Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm

I know what you mean about wanting to do a different trade. I usually try not to target players that I've seen somebody else deal for in the same challenge.

IMO, it's far too early to go with Markstrom as your #1 goalie. He's just too young and hasn't developed enough. I left him in the AHL for season 1 and he's down again for season 2. I might bring him up in season 3 as a backup. Gudbranson has been on my NHL roster since season 1. He's great for leadership (he wears an A for my team) and physical play. I liked him better than my other options at the position. Huberdeau went back to junior again in my game. I'll probably give him a year in the AHL in season 3 and see where he stands then. Quinton Howden and John McFarland look like serious busts in my game. Scott Timmins looks like he could come up and be a nice 3rd line center for us in a year or so though.

This season's offensive production has been surprising. I've sat Samuelsson and kept him as an extra forward. Originally, I had planned to trade him but when I went hunting for a goalie, none of my trading partners were that interested in him, especially in a 1 for 1 swap. So Samuelsson has played 7 out of the first 20 games. He filled in when I had injuries. My top line of Bergenheim - Weiss - Versteeg has been good but not great. Weiss and Versteeg are both averaging a little better than a point a game and Bergenheim is averaging a little less than a point per game. My second line is where I'm seeing the top production! I've got a line of Fleischmann - Santorelli - Skille. These guys really click! Skille is leading the team in goals with 16. Fleischmann leads the team in assists (19) and points (32). He's also 5th in the league in points!

My first 20 games have gone well. I'm leading the Eastern Conference and the league in points with 28. We've got a record of 12-4-4. My PP is good but in this next segment of 20 games I've really got to improve my PK.

sstack04
Junior League

Post by sstack04 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Unbelievable disaster in Florida. After 30-35 games in Season 3, I knew I was out of it with no chance so I let the reigns off Ellerby and Gudbranson. Gudbranson fought his way to 666 PIM's and Ellerby had 800 even. Overall, very disappointed in my lack of progress and I hope Ellerby/Gud ice their hands for Challenge 23

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:44 pm

You might want to take a read through the tactics thread for some ideas.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

So my Challenge is on hold for now. My computer..um...well literally crashed, as it fell off my table. At first it seemed everything was ok until I heard a sizzle and smelled burning. After opening up the laptop I found that the DC input was cracked and the section of board right under had a nice black mark. So until I can get a replacment part for it I'm with out my home laoptop.

Now (shh...) I do have EHM on my work laptop but the recently installed DLP software, so while I can transfer the save file to my work PC I won't be able to get it back off once my home PC is fixed, save for emailing it....and I'm not going to email a 100m+ file.

I had just finished my 2nd season. We finished nice and strong, Skille had a breakout season. Versteeg topped 100 points. And we ran into the Crosby train. The Pens were the 3rd seed and we were the 6th seed. The Atlantci was the week division this year as the Pens were only in 3rd due to division lead until the last few games of the season. For while they were trading 3rd and 9th with Philly and New Jersey. So I was thinking we were evenly matched. I even tried deploy some personal tactics by having players assigned to check Crosby, Malkin and Neal, but to no effect, Neal and Crosby had 9 points each in the 5 games series (My first P/O game win of an NHL challenge!)

I think I need to work on some tactics. Anyways, I'm hoping I can get my PC fixed sooner rather than later. If comes down to the end of the challenge and it's still not fixed than I'll throw the saved file on my work PC to sim up to the screenshots.

aadz
Junior League

Post by aadz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Finally got around to join you guys for the challenge. Yay!

20 games in on the first season, I'm very happy with the start. I thought the team was going to be a lot worse, but there seems to be a lot of hidden gems around. My top performers have been Weiss, Skille, Jovanovski and Clemmensen (!) who all have 8+ AvR. Clemmensen has been on fire, and he's been causing Theodore to ask for a trade, twice. Also Garrison, Samuelsson and Goc have been great, whereas Bergenheim and Weaver haven't. Santorelli hasn't played a game yet due to injury.

Lost Dadonov on waivers, after I forgot to send him to the AHL after the training camp, but he hasn't been missed, at least yet. Also sent Gudbranson back to juniors, as I don't think that under-20 people should play in the NHL.

Playing with the non-CSD patch.

