Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Re: Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Post by Loosie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 am

How's McFarland doing for everyone? I'm still in the first season so I sent him back to Saginaw. He's destroying the league. In 59 games he's got 32 goals and 60 assists. Good for first in the league for assists and second in the league in points. (6 behind Strome)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Loosie wrote:How's McFarland doing for everyone? I'm still in the first season so I sent him back to Saginaw. He's destroying the league. In 59 games he's got 32 goals and 60 assists. Good for first in the league for assists and second in the league in points. (6 behind Strome)
I sent him back to Junior too. In 63 games he's got 21 goals and 81 assists. He was 5th in the league in points and 2nd in assists. He's got 6 goals and 6 assists in 6 playoff games right now. Their series is tied at 3.

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi everyone. Brand new to Challenges and to this board. I've played EHM off and on since I purchased it in 2008, but now with a new computer, I was looking to get back into it. Challenge seems like a great way to do it. I've read all the rules and hopefully I don't screw it up too badly. Looking forward to it and thanks to everyone involved in this for continuing to make EHM exciting and new

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi sstack04! Welcome to TBL! :thup: You should go over to the Arrivals forum and introduce yourself.

Also, welcome to the challenges. They're a lot of fun and many of us have found that we've really learned a lot about the game by playing in these challenges. Partially because of the tough rules but also because we discuss the different ways we all use the same team.

Oh and getting back to McFarland, my scouts just finished looking at him again and his outlook is a bit bleak. They say he has limited potential. He's unlikely an NHL in the future. Maybe he'll be trade bait? He is signed and under contract, so he's tradeable.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Oh I forgot to add that I just finished the regular season in Season 1 and finished 2nd in the conference! The Kings won the President's Trophy and the Flyers were number one in the Eastern Conference. We've got a battle of the Florida teams in the first round. My Panthers are matched up against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Should be interesting!

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello!
I decided to also play in the Challenge, I hope not to fail)))

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Very well started the season. 14 wins in 20 games, but in the 20th match Versteeg injured and was out for 3 months!
darn, darn, darn ...
And next game Sturm out for 7 months :rant:
In 31 game Theodore out for 3 months, i have no words - nightmare

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 pm

20 games in and no real surprises. Weiss is leading the team with 29 points in 20 games, I'm sitting in 6th overall. PK is absolutely horrible at around 75% so if anybody has any hints or help, it would be appreciated. Considering I'm last in the league in PIM's, my PK shouldn't be a team-killer. Goc/Upshall, Mattias/Kopecky or Weiss/Bradley with a little Bergenheim thrown in. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Clemmensen has played 10 games, Theodore 11 and like others here, Clemmensen is really outplaying him badly. 3.6 GAA and .891 SV% vs. 3.94 and .864 for Theo. Only surprise is Ellerby (sent him to San Antonio) who has been horrible (6.27 avg rating). Huberdeau has 29 pts in 24 games in Saint John, and McFarland has 33 pts in 22 games in Saginaw. Someone asked about Santorelli; I have him on my second line with Fleischmann and Samuelsson; he's done okay, 13 pts in 20 games. One last question for anybody; I rotate Kopecky/Bradley/Skille on my RW 3rd line checking. Anybody have any luck with these guys? Skille seems too good for a checking line, Kopecky has been horrible even though the scouts say he's a great checking guy. Bradley's hot and cold

