Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 pm

My first season draft...

Rd1 21st Dougie Hamilton RD 6'4" 194 lbs CAN
Rd2 51st Michael St. Croix C 5'11 163 lbs CAN
Rd3 81st Seth Ambroz C/LW/RW 6'3" 211 lbs USA
Rd4 111th Oscar Klefbom RD/LD 6'3" 200 lbs SWE
Rd5 141st Dean Kukan LD 6'1" 189 lbs SUI
Rd6 171st Max Friberg LW/RW 5'11" 187 lbs SWE
Rd7 201st Nikita Gusev C 5'10" 196 lbs RUS

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:44 pm

IRL-Michael St Croix is a decent player. Not sure how he is in EHM. In particular, WHL players need a revamp in the game. They seem to have had the least updates. Guys like Brayden McNabb, Griffin Reinhart, Duncan Siemens, all way better IRL than in the game. Same for a kid like Ty Rattie, Sven Bartcshi. But I know...time time.

I am really looking forward to getting through season 1 and into draft. I like the game much better when I am drafting my own guys and developing my own guys.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Just so you know, Manimal has got a WHL researcher now (bestrafer7) and he's working on updating the WHL. So you'll definitely see the WHL better represented in the future.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:59 am

Just wanted to post an update about my 1st draft and off-season.

My 2007 draft went as follows:

1st Rnd - Dougie Hamilton - RD, 6'4" 194 lbs, 79 points last year for Niagra in the OHL
2nd Rnd - Garrett Clarke - LD, 6' 202 lbs, 220 hits last year in the QMJHL
3rd Rnd - Mark Scheifele - C/RW, 6'3" 180 lbs, a right-handed center with 2nd line potential
4th Rnd - Marek Tvrdon - RW/LW, 6' 180 lbs, off-wing shooter also with 2nd line potential
5th Rnd - Matthew Esposito - C, 6'1" 180 lbs, college player @ Bowling Green, 18 determination
6th Rnd - Reid Boucher - LW/C, 5'11" 185 lbs, college player @ University of Denver, 3rd/4th line potential
7th Rnd - Christian Knowlton - C, 5'9" 191 lbs, also @ University of Denver, possibly a steal since a few scouts have him as having 2nd line potential

In my first free agency I looked to pick up either a defenseman or a right-handed forward. I like having the off-wing shot available for the power play and almost all of our forwards are left-handed. I made offers to Scott Hannan and Erik Cole, and both players quickly signed with other teams so I offered a contract to Justin Williams and he accepted (3 years @ 1.1 mil per year). For my trade, I really wanted a tough defenseman and was willing to trade one of mine away for a right-hander. I had offers out for a lot of the younger guys like Luke Schenn and Drew Doughty but the two that I got replies on were for Brooks Orpik and Mike Komisarek. I ended up sending Trevor Daley to Toronto for Komisarek and I'm looking forward to his physical presence (6'4" 242 lbs) on my blue line.

Training camp went well. Justin Williams averaged an 8 through the 4 team scrimmages. Komisarek was a little disappointing with a 6.75 avg. Also, Andrew Raycroft looked great with a 7.75 avg rating while Kari Lehtonen averaged 5.75. (I understand that these are just scrimmages but I think you can learn a little bit about you players during them)

Next up I have 5 preseason games and I'm trying to figure out how play a little defensively this year. I'm not asking for much, just a GAA under 3.5... :dunno:

I was going to play with a 1-1-3 neutral zone and a 3-2 forecheck. Maybe set my LW's to defensive along with the d-men?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 am

My Head Scout and AGM wanted me to take Scheifele in the second round but I didn't. They also wanted me to take a Russian center (names starts with a K but can't remember it) instead of Hamilton in the first. He was too much like my current centers for my liking. Anyhow, I do my own thing.

Hamilton was invited to my camp, along with all of the other prospects I drafted. I had an injury to one of the other defensemen in camp and Dougie got solid playing time. He looked so good that I signed him even though I planned to leave him in juniors. I've got 10 games to decide if I'm keeping him up or sending him back now. I really like him though. I didn't re-sign Skraskins. Blindenbacher is a scratch and Fistric and Woywitka are fighting for a spot. I like having Fistric for the physical element but Woywitka is a better all-around defenseman. We'll see how it plays out.

