Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

outdooral
Minor League

Re: Challenge 22: Florida Panthers (Discussion Thread)

Post by outdooral » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Season 2 wrap up. After a tough first half of the season 19-19-2 with lots of injuries we finally got everyone healthy. Tweaked the tactics some more and we went on a good run for the remainder of the season. Finished 43-33-6 with 92 pts and in 7th place. 2pts and one place better then season 1. Skille led the way with 38 goals and Campbell finished as the leagues second highest defensive scorer with 23g 24a.Goaltending was still weak with Thoedore putting up almost identical numbers as season 1 (3.15 Gaa, 90sv% ).

Unable to make a top end trade I made a depth move at the deadline and traded Samuelson (who I wasnt going to resign) for Blake Comeau.Another big depth forward who can play throughout the lineup and can help the PK.
The first round of the playoff had us up against Buffalo again. A tough seven game series has us come out on top.Next up is New Jersey, who managed to pick up Gaborik and is a goal scoring machine of a team. Budaj replaces Theodore after the first period of game 2 and we go on to win the series 4-3. The east final pits us against Carolina and another top goalie. This time we lose out in six games. Carolina goes on to lose the Stanley Cup against Chicago.

So season 2 was an improvement with a good playoff run, but both special teams play are still weak ( 13.7% PP, 81.3% PK )
Going forward Im going to let Theodore and Sturm go, hoping Markstom and Huberdeau are able to move up . A.J. Jenks and Repik ( who won the AHL scoring title) will also get a good look.

enforcer13
Learning to skate

Post by enforcer13 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Decided to give this challenge a go. It should be fun. :)

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm

It's been so quiet here. Anybody still playing this Challenge?

Just wrapped up Season 1. Colour me surprised, but we've got the Cup right away. Whoopee. This team is extremely fast, and the forward depth makes for shaky at times goaltending. I juggled my lines a little bit over the course of the season, but it mostly looked like this:

Fleischmann – Weiss – Samuelsson/Versteeg
Upshall – Santorelli – Samuelsson/Versteeg
Bergenheim/Kopecký/Sturm – Goc – Skille
Bergenheim/Kopecký/Sturm - Matthias – Bradley

Kulikov – Campbell
Ellerby - Jovanovski
Garrison – Yonkman
Lojek/Weaver

Théodore
Clemmensen

I didn't expect much from Santorelli, but he proved to be a good 2nd liner (68GP 15G 48A 68P +21 AvR 7.75). The defence was a harder nut to crack, with Ellerby not yet being the player I hope him to eventually become, but Kulikov and especially Soupy (82GP 18G 45A 63P +40 AvR 8.04) and Jovocop (82GP 14G 36A 50P +45 AvR 8.96) were simply outstanding. Jovo got the Conn Smythe (Samuelsson 2nd), Plus-Minus Award (Soupy 3rd) and was chosen to the First All-Star Team, Campbell won the Norris and came 3rd in Hart, Goc was awarded the Selke Trophy, while Fleischmann was 3rd in Lady Byng. Coach Dineen got the Jack Adams Award and that was the first season.

I'll post the screenshots after draft.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm still playing it but I haven't had the chance to do much with it lately. I'm determined to get my second season completed at least. I've just been too busy.

Oh and a word or two of advice... bring up Robak for your defense and move Skille up to 1st or 2nd line for season 2.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Robak didn't make my team until season 3, Skille took off in season 2 on my second line though.

I haven't had much time to play lately either, I would liketo get through the 3rd season at least though.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Just getting into season three. The draft was well.... not great. I may have picked up a depth defensemen and Rw but both are a long way off. Decided to bulk up a bit at centre with a free agent signing.The 2 I liked were Michael Handzus and Samuel Pahlsson. Decided on Pahlsson a bit faster and overall better attributes .
Let Sturm and Theodore go.
Trainign camp was tough on the prospects . Jenks, Repik,Marksrom, and Huberdeau will all start in San Antonio along with Shawn Mattttias who lost his spot due to the signing of Pahlsson.
Opening day roster is almost identical to last year.
Bergenheim-Weiss-Versteeg
Fleischman-Santorelli-Skille
Upshall-Pahlsson-Kopecky
Comeau-Goc-Bradley
Dadonov

Kulikov-Campbell
Jovo-Robak
Garrison-Gudbranson
Ellerby

Budaj-Clemmenson

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:43 pm

20 games into season 3 . We are 6th [place with a 8-8-4 record. Special teams are abysmal. 10.2% pp, 80.3 pk. Going to have to change something.
Also the goalie tandem of Budaj and Clemmenson isnt working out . Budaj 5-5-3, GAA 3.43, SV% 88, Clemmenson 3-3-1, GAA 3.48, SV% 872 Im not going anywhere with these guys, so Ive just offered Dadanov to Pittsburgh for Brian Elliot. They acquired him late last season and still have him in the AHL.
If this goes through Im going to lose some more depth on the wing but we really need a goalie.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:02 am

