Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Re: Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Bruins I left Moore in the AHL during season 1 as well thinking he wasn't ready for the NHL yet. He tore it up and so I brought him up to the big club in season 2 and found a hole to stick Martinek in who was by and far my worst defenseman in the NHL. I figured he'd start off on the 3rd pairing. He's played his way into a spot on the top line with Jack Johnson. I use my first 2 pairings interchangeably, as the 2nd has Tyutin and Wisniewski. Methot started out on the first pairing but has played himself out of that spot and instead on the third pairing.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 am

So is anyone else GM the farm teams? I'm GM both the Springfield Falcons and the Chicago Express. Chicago just upset the Colorado Eagles. Chicago was 4th in the division with a losing record (31-36-5 for 67 pts). Colorado was the second team overall in the ECHL with a record of 49-19-4 for 102 points. Chicago won the first round series in 5 games 3-2! Allen York had 2.46 GAA and .921 SV% in the first round. Springfield won their first playoff game against Portland.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 am

I gm Sprignfield but not Chicago. I don't exactly have any prospects down in Chicago.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 am

Allen York has had his attributes raised for season 2, now he is not much worse than Dekanich, but he is still not ready to be a backup goalie so he will probably become my starting goalie in Springfield and will most likely stay there for some time.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed May 09, 2012 10:21 am

I am playing this challenge albeit very slow. I just made it out of camp and the team is not doing very well.
I haven't spent much time on tactics so that is probably the reason.
The biggest surprise was Tomas Kubalík, who has made the team. I am dissapointed in Ryan Johansen and I am contemplating sending him to juniors.
I spend almost as much time with Springfield as with Columbus and I will soon add a GM for Chicago as well. There are too many guys on the Falcons

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu May 10, 2012 1:46 am

:rant:

My saved game seems to have a bug, the game keeps crashing on May 25th, 2012! No matter what I do, open with or with patch, it crashes. I just the generic windows message of the application is no longer working.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Do you have a backup save from your last stats you posted?

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I only have the one save, and it's from May 19th. It's funny the first few challenges I played I would create a new save after every stat upload, and after so many challenges and not having any problems I stopped doing it. ](*,)

Anyways the Blue Jackets did not make it to the post-season, so I can at least get the necessary screenshot even if they are not at the right date and at least complete the first season.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 pm

We've still got a lot of time left on this challenge if you want to restart. If so, we've just got to ask Archi to delete all of your stats from this challenge.

Also, please make sure to check your preferences to make sure that "Save Compressed" is not checked. I'd also suggest that you keep at least one backup save from your last posted stats.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Ok, I'll restart it then...it's too bad because I was in the middle of Chicago etting swept by Albany in the Kelly Cup finals :)

Yes every single time I tried to get past May 25th Chicago lost every game, the closest to winning I got was a 1-0 loss and an OT game. The save is just at the start of the Kelly Cup Finals.

jArtibise
Junior League

Post by jArtibise » Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 am

Absolutely abysmal last half of the season, worst I've ever had in EHM. Injuries to Mason, Nash, Huselius, Brassard, Prospal, dropped from 12th to 15th and I was ACTUALLY trying to compete. I'm lucky I didn't get fired.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Sun May 13, 2012 9:19 pm

On the bright side atleast with the fail you have a chance for Nail. Though I'm rather curious in my game Grigorienko(sp) went 1st overall. This is the first time I've ever seen that happen. Normally he doesn't crack the top 5. I once was able to steal him at 12th.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Mon May 14, 2012 2:55 am

I'm now 60 games into season 2. I found a player on waivers I couldn't live with out, which works out since I couldn't find one during the offseason. I picked Michael Ryder up on waivers. He fit into my 2nd Line RW spot and so far is a point a game and thats a whole lot better than Giroux. I also dealt Tyutin for Enstrom. This team looks like its got the ability to do well in the playoffs. I still don't think we get a cup, but the top 2 lines are clicking, and the defense along with Mason are taking care of business.

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:01 pm

I decided to join this Challenge, last one I've played was the Dallas Stars Challenge and I haven't been playing EHM since.
Started surprisingly well, having a record of 10-8-2 after the first quarter. I'm heavily relying on the 1st line and my PP so far. Nash had a slow start to the season but after the first 5 games he has been outstanding, recording 25g-12a-37p in the first 20 games. Johansen has done well too with a record of 6g-21a-27p. Huselius is my second best in points, mainly because he's in the first PP line with Nash and Johansen. He's got a record of 12g-17a-29p.

