Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge 20: Dallas Stars (Discussion Thread)

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 am

So I finished my second segment of season 2 and I've done pretty well. I've worked my way up to 2nd in the conference. However,the board is still "concerned about my horrible league performances". How can that be? I've worked my way up to 2nd! I think I was 10th after 20 games. I'm doing well but the league could probably still fire me at any minute. I don't get it.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Honestly, guys, do you ever bother to read the rules? I had a peek at the stats forum and it seems like some people do trades in their first season, and even involving draft picks... I mean, what's the problem? Why don't just read the two pages or smth, it's not like there's a lot to read...
:\

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Círyatan wrote:Honestly, guys, do you ever bother to read the rules? I had a peek at the stats forum and it seems like some people do trades in their first season, and even involving draft picks... I mean, what's the problem? Why don't just read the two pages or smth, it's not like there's a lot to read...
:\
I saw that too...

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at that thread (I'm assuming you mean the screenshot thread?). I've been insanely busy (and sick, while on vacation last week). Would one of you guy mind PMing me a list of the ones we need to take a look at?

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 pm

First season is finished and what a roller coaster it turned out to be. After a decent Q2 with 10 wins and an equal amount of losses, Q3 was just horrible and we managed to win only 7 games during that segment, which saw us dropping out of the top 8. Thankfully the whole team upped their game up a notch and it looked like we might just make it... Until Richards was injured when only 4 games were left to play. You can guess what happened after that, we lost those last four games and missed the playoffs by 5 points. Sabres won the cup, as they beat Red Wings 4-1 in the finals.

Loui Eriksson was our best player in goals and total points (47+54=101) and Richards almost reached the 100 mark (29+70=99). Steve Ott was surprisngly good (35+51=86) and Morrow wasn't much worse himself (35+50=85). I think this team has enough firepower, but we need to be better defensively, especially our 3rd and 4th lines. Then again, improving the defense is another important task as well, so here's hoping we'll be more solid at the back in next season.

Looking forward to the draft, hopefully we can get some good players from there.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 am

Apparently I'm not sleepy at all, so I made it through the draft.

Round 1 14 Ovr: Mika Zibanejad (C/RW/LW) - Versatile and mentally strong and big center, who can play in the wing as well. Needs to improve his defensive game, but otherwise he's a well-rounded player.

Round 2 44 Ovr: Oscar Klefbom (RD/LD) - Oscar is a big, fast and strong Swede who is projecting to be a solid 2nd pair defender in future. He was probably the best defender available in my turn, as Hamilton and co. had been taken already.

Round 3 74 Ovr: Seth Ambroz (C) - Another big and strong player, Seth is compared to Jason Arnott. He's a bit slow skater though and technically just average, but could become a good bottom-6 center in the future.

Round 4 104 Ovr: Tyler Biggs (RW/LW) - Very determined two-way talent with good size, Biggs isn't rated highly by my scouts but I see a future for him in bottom-6. If he can improve his skating, he's going to be a physical player who can occasionally find the net as well.

Round 5 134 Ovr: Jyrki Jokipakka (LD/RD) - Jyrki wasn't even amongst the ranked players, but Marc Crawford suggested me to take him and I didn't have anything against it. Good technical skills for a defensive defender, good size and speed as well. Not that consistent though, but might as well take a gamble at this point.

Round 6 164 Ovr: Scott Mayfield (RD/LD) - 90 points in 60 games is a respectable stat, although he's playing in USHL. Almost similar to Jokipakka, just a bit weaker technically and stronger mentally.

Round 7 194 Ovr: Colin Markison - Another player from USHL, Markison is a consistent performer and determined to do well in every game. Although not an exceptionally skilled, he's a good skater which is always a plus.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:22 am

bruins72 wrote:I haven't had a chance to look at that thread (I'm assuming you mean the screenshot thread?). I've been insanely busy (and sick, while on vacation last week). Would one of you guy mind PMing me a list of the ones we need to take a look at?
Sent the one we were referring to.

watts555
Minor League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by watts555 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:37 am

I just have a question, when doing my trade, am I allowed to trade for someone who is 19 years of age, if it is a one for one trade?

watts555
Minor League

Post by watts555 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:40 am

*sorry for double post*

Flying_Buffalo26
Top Prospect

Post by Flying_Buffalo26 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

watts555 wrote:I just have a question, when doing my trade, am I allowed to trade for someone who is 19 years of age, if it is a one for one trade?
6.11 You may make a maximum of one trade per season. Only straight up 1-for-1 deals are allowed now. You may send one player out and you may accept one player in return. Nothing more. (note: and nothing LESS)

that rule has nothing to do with the following UFA-ONLY restriction:

7.3 Players must be at least 24 years of age at the time of signing to qualify as a UFA signing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the answer is yes. :thup: Neither salary nor age matter when trading 1 vs. 1 - only the dates must be compliant to the rules (i.e.: 1.-14. July; 16. October - deadline, no draft day trades; no trade in the first season) and the player you are trading out has to be under contract for at least 1 year (the player you are targeting hast to be under contract on his respective team, but in his case it doesn't matter for how long...) .

