Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Re: Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Post by blueshirtnParis » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Well after finishing dead last and getting the 1st overall pick in the worst draft in the history of drafts I was able to pull off a good trade. My prior drafts first pick, was Duncan Siemens, for Ryan Kesler. I also had the option of Parise but as painful as it was I went with Kesler since I think this team needs to be a bit harder to play against. Also free me to trade away Ribero next year or play Kelser on the right side.

I went with two 525 signings since last year I could not get any FA to sign with me and wound up holding onto the waiver option which turned out to be nothing.

Here goes nothing.....

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 pm

B72-You are not the only one. I can never get it working either. But...I seem to have trouble getting any PP working for me.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah, my PP isn't doing that well in the second season but my PK is actually doing fairly well. I still need to make my trade and get this team going.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I cannot wait for draft make a trade and free agency. This team has no emotional attachment for me. Save Woywitka. Kid has been outstanding for me.

60GP 7-16-23 +11-66PIM-5PPG (most on team)-115 hits-56SBlocks-1 fight, won it. 7.46 rating

Seriously I am in shock at how well he has done.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm about to make my trade. It may come as a shock and it's kind of odd after the real life Stanley Cup Finals that just played out. I'm trading Scott Glennie (who my scouts aren't huge on, saying he's got 2nd or 3rd line potential) to the Canucks for Mason Raymond. Honestly, I wasn't looking to add Raymond but I noticed that Glennie had a "wanted" next to his name. I checked and saw that it was the Canucks who were interested in him. So I looked at their roster. I wanted a LW. Burrows looked better (in game) but they valued him higher. When I put the trade together, both my AGM and the Canucks GM were positive about the deal, not just neutral. They came back and accepted the trade. Now I've just got to click to accept it too.

Even though Wandell is performing very well for me (17 points in 15 games and a +6), I wanted a little more on that LW. Benn doesn't look like he's all that great (bad roll for PA, he's a 3rd liner at best). Wandell has some weaknesses that I don't like. Raymond on the other hand has BLAZING speed, along with nice passing and a good shot. I think he'll be a good fit.

Oh and after playing Hamilton for a couple more games and not getting the greatest performance out of him, I sent him back to his junior club for the season.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Man, oh man... that was the worst 20 games I've logged in a long time. 7-9-4 to start season 2. :doh:

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Not sure how this happpened but Jared Cowen and Alex Burmistrov are UFA's. Why couldnt they be 24 ](*,)

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

First segment of 20 games behind in the 2nd season. Doing fine with a record of 13-6-1 and the 5th place in the conference. Only thing that worries me is my PP. Only 9 PP goals in 20 games. Just sad.

I did decide to go with the Tier 1 in the free agent market. Signed Wayne Primeau with a 2-year contract 856 000 $ salary against cap. He has been a good addition to the team centering 3rd line and PK duties. After 20 games he has a 8.15 AvR. Putting him in the 3rd line gave me the chance to place Zubrus in the 2nd line RW and Langenbrunner to the 3rd line RW. Zubrus has been great having a record of 9g-10a-19p +11 8.85 AvR. Krys Barch has also been a pleasant suprise having a record of 3g-4a-7p 7.00 AvR with only 5.41 minutes of playing time in the 4th line. Not anything superb but certainly an improvement to last years performance.

Here are my lines at the moment:

Morrow-Richards-Eriksson
Daley-Grossman

Benn-Ribeiro-Zubrus
Fistric-Goligoski

Wandell-Primeau-Langenbrunner
Woywitka-Robidas

Barch-Sutherby-Williams

Lehtonen
Raycroft

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 pm

season 3 was another failed attempt to claim the cup. After the loss in 6 games in the conference finals last year, this season we got to the semifinals only to lose against the Hawks in 7. I felt that we could make it much further but the shocking play of Lehtonen impeded it: 8 PO games 3 W 4.30 GAA 85.3 SV%.
At least Campbell displayed his talent and was really strong for a 21 y old throughout the whole season: 25G 14-7-2 / 3.36 GAA / 89.7 SV% --- 8 PO-G 4-4-0 / 90.0 Sv%
Raycroft is not reliable in my eyes and I don't know how Campbell will turn out so I drafted a few goalies, in total 3 of them:
Matt McNeely (#80 2007) - still hard to predict, solid technically but slow, scouts rate him as 2nd goalie today
Deniss Smirnovs (#146 2009) - small latvian goalie, who looks pretty solid all-around, only his reflexes (1) are concerning
Miroslav Bezouska (#86 2009) - czech goalie, flair 20, consistency 18, very good technical attributes. I was lucky that he fell to the 3rd round, he was unranked and I only was looking for players in the ranked section until the 3rd round when (almost) all talent was exhausted.