In previous games I didn't make any UFA signings and held out for waivers instead. Not this time. I went for tier 2. I signed 2 guys for $525k or less. I made some offers and the two that were accepted were Graham Mink and Craig Adams. This allows me to put Adams on my 3rd line with Ott and Sutherby, giving me a really nice checking line. He'll also play PK. Mink is centering my 4th line and doing some PK duty. Barch was waived, cleared, and sent down to the AHL. Toby Peterson was as well. They didn't belong on this team. Jason Williams is still with us but a scratch. He's ok in an offensive role. I guess he'll do if Langenbrunner gets hurt.

I haven't made my trade yet. I figure we'll see how that plays out during the season.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm

bruins72 wrote:My Head Scout and AGM wanted me to take Scheifele in the second round...
I can't remember if they suggested him to me or not. I often set attribute criteria (and/or positional criteria) and then ask the scouts to recommend players based on those attributes. I hate it when they suggest someone with glaring weaknesses. I invited a bunch of guys to camp too, and while both Hamilton and Clarke looked good, I didn't sign either of them.

Speaking of signing prospects, I feel like Jack Campbell's entry level contract was completely wasted because he had to be sent back to Windsor again. I don't think any of his attributes have improved at all. :(

I went 4-1 in preseason and was ranked either 20th or 21st. My lines so far look like this:

Morrow - Richards - Eriksson
Ott - Ribeiro - Justin Williams
Petersen - Langenbrunner - Jason Williams
Barch - Sutherby - Burish

Grossman - Goligoski
Woywitka - Robidas
Fistric - Komisarek

Lehtonen
Krahn (Raycroft finished preseason with a blown UCL)

I still need to figure out what kind of tactic works with this team. I was kind of spoiled with my two CHL challenge teams because I just had a bunch of big & bad kids that started to roll over the smaller kids in the second season. My tactics were attack, be aggressive, and hit hard. But right now I have a lot of smaller guys than I would regularly want. Four of my top six forwards are around 180 lbs. Boo! :-x

I'm really looking forward to drafting once the regens are here because I can be picky. I may try to continue with this save after we finish the challenge...
(I actually have 4 or 5 save points from the two CHL challenges; that was really fun!)

As previously stated, I am really looking forward to hearing from some of the other challenge players. Ten people have finished the second season and I think we've only heard from one or two people (Besides B72 and Batdad). Come on people!! :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes, the Challenge thread has been very quiet this time around even though we've got decent participation. Please, every who is playing the challenge, join in the discussion! That's half the fun of these challenges!

I do the same thing (setting criteria and telling scouts to only recommend those who meet it) when I draft. There are certain types of players I just don't want to hear about. I almost always set Determination, Work Rate, and Teamwork to at least 8. Depending on the round and what type of player I'm looking for I might add other criteria. I always go BPA (meeting those 3 criteria) in the first round. I'll take a look at BPA in the second round but if there's not a standout, I'll look for the opposite of what I drafted in the first round. If I drafted defense in the first round, I'll often draft a forward in the second. I'll also look at BPA in the third round but from there on I'm looking for specific positions. I try to cover all the bases. There's often drafts where I'm not drafting a goalie though. I'm not going to waste a pick if there isn't anyone worth it.

5 games into the season and things aren't looking as good as they did in the preseason. In 9 preseason games Hamilton had an 8.00 average rating, 7 points, +4, and 12 PIM. He played the first 3 games of the regular season and had a 6.33 average rating, no points. +0, and 4 PIM. He also had 2 giveaways in those 3 games compared to 4 giveaways in the 9 preseason. Maybe he's not ready yet? I'm not sending him back yet. I'm going to try some different defense combos and see if anyone else does better and then maybe give him a chance in a different pairing.

Despite the fact that it looks like a better line on paper, my third line is having a bit of trouble. Sutherby has a 5.80 average rating. That perplexes me. How am I misusing him? Ott is on his LW with a 6.40 average rating. Adams is on his RW and looking pretty good with a 7.40 average rating.

Here are my current lines...