Who are you going for? Anyone from the latest draft? I experience it to be very tough when trying to trade for an outstanding prospect; they are overvalued far too much!! I personally prefer to trade for strong players in the late 20s, early 30s and to draft the future instead of trading for it...

watts555
Minor League

Post by watts555 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Duncan Siemens for Loui Eriksson.

I know Loui is good, but he gets injured way too much for my liking. In the first season he played all but one game, but the past two seasons he has played a total of 93 games played and the trainers are concerned about his health.

I am not 100% sold on the trade though because Eriksson can score goals for us.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Before the start of 2nd season I signed Zibanejad and Klefbom and sent the down to AHL to gain some experience. Next move was to sign a new 3rd line RW and as it so happens, Arron Asham accepted my offer. Sure, I was trying to sign a defender before approaching Asham, but in the end I think I made a right move. Then I traded Jason Williams for Chris Neil, as I saw no use for Jason anymore and I was glad to get rid of him.

First 20 games of season 2 were just horrible. First of all Eriksson, Robidas and Goligoski picked up some lengthy injuries and when you're missing such an important players, it shows. I think we managed to win only 3 of 10 games without this trio. After getting them back, we improved drastically and were back on track. As we collected 25 points from games 21-40, we're currently standing in 7th place.

Current line-up:

Morrow-Richards-Eriksson
Ott-Ribeiro-Langenbrunner
Benn-Glennie-Asham
Barch-Sutherby-Neil

Daley-Robidas
Woywitka-Goligoski
Fistric-Klefbom

Lehtonen
Raycroft

So, completely new 3rd line and even Klefbom is getting some time, mostly because Grossman hasn't performed well. Lehtonen is playing really well this season, but Raycroft has been really naff and lost us many games.
Last edited by Ippo on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 pm

watts555 wrote:Duncan Siemens for Loui Eriksson.

I know Loui is good, but he gets injured way too much for my liking. In the first season he played all but one game, but the past two seasons he has played a total of 93 games played and the trainers are concerned about his health.

I am not 100% sold on the trade though because Eriksson can score goals for us.
Does the team you are trading with already have Siemens under contract? If he is a contracted player (not an unsigned prospect), you should be allowed to trade for him.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm

2007 NHL Entry Draft

Sean Couturier went 1st overall to the Islanders
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2nd to Edmonton
Adam Larsson 3rd to Boston (Guess where the laffs finished)
Tomas Jurco 4th to St Louis...the big surprise. was ranked 15th
Mark McNeill-5th to Florida
Gabriel Landeskog-6th to Ottawa

Hubderdeau went 11th to Minnesota

Vladislav Namestnikov-27th New Jersey
Jonas Brodin-28th to Detroit

My turn is 29th.

Round 1 29th Overall Brandon Saad Saginaw Spirit OHL Brandon refused to sign a new contract with Saginaw.My scouts compare him to Thomas Vanek. I know he is another LW to go with Morrow and Benn, but at least he has good guys to learn from!! In 2006 07 he scored 40 goals and added 51 assists with the Spirit. He played and won silver with the USA J20 team. He also was third place in the OHL for the Bobby Smith Trophy, as the scholastic player of the year. So he is SMART> 3 times duing the season the media reported that their were big moves ahead for this goal scorer! We shall see how h e does in camp.

Round 2 59th Overall Doug Hamilton RD Sudbury Wolves How this guy was ranked 64th by CSS I do not know. He is outstanding in every way. Looks like as #3 dman at least, but with his size could easily end up a #1. SO happy to get him. I mean 4 of my scouts call him Duncan Keith with a bigger frame. How in god's name then is this guy only ranked at 64? Would you want a bigger version of Keith on your team? Yeah for sure. And yeah he was drafted from the Sudbury Wolves. THe Niagara Ice Dogs for some reason dealt him on June 6...for a 19 year olds sieve and a 15 year old prospect.

Round 3 89th overall Ben Duffy RW PEI Rocket Goal scorer pure and simple. Scored 30 for the Rocket. The worst team in the Q. Could be a bit of a late bloomer as scouts are comparing him to Blake Comeau. As we all know, Blake only started to score at age 24. So we shall see.