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:57 am

sstack04 wrote:20 games in and no real surprises. Weiss is leading the team with 29 points in 20 games, I'm sitting in 6th overall. PK is absolutely horrible at around 75% so if anybody has any hints or help, it would be appreciated. Considering I'm last in the league in PIM's, my PK shouldn't be a team-killer. Goc/Upshall, Mattias/Kopecky or Weiss/Bradley with a little Bergenheim thrown in. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Clemmensen has played 10 games, Theodore 11 and like others here, Clemmensen is really outplaying him badly. 3.6 GAA and .891 SV% vs. 3.94 and .864 for Theo. Only surprise is Ellerby (sent him to San Antonio) who has been horrible (6.27 avg rating). Huberdeau has 29 pts in 24 games in Saint John, and McFarland has 33 pts in 22 games in Saginaw. Someone asked about Santorelli; I have him on my second line with Fleischmann and Samuelsson; he's done okay, 13 pts in 20 games. One last question for anybody; I rotate Kopecky/Bradley/Skille on my RW 3rd line checking. Anybody have any luck with these guys? Skille seems too good for a checking line, Kopecky has been horrible even though the scouts say he's a great checking guy. Bradley's hot and cold
My PK is terrible, too, if we take the interval from 21 to 40 a game, it is generally 71%, i don't know what to do.
As for goalies, I use Theodore and Markstrom, when Theodore was injured, then called Clemmensen and he's playing very poorly.
Sixth defencive using it Ellerbe, Derlyuk, both are bad avg rating, but the plus-minus is not very bad.
Santorelli, I do not play, or plays in the 4th line.
Kopecky use in the 2nd line and 2nd PP line, scoring a little, but generally good plays.
Skille at first generally held in reserve, but when an injury Versteeg, then put it in the 1st line and he plays very well.
I'm afraid to call Robak, as you know because of some problems with he can cleared from re-vaiver.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Just at the halfway point of season 1.The team isnt playing too bad , we are currently in 3rd in the east but only 6 points between us and 12th so any let down and we can slip down the standings in a hurry.
I left Gudbranson and Huberdeau on the junior teams for the first season.. Hired Jeremy Roenick as an assistant coach. Too bad there is no press conferences like in Football Manager , id be letting him handle them all.
Im changing my lines more often then I usually do but they kind of look like this.

Fleisschman-Weiss-Versteeg
Upshall-Santorelli-Samuelson
Dadonov-Goc-Kopecky
Sturm-Matthias-Bradley
Skille and Bergenheim are spares, Skille has gotten into 26 games and plays really well.

Kulikov-Campbell
Garrison-Jovo
Elleby-Robak
Vernace gets called up for injuries and has been in 16 games.

Theodore -Clemmemson in goal is a weak spot that has to change in season 2

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 am

in the third part of the season, the team began to fall just.
Versteeg after injury scored only 2 goals in 16 games, the defense began to miss even more than before, and may be in the playoffs do not get.

I play mostly in the combinations
Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Kopecky-Goc-Samuelsson
Bergenheim-Matthias-Dadonov/Esposito
Upshall-Bradley-Skille/Santorelli

Campbell-Garrison
Jovanovski-Gudbransson
Ellerby/Derlyuk-Kulikov

Theodore
Markstrom/Clemmensen

Dadonov very well played in first PP line

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 pm

So I've wrapped up my first season (just need to sim to July 1st to get my last screenshot) and I think I did fairly well. We ended up finishing 2nd in the Eastern Conference. We played the Lightning in the first round and beat them in seven games. We had the Sabres in the next round but they beat us 4 games to 2. The Stanley Cup Finals ended up being between the Ducks and the Bruins with the Ducks raising the Stanley Cup after beating the Bruins 4 games to 2.

Marcel Goc won the Selke this year! Weiss won the Lady Byng trophy (one I hate having one of my players win!). Kevin Dineen came in 2nd in Adams Trophy voting.

The draft was rather boring for me this year. I was surprised to see how few picks we had. 1 first, 1 second, 1 fourth, and 2 sixths. Also, since I picked 27th, I missed most of the better players available. Here is my draft...

1st rd 27th pk Jimmy Oligny LD CAN 19 y/o 5'11" 198 lbs
He's a skilled defenseman with 1-2 potential. He's compared to Craig Rivet with a smaller frame. My scouts also say he's future captain material (16 leadership). Very aggressive (19) and has good character skills (15 determination, 16 teamwork, 16 workrate).

2nd rd 57th pk Ryan Pulock RD CAN 18 y/o 6'0" 196 lbs
He's an offensive defenseman with 1-2 potential. My scouts compare him to a poor-man's Roman Polak only more offense oriented or Dan Hamhuis. He's a great skater with great stamina. He's not very aggressive or creative but the rest of his mental attributes are good. His technical skills are pretty well-rounded.

4th rd 117th pk Thomas Di Pauli C ITA/USA 18 y/o 5'11" 183 lbs
He's a skilled forward with 1st line potential. My scouts compare him to a poor-man's David Krejci but with a slower stride. He's got fairly well-rounded attributes (physical, mental, and technical) but he's got one glaring weakness. He's got a very low determination (6). He's a bit of a reach.

6th rd 157th pk Shane Danyluk C CAN 18 y/o 5'10" 178 lbs
He's a 2-way forward with 3rd line potential. My scouts compare him to a poor-man's Maxim Lapierre but with a smaller frame. He's got pretty well-rounded attributes with Teamwork being his best (18).