Marsac
Fringe Player

Post by Marsac » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:43 pm

:1st:

Campbell and Kulikov led the team to a Stanley Cup in season two, they had 20 and 17 points in 22 playoff games. Markström deserves a mention as well, he came in when Theodore faltered and ended up with a 12-1 record. He will be my starter in season three and Theodore is out the door.

I read that someone's playoff run got ruined by Crosby so I had to go back and check my own stats since we were up against him in the first round. In the four games we won against the Penguins Crosby had exactly zero points, in the two we lost he had five. Maybe one player can make a team, when he's scoring.

I believe I've mentioned before that I like to spread my ice-time and hence scoring around. It may not always get the crazy point totals I see from some challenge players but it seems to work well in the playoffs so I'm happy. Only two players averaged less than 10 minutes this season. No forwards were over 20 and no defencemen over 25. My leading goal scorer averaged 16:58.

Speaking of Skille he had an amazing run going with 35 goals in 40 games but then he suffered an injury and had only two goals in the next 20 game segment. He finished the season with 52 goals but scored only six in the playoffs, thankfully other players picked up the slack.

The second draft was a sad affair as usual and having the 30th pick didn't help. I ended up drafting what I envision as a fourth line enforcer with my first round pick.

My second season trade was Ellerby for McMillan. I played McMillan like a rookie, giving him almost no special teams time, but I hope he can improve my PK for the third season. This time around I'm looking to move Kopecky, Upshall or Weiss. Kopecky/Upshall because they are not worth what they are being paid or Weiss to make room for Huberdeau depending on how he does in the AHL. I really have no idea what I'm looking for in return. After all, I already have a cup winning team on my hands. :-D

Syvis
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by Syvis » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm

These goalies are so painfully bad it's eating away at my motivation to play this challenge. Markström's save percentage is 88 and Theodore's is 87,7. I play an offensive game and usually my goalies stats aren't good but this is just ridiculous. I think I might try to suffer through the third season and try to acquire a goalie who can stop a puck for a change.

It's so bad I think I might do better icing six skaters the whole game.

Marsac
Fringe Player

Post by Marsac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 pm

I got started on season three yesterday and my hope of McMillan improving my PK was destroyed in a hurry with PK hovering around 75%. It has started to climb after a minor change in tactics though so I'm hoping I can atleast get it over 80%.

FA additon: N/A
Waiver addition: George Parros
AHL addition: A.J. Jenks
Trade addition: Alex Auld

I decided to move Upshall for Auld to improve my goalie situation so now I'm running a 1A 1B type setup and Clemmensen is back in the AHL. It's a good thing I made that trade as Markström is still very inconsistent going from 33 save shutouts to allowing five goals on 22 shots. I hope that will get better with age.

I picked up Parros to be my number 13 forward but he has already played in 17 games due to injuries. He has a 7.59 AvR averaging 7:41 of icetime. I love effective depth/fringe forwards.

Campbell is building on his strong playoff run and has 16 points in 20 games so far, Kulikov has 13. Forward scoring has moved from the right side to the left side of PP1 with Fleischmann having 17 goals and Skille eight. Skille's shooting is only at 9.6% compared to around 16% in the two previous seasons so I expect things to correct themselves as the season rolls along.

Colby Robak is still disappointing with only five points and a +1 rating. I've seen other challengers have success with him so I guess it's a matter of tactics.

Speaking of disappointing, Huberdeau has four points, is -5 and has a 6.60 AvR in 10 games in the AHL.

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Wow... Marcel Goc just won his third straight Selke trophy. Blair Betts was the runner up so I think I'm pretty nicely set up with two-way centers.

The team managed to pick their games up after I swore I would never play Theodore again and I didn't with Markström playing the remaining 20 games or so in the regular season and 12 playoff games. We got through to second round beating Carolina 4-1 but the Sabres held on to their 3-1 series lead in the second round and advanced to conference finals by winning the game seven 5-3.

I'm looking to solidify my goaltending spot as I still don't trust Markström even if he played well when he got the reins as a starter. At least I don't have to ever again see Theodore give up goals left and right.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Syvis, it could be you're not using your defense right in terms of your goalies. In season 1 for me Theodore is leading the league with a .924 Sv Percentage, and Clemmensen isn't far back. My forwards play a very open game, but my defense I have play very responsible. Though Kulikov and Campbell seem to be chipping in quite a bit on the scoring.

