Challenge 21: Quebec Nordiques (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Re: Challenge 21: Quebec Nordiques (Discussion Thread)

Post by Leeman14 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 pm

The Nordiques board canned me. For some reason, they were expecting to be Stanley Cup contenders in Season 2 after finishing dead last in the league in Season 1.

Budget is 54.5 million and my total annual player salaries are at 47.5 million. I'm assuming since this is below 5%, I can add myself again?

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:01 pm

I have a strange bug.

I've searched the forums on this but have come up with nothing. My news window for the Nordiques (not Cornwall or Kalamazoo) went blank after a game and even when I receive new and unread news, it still says "You Have News" on the bottom center bar--after I've read all of my news. This has continued for 2 weeks now and I cannot find a solution. I've saved, quit, restarted the game, etc.

Anyone ever experience this error?

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:17 pm

I've never seen that before. I have no clue what would cause it. Maybe B72, Shad, or Archi might know something.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey Leeman, In the news window there is a Categories button on the top right. Click that and make sure its on all.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 am

Thanks, MacPhal, but it is on all.

Earlier today, my news window went blank again.

The only "fix" for this seems to be removing myself as GM and then adding myself again. I've been pretty careful with my saved games so unless anyone thinks this would adversely affect the challenge, I'll go ahead with it. I've already been fired once and re-added myself (according to the challenge rules).

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I think you should be okay removing and adding yourself for that. I just wonder if there is maybe some news item you didn't respond to? I've never seen this happen before unless there was something that it was waiting for me to respond to.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Well 6 games in I sent Seguin back to Portland for another year. He just wasn't ready for the NHL. We'll see how things go this year. Hall right now is leading the team in points, goals, and assists with 6 games in.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I just finally got back to my game. I'm 38 games into my season. Seguin played 11 games with Quebec and had 8 points but he was a -4. Overall, he just wasn't looking that good. So I sent him down to Cornwall... because I could. I figured maybe he'd do better with my coaches down in the AHL and maybe get some pro experience down there. After 20 games in Cornwall as my #1 center he had 16 points and a +3. His average rating was below 7 though. Finally, I've decided he need to go back to Plymouth of the OHL. He's played 2 games there so far and has 3 points. I think he'll start to get his groove back down there and hopefully develop better.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:01 pm

bruins72 wrote:I just finally got back to my game. I'm 38 games into my season. Seguin played 11 games with Quebec and had 8 points but he was a -4. Overall, he just wasn't looking that good. So I sent him down to Cornwall... because I could. I figured maybe he'd do better with my coaches down in the AHL and maybe get some pro experience down there. After 20 games in Cornwall as my #1 center he had 16 points and a +3. His average rating was below 7 though. Finally, I've decided he need to go back to Plymouth of the OHL. He's played 2 games there so far and has 3 points. I think he'll start to get his groove back down there and hopefully develop better.
Yeah, from what I've seen Seguin needs some new work though he has good attributes and should be a force when he gets going.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:06 pm

This is so true about Seguin. I've noticed he coughs up the puck a lot especially in Season 1... he played 41 games for me despite being sent down to Cornwall after 13 games. Injuries forced me to call him up for the remainder of the season.

Season 2, he was a mainstay as 3rd/4th line center but only played 48 games after suffering a concussion.

So far, I'm 5 games into Season 3 and he's considered the Team Leader and Top Faceoff Man. He's still my 3rd line center and sees significant time on the #1 PK unit.

From the moment the game begins, it's clear that Hall is the more refined player. He finished Season 2 leading the team in points and with the 2nd-highest average rating.

On another note, Visnovsky is the absolute worst defenseman on the Nordiques since Season 2. He's rated my #1 D-man according the depth chart but frequently puts in performances of 5 and 6. Not to mention, he finished Season 2 as a -36. I'm using him on my 3rd defensive pairing and my 1st PP unit only.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:40 pm

You know your division is bad when you should be ranked 9th but your ranked 3rd because of the division rule. After 40 games i'm 18-19-3 and we've been doing well in scoring, our Goals for average is 2.98 which places us 16th in the league. Our leading scorer is Bergfors with 20g 18a 38p. But we have been lets in lots of goals our GAA is 3.55 which places us 28th :P but the last few games Heut has been playing better.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Yeah, there was one point in the first quarter of season 2 pointswise I would have been ranked 10th but because everyone else was sucking it up I was ranked 3rd. Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa were 15, 14, and 13th respectively. Toronto was a little better at 11th. It also puzzles me how Boston can suck so bad given their roster. I'm sure B72 would have a fit if he saw what this team is doing. I remember us talking and pointing out how to limit practice injuries. Have we figured out how to limit game injuries? Those are the ones that always seem to sneak up on me and bite me.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:34 am

