Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:30 pm

All Challenge 22 discussion goes here.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Re: Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Post by Manimal » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:33 pm

For anyone looking to micro-manage their team, don't forget to add the Central Hockey League when choosing leagues as our ECHL-affiliate got lost somehow. We have one in the CHL, in stead.

There will be issues regarding waivers, but nothing can be done towards it. It will (hopefully) be sorted in the next roster-release

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 am

rofl! Souray traded to Oilers 12 days in! too funny

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:22 am

HAHA!! Daigle signed by the Senators.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 am

Same here. signed and waivedcin the same day lol.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 am

fml.. as i this season wasnt bad enough.. weiss out for a month....

Syvis
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by Syvis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 am

I was positively surprised by my first season. Made the playoffs as 6th seed and swept the Capitals in the first round. I alredy led the Hurricanes 2-0 but then Theodore and PK did the absolute choke job and the result was four consecutive losses. The PK was just atrocious the whole season and I couldn't figure out why as I've never had a PK this pathetic. Theodore also was solid as a rock the first six games and even shut out the Caps in the fourth game of the first round but then he turned into a sieve and let in 18 goals in the last four games. I guess that's what you get when your goalie has 9 consistancy. :dunno:

I'm excited for the second season and this team should do better if I can figure out the PK and get solid goaltending throughout the season and the playoffs. :-)

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Also to note...3 out of the last 4 challenge teams have had Angelo Esposito on the roster!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Loosie wrote:Also to note...3 out of the last 4 challenge teams have had Angelo Esposito on the roster!
LOL! Yeah, I noticed that too. Isn't that odd? And remember when he was one of the top prospects when he was drafted? Everybody used to hope and wish that they were able to get Esposito. Now he's a spare part.

Is anyone else finding Clemmensen to be better than Theodore? We've played 34 games so far. Clem has played 14 of them with a record of 11-3-0, 45 GA, 3.16 GAA, and a .885 SV%. Theodore has played 20 games with a record of 8-8-4, 66 GA, 6.26 GAA, and a .891 SV%. Theodore just came to my crying that he was unfairly benched (he's been dressed every game and had just played before this request) and wanted a trade. So to keep him from becoming a problem, I put him on the block at his request. Of course, he won't (can't) be traded. He'll settle down in a bit and I'll take him off the block.

Currently, my lines look like this...

Bergenheim - Weiss - Samuelsson
Fleischmann - Goc - Versteeg
Sturm - Kopecky - Skille
Upshall - Mathias - Bradley

Kulikov - Campbell
Jovanovski - Robak
Garrison - Gudbranson

Clemmensen
Theodore

Extra D - Weaver
Extra F - None

Kopecky replaces Goc on the PP. Fleischmann is my playmaker on the 2nd line because Goc and Kopecky aren't the best passers/playmakers. Samuelsson started out on the 2nd or 3rd line with Skille in his place and Versteeg moved up but Skille din't do as well as Samuelsson and Versteeg being on the 2nd line seemed to balance things better. I've really been surprised with Samuelsson. I figured he was old and didn't have much left in him. He's been a pleasant surprise. I really don't care for Kopecky. I'd like to get a playmaking center in here next season. Maybe Huberdeau will be ready next season? I doubt it though.

For Defense, I had Ellerby up on the big team to start but he really struggled, so he was sent to the AHL. He's not doing the greatest there either. Kulikov has been decent but Gudbranson has been a little disappointing. His skating is really holding him back. Weaver stinks, so I ended up calling Robak up to the main squad. He's played 22 games and done quite well for himself. That's been a pleasant surprise.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 am

Im looking forward to this seasons end.. All of my centers have been injured( including Weiss for a month!). Versteeg and fleischmann have been good, Campbell has been a bit of a disappointment. Clemmensen is getting better, Theodore has been getting worse. Clemmensen = 5-10-3 4.11 GAA, .881 SV. Theodore = 16-20-2 4.01 GAA, .882 SV. Esposito with 44 pts in 56 games has been a surprise as well.
Right now my lines look like this. 5-4-1 Last 10
Fleischmann-Weiss-Samuelsson
Dadonov-Esposito-Versteeg
Sturm-Goc-Upshall
Skille-Bradley-Bergenheim
Jovo-Campbell
Garrison-Kulikov
Ellerby-Gudbranson
Theodore
Clemmensen
Next season is looking promising with Huberdeau tearing apart the Q and Markstrom looking unbeatable in the AHL.