Marsac, it could be differences in how the player turned out in your save game. From what I remember Manimal especially on younger prospects has some randomness built in as there's no way of knowing how good some players will turn out. You could have just gotten a dud Robak. That being said it could also be tactics.

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:45 pm

thunderbug wrote:Syvis, it could be you're not using your defense right in terms of your goalies. In season 1 for me Theodore is leading the league with a .924 Sv Percentage, and Clemmensen isn't far back. My forwards play a very open game, but my defense I have play very responsible. Though Kulikov and Campbell seem to be chipping in quite a bit on the scoring.
Probably as I'm never been that good with defensive side of the tactics and I wouldn't exactly call myself a tactical genius but my goalies usually played a lot better even with my limited skills. Theodore actually had a pretty decent first season but after that he was just plain horrible. I'll have to take a longer look at my defense before the next season.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Just rolling into season 2. Gudbranson is staying up this year with Huberdeau going back to junior for another year.Decided to leave Markstom in the AHL as well .Wanting to upgrade in net and not wanting to do the same trade as Bruins. I tried to get Al Montoya from NYI, but they wanted more then i was willing to give up.A few days later and Montreal waives Peter Budaj, so I put in a claim. Pittsburgh got him and again immediatedly waived him. This time I get him. So looks like Ive got a bit better depth in net and still have a trade available for a solid #3 center or a better winger.

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 am

The second season was terrible.
I have signed from free agent Taylor Pyatt, because i decided to let Samuelsson. The first 20 games we played very well, and the triple Kopecky-Goc-Pyatt just shone.
But then our defense and goalkeepers have to miss much, Robak was terrible.
In the end, everything was right at the end of the regular season, we had two games before the end of the season, but unfortunately one of them we lost and personal meetings gave Ottawa a place in the playoffs.

Markstrom, Theodore - both are terrible
Jovanovski, Campbell, Gudbransson - good, Robak - terrible
Fleischmann, Weiss, Goc, Kopecky, Pyatt - very well.
Dadonov, Skille - normal.
Bergenheim, Matthias - much worse than last season.
Upshall, Bradley - terrible.

Huberdeau played 6 games, 5 of them are very bad and I sent him back to juniors.

In the third season really need a good goalkeeper and the gain in the face of strong juniors - Huberdeau and Dominic Poulin

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

20 games in to season 2 and we are 3rd in the East with 21 pts and a 10-9-1 record.Not great but we are competitive.Still no real top scorer , Versteeg leads with 8 G 17 pts.

Budaj hasnt done so well in the games he’s been in . He’s started 2 and come in as relief twice posting a 4.88Gaa and 88 Sv %. Theodore has been solid 2.79Gaa and 91SV %. Budaj will have to pick it up now for a while as Theodore is out for at least a week with injury.

Im liking Robak, hes developed well for me Attributes are 20 in strenth and Stamina, 19 Balance, 16 speed, 15 Anticipation Bravery Determination and work rate, 16 checking, 18 pokecheck. 16 positioning, 19slapshot. He has 2 goals 5A and is +7 with a 7.7 rating.

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm pleased with the start to the fourth season. I really spent more time with personal tactics and defensive side of the game and results have been better. I still have a -4 goals difference but that's pretty much because of a horrible start when Markström was injured in the first game of the season and I really didn't have a NHL quality backup after letting Theodore go. I've since acquired Tuukka Rask from Boston for Mike Santorelli and I've gone 8-2-1 since. Overall I think my defense is better this year and I have a goalie in Rask which I trust to be the #1 goaltender. Markström has been decent after I acquired Rask so I finally have a solid goaltending tandem.

I hope they can keep this up and if they do, this will probably be my best season so far.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Oh oh..... we just had a 3 game losing streak and have now been hit with injuries. Weiss 10 days, Skille 3 weeks , Santorelli 1 month. Time to see what sort of character this team has. I still have a trade available , might need to make it sooner than I was thinking.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Right..... so we won the first 3 games (2 in OT ) so far , Weiss has come back and now we lose Fleischmann for a month. Ive called up Scott Timmins to fill in at center

Syvis
Top Prospect

Post by Syvis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Rask has been unbelievable. I had my doubts about him even when I traded for him but he's quickly becoming a backbone of this team. His record so far is 17-4-2 with 2.24 GAA and 92,7SV%. He also has five shutouts in his first 23 games. Markström still blows with 6-7-1 record with 3.76 GAA and 87,5SV%.