Leeman14 wrote: On another note, Visnovsky is the absolute worst defenseman on the Nordiques since Season 2. He's rated my #1 D-man according the depth chart but frequently puts in performances of 5 and 6. Not to mention, he finished Season 2 as a -36. I'm using him on my 3rd defensive pairing and my 1st PP unit only.
How are you using him? Are you wanting him to play a shutdown role, and then man the point on the powerplay? I've found he's as successful as you want him to be. If you want him to play well you've got to get him up and moving around on the ice. 5 on 5 him and Cuminsky play together for me. He's better than Cuminsky in plus minus and also in Average Rating for me. Get him involved in the Offense and putting up points an see if his luck changes.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

thunderbug wrote: It also puzzles me how Boston can suck so bad given their roster. I'm sure B72 would have a fit if he saw what this team is doing.
This always happens. For some reason, the AI never handles the Bruins properly. They always seem to be a subpar team, even if they've got a great roster. The AI just mismanages them. They trade away talent or let them walk after the first season. I just don't get it.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:36 pm

thunderbug wrote:
Leeman14 wrote: On another note, Visnovsky is the absolute worst defenseman on the Nordiques since Season 2. He's rated my #1 D-man according the depth chart but frequently puts in performances of 5 and 6. Not to mention, he finished Season 2 as a -36. I'm using him on my 3rd defensive pairing and my 1st PP unit only.
How are you using him? Are you wanting him to play a shutdown role, and then man the point on the powerplay? I've found he's as successful as you want him to be. If you want him to play well you've got to get him up and moving around on the ice. 5 on 5 him and Cuminsky play together for me. He's better than Cuminsky in plus minus and also in Average Rating for me. Get him involved in the Offense and putting up points an see if his luck changes.

You're right. I haven't been using him as a shut-down defenseman but strictly as a great point shot. So he's usually in my 1st or 2nd pairing and of course, playing the 1st PP unit. Still, he seems to be a liability when not on the PP.

Another factor could be my tactics. For two seasons, I've been using a modified version of the "Physical Offensive" tactics that promotes the point shot at even strength and PP. Minimal forecheck and heavy hitting are the differences.

Season 3 began very well and we were over .500 for a time. Suddenly, we slipped back to the basement. I thought about this a little bit and I may need to change my offense-first mentality if I'm going to salvage anything of this challenge.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 am

I'll re-post my question here. When i tried to upload my 40 game stats the form ask me for my 20 game stats. I had already uploaded my 20 games (or atleast i thought i did) what do i do now?

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 pm

MacPhal wrote:I'll re-post my question here. When i tried to upload my 40 game stats the form ask me for my 20 game stats. I had already uploaded my 20 games (or atleast i thought i did) what do i do now?
Do you have a save from the 20 game mark?
It is best to always save at the marks

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:23 pm

nope :( I didn't have this happen to me during the BCD challenge so never thought of it. I have done it for 40 and 60 game spots now.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Alright, I think I'm going to end my involvement in Challenge 21 at least for the time being. :cry:

There are multiple issues which may or may not be the result of the DB being customized for the Nordiques team. Season 1, the Board expected to make the playoffs. Season 2, I was expected to make the playoffs yet again. I have never seen (in 4 years of EHM 2007) a board expectation of qualifying for the playoffs after finishing dead last the season previously. Season 3, I was simply expected to improve the roster. Now, at the beginning of Season 4, the expectation is to make the playoffs. :bs:

In terms of tactics, I've tried some of my own tried-and-tested techniques which have brought me much success in other games as well as the more traditional tactics to choose from. I have 2x 1st overall draft picks in Jonathan Huberdeau and Martin Frk, the latter of which is obviously a longer-term project. Huberdeau was sent back to the QMJHL for a year after the draft but was a 1st/2nd line center going into Season 3. I also "stole" Alexander Khoklachev in the 7th round during the same draft and he started as my 2nd line/4th line winger and ended up beating Huberdeau and several other highly-touted rookies for the Calder Trophy. He's not a guy I'd rely on to play defense but he's still young and with 50 points in his first season, is not that bad.