Morrow - Richards - Eriksson
Wandell - Ribeiro - Langenbrunner
Ott - Sutherby - Adams
Wathier - Mink - Burish

Daley - Grossman/Hamilton
Woywitka/Grossman - Goligoski
Fistric - Robidas

Lehtonen - Raycroft

Extra: Williams - Blindenbacher

Surprisingly, Fistric has been my key defensive performer. In 5 games he's got 2 assists, -2, 72 PIM, 8.20 average rating, 15 hits, 5 takeaways, 0 giveaways, 12 shots blocked, 4 fights with 2 wins... all in just 11:59 ATOI. I can't really complain!

I'm thinking about going for a forward with my trade. I've got the defense covered, I think. Most of these guys are serviceable and I've got a little depth there. The forward depth chart is a bit hairier. Langenbrunner is 36 years old. I don't have long before his performance really starts to dip. Williams is not the answer to replace him. Things are also a bit weak on the LW. Wandell plays above his attributes but he's also not that great. I'd love to replace him as well. The problem is, Benn is my best LW prospect closest to being NHL ready. He's not very good though (I think I got a bad "roll" on his random PA). My scouts compare him to Eric Nystrom and say he's got third line potential. I'd rather use him as trade bait. So I guess I should keep him at LW on the second line and use Benn to get a RW to replace Langenbrunner next season (so younger and able to be sent to the AHL for this season). Or do I try to replace Langenbrunner via Tier 1 UFA or trade next season and go for the LW now? I'd also love to replace Ribeiro (he's not my type of player) but that's not a priority and can be taken care of in another season. I guess I'll start looking at what I might be able to do.

I'm not playing this challenge as quickly as I'd like to but I still want to get at least 4 season in before the deadline. I hope I can!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:35 pm

I hate Steve Ott on this team. I cannot get more than 1 game out of him with a 7. Then it is back to 6,5,6,6,5,6..then maybe another 7. I have him playing my superpest style, but this guy just don't like it apparently.Who coded his attitude? He should love being an idjit like Marchand and Lapierre. I guess it is because he does not speak French?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, I have the same issues as Ott. He's got nice looking attributes but he just doesn't seem to do anything that well for us.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Heh. No sooner do I shred Ott....Gordie Howe hattrick. Beats up McLaren, scores the game winner on a pass from Ribeiro, and then moves the puck to Langenbrunner who puts it in open net. Next game is a guaranteed 4 rating after a 9

Edit: No...he followed that up with another 1-1. What the Dickens? Must be a 2 next game?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Double post. Ott just did the 1-1 for the third straight game. Ratings in those games have gone 9-8-7. THink I should bench him for the next game.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 pm

You're tempting fate. I think you'd better bench him fast! :razz:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 am

After those three games...into all star break. Bet he cools off.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 pm

FIrst game after all star break :Gme 57 Steve Ott. Zero shots, -2, 4PIM, 1GA....5 rating. That is more like it!!

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:27 pm

batdad wrote:FIrst game after all star break :Gme 57 Steve Ott. Zero shots, -2, 4PIM, 1GA....5 rating. That is more like it!!
I can't understand Ott either. In the first season he had 52 points in 57 games on the 2nd line with Ribeiro and Langenbrunner. But, while Ribeiro averaged 7.63 and Langenbrunner averaged 8.03 for the season, Ott averaged 7.07. :-k

I'm tired of his crazy inconsistency too. Here are his last 15 games: 7-9-7-8-7-5-5-7-8-6-8-5-5-8-8. :doh:

Do I need to let him fight or something? :dunno:

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Got some time to play, finally.

Draft 2007:

#24: Brett Ritchie, CAN, RW, 6'3" 189 lbs, Sarnia Sting. I drafted Ritchie in the Thrashers Challegne as well but in some of the later rounds. Maybe I finally get to see how he develops.
#54: Dougie Hamilton, CAN, RD, 6'4" 191 lbs, Niagara Ice Dogs. He dropped to the 2nd round and my scouts aren't that high on him, but he looks promising enough to me.
#84: J.T. Barnett, USA, LW, 6'2" 194 lbs, Kamloops Blazers. Projected to be a third-line grinder. Arizona-native.
#114: Seth Ambroz, USA, C/LW/RW, 6'4" 213 lbs, Omaha Lancers. Big, strong centre.
#144: Dean Kukan, SUI, LD, 6'1" 189 lbs, GCK Lions. Defensive-minded guy who is said to have 2nd pairing potential.
#174: Jonathan Lavoie, CAN, 5'10", 169 lbs, Rimouski Oceanic. Winger in the mould of Ryan Smyth.
#204: Rasmus Bengtsson, LD, SWE, 6'2" 194 lbs, Rögle BK. Defender compared to Ehrhoff.