From the draftees only my pick of round 2 in 2007, Rocco Grimaldi, seems to be somwewhere close to the NHL. But he looks especially well, has great attributes and finished off the WHL with 166 points and 45 in 15 playoff games, I will try to keep him with Dallas, if he is not ready yet I'll send him to Texas. He could be the next Ribeiro, hopefully not sooo soft :-p

I was absolutely sure that I would trade Ribeiro this year, he sucks even more than Ott. I tried to get Hartnell, but no chance. The next attempt was Latendresse from the Wild. They agreed after they traded M. Koivu for a bunch of prospects and picks. He looks promising, very physical as I like them, but he hasn't produced much. Either the 2nd or 3rd line will be good for him. I offered contracts to some UFA centers in order to fill in Ribeiro's spot. I offered them much more than they deserve and surprisingly it worked after failing to land outstanding UFAs the last 2 years. (I read somewhere on TBL that the key to UFA signing is not money but the status you promise them to have on your team)
Valtteri Filppula signed for 2 M for the next 3y and the the promise to be one of the most important players. He doesn't look as good as Ribeiro - attributeswise - but he weighs 20 pounds more and scouts project him to score as much as Mike did - a not too difficult task.
We basically got 2 for 1: Ribeiro (5 M) for Latendresse (2.8M) and Filppula (2 M)

The defense looks settled right now. After Goligoski's Norris performance in the first year, Jack Johnson surprisingly won it this season with 70 points. Surprisingly because my scouts only rated him as 3-4 Dman and a very defensive type of player when I traded for him. However I tried him on the PP and almost half of his point total (34) was scored on the man advantage. After 2 seasons with the Kings (7.45 AVG) he improved to a 8.35 AVG in Dallas.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

I've been struggling so much in season 2 that the board has warned me that I could be in danger of losing my job. I don't think I've ever been fired in EHM.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm

bruins72 wrote:I've been struggling so much in season 2 that the board has warned me that I could be in danger of losing my job. I don't think I've ever been fired in EHM.
Noooo!!!!! You'll be ok, I know you can "Right the Ship." Maybe it's time to fire the HC and let your players know you mean business. ;)

I really think I jinxed myself with my glowing review of games 21-40. I've had a horrible 3rd segment and went 7-11-2. My awesome PK went 11 for 17 in two games when I accidentally had Justin Williams on it. He was playing on the 2nd line at even strength, 1st PP, and 1st PK. For some reason I didn't catch it until he was at around 85% after the second game. Ugh! My PP struggled as well, especially during my seven game losing streak.

Steve Ott is ridiculous. I've done everything but waive him and he still won't produce. I tried him on the first line to see if he could get it going. Nope, he got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct on the first shift. Needless to say his rating was a 4. After his "Official Warning" by me and a one game suspension by the NHL I played him on the 4th line. The result? Another 5 minute major, game misconduct, and a rating of 4. I disciplined him again and took a weeks pay. The NHL suspended him for two games as well. He has yet to complain about the discipline, which like I said in my other post, means that he knows that he's horrible. I would waive him but I want to see if I can trade him for something next season. Maybe a bucket of pucks?

Looking towards my last segment of the this season I really need to get my act together, otherwise I might miss the playoffs. Last year I was rolling 3 lines and played with 8 defenseman. It seemed to help a little bit, but I really don't want to go that route again.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 pm

timmy_t wrote:
bruins72 wrote:I've been struggling so much in season 2 that the board has warned me that I could be in danger of losing my job. I don't think I've ever been fired in EHM.
Noooo!!!!! You'll be ok, I know you can "Right the Ship." Maybe it's time to fire the HC and let your players know you mean business.
Yeah, firing Crow can't be a bad idea. Can't wait to do it myself, just waiting for an excuse. :-D

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow. B72 i have not heard you say that since like way back in Toronto. Or maybe not even then. I hope my S2 goes better than yours.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 pm

been away for the past few weeks so just trying to get back in this challenge. Just hit the 40 game mark of season 1. Loui Erikson came back after being out the first 17 games and gave us a bit of a jumpstart but then has cooled off. Only 8 goals 7 assists in 23 games.
Steve Ott is as inconsistant for me as everyone else, altough the last 4 games he has scored 2 goals and 2 assists and his morale is superb. Ive had him set to be allowed to fight all season but he isnt in the top 50 in fights. Sadly Morrow is my leader there winning 5of 6. My enforcers are terrible.Barch 1/4 and Burrish 1/7.
The only players I like on this tam are Morrow and Robidas,who is leading the league with 86 shots blocked in 40 games. 11G 11 assists -2 ( great for this team) 3 of his goals are game winners.
As it stands now I am down in 13th place in the west only 5 points out of 8th but have lots of work to do to make the playoffs.