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:55 pm

eric1985 wrote:Next season is looking promising with Huberdeau tearing apart the Q and Markstrom looking unbeatable in the AHL.
Yeah, Huberdeau totally owned the QMJHL this season. Scored 180 points in 61 games and added 59 points in 21 playoff games. He also scored 11 points in 5 Memorial Cup games leading his team to the final in which they lost to Royun-Noranda. That's just crazy. He's almost guaranteed the 2 C spot for the upcoming season if the doesn't blow in the training camp and at the start of the season.

Markström will also be my backup next season if nothing strange happens. He had a really solid season in the AHL and I'm not extending Clemmensen.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:13 am

I had a head start on the challenge since I was talking to Bill about it behind the scenes. Still, I haven't been able to get to my first pre-season game yet!

It has been the same since I took over the rosters from Lidas and it sucks seeing you guys already finished season one. I want to be part of the discussion when it is happening and not be years behind the pack. This is bugging me and I will probably not make it through season one until the end of this challenge, lol.

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 am

I'm currently at the 20 game mark in the third season and things are looking up from a bad second season. All I have to say to Stephen Weiss is **** you! I tried to extend him for six months and he didn't accepts any of my offers and I even went up to offering 6,5 million per season. He becomes a free agent and sings for 4 million per year in Ottawa. Sometimes this game just makes me go crazy! ](*,)

There have been quite a lot of changes to the lineup during my game. I fortunately was able to pry Patrice Bergeron out of Boston for Colby Robak and he's been a good replacement for Weiss in the first line. He currently has 3+19 in twelve games. I was also able to solidify my defense by trading for Keith Yandle as he became available when he announced he wanted out of the desert. Keaton Ellerby went Phoenix's way. I have also made two waiver claims in Betts and Booth. I claimed Betts in the second season to help out my PK and he really has been a perfect fourth line center for me. Booth was put on waivers by Vancouver before the start of the third season and I decided to bring him back to Florida. He's been a nice addition to the second line with seven goals and thirteen assists in seventeen games.

Finally, it wouldn't be my team if my goalies weren't total sieves. I understand that my offensive tactics impact my goalies' stats negatively but Theodore and Markström have been pathetic so far. Theodore has a 5-5-1 record with 3.87 GAA and 88SV%. Markström has been even worse with 6-2-1 record and 3.95 GAA and 86,7SV%. They have won games just because of my great goal scoring but I don't see such success lasting if they don't improve. Markström has developed nicely during the two seasons but he'll have to bring it to the ice also.

My current lineup when everyone's healthy:
Fleischmann - Bergeron - Versteeg
Booth - Santorelli - Dadonov
Bergenheim - Goc - Skille
Upshall - Betts - Kopecky

Yandle - Campbell
Kulikov - Jovanovski
Yonkman - Gudbranson

Theodore
Markström

I'm pretty happy with that lineup and if the goaltenders learn to stop a beach ball, I can do some damage in the playoffs. I probably would've tried to trade for a goaltender this season but because of Weiss' antics I had to trade for a #1 center. We'll see what happens.

cstorring
Prospect
Favourite Team: Flames

Post by cstorring » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I have decided to stop lurking and join a challenge again, after some time.

This team really annoyed me to start off. The first 20 games has been brutal, especially he goalies. I changed a few things the last 5 games and ended up firing 50 and 60 shots the next couple of games. This has been tempered more recently though, with no help from my goalies (both hover around 4.00 GAA and .850 SV%). I suppose that's why they call this a Challenge, ha.

Hopefully the tweaks will turn things around but this is going to be a long challenge for this season at least, especially after enjoying success in non-challenge games recently.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Welcome back to the challenges!