Funny thing, Timmy, I did my draft before you guys posted your choices, and we end up drafting very similarly. Bill has Hamilton as well. B, I see you're already trying Hamilton in the big club, and he does have some nice attributes already. :-k

Now the offseason. Don't see many interesting names...

batdad wrote:FIrst game after all star break :Gme 57 Steve Ott. Zero shots, -2, 4PIM, 1GA....5 rating. That is more like it!!
Just the sort of performances I managed to get out of him! Serious question, guys: does anybody have any clue how to play Ott and Sutherby? For me, last season they went:

S.Ott 80GP 13G 23A 36 +8 AvR 6.40
B.Sutherby 82GP 16G 17A 33P +5 AvR 6.61

In other words, they were terrible. Both of them should be way more effective. I must say I'd love to play them in a shutdown role on my third line, but I've had miserably failed so far. Any ideas? :dunno:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Not really sure. Experimenting with Ott. Those three games came right after he won a fight. His last two he has 5 ratings. Going to try encourage for fight and see what happens. It worries me because I think he is going to lose alot of fights.

Sutherby-I have him as my 3 line centre. As soon as he does something (7 rate with at least one pt) up he goes to line two on LW, and he gets PP time in addition to his PK time he always gets) his avg rating for me is 6.72. Games where he stays at 6 are rare. He usually does this over 10 games in some order. 8-7-5-7-8-6-7-5-7-6. He often has 3 8s and 3 5s in 10 games. It is so odd how polar he is.

ETA: Hmmm.. curious. I put Ott on Encouraged. He did not fight, but did take a roughing penalty. He ended up with....yeah you guessed it 1-1-2 plus 2 2 shots, 2PIM, and an 8 rating.

Lets see what happens here...another streak?

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Círyatan wrote:
Just the sort of performances I managed to get out of him! Serious question, guys: does anybody have any clue how to play Ott and Sutherby? For me, last season they went:

S.Ott 80GP 13G 23A 36 +8 AvR 6.40
B.Sutherby 82GP 16G 17A 33P +5 AvR 6.61

In other words, they were terrible. Both of them should be way more effective. I must say I'd love to play them in a shutdown role on my third line, but I've had miserably failed so far. Any ideas? :dunno:
Even though his attributes look good for a defensive forward I think Ott's size + weight impede a better performance. I see him more as a playmaker. Actually my third line, that is set to normal style, looks like this after 20 games: Ott (6G 14P +6 7.2AVG) - Fisher (6 13 +5 7.75) - Sutherby (5 10 +5 7.4)
Ott is the playmaker, Fisher the shooter, Sutherby takes the FO and is playing more defensively. Against outstanding 1st lines - like the Canuck's for example - I set the line on defensive play and match lines 1vs3 - 3vs1. They seem to score more regularily against those top lines, don't know why!?

