Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Post by batdad » Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Well off to a great start. 9 games in I am 7-2-0. Have some injuries. Worst is to Robidas out for 3 months. Morrow went for 10 days, Ott for two weeks. Langenbrunner and Daley for 7 days each.

In the 9 games the biggest stud is Erikson. 9-4-13. Pretty good. But the biggest surprise is Sutherby. He is outperforming alot of my guys, and when Jamie went down bumped him up to 2nd line. In the games he has there...the last six...he has scored 1-6-7. Believe it or not this allows him to lead the team in assists. Richards only has 5.

Lines when healthy

Morrow-Richards-Erikson
Sutherby-Ribeiro-Langenbrunner
Wandell-Peterson-Williams
Ott-Burish-Barch
Segal

Segal has performed well with the injuries I have had. Benn is up right now because of injuries...When healthy I willl send him to Texas. Segal is up (started in Texas) and is doing all righ in a VERY limited role.
Lukowich has been my biggest Dman surprise. He started as 8th dman but is working his way in with all the injuries. He almost did not make the team because Fortunas and Ludwig were awesome in training camp and exhibition. But in the end..they both got sent down.

D pairs when healthy

Daley-Robidas
Skrastins-Grossman
Lukowich-Goligoski
Fistric-Woywitka

Goalies you can guess. Lehtonen is 6-1-0 and Raycroft 1-1-0.
Usual pp problems for me, and usual defence solid.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:41 am

Glad to see you in it, B-Diddy!

dmarchuk1
Junior League

Post by dmarchuk1 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am

darn, Looking for a #1 D man and see in August Pronger hits the block. Being August I can do sweet frak all about it. Oct 1 comes along and Lightning waive Chris Pronger. Already used my signing ](*,)

fz50
Prospect

Post by fz50 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:50 pm

bruins72 wrote:
fz50 wrote:So, I seem to have stumbled upon my regular challenge problem. It's now July 1st before the 3rd season in my game, and I'm offering contracts to me RFAs. Then when I press continue, and get to July 2nd, I get three messages which say that my exclusive rights to negotiate with Goligoski, Wandell, and some other AHL level player have expired, and they become UFAs. I've had this problem in challenges before too, but not with as important players as Goligoski. Other people have mentioned the same problem in earlier challenges too, so I guess it's not just me. Might be a bug because of all the altered ages in the database?!

Anyways, since I had a feeling this might happen I took a screenshot of the list of players I qualified, and there it clearly says that this guys should become RFAs. What can I do now? Am I allowed to sign this guys as UFAs, since I'm able to prove that the rights is not supposed to expire? How a mod can weigh in here ASAP, since I'm eager to get on with the 3rd season.
Yes, if you've got a screenshot as proof, you can go ahead and re-sign them as UFAs. My suggestion would be to get your guys re-signed ahead of time in the future so you don't have to worry about it.
Yeah, usually I try to tie up my free agents before July 1st, but sometimes they really don't want to sign, whatever money you give them. Anyways, thanks to the incredibly stupid Stars board, I'm fired again. May I readd myself again? :oops: All the great work I did in season 1 is coming back to haunt me. ](*,)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Add yourself back in. That board really doesn't like you!

fz50
Prospect

Post by fz50 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:34 pm

That is for sure! I'm so terribly annoyed. After that great 1st season were I was one game away from the conference final, I got fired late in the 2nd and 3rd seasons just a few points out of a playoff spot. The thing that really annoys me though, is that both times I got fired, I've forgotten to save my shortlist with like 17 pages of future draft eligble players. It's really boring work having to readd all those prospects. :rant:

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I had a great first season. got within 2 games of the stanley cup. Albeit i heavily relied on my first line. This year my goaltending/defense is the pits. no consistency. ](*,)

fz50
Prospect

Post by fz50 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 pm

I know that feeling. Are the board breathing down your neck too? :-k

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm

not yet. pleased with my preformance

fz50
Prospect

Post by fz50 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 pm

You lucky guy! :razz: The board have been all up in my grill for two seasons now and counting. :doh:

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Mon May 30, 2011 6:46 am

I started to play the challenge but got rather bored this time. Can't really say why?
I'm gonna try the rec-player to NHL career instead. Never done that.
A blog about it is coming soon!