tinyheed
Prospect

Post by tinyheed » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm

so finished my first challenge. really enjoyed it, scraped into the playoffs first 3 seasons and promptly pumped out in the first round each time. Failed to qualify in 4th season(Richards broke his arm 3 times during the season!) scraped in again S5 ,then first round exit again. Then things picked up in final season, lost 1st game 7-0, called up previous years 1st rounder, and he went on to put up 65-67-132 in his first full season.Finished 2nd in West, then beat Blue Jackets in 7, Flames in 7, Avalanche in 7(3-1 down at one stage) then beat the penguins in 7 to lift the cup =D> .

Looking forward to next challenge

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 am

The Avalanche didn't re-sign Matt Duchene after his initial contract, 2008 off-season. Ugh! Stupid challenge rules! :-p

Edit- Edmonton didn't re-sign Sam Gagner either...

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Finished regular season of season 1. Won the Pres Trophy. Luie lead the team in goals with 41. I think it was Morrow with 42 assists, but cannot recall.

First round I get matched up with Phoenix. They are only in 8th place due to the fact that they went 5-2-1 against my Stars. For some reason have a real hard time with them. Read: BRYZGALOV.

Anyway...went into the playoffs thinking oh oh. COuld be done round 1, and with my individual stats and PP that is not good for me scoring well in the challenge. But....lo and behold. Win 1-0 in game 1 (only goal? STEVE OTT? WHAT?) Game 2: win 3-1 ...guess what? Ott with another point and wins a fight.
Game 3: This is where I always lose....but not this time. Smoke em 4-0. Richards with 3 points. Steve Ott..another point? OMG!!!!

Finally...game 4 ... and Ott gets shut down. rates a 6. But I still manage a victory.SWEEP!!!!

What the heck is going on with Steve Ott? Starting to like this goombah a bit.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:28 am

batdad wrote:Wow. B72 i have not heard you say that since like way back in Toronto. Or maybe not even then. I hope my S2 goes better than yours.
Yeah, I don't know what my deal is. It might be that I just haven't had the time to really put into it. Work has been busy and I've been home on vacation (with insane babies and now the whole house sick) this week. I haven't played the game at all since that post. Hopefully I can turn things around once I get back to it.

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 pm

After finishing dead last in my 2nd season I missed out on the playoffs on the last day of the 3rd season. Heart breaking. But Kesler was a great pick up. 45g 100p

jArtibise
Junior League

Post by jArtibise » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Second season in a row where my team absolutely bombs in the second half yet my top line remains in the top 10 for points, god damnit. My defense has been plagued by injury and Lehtonen was out for awhile, but even when healthy he's a terrible let down.

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Things went very well in the 4th season: The Cup came back to Dallas after an almost 15 year-long drought.
A series of exciting playoff matches is over: After sweeping both the Wild and Oilers in quarters and Semis the Canucks were a much tougher task - game 7 was necessary to determine the Caps opponent in the SC Final. A pretty thrilling series decided in 6 games, 3 of the 4 wins came in OT and the last one was remarkable, especially for Rocco Grimaldi: He scored the game tying goal with just 20 seconds left. After the short intermission Richards scored just 18 seconds into 1st OT to lift the cup.
Rocco GRIMALDI is looking like that <-- just 3 years after being drafted with the 50th pick. Scouts compare him to Pavel Datsyuk and with his 21y he already won more trophies than some players in their entire career: WJC & Memorial Cup in '08, Stanley & Calder Cup in '10
The rest of my draft-choices are not very good however :dunno: what went wrong this time!?
And I'd like to mention that Latendresse is absolutely awesome in this game: he had no more than 137 points over 3 seasons with the Wild. Now he posted 47g 53a for 100 points in 80 games for the Stars & 25 in 21 PO games along with an 8.90 AVG. He was playing mostly with Filppula and Benn on the 2nd line, sometimes with Richards and Morrow on the 1st.
Well, now he wants over 5 M after getting only 2.8 for this one. I totally forgot to sign him early ](*,) - I think I will release him to FA as he will be a RFA, and hopefully he steps down a little bit.... However, the salary cap isn't really a problem in this challenge.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 am

I went on a run of 7 or 8 wins to get out of the doghouse. I had a couple losses after that and now on I'm a 4 game win streak, sitting in 4th place in the conference, and they're getting worried about me again. What the Dickens?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:07 am

Just completed Season 1. Team defensively was outstanding. Offensively not so much. However...my defense carried me a long way. A lot further than I thought. President Trophy Champions. 1st round of playoffs, defeated Phoenix in 5 games. It was a tough series though as each game was either a 1 goal or 2 goal game (With empty netter) til the very end, when I managed a 3-0 shutout.