Round 4 119th overall Blake Gal RW Spokane Chiefs--Good size, works hard and seems to be able to put the puck in the net. His leadership is 2nd to none and I can see him as a future captain of the Stars. So do all my scouts. He loves to handle the puck, and make the pretty move, but will also bang hard in the corners. This guy will be a good compliment to Duffy.

Round 5 149th overall Jonathon Racine LD Shawinigan Cataractes as you can tell by my first 5 picks, the defense in this draft is horrendous. Finally took a 2nd one in Racine. he is a big strong stay at home guy, who would just as soon as hit you as he would dangle you. He is aggressive, and loves getting under the skin of other players. At 6'2 185 as he fills out he will make a solid compliment for a player like Hamilton.

Round 6 179th overall Tomas Matousek- LW Ban Bastrica Slovakia. one of my Euro scouts Quentin Vagvolgyi- a dude from Singapore of all places- was all over me to get this guy. Starting in the 3rd round. But Matousek was unranked and none of my other guys thought he was more than a 3rd or 4th liner. One has him as never even being good enough to play. Quentin? A first line all star!! Thinks this guy is going to be something else. So...learning from them Red Wings and Canucks, I listened to my Euro guy late in the draft. Noone else on the floor had even heard of this guy. Quentin likens him to a bigger Simon Gagne (so do a couple of others--but they apparently think Gagne was a flop!). A couple of guys compare him to Jeff Tambellini. We shall see. Hopeully Gagne with no head issues.

Round 7 209th overall Brandon McNally LW Belmont HIll HS Committed to NOtre Dame Fighting Irish for 07-08. Scouts tell me he is just going to be a decent player. As the second last pick of the draft I am not expecting much. This draft was horrible. But Les Jackson quite likes him having him listed as a 2nd line guy. Noone else is above a 4th liner. We shall see. May as well take a chance with a last pick like this! Has a year or two to see how things go in college. My scouts say he could be the next coming of Shawn Thornton. If he is, I would be extremely happy with that.

So..all in all alot of projects out of this draft. With Glennie turning out to star in the WHL last season, Jamie Benn coming up and kicking butt for us in the playoffs, and the addition of Saad..I think I have the makings of an interesting top line in the near future for this team. Hamilton and Goligoski should be magical on the blueline and with Campbell in net, I can see my Stars are set for five years from now!

GO STARS!!

blueshirtnParis
Prospect

Post by blueshirtnParis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Looks like the team has finally turned the corner. Ribero seems to have finally woke up after 2 seasons of sleep walking> Kesler is doing great. Richards as well

Was just about to accept a trade of Byfugilen for Daley when I saw that Luongo was put on the block due to cap reasons. And even more surprisingly they would take my #2 draf pick from a past draft (yes he was signed). Now I figure I will use Lehtonen as trade bait next season if Luongo works out.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Second part of season two was slightly better for us and we eventually finished 7th, which meant we'd face the Flames in first round. I had my hopes up, although we didn't fair that well against them in regular season (1-2-1) and in the end we managed to win only once out of five, thus ending our season with ease. They didn't made it all the way though, as they lost against Sharks in second round. Sabres won their second cup in a row, maybe a new dynasty has born?

At least Brad Richards got some recognition after the season, when he received Bill Masterton and Lady Bying trophies. He certainly was our best player this season (47+76) with Morrow, Lehtonen and Robidas.

In other news, I didn't manage to sign Raycroft nor Wandell for another year, so I guess I have to use the UFA signing for a goalie. Campbell isn't even nearly ready to be a number two and he's not developing at all, which is a worry.

I already went through the draft as well, but to be honest, the pool of talent was poor this year and there wasn't much to choose from. Anyway, here are my picks.

NHL Draft 2007

Round 1 17th overall: Mikhail Grigorenko C, Metallurg Magnitogorsk) - Probably the only decent choice left in our turn, Mikhail is compared to Mike Ribeiro by my scouts and he certainly has good passing and stickhandling skills, but he's way too soft for a 190 cm guy and has poor defensive skills. Either a future top-6 forward or a bust.

Round 2 47th overall: Ryan Murray LD, Everett Silvertips - Ryan is a stay-at-home type of defender with decent size, although not particularly good in any area. His upside is a 3rd pair defender, but it'll take a few years for him to get there.

Round 3 77th overall: Reid Boucher LW/C, Darthmouth Big Green - Ranked 109th for the draft, I was eager to snap him up this early. My scouts project Reid to be a poor man's Linus Omark/Nigel Dawes, mostly because of his small size. He does posses an above average shot and looks like a goalscorer type, but he needs to work with his skating which is only average at the moment. Potential goalscorer, top-6 or bust.