I finished the 2nd season a while ago, but I didn't like the regular season at all, I thought we could do much better, especially the 1st line around Richards and Morrow. In the end we finished 6th and got into the Conference finals were we lost 1-4 against the Red Wings. Nabokov and Lehtonen were both great during the postseason with a Sv% of over 92.
I was really looking forward to the draft, but it was a major deception as the 2008 draft always was, although I really liked to see real players like Yakupov and Grigorenko in there - great work!
They were even compared to Ovechkin and Thornton by my ehm scouts, like some real scouts wrote in a report I read some while ago =D>
Obviously I wasn't able to get one of them, I went with Chris Marchese in the first round and Luke Mercer in the 2nd - the rest of my picks are mostly overaged players that could be valuable for the AHL affiliation...
I liked the offseason pretty much except the fact that Nabokov retired (he still had a contract for 2 more years :cry: ): Traded Langenbrunner to the Kings for J. Johnson, who's playing alongside Goligoski having very similar numbers + an outstanding 8.45 Avg in the first 20 games. As replacement I found T. Pyatt on the UFA market who is doing well on the 2nd line with Ribeiro and Benn. Started him on the PP, but he was useless, now Fisher is getting time on the RW, Ott is playing on RD on PP2 and encouraged to shoot.
Another surprise was the sudden rising of P. Larsen, the danish 22y old Dman, he is being the playmaker on PP2 and on the 2nd d-pairing together with Daley. His stats look very promising for future improvement: 20 games 2G 5A +16 27SOG 7.55 AVG 0 PIM while playing around 15 min a game. I guess I was lucky with his roll as others were with Wandell. He is absoluetly doing nothing for me, despite getting time on the PP during the first 2 seasons he was averaging not more than a 6.50 and a very bad SH % (under 9%) - now he is trying to set up plays for Petersen and Williams on the 4th lines...

I have a question: Did anyone of you manage to improve Richards attributes except the physical ones on the left? Only bully, wristshot (17) and passing (18) are in the green zone, the rest is mostly ranging from 15-16. I can't believe that's all I can get out of him, however he is showing no sign of improvement - too old!?

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 am

Man, I can't coach this team for the life of me. They are just horrible defensively. Only win about 20-30% of board battles. Small, soft team. Me no like. Want to blow up team. Cant!

2nd season and currently in last in the entire league. No major injures at all. My single trade was for Ryan Suter before the season so I thought I had improved my defense...but apparently not. GAA of 4.14 is just pathetic.

grrrrrr

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Círyatan wrote: #54: Dougie Hamilton, CAN, RD, 6'4" 191 lbs, Niagara Ice Dogs. He dropped to the 2nd round and my scouts aren't that high on him, but he looks promising enough to me.
WOW! Hamilton fell to the second round in your game? I wonder if he got a back roll on the random PA in your game? That's crazy!

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Okay, a recap of season 1. I started the season worse than ever, 9 losses at the start. Nothing seem to work. Somehow I managed to get the tactics together and we played good 'till the 60th game mark. At that point we were 6th in the conference, but it was a tight call with just few points between us and the 11th place. And then Richards got injured for a month. He was injured few times during the first 60 games but nothing too serious that the team couldn't survive. But this time the injury just killed the team. We had 3 to 5 game losing streaks and then one win and the same all over again. We dropped from 6th to 12th during the injury. We had Morrow and Eriksson injured too at the same time but those injuries were just few weeks in length. Last five or six games we won to earn ourselves the 9th place in the conference. So the season was a bit of a disappointment, because I was really hoping to get to the playoffs.

In the draft we had the 13th pick. And the picks were:

13th Mike Zibanejad, SWE, C/LW/RW
43th Pierre Durepos, CAN, LD
73th Philip Danault, CAN, C/LW
103th Reid Boucher, USA, LW/C
133th Victor Rask, SWE, C
163th Oscar Klefbom, SWE, RD/LD
193th Chance Lund, CAN, LW

The first round pick was a tough call with Joe Morrow, Dougie Hamilton, Duncan Siemens, Zibanejad and Alexander Khokhlachev. I made the decision to go with Zibanejad because I saw that many of you guys took Hamilton and Siemens as your picks and I wanted to go my own way. Besides, it never hurts you to have a good center prospect. My scouts project Zibanejad as a smaller but better version of Jason Arnott. Khokhlachev was interesting too but he was a little too small and offensive oriented for my taste. Zibajaned is more well rounded, strong and still quite talented offensively. We just have to see how he developes. The rest of the picks I just tried to get the BPA out there. Durepos is kind of a question mark, he doesn't really stand out with his attributes but my scouts project him to be skilled defensive defenseman with no. 1-2 potential. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the draft.