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:59 am

Manimal wrote:I started to play the challenge but got rather bored this time. Can't really say why?
I'm gonna try the rec-player to NHL career instead. Never done that. A blog about it is coming soon!
I was afraid of the same, as I don't really like the Stars. :-p Still, I'm doing ok so far. Started to read your blog: sounds interesting! Good luck with Hvidovre! :thup:

Season one with the Stars is over for me. We finished 3rd in the Western Conference, but got kicked out of the playoffs by the Hawks in the first round in 7 games. It was very close, however, and I'm rather optimistic for next season.

Now I'm getting trouble resigning guys. Some of my staff want ridiculously high wages (and some of them got them anyway), and apart from that I'm thinking about tendering qualifying offers to some of the fringe guys. :-k I'm a little bit wary of losing depth, even though they're not really much of a depth...

More at the draft.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 pm

20 games in. No Richards for quite a bit of it, so no assists for him. Eriksson doing very well without Richards and the fact that Ribeiro sucks. 14-4-2. Great start. Injuries at various times mostly together: Richarts, Robidas, Lehtonen (coming back), Sutherby, Morrow, Ott, Grossman now out..it has been hell and my lines are constantly changing.

Burish sucks. Ott sucks. Williams sucks. All will leave this team just as soon as I can afford to get rid of them.

Benn-Now down in Texas. Called up Vincour for a couple of games.Scored on his first shift. Then proceeded to suck horribly in his 2nd game. Will try him one more game. Young so likely back down. I have him and Fraser playing in Texas. Fraser leads the TExas team in average rating with 7.75. He has had one game up and did okay. No points, and only 7 minutes of ice.

I have not developed any feeling for this team at this time. Fraser I will try and make a player. Vincour too. But I could care less about the rest of them.

DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT.

dmarchuk1
Junior League

Post by dmarchuk1 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 am

http://imageshack.us/f/24/tradec.jpg/

I must say I am happy I wasn't able to make a trade sooner.

fz50
Prospect

Post by fz50 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Here we go again. Fired for the 3rd straight season! ](*,) The board must really hate me. Once again just a few points out of a playoff spot on the finishing stretch of the season. Maybe I should try and change my name when I readd myself... :-k (I guess I'm allowed to readd myself a 3rd time?! :oops: )

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 am

dmarchuk1 wrote:I must say I am happy I wasn't able to make a trade sooner.
My 2nd season trade was Mike Ribeiro for Ryan Suter of Nashville. The cap hit was 2 million less and my free agent signing was Brendan Morrison so I don't miss Mike.

Ribeiro recorded 31 goals and 68 points during my first season, in his first season with Nashville he has 21 points in 21 games My UFA signing, Brendan Morrison has 10 goals and 20 points in 25 games on my team's 2nd line and 2nd PP unit. Morrison has a rating of 7.72. I've slotted in Ryan Suter as my #1 LD. Through 25 games, Suter has 11 points and is a +9 with a 7.44 rating while playing 24 minutes a game.

As for my first year's draft class, it is really developing into a group of players I can build around.

-Adam Larsson is doing well on my struggling AHL team. He has 15 points and a rating of 7.85 in 21 games. He projects as a No. 1-2 defenseman with good offensive skills.
-Brandon Saad is lighting things up with Saginaw with 36 points in 24 games and a 8.24 rating. His wristshot is a 17 and he projects as a 2nd line two way player.
-Reid Boucher originally projected as a third line player with great offensive awareness now projects as a 2nd line goal-scoring forward, a Thomas Vanek type player. He was set to make his NCAA debut with Minnesota, but I signed him to an entry level deal and sent him to Sarnia to develop with other star players like Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk.
-I also have Victor Rask (2nd line player) with 14 points in 10 games with Leksands and Scott Mayfield (5-6 Dman) with 9 points in 14 games with Wisconsin.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 pm

So Segment 2 is done. Identical record as 1st 20. 14-4-2. Guys are playing very very well defensively. They are starting to come together on the offense. However, I have noticed in all my EHM time I always do better on my PP in mid season than at beginning or end, so I expect this to fall off. Offensively I scored the same # of goals (less one) from 1st 20. But it was more spread around. Healthier 2nd quarter of year 1. Richards went down again for a week, as did Langenbrunner. Will be nice to get Robidas back in early January.
RIchards makes a huge difference for this team. When he is in the lineup we score ... alot. When out we get 1 or 2 goals. Usually some combo of Eriksson, Morrow and Sutherby or Ribeiro. Noone else does a dang thing. I mean nothing from Ott, Barch, Burish, Williams, Peterson, anyone not on the top line. Wandell had a brutal 2nd Q and am thinking of sending him down to join Fraser and Benn as my only good players in Texas.