Round 4 107th overall: Dennis Saikkonen G, no team - Hailing from Switzerland, Dennis was the only decent looking goalie in this draft and we're lacking talent in that department, so I decided to choose him. Not as promising as Campbell, but we'll see. Interesting to see where he ends up playing, as I'm not planning to offer him a contract until next season.

Round 5 137th overall: J.T. Miller LW/C, Harvard Crimson - J.T. is a playmaking winger currently playing in ECAC (Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference), although he looks better suited as a full-time center. Might be a long shot, but he certainly has some upside to his game.

Round 6 167th overall: Bruce Hornbrook C/RW, Acadie-Bathurst Titan - My scouts describe him as a strong two-way player and a talented skater, while comparing him to Tyler Kennedy. Might be a fit for bottom-6 in the future though, as he has no particular weaknesses in his game.

Round 7 197th overall: Luke Fenske LD, Brandon Wheat Kings - Another solid stay-at-home defender with no particular strengths or weaknesses, my scouts compare him to Marc Methot. Definitely a long shot as expected at this point, but might be a decent AHL'er in future.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Okay, this is ridiculous. I've been fired. I'm #2 in my conference. I've gone on multiple winning streaks of 5 games or more. Unfortunately, I had a bad start to the season and the board just can't get past that. Honestly, this makes no sense at all.

So here was my Board Confidence screen on January 15th, 2008.

Board Confidence

And just to be safe, I asked them for extra time. Here is their response.

Extra Time?

So according to them, I should be okay. Here are the conference standings at this time.

Standings

And then on January 21st, 2008 I was fired.

Fired

We played 3 games between January 15th and 21st. We won the first two and lost the third, which was what got me fired. Here are the standings as of my firing.

Standings After

How does this happen? Really? This is messed up. Would I have to win or tie every game for the rest of the season to retain my job? It just makes no sense and really makes me mad.

:rant:

Now to re-add myself as GM. ](*,)

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Unbelievable. That has to be some bug, mate. :-(

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 pm

I would think so but I didn't want to go making excuses. I just can't understand how they'd fire me at that point. 1 loss. Not 2 in a row. And this was after several wins strung together.

:dunno:

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 pm

It is really weird B72! The screenshots really help to show it too... Maybe they just got really impatient, really fast? :-k

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:27 am

bruins72 wrote:I would think so but I didn't want to go making excuses. I just can't understand how they'd fire me at that point. 1 loss. Not 2 in a row. And this was after several wins strung together.

:dunno:
I had the same situation, but I was only 9th in the conference. They were pleased with my overall performance, but decided to fire me after I had just won 4 games in a row then lost to Nashville 4-0. :-x

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:49 am

How do you fire the GM of the #2 team in the conference after he wins 4 or 5 and loses 1? Honestly, I can understand getting fired when you're 9th even if you've had a winning streak. Maybe they're antsy? But I moved my way up to 2nd (even 1st for a couple days) from 10th or something. Then I had one loss following a string of wins. That's just stupid.

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

After 40 games in season 3 we're number 1 in the West, woo. I'm glad to notice that our PP is finally working like it should be, best in the league with a percentage of 20.1%. PK isn't still as good as it could be, but even that is miles better when compared to last two seasons. Here's hoping we'll have a realistic chance to fight for the cup this season.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Wow. Grumpy old buggers in Dallas in B72s game. So weird. The board must have had something in their heads that they did not like about the job you were doing. Or..maybe they just did not like your name. I cannot recall, what is the owner rating for getting involved in team decisions in Dallas. Or maybe...they had someone they wanted.

But my guess...the board did not like your name!!!

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:05 pm

3rd season is over and still no Stanley Cup for Dallas, although this time we managed to get closer. We won the Western Conference with 113 points and faced Oilers in the first round. It was an easy ride though, as we hammered them 4-1 and went on to the second round against Red Wings, whom proved to be a much tougher opposition. First we got a 2-0 lead thanks to home advantage, but then Detroit won the next three games and I thought we were finished, but somehow we managed to win games 6 and 7 although it was close, very close. Next up was the Flames and... Well, they didn't give us any chance whatsoever and beat us in straight four games, eventually winning the cup against Caps.

I also made a trade in February, Mike Ribeiro to Chris Stewart. Although Ribeiro was performing really well, I wanted to get a replacement for Langenbrunner and Stewart was the perfect fit. Then I moved Glennie to 2nd line and he was doing just fine, so Ribeiro's department didn't hurt one bit. I'd like to improve my defense in next season, but it seems that most of the UFAs are either too expensive or they just choose another team over Dallas. I guess trading would be the only viable option, but we'll see how that works out.

Return to “Challenge Forum”