Taylor Hall is the franchise player having led the team for 3 seasons in scoring as well as captaining the team (his Influence/Teamwork rating is phenomenal). Some of the more middle-of-the-road players on the roster include Taylor Pyatt (3rd liner who I often use on the PP and PK), Logan Couture (top faceoff guy), Maxim Lapierre (top defensive forward who anchors the 3rd line and the first PK unit) and Niclas Bergfors (oft-injured first line right-winger).

My trades have consisted of simply plugging holes where I've deemed necessary--trading Mathieu Garon to Vancouver for Mason Raymond beefed my left-wing depth and gave me a solid second-linger LW as well as a guy who is decent on special teams). Benoit Pouliot to Washington for Kevin Klein got rid of a disgruntled winger and provided me with a stop-gap when four of my 7 defensemen were out for more than a month.

Goaltending has been subpar. Huet is in the final year of his contract and isn't a reliable number one anymore (I honestly don't know if he was when the game began). Jeff Deslauriers outplays him when he starts. Anders Nilsson is the Cornwall starter who is knocking on the door. Again, not star netminders but they should be able to prevent games where we lose 7-1. It seems we're outscored by 5 goals or more in at least 15 games each season.

So I'm a little disappointed and somewhat bewildered as to how the game can react (ie. the board's expectations, results not reflecting the tactics being used, etc.) 18 games into 21.4, I've just lost 5 games in a row to divisional opponents (mostly) and the Board as given me the vote of confidence which as you all know usually means they will sack you in 1 to 3 games depending on those games' results. So I'm going to save it right here and try to figure out where I've made mistakes and prepare for the next challenge in a couple of months.

Good luck to everyone else! I sincerely hope you're all finding it easier and are enjoying more success than me.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:35 am

Well season one done... *sigh* Started off good fighting for a playoff stop in the 1st half of the season. Then our lack of forward depth really started to show and we finish in last in the East, thou we tied the Habs and Preds in points (71) we got the short end of the stick and was place 15th. We ended up with the 2nd pick overall and the draft when like this:

#2 Ryan Strome (should play as my 2nd line centre, but its to early to tell)
#32 Jonathan Huberdeau (I have no idea how he dropped so far, but ill take it!)
#62 Mattias Backman
#67 Daniel Catenacci
#84 Dylan Willick
#92 Yuri Urychev
#122 Tyler Biggs ( Truculence! )
#134 Jonathan Racine ( Ranked 4th in my top prospects list )
#182 Chance Lund ( Ranked 6th in my top prospects list )

For my trade for Season 2 I started fishing for goalie using Seguin as bait. I got to Washington and they would think about Seguin for Varlamov so i made the offer, they countered with Varlamov for OEL and with the depth we have at D i didn't mind that one bit so i make the trade.

For FA I signed Wayne Primeau and John Madden to 525000 contacts. This should give my some depth and some faceoff skill.

Oh ya for my Q1 stats seeing no one is getting back to i'm just going to half my Q2 player starts and round down on wins-loss. If you want you can DQ me for Q1 i don't think ill make top 3 for season 1 anyway :) Live and learn.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 am

Yay for Firefox! When i clicked the field to enter a number, firefox tooltiped all the old values for that box. Seeing as this is the first time i've done a challenge in a while there was only one value! I'm thinking that i hit calculate and then forgot to submit it after rechecking the values. Anyway my Q1 is now 100% right on the money. :joy: :joy:

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Closing in on the end of season 1. We have had a good run since the 60 game mark going 6-1-3 putting us in 9th place with a dozen games to go. Playoffs are not out of the picture.Huet continues to lead the league in Save %. If only we could score.We are in 27th place in the league with only 181 goals scored.Power play has improved a bit but is still poor (14%).

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Season one is over and no playoffs for the Nords.A few injuries and 4 1goal losses in the final 10 games dropped us down to 11th in the East.
Some strange happenings around the league. I saw more coaches and Gms fired then I think I ever have before. Then Boston 3rd in the east waived Kelly and Chara during the last week of the season ?????? They went out in 4 straight in the first rnd against the eventual Cup winners New Jersey.
On to the draft and offseason where we have to address our lack of offense.Going to look for a top centre, and RW.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 pm

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

I found my first injury somewhat funny. :-p

Return to “Challenge Forum”