Challenge 21: Quebec Nordiques (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Re: Challenge 21: Quebec Nordiques (Discussion Thread)

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Loosie wrote:So Season 3 is starting off quite well, backed by Huet's absolutely STELLAR play. In the last 6 games before the 20 game mark, he had 3 shutouts, and only allowed 2 goals each in the other 3 games. Which makes me feel like I wasted my free-agent signing on Giguere, but at least I know I have a solid backup too. I signed Giguere with the intention to trade Huet for assets, but I think I may be keepign Huet for now.

Couturier (1st overall 2007), Cizikas and Lowry (2nd round 2007) are shaping up nicely, Ashton has turned into my first RW callup, and may be breaking into the NHL full time soon. I haven't been using Rypien as much this year, and it's actually making him better. (Or he's playing with better linemates) Rypien has 5 points in 17 games (1G 4A), which is only 2 less than his career high (7 points the last two seasons), his PIMs are down, but I'm ok with that.

Our D took a bit of a hit as Cumisky's been out for a month, and is still out for another month, We also lost Visnovsky for a breif time, but I have soem good depth on D, and Aulie has stepped in nicley, Ekman-Larsen still hasn't quite broken into full-time NHLer yet, but he's been good as injury relief. I seem to have a few spare parts, that I'm trying to figure who I could move to give me the best return and not hurt my lineup too much. Those spare parts would be Pouliot, Lapierre, and I hate to say it but Couture. After two solid seasons, he's slipped, oof course it doesn't help his casue the Seguin and Couturier have developed very nicely, which is partly why Couture has become expendable, he just doesn't quite seem to fit a third line center role. Right now he's sharing 2nd and 3rd line duties with Couturier.

We are top of a very weak Northeast division (if it was straight 1-8 placements we'd be 8th), but I'm ok with that, we may be looking at our first playoff birth. Still very early though. Here's to hoping we can keep this momentum going.
That sounds a bit like my team the first season, until they stopped playing. :rant:

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Pretty much what's happened in Q2, after starting the quarter 3-1, we went 1-7, we are currently sitting at 7-11 for the quarter...it doesn't help that I lost 2/3 of my top line to injury, and one of my 2nd line wingers too. And now I've just gotten the kidd of death for a GM.....a vote of confidence by the board. :help:

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:31 am

Despite finishing last in the conference in the first season, Visnovsky managed to get the runner up Norris with his teamleading 28 goals. Impressive!

SFink
Junior League

Post by SFink » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm

My first ever try at a challenge... beeing a die-hard Nords fan I just had to do this :)

Just completed my 1st season... and it was a very painful one... just 22 wins... Taylor Pyatt was a nice surprise.. and Max Lapierre too with his 22 goals and finishing in the positive while playing in all 82 games. But Visnovsky was a major disapointment...finishing at -42 with only 21 pts...
anyhow.. Just wanted to mention that the Buffalo Sabres won the cup.. and they had an impressive stretch of 15 straight playoffs wins !! Before Chicago managed to win one... and then the Sabres closed it.. finishing 16-1 in the playoffs !

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:39 pm

gah....and now all of my GMs (NHL, AHL and ECHL) have been fired at least twice. I gave up on GMing the ECHL team when he was fired a secodn time.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm

14 games into season 3 and we are playing our best hockey to date. 9-4-1 and in 8th. A rethink of tactics during the preseason has us scoring a bit more but defending a lot better.
In the off season we let Garon and Sopel go, and lost Matt Bradley our previous free agent signing who didnt want to resign with us despite "proud to be playing for the team" and "enjoying playing for the team " Oh well....
With the lack of depth on RW decided to find a replacement FA. It came down to N.Hagman and T. Bertuzzi. Decided to go with Hagman,mainly due to age.He has been solid so far moving all around the line up 5G 2A, 7.23 rating.
I would love to trade for a solid RD this season. while our defense is good we are heavy on the left side.
Basic line up for season 3
Pyatt-Bergeron-Bergfors
Hall_Couture-Bernier
Pouliot-Lapierre-Hagman
Bellemare-Cizikis-Rypien
Sweatt

Syvret-Visnovsky
Hejda-Picard
Aulie-Cuminsky
Benoit

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

I went into the off-season all D mode selecting both Beauliou (4th overall) and Klefbom and sign Bieksa as the FA. A cuople of games in we got trouble scoring after both Pyatt and Lapierre went down but Seguin, Hall, Bergfors and Grabovski (trade) are all picking up their game lately.

Ps. Visnovsky is great if you play him right. Once again he's leading the team in scoring! :-)

SFink
Junior League

Post by SFink » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 pm

And HOW do you play him RIGHT ? :)

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:09 pm

SFink wrote:And HOW do you play him RIGHT ? :)
Secret! :-#
Try to really experiment with him and you'll eventually find one good way if you're stubborn enough.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Let us know after the challenge ?? I dont have my game up right now I'm doing ok with him but not that well. Ive let him carry the puck as well as join the rush, think he is set to tight gap and hard puck pressure. He has the speed and attributes to do this but does get burned on occasion.Shooting is on barrage.Im thinking of moving that down to normal or selective

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:12 am

Got fired the day after the 40 game mark season two. An improving record right out of a play-off spot wasn't enough for my board that want both the sun and the moon with a mediocre team. On top of all they fired me after a two game win streak. :rant:

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm surprised it took them to season 3 to fire me. I've found that I usualy get fired in season 2. My theory is that the poor record combiend with the lack of player movement makes the board think 'you don't care', especially if the goal for the season is to 'improve the roster'

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Loosie wrote:I'm surprised it took them to season 3 to fire me. I've found that I usualy get fired in season 2. My theory is that the poor record combiend with the lack of player movement makes the board think 'you don't care', especially if the goal for the season is to 'improve the roster'
Lack of player movement sounds probable. I never think I've been fired when making loads of trades, despite a way worse record, but the few times I've been fired are the ones were I haven't been trading and was just out of a play-off spot. That makes me wonder, is it worse to be just out of the play-offs than being dead last?

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Dead last means a high draft pick. Lack of player movement and sitting just outside the playoffs mean you didn't do enough to try and get your team in. That's my guess.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Loosie wrote:Dead last means a high draft pick. Lack of player movement and sitting just outside the playoffs mean you didn't do enough to try and get your team in. That's my guess.
Yeah, I just never reflected over that the game seems to be programmed like that.

Return to “Challenge Forum”