6th rd 177th pk Mike Aviani C CAN 5'11" 176 lbs
He's a skilled forward with 3rd line potential. My scouts compare him to Colin Fraser. He's got good mental attributes and strong stamina.

Well, that's it. That was an underwhelming draft. It also appears that I am a poor man since most of the guys I draft are poor-man's version of other players. Oh well! This team had some nice young talent to start off with. I can survive a weak first draft.

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 pm

So, I finished my first season.
I played a lot better than I expected before starting. We scored a lot, but the second half of the season on defense issues and the game keepers were terrible.
In the first round of the playoffs we beat 4-2 Montreal, particularly memorable match in which we won in the fourth overtime, causing 83 shots on goal, and scored 1 of 14 PP.
In the second round are decided in the fifth match in which we have missed the victory at the end of the match, eventually losing the series 2-4.
Detroit won the Stanley Cup by beating Carolina in the final 4 -1

Tomas Fleischmann won Art Ross Trophy this year!
Marcel Goc won the Selke!
Brian Campbell came in 2nd in James Norris Trophy
Marcel Goc came in 2nd in NHL plus-minus

In draft i picked 21 number. Here is my draft

1st rd 21 Dominic Poulin RD CAN 18 years
2nd rd 42 Connor Crisp C CAN 17 years
4th rd 111 Artem Sergeev LD RUS 19 years
6th rd 151 Mathieu Gagnon LD CAN 19 years
6th rd 171 Alexandre St-Arnaud G CAN 19 years

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

This is one "quirk" or "bug" in the game that I hate! I'm trying to sign Tuukka Rask as a UFA for the $2,000,000 yearly cap hit that we're allowed. It's less than he was asking for (I think he wanted around $2.6M or $2.8M). I know that signing him is a long shot. The Oilers and the Rangers both put offers in on him. He accepts the Oilers' offer and they immediately back out of the deal (I get the "Oilers give up on Rask" news message). Then either the same day or the next day, the Oilers make an offer to him again. And then a few days later Rask accepts the Oilers offer, which the Oilers immediately pull out of. This has happened 4 or 5 times already and it's early August. Either sign him or don't! Oh and somehow as a result of all of this, Rask's favorite team shows up as the Oilers (even though he's never played for them) and Steve Tambellini is listed among his favorite staff. What the Dickens?

](*,) :rant: :-?

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 pm

It's happened to me before (not in this challenge) and the reason every time in my leagues were that the Oilers (or whomever) made an offer, Rask (or whomever) accepts, but the subsequent contract put the Oilers over the cap space or player budget so they have to back out. Happened every stinking offseason. The positive for you is that Rask is not on your team; if he's that dumb to continuously accept a contract from a team who immediately renegs, imagine how that stupidity would have rubbed off on your players. I love me some Tuukka, but that's a severe lack of brains.

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Rough end to the year. Choked the last 22 games and ended up out of the playoffs. Carolina beat Chicago in 7 to get the Cup; Norfolk beat Oke City in 7 for whatever the AHl one is. I won no awards (didn't deserve any), but I think I had an okay first draft.

1(11) Luca Ciampini - Goal-scoring LW, 1st line potential - a more talented version than Dany Heatley
2(41) Brady Brassart - Skilled C, 1st line potential - like Shawn Horcoff
4(101) Ryan Van Stralen - skilled offensive LW, 1st line potential - a poor man's Andy McDonald
6(152) Robert Steeves - Backup Goaltender - a more talented version of Matt Climie ... based on Climie's career, that's not necessarily a good thing
6(161) Taylor Fielding - skilled RD, 5-6 potential - a poor man's Jim Vandemeer

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

And about a week later (game time), he accepted their offer and they didn't back out. Now they're trying to dump Khabibulin and go with a tandem of Rask and Dubnyk.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:21 pm

So Season 1 is in the books (just need to sim up to get the screenshots). Last in the East...ugh. 2nd last overall in the NHL. So we picked 2nd overall, Dallas was worse.

1 (2) Alex Galchenyuk, Big 18-year old C, skilled forward, first line potential. A slower, but more talented version of David Krejci
2 (32) Barclay Goodlow, Huge 19-year old winger, skilled forward, first line potential (ranked 16th and still available) Like Alexandre Picard
4 (92) Ben Duffy, small 20-year old C, Utility forward third line potential. Poor man's David Desharnais
6 (151) Brady Austin, huge 19-yr old D, Defensive Defensemen, no. 5-6 potential. A poor man' Andrew Alberts
6 (152) Mike Aviani, 19-yr old C, Quick forward, third line potential. A poor man' Scott Gomez.