Texas is BRUTAL. 11-20-4 and in dead last.

LInes after 40 games (only missing Robidas, although Grossman just went down)

Morrow-Richard-Eriksson
Wandell-Ribeiro-Langenbrunner
Ott-Sutherby-Barch
Burish-Peterson-Segal
Williams

Williams is HORRIBLE.

Woywitka-Daley
Fistric-Grossman (inj now)
Skrastins-Goligoski
Lukowich
inj-Robidas

Things will have to get mixed up a bit on the blueline with Grossman down. May have to call someone up, because have noone capable of playing RD left. That Swiss guy Blindenbacher might get a shot.

WOYWITKA--Not only has he been the most consistent of my dmen. COnstant 7's. He is scoring. He has 6 freaking goals!! Daley and Grossman both have 5. I never get goals from dmen. So to have 3 guys with a legit shot at 10 goals is a surprise for me

Goalies of course are Lehtonen and Raycroft. Krahn got one game in a back to back when Lehtonen was injured.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm

batdad wrote: Things will have to get mixed up a bit on the blueline with Grossman down. May have to call someone up, because have noone capable of playing RD left. That Swiss guy Blindenbacher might get a shot.

WOYWITKA--Not only has he been the most consistent of my dmen. COnstant 7's. He is scoring. He has 6 freaking goals!! Daley and Grossman both have 5. I never get goals from dmen. So to have 3 guys with a legit shot at 10 goals is a surprise for me
I used Woywitka for a couple games and he didn't do too well. For some reason I never went back to him. My left defense has been Daley, Grossman, and Fistric most of the season. Skrastins played whenever somebody was out (Fistric has had some minor injuries). Maybe I didn't give him enough of a chance?

Blindenbacher has played in every game for me so far (3 regular season games left). He's averaging 7.27 and has 29 points. He is a -3 though but most of my players have been minus, except the top line.

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:35 am

Hello @ all,
Thanks for creating another challenge! Just started yesterday and I am pretty pleased with the results so far. After 20 games we are 11-6-3, scoring 93 goals (including 14 against Vancouver with Lehtonen earning a SO and Richards getting 7 points).
As many of you mentioned this team is heavily built upon the first 2 lines, there's not much more scoring anywhere else. Morrow, Richards and Eriksson combine for 112 points, Richards is leading the league with 15 goals and 30 A and a 9.5 Avg. The second line is just ok. Ott, Ribeiro and Langenbrunner each have around 20 points.
I have noticed that many of us have completly different defensive lines, I guess that's because of their similar abbilities. My top D-man was definetly Goligoski who is the playmaker of the 1st PP unit and has 18 points (including 8 goals) so far along wih an 8.2 Avg; usually I am having problems with small and less physical players like him, but somehow he is performing very well. Robidas is doing fine as well, 15p. Grossman played on the 2nd line for the first 15 games and was promoted to the side of Robidas on the first, he has a +13 and looks like the most consistent D-man without scoring too much. My defensive pairings at the moment:

Grossman - Robidas
Daley - Goligoski
Skrastins - Fistric (top PK unit)
Woywitka only played 2 games due to a suspension to Fistric

Until now there haven't been many injuries (Lehtonen, Ribeiro for a week or two are the worst ones) and I am pretty sure that's the key to success in the first season. I don't think that I would be able to compensate long term injuries to my top players. On the other hand it would be nice to get a high draft pick this year, but I guess a pick from #10 - 20 could serve as well.
The goalie situation is not as bad as it was during the Thrasher's challenge, but I don't want to rely on Raycroft as backup and it will take some while to get Campell ready, Lehtonen is alright with his 90.7 Sv%. The main issue I am having is the Pk averaging at 82.5 %, which is pretty low even for me. At least the PP is clicking: 22.4% is one of the best ratios I ever had with a team, hopefully they can keep it up.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:54 am

After going 6-3-3 over a ten game stretch during the middle of the season and bringing my club into 9th place, I lost a game to the Predators 4-0 and the fans were enraged and the next day I was fired as GM. :-?

I was very excited to see what my team could do in it's third season, but I will never know now.. I'm not going to re-add myself, it takes away from the Challenge of not getting fired. :-p I am going to try and get rehired as the Stars GM, if I cannot I will probably stop playing and get back to researching the WHL and NCAA for Lidas/Manimal 3.2 and 4.0...