Next up: Vancouver. Kesler got hurt game 1 and I think that saved my bacon. I lost the first game 2-1 and then went on to win 4 straight.Hero in this series...Jamie Benn. Minors all year long. Called him up. AFter loss in game 1 decided to dress him. In the next 4 games, Jamie had 3 goals and 1 assist. The game winner for the series??? Steve Ott. In fact in game 5 he scored 2 goals and added an assist. Unreal.

Round 3: Detroit. Easiest of all the series. Swept the Wings and never felt in danger. Goaltending they had was not good enough.

On to the Stanley Cup Final...where I draw the TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING> Like me they had lost only 2 games in the playoffs. Game 1 of this series was scary. They were dominating me in shots on goal. After two periods the shots were 45-12 for Tampa...but Lehtonen was standing on his head and I was up 2-1. I got up 3-2 in the third but with 17 seconds left Ryan Malone...Babing. Shots were 65-18 at this point. Lehtonen was awesome.

But...this game was hardly over. In fact it would go til the next day. It went 8...Overtimes. The screen shot I have of the summary does not show this. It shows my game winner By Brendan Morrow at 6000. It was not...trust me.

I have a screenshot of the game stats. Tampa Bay....2 for 27 on the PP. Dallas 0/9. Yep a little clutch and grab from me. But I won.

Final shots on goal: TAMPA BAY 121 Dallas 63. So yeah...I picked it up in the 5 OT only being outshot 56-45.

After that game...Richards was at 72% and Morrow at 73% EXHAUSTION.

so game 2: Two nights later and back to OT. I win again, on a goal by....Grossman 18 minutes in.

That was it for me. Team was beat. We were outshot badly in every game and Lehtonen could not stand up to the pressure. Tampa won the next 4, 3-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 3-2. Each game they had at least 45 shots on goal. I averaged 25 if you take out the OT. Just a landslide. I have never been dominated like they did to my team.

Mike Ribeiro TOTALLY did not show up in the Finals. Ratings of 5-6-6-5-8 ( He scored in the last game when I was down 3-0 in garbage time. Brutal. Richards got hurt in game 4, and could only dress him on 3rd line as was at 80% only.

Brian Sutherby--Also bad in the playoffs with an average rating of 6.35 which was the worst of my regulars. Tom Wandell and Adam Burish were worse but hardly dressed.

Mem Cup Winner: Guelph Storm defeat Saskatoon Blades in OT
AHL: FInal is Chicago Wolves vs Wilkes-Barre Penguins. Chicago up 1-0
SEL: HV 71 defeated Djurgardens IF in the final 4-1
Superleague: Mettalurg Magnetigorsk defeat Salavat Ulajev UFA in final
World Junior : Sweden Gold, USA Silver, Canada Bronze (Finland 4th)
World Champ: USA Gold, Sweden Silver, Finland Bronze (Canada 4th-with Crosby and Toews on the team as neither Pit or Chi make playoffs)
WC Relegated teams: Latvia, Ukraine
WC Promoted Teams from Div 1: France, Slovenia.

Anyway...now it is on to the draft and screenshot time. FINALLY

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:16 pm

So the start of season 4 is going well. Big surprise so far is Burrows, 29 pts to lead the way from the second line! Grimaldi is also doing good in his rookie season with 17pts to lead all rookies. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:03 pm

I finally found some time to fire up the good old EHM and decided to start the challenge. Our pre-season was far from good, as we didn't manage to win even once. Luckily the first 20 games didn't go that badly and we managed to collect 22 points.

Current line-up looks like this:

Morrow-Richards-Eriksson
Ott-Ribeiro-Langenbrunner
Wandell-Petersen-Williams
Barch-Sutherby-Burish

Daley-Robidas
Woywitka-Goligoski
Skrastins-Grossman

Lehtonen
Rayrcoft

MRE-line has been quite good right from the beginning and Eriksson is currently 2nd best scorer with 15 goals. Ribeiro's line started slowly, but thankfully they've been improving lately and even Ott has 21 points already. 3rd line hasn't produced much, but at least they're decent in defense unlike 4th line, which is just rubbish at both ends. Still, our biggest problems are with PP and PK, we're 28th in PP and dead last in PK percentages, so there's plenty of room for improvement there.

Return to “Challenge Forum”