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Hey all. I hope to be a little more active, but life be crazy. So far i've done my pre-season and my starting roster looks like:

Versteeg-Weiss-Samuelsson
Fleischmann-Santorelli-Skille
Kopecky-Goc-Upshall
Sturm-Matthias-Bradley

Kulikov-Soup
Jovo-Gudbranson
Ellerby-Garrison

Theodore-Clemmensen

Skille and pretty much all my defensemen did well in the preseason. With Fleischmann-Santorelli-Skille working very well together. Dadonov did well to but i didn't want him playing 3rd line mins so hes getting first line mins with the Rampage.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 pm

How is Santorelli doing for everyone? I didn't even keep him on my NHL roster. I sent him down to my AHL affiliate. It seems like a few of you are using him in a fairly significant roles. Is he up to it?

watts555
Minor League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by watts555 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm

I traded Santorelli for Jurco.. Wanna try and Get Huberdeau and Jurco playin together for my team :P

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 am

I had santorellli in the minor. then lost him and a couple others to re-entry waivers when the injury bug hit. I used my trade for with gudbranson for ryan. I wanted a kesler/getzlaf type but ryan fits in nicely.

cstorring
Prospect
Favourite Team: Flames

Post by cstorring » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:29 am

I don't think I could have bought an OT or SO win. 13 OTL's. 8 of those as wins would have given me a pretty good shot of making the playoffs. Oh well.

Santorelli led San Antonio in scoring with 88 points. I don't like his defensive skills enough to give him a chance in Florida.

Weiss missed 7 games but put up 97 points. I had 2 30 goal scorers, another 4 20 goal scorers and 6 more with 10. Scoring was decent, but goaltending was a bit suspect. Defense wasn't as bad as it was at the beginning of the season.

I look forward to next season, I think things may come together a bit better, as I hope to challenge for a playoff spot. Still haven't decided what to do with my trades or UFA/Waiver pick up.

Pleasant surprises: Robak with a +26 and 17 pts, and Esposito with 21-28-49 in 63 games (started out as a plug for an injury, but stayed up after that).

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:00 am

Santorelli does well as a 2nd line centre.... and thats about it. I would never play him on my 3rd or 4th line. But he has 15's in Faceoffs, Passing, Creativity, Determination, Acc, Speed, Stam 14 in Stickhandling, anticipation, Flair, agi. And 13 in Deking, Getting open, Teamwork, Balance. but all other skills suck. In the pre-season he had an avg. of 9.0. I'll let you know how his +- is during the season.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm

eric1985 wrote:I had santorellli in the minor. then lost him and a couple others to re-entry waivers when the injury bug hit. I used my trade for with gudbranson for ryan. I wanted a kesler/getzlaf type but ryan fits in nicely.
This is the problem I had, Santorelli is my #2 Center, but I've lost Esposito, Repik and Dadonov all to re-entry waivers due to injuries.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 pm

cstorring wrote:Pleasant surprises: Robak with a +26 and 17 pts, and Esposito with 21-28-49 in 63 games (started out as a plug for an injury, but stayed up after that).
Robak is doing very well in San Antonio, and I'm too scared to recall him for injury replacment given how I've lost others. I think he will be on the main squad for season 2.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I've been quite pleased with Robak. He's been on my Panthers rosters for most of the season. He's played 51 out of 66 games. He played 5 games for San Antonio to start the season. In his 51 games with the Panthers he has 6 goals, 21 assists, +18, 20 PIM, 7.45 AvR, and he has a 24:11 ATOI. He's my #4 defenseman behind Jovo, Kulikov, and Campbell.

Another young player that I'm very pleased with is Skille. This season he is my 3rd line RW behind Samuelsson (who's been exceptionally productive for me) and Versteeg. I think next season he might replace Samuelsson as either 1st or 2nd line RW. He's got decent size and he's a strong 2-way player. This season with only 12:41 ATOI he's managed to post 14 goals and 16 assists, a +8, 42 PIM, and a 7.79 AvR in 58 games. He also leads the team with 207 hits.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 am

I lost skille and bradley and mattias to the free agency even though they were rfa. of the bunch ill miss bradley the most, solid pk guy. Surprisingly Goc won the first award for us, a Selke!!

Return to “Challenge Forum”