Many guys are having career seasons and I'm currently sitting at 4th place after 40 games. First line of Booth, Bergeron and Skille has been on fire with all of them scoring over 50 points.

Pylon
Junior League

Post by Pylon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

Started playing this challenge, found it quite fun.

I played for 3 seasons then, a usual, the leafs pulled off a dumb trade and I got widdled so I stopped.

My goalies were terrible... even markstrom... prolly didn't let him develop properly.

One thing of note was skille in his second season got 42 goals on the second line... I was very suprised... sad to hear some people lost him on waivers.

Another player i was impressed with was Robak... solid plus play and Vernance also was amazing as a 3rd line defence... amazing that he's valued so low.

Biggest dissapointment was goc, i don't know why but i found myself scratching him consantly.

aadz
Junior League

Post by aadz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

First season over =D>

Finished regular season in 4th place, with 100 points which appears to be a franchise record :) I didn't have much expectations for the playoffs, but managed to beat the Devils in the first round, only to be swept by the Hurricanes in second.

My stars of the season were Weiss, Garrison, Skille, Clemmer and, after all, Theodore. Both of the goalies posted up AvR's over 8.00, but in the playoffs Clemmer took the starting job. Also, Markström failed to impress (3-2, 3.75, .870, 7.20).

No one in particular tanked, but I expected more from Kulikov, Kopecky and Sturm.

So, off to second season :)

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

First off...darn the age 24 rule of signing UFA's as Seguin was available between season 2 and 3 and is only 21. Although in the funny results of that...He was signed by Toronto...who still has Kessel! :)

Stastny26
Prospect

Post by Stastny26 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 am

So I finished the third season.
Before the season of the free agents signed Artem Anisimov to the position of the center of the third line.
Start the season was very bad, I thought that we would be among the outsiders.
But from 15 games, we were just up and up.
Very good again, was the first line and a pair of Kopecky-Pyatt.
But in the middle of the season I realized that I needed to strengthen the attack and has traded in my team Kovalchuk, who was very dissatisfied with the finding in New Jersey, had to pay for it, Repik and Versteeg, but it was worth it.
The last 20 games of the regular season, we failed and lost the home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
But in the playoffs we were very lucky with rivals.
In the first round, it was Pittsburgh, which Fleury was injured, that we have used and won the series 4-2, including the third and fourth match was won 8-1 and 16-3.
And in the second round we played against the Rangers, and again we were lucky, they have been injured Lundquist, 4-2 again, we won the series.
Unfortunately Buffalo goalie Miller was not injured and we are very easy to lose the series 1-4.

Theodore had a very good season.
Huberdeau was very bad, played about 30 games and scores 0 goals.
Dominic Poulin (rookie) played worse than I expected.
My prospect Crisp win MVP in OHL.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi guys, I decided to take part in this Challenge, seeing there's still more than a month to go...

I've got one question, while I'm still at the first camp: should I be worried by the fact that almost all of my prospects need to pass through both waivers and re-entry waivers? Ellerby, Robak, Gudbranson, Wilson, Jenks, Dadonov... the lot of them. Frankly, I'm afraid of losing some of them should I happen to call somebody up... :-k

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Círyatan wrote:Hi guys, I decided to take part in this Challenge, seeing there's still more than a month to go...

I've got one question, while I'm still at the first camp: should I be worried by the fact that almost all of my prospects need to pass through both waivers and re-entry waivers? Ellerby, Robak, Gudbranson, Wilson, Jenks, Dadonov... the lot of them. Frankly, I'm afraid of losing some of them should I happen to call somebody up... :-k
Yes, you should be worried. It is a flaw that came with the moved start date.
I have fixed it for the future but in this challenge you risk losing guys early

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks, Manimal. I'm using the non-patched rosters, by the way. I've been aware of a number of things that might go wrong (like the RFAs turning UFAs), but that is news to me... Still, gotta be careful, eh.

Return to “Challenge Forum”