I really enjoyed playing with a team I would never usually play the game with, it let me get to know some of the Stars prospects (as wrong as some of their CAs and PAs are in the game, or maybe I just had bad luck).

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:29 pm

So the first 20 games went by great. 12-6-2 and in 1st place. Game 21 lehtonen goes down for 4 months. Next game i lose Pahlsson for 2 weeks and Eriksson for 3 months!! Krahn was still out for 2 months so I'm left with Raycroft and Beskorawany... Went 8-11-1 next 20. sitting in 8th now. ](*,) 8-[

dmarchuk1
Junior League

Post by dmarchuk1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Wow, fired for a 4-0 loss? Ouch, yet my board is "very pleased" with my 14th and 12th place performance. For the 14th I lose the final game of the season 10-0 to ANA (played third string goalie) and thought for sure I was going to be canned. I think I muddled the top 5 pick though and might only have gotten a third liner at best (we'll see).

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Alright, the 1st season is now history: We finished 6th but were swept by the Ducks in the 1st round who additionally won 7 of 8 games during the regular season against us. The Flames won it.
Richards won the Art Ross with close to 140 points, Goligoski was honored with the James Norris. I was quite happy with the performance until we reached the playoffs. Only a few players got injured - that kept us from getting a better pick for the draft, but I think that some of our selections could have a big impact in a season or two:

#20 - Scott Harrington - solid allround D, physical but a little bit slow
#50 - Rocco Grimaldi - looks like a gifted, fast Forward (C/LW/RW) with pretty good mental stats but less physical (165 pounds) and really small (5'7'')
#80 - Matt McNeely (G) - Not very far yet (11s at technical attributes) but his scouting report looked promising
The rest could get somewhere eventually but are by far not as promissing as those 3.

Regarding our prospects I chose to sign a few and release/buyout a lot of the ones being on the roster:

Lindgren, Korostin, Nemeth, Smith, Polak were signed and additionally I signed McNeely, Grimaldi and Nick Shore (#110) to send them to their Canadian junior teams - I believe that they will develop faster down there.

Released: Tousignant, Fortunus, Backman, Sawada, M. Neal, Coyle, Gazdic, Beskorowany and Labrie - all of them displayed a desastrous performance last year and absolutely no development!
Did I have tough luck with them? Does anybody of you use someone out of that list in their line up or in Texas?

The offseason was great. Jack Campell was the best goalie in training camp (on the white team he had a Sv% of 96), he made 30 saves on 32 shots against the Red Wings with their best lines at the end of preseason and developed his technical attributes from 11s to 14s in just 3 months. He will be in juniors for one more year, then we will see.
I wanted to keep him but it wasn't possible due to my UFA signing. No D-men (Jovanovski, Brewer, Phillips and a few others) wanted to sign with me, as well as E. Cole and M. Handzus chose not to do so, so I ended up signing Nabokov to a cheap contract (3.6M for 3 years w/o a NTC) - He and Lehtonen will be my tandem (will try to split the load).

Last but not least I used up my trade in early July by trading for M. Fisher from Nashville. He was available due to some financial troubles they had and I sent a strong but not dominating Glennie to the Predators. I still think that Glennie will be a good to very good 2nd liner, but I need a gritty Center much more than a relatively soft winger.
He and Sutherby will be my Pk/Bully guys along with Morrow and Langenbrunner/Ott. That way Richards will have to be way less (unecessary) time out on the ice.
My lines starting in to the 2nd season will look something like this:

Morrow - Richards - Eriksson -- Daley - Goligoski
Wandell - Ribeiro - Langenbrunner -- Fistric - Robidas
Benn - Fisher - Barch/prospect -- Woywitka - Grossman
Ott - Sutherby - Petersen
G: Lehtonen/Nabokov

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 pm

dmarchuk1 wrote:Wow, fired for a 4-0 loss? Ouch, yet my board is "very pleased" with my 14th and 12th place performance.
I started the season off horribly, but rallied from 13th to 9th in a week's span, but that 4-0 lost sent the fans on a rampage and the team pulled the plug.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 am

Playoffs are done for our first season. We went 7 games with Chicago and beat them. Second round we faced Detroit. We lost in 5 games. They were just too much for us.

Post season awards...

Brad Richards - 3rd in Ross, Won Lady Byng
Loui Eriksson - Won Calder, 2nd in Lady Byng, 3rd in Plus-Minus
Trevor Daley - 3rd in Norris voting
Brendan Morrow - 2nd in Plus-Minus

Return to “Challenge Forum”