Well wow! I have never seen a team tank like that! I was in 1st!!!! after 40 games and then.... Both Theodore and Clemmensen lost it. In the first 40 games Theodore would have a really bad game now and then ( i mean a rating 4 game :P) but mostly would play at an avg. of 8 most of the time. Then after about the 40th game they lost it. I didn't make and big tactic changes, just mainly messed with my PP and PK trying to get it to work. After about 15 games of minor changes trying to get things back i start major tactic changes to shake things up... and nothing. In my last 22 games i was 3-18-1! I have never seen a team fail like that. Sure we had some injuries but wow. So in the 2nd season im going to try and get a real starter. And totally re-work my tactics. Off to the forums to re-read the tactics section :D

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:10 pm

So I went young in Season 3 and it's not paying off like I thought it would. I signed Bjugstad in the off-season and I'm also playing Huberdeau and Howden, they are having ok seasons, but nothing stellar. I think I was expecting more out of both Huberdeau and Bjugstad then what they are giving me. And unfortunatley they now have to clear waivers to go to San Antonio, and I do NOT want to do that.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 am

I'm really starting to think this challenge is out to get me. I wanted to get a Goalie that would start for a year or two so i don't rush Markstrom so i go out and get Truco.... then two weeks latter he retires.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:33 pm

I made the Dadonov-Elliot trade 20 games in. I probably overpaid but really needed to improve in goal. It started well with Elliot, he went11-3-3 with a 2.82 GAA and 90.7 SV% Then went out for 7 months with a torn ACL.So Im back to the Budaj- Clemmenson show.Gudbranson also went out for 3-4 months, and Im getting other frequent injuries . Im just trying to make do with the current line up . Dont want to risk losing any of my good prospect on waivers.
60 games in and we are 7th at 29-22-9 with 67 points. We should make the playoffs, as the teams below us are at 61 pts and under.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Finished season 3. 7th place again thanks to a 3 games losing streak at the end of the season including a 5-0 loss to Washington. Skille led the team with 36 Goals, Weiss had 64 assists. Free agent signing Sammy Pahlson wasnt much of a help on the PK as we finished in 28th with 81.8%. PP was also terrible again , 29th place 11.7%.
Playoffs have us up against Washington in the first round and after a OT loss in game one and the loss of Fleischman to injury we get swept 4-0. Yuk.

Marrkstrom Huberdeau Jenks and Repik all had a great year in San Antonio and will get lots of ice in Training camp again

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

So my save for the challenge is hosed. I was hoping to finish season 2 at least but I think I screwed something up with the patch. I used the patch after the date I was supposed to and it caused some problems, so I had to use the patch in season 2 and bump it up further. I thought that was going to get me to the point between seasons 2 and 3 where I could stop using the patch. Nope! I'm in March of 2013 and it I try to continue and it just crashes EHM. Ugh! Oh well. I was seriously slacking on this challenge anyhow. I just didn't have the time to play.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 am

Poor Leafs, Reimer is injured so they called up Owuya and he was claimed on re-entry waivers. So then they called up Holtby...and HE was claimed on re-entry waivers. So I looked at their depth chart...they have one other goalie, but he is not signed.

Anyways Season 3 continues to plod on. Howden, Huberdeau and Bujugstad are improving and the teams overall play is improving too, slowly moving out of the basement.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Well I tried but just couldnt finish up season 4. Got to game 67 with a 36-23-8 record good for 6th in the East.
I didnt sign any Free agents during the summer and was going to wait to make a trade, when Pittsburgh made Jeff Carter available. I offered Shawn Matthias, (who was a pleasant surprise on the roster). They accepted right away, guess they needed to dump some salary. I felt a little guilty about this trade so I held off any waiver aquisitions for the year. Carter has been solid 34g-46a,8.84 rating as my #1 centre with Fleischman and Versteeg on the wings.
Weiss got bumped to the second line with Huberdeau and Skille. Huberdeau is having a great rookie season 2nd line LW and first PP unit. 27g-27a, +2, 7.75 rating.
Brian Elliot is providing more dependable goaltending 2.98Gaa, 9.04Sv % and 8.11 rating, with Markstrom providing backup. AJ Jenks also stayed up with the team but has only been in 38 games.

Im going to play out the season and write up one more post anyways. Its going to be a tough end though. Kopecky was injured playing in the Olympics and is out for 3 months and Campbell just went out for 3 weeks,

Return to “Challenge Forum”