than wanting to throw my laptop out the window.

Return to “Challenge Forum”