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Yikes, Q1 of Season 2 is not off to a good start. Most of the overall team stats are better than last year's, but I'm sitting in 10th. Couple of quick notes; DiPietro has been waived three times since this challenge started and no one has picked him up. Guess the AI world is as smart as the real world and nobody wants to be saddled with that contract. Theodore has no asked to be traded three times. No idea why, he's not doing that poorly (7.86 last year, 7.6 so far this year) and he's the clear #1 guy. Clemmensen is sitting in San Antonio and Markstrom just isn't ready for the #1 joib I don't find. I picked up 75 year-old Ray Whitney as my off-season UFA for $1,29M. He has 22 points in 20 games and the reason I picked him up is because the left side has been horrible. Fleischmann is still doing fine, but Upshall has been a horrible disappointment. Anybody have any luck with him? I've played him on every line to try to find a spot where he doesn't suck and he can't put a consistent 7 or 8 rating playing with anybody. 25 pts last year, 8 so far this year. Brutal. Huberdeau and McFarland were both sent back to Juniors again. Huberdeau doesn't have AHL eligibility and he wasn't goign to beat out Weiss or Santorelli for C1 or C2; Goc and Mattias are both better overall right now. Anybody have Huberdeau playing? If so, how is he?

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

1st season 3rd quarter done. Just keeping our heads above water.Brian Campbell out for a month as well as Fleischmann for 2 weeks. Decided to open up our tactics a bit. Kind of a modified run and gun and having some success. Santorelli continues to surprise me and has had a fantastic last week Rating of 10, 10,7,8, 3goals and 8 assists. Can he keep it up ???

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 am

So season 2 is going much better than season 1. We're are thick in the divisional race. Skille is playing amazing as my #2 RW. Versteeg is still number 1, but the line of Sturm-Santorelli-Skille has had some amazing chemistry.

I never did address my goaltending issue. I didn't resign Clemmenson thinking that I could pick up someone in the off-season. I offered a contract to Rask, but he signed with Tampa for $2.6M. What's weird is the board let me offer him up to like 5 or 6M, but everyone else I offered a contract too I was only allowed to offer them 760K...so no off-season FA signing.

Which means I was able to use the waiver pickup. And I picked up Tom Kuhnhackl. He was up on the block, but I wasn't sure where he'd fit in and who I wanted to give up for him. So I waited...then he was traded and immediatly put on waivers. So I picked him up...and sent him back to juniors.

Everyone seem to have stepped it up this year, esp. Theodore. Here's hoping for a playoff birth!

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Wrapped up the first season. Finished in 8th place and got to meet the first place Sabres in the playoffs.We lost the series 4-1 but played well. All losses were by 1 goal and 3 went into overtime.
Santorelli had a good season 22g 35a +4 ,7.22 rating. In goal Theodore was better than I though he’d be, 29w 18l, 3.12Gaa,90.1 Sv % and 8.05 Rating. I think most lacking for me was a real goal scorer. Samuelson led the team with only 27G, Versteeg and Fleischman had 26 and Weiss 25.
Buffalo went on to win the Cup sweeping Chicago in the finals.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Well I made my season 2 trade right away in this challenge. Just 3 days after we were allowed to make trades, I sent Keaton Ellerby (who had been in the AHL this season and most of last) to the Blues for Brian Elliott. The only area that I felt that I really needed help was in net and he fills that role nicely. I sent Clemmensen down to the AHL after waiving him (he went unclaimed).

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey Bruins, I was looking at Elliot as well for my trade. I made a few inquiries over the summer and looked liked Id be able to get him for one of the young dmen we’ve got.Not sure now if I’ll make that trade or try something else to be different.
I ran into the same trouble as Loosie and wasnt able to sign any FA’s. I actually made a offer for Corry Schneider, but my Board vetoed it saying they didnt want to go in that direction. Im only halfway through the pre season and have a few decisions to make.
Im kind of toying with the idea of trying Markstom as my #1 goalie, but it might be too soon and not sure how that will affect his future development.
Im bringing in Gudbranson this year and probably sending Huberdeau back to junior again.

Return to “Challenge Forum”