I made my trade for season 2. I was planning to trade either Ott or Ribeiro for a center or a two-way forward, depending who is available. Ribeiro was a really big disappointment in the season 1. Although he made 67 points, he's average rating was just 7.17. I just couldn't get him to produce on the 2nd line. Most of his points game when he was replacing injured Richards on the 1st line. But it wasn't the first priority to trade him away. Ott is just rubbish. He was surely the first man to get rid off. I just wasn't sure if I could anyone I wanted with him. So Ribeiro was the second choice. I offered Ott for few players but I was turned down in some cases (Malhotra) and just not satisfied with some I could get (Hagman). Not until Devils put Dainius Zubrus on the block. I offered Ott for him and they accepted. I've never had Zubrus on any of my teams but I've always wanted him. So now I have three solid centers, that's a good base to build on. Although I might trade Ribeiro in the 3rd season if I don't get him to produce.

In the free agency I'm looking either some depth on the 3th and 4th lines or a solid 2nd or 3rd liner. Not sure if I'm going with the Tier 1 or 2, or even with waivers. Theres still a few interesting guys out there but it's already July 22nd so I might try my luck with waivers. I'm pretty happy with my defense although it would need some strong defensive defenseman. I offered a contract to Scott Hannan but he went to LA.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:29 pm

bruins72 wrote:
Círyatan wrote: #54: Dougie Hamilton, CAN, RD, 6'4" 191 lbs, Niagara Ice Dogs. He dropped to the 2nd round and my scouts aren't that high on him, but he looks promising enough to me.
WOW! Hamilton fell to the second round in your game? I wonder if he got a back roll on the random PA in your game? That's crazy!
Yep, he did. And I fear you might be right on his potential roll, time will tell. His attributes are pretty nice already. Funny thing, I never heard of this guy before drafting him and then looking him up, so there was no WOW for me there. :-D

I'm pretty tired after not sleeping tonight, so the offseason must wait a while, unfortunately.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

In real life, Hamilton is one of the top 3 or 4 defensive prospects in the upcoming draft. He was also just measured at the combine as something like 6'6", which is a couple inches taller than he went into the season measuring. He's supposed to be skilled and be a balanced two-way defenseman.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm really excited about the turnaround my team made in games 21-40 of season two.

We were 5-12-3 in the first 20 games. 50 GF and 69 GA. PP was 12.9 % and PK was 79.3 %. It was absolutely pathetic.

I must have spent several hours looking through the Game Knowledge forum, both the even strength thread and PP/PK thread. I wasn't looking for a magical tactic but I was a little lost at how to coach this team. I'm not saying I've found the answer to my problems, but the one thing that I believed has really helped is using Personal Tactics for each player. I'll admit that I've played around a little with using them, but I don't think I was "all in" like I am now.

The one player who literally exploded during this 20 game set was Brenden Morrow.

First 20 Games - 9-7-16 7.95 avr
Next 20 Games - 21-20-41 8.55 avr

That 41 points is for the 2nd quarter, not the total of both! :nod:
Another thing that was awesome is that the majority of his ratings in the 2nd set are 10's. As a matter of fact in the Game Log section, which shows the last 15 games, he has 11 10's, 2 9's, a 7 and a 6. The 7 and 6 were two games where we lost (in a row, the whole team played poorly), and they were the only two games on where he was kept off of the score sheet. Also on that game log he had 3 hat tricks. I simply can't stop smiling when I look at his player profile!!

I also made significant changes to my PP and PK tactics. I am running an umbrella on my first PP unit and a 2-1-2 on the second PP unit. I have different breakouts for each one but the tempo on both is set to high. My PK uses a different box for each unit and I allow the forwards to apply a little pressure but the defensemen are more positionally oriented.

The result of all of this helped the team go 13-6-1 in next 20 games, with Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro hurt at different times. Our PP for the segment was 17.8 % and our PK was 86.2 %. We scored 83 goals and let in 66. Just awesome!

I know this is long, but I have two closing thoughts:

First, I put Mike Ribeiro on the top line for the last two games of the segment because Richards was hurt. He and Morrow went a combined 6-7-13. Do I have something here?

Finally, Steve Ott is horrible. He is (I mean was) on the 2nd line and 2nd PK and he is averaging around a 6.25. He recently got a 4 and when I gave him a warning for poor play he just accepted it. I guess he realizes he is stinking up the team...

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm hoping my team turns it on soon. 9 games into season 2 and we're not doing so well.

Why am I the only person that never seems to be able to get the Umbrella power play to work for me? I always end up going Grouped with Funnel.

Return to “Challenge Forum”