Here are my lines at the moment:

Umberger-Johansen-Nash
Huselius-Brassard-Atkinson
Prospal-Letestu-Dorsett
Boyce-MacKenzie-Boll

Methot-J.Johnson
Moore-Wisniewski
A.Johnson-Tyutin

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I finished the first season on the 9th place, just missing the playoffs. I juggled my lines over the season, but most of the time we looked something like this:

Umberger – Letestu – Nash
Prospal – Brassard - Huselius
Dorsett – Johansen – Bass
Giroux – MacKenzie – Boll

Tyutin – J. Johnson
Methot – Wisniewski
A. Johnson – Nikitin

Mason
Sanford

Once again, I am having problems with how to play the smallish bottom-6 forwards, Dorsett and MacKenzie. I tried various combinations of lines/tactics, but I can't say I'm happy with the result. If the problem persists into the second season, I'll seriously consider dropping both of the guys. :-k

I am cautiously optimistic about the first draft. I had some specified wishes, but eventually went with the best player available at every point. We ended up with:

13th: Derrick Pouliot (LD/RD, CAN, 5'11", 185 lbs, Swift Current Broncos). A projected top-pairing defenseman in the mould of Stéphane Robidas or Wisniewski. The choice was between him and Dalton Thrower, but I wanted to go with a left-sided player.
43rd: Mitchell Moroz (LW/RW, CAN, 6'2", 211 lbs, Edmonton Oil Kings). A big, aggressive winger looking a little bit like a young Scott Hartnell, albeit low Consistency (9) and Work Rate (10) can be a problem.
73rd: Dalton Sward (C/RW, CAN, 6'1", 187 lbs, Vancouver Giants). A two-way centre, compared to Tuomo Ruutu.
103rd: Simon Desmarais (LD, CAN, 6'0', 194 lbs, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles). A steady defensive defenceman.
133rd: Matt MacLeod (RW/LW, CAN, 6'3", 194 lbs, Brampton Battallion). A projected bottom-six winger with some scoring upside.
163rd: Hampus Lindholm (LD, SWE, 6'3", 198 lbs, Rögle BK). Honestly, I was surprised to see such a good player drop all the way to the sixth round. Could be a steal.
193rd: Tyrel Seaman (C, CAN, 6'2", 207 lbs, Brandon Wheat Kings). Could be a future upgrade on MacKenzie as a bottom-six centre.

In the post-season I traded Vinny Prospal to the Cup-winning Sharks for Ryane Clowe. I couldn't find any suitable UFAs though, so I'm guess I'll try my luck on the waver wire.

I must say I'm really enjoying this Challenge, probably the most since the Oilers game. I'll definitely try to at least a couple of seasons done.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm

thunderbug wrote:On the bright side atleast with the fail you have a chance for Nail. Though I'm rather curious in my game Grigorienko(sp) went 1st overall. This is the first time I've ever seen that happen. Normally he doesn't crack the top 5. I once was able to steal him at 12th.
I guess it is more realistic to how the draft will actually go down..

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

So I finished my first season and after a decent start, I'd have to say it was a pretty disappointing season overall. The Buffalo Sabres won the Cup! We finished 13th in the conference and had an abysmal penalty kill. Our PP was great but our PK was horrendous and we spent a whole lot of time in the box. In our second season we'll need a lot more discipline. Todd Richards will end up being fired and I'll make Mariusz Czerkawski coach. He was my big assistant hiring last season. He's got a 20 in Discipline and good stats in all other areas.

We ended up picking 6th in the draft. I sort of wish we had done worse so that we could have picked higher. I really wanted Grigorenko. He went 2nd overall but looked so much better than Yakupov to me. He had much more well-rounded attributes. Yakupov had some glaring weaknesses, like a 3 in Determination and 5 "red" technical attributes. He just didn't look all that impressive. I probably wouldn't have picked him in the first round. The only area Grigorenko was lacking was Aggression. Well, it doesn't matter. Both of those guys were gone by the time my pick came around.

My picks...

Rd 1 6th overall Henrik Samuelsson C/RW 6'2" 198 lbs USA/SWE
I believe this is another one of Ulf's sons. I won't hold that against him. My scouts wanted me to take Derrick Pouliot with this pick but I just didn't think I needed another player of that type. I've got plenty of offensive defensemen on this team. If anything, I need more defensive defensemen. I really wanted a forward with my first pick, preferably a RW. Henrik is a natural center but he's capable of playing RW and once he's in either the AHL or NHL, he's going to be trained to play RW. He's got a good frame, which I'm hoping he fills in over the next couple years. He's already a very good skater with decent strength. He's a hitter! He's also got good face-off, passing, and shooting skills. My scouts say he's a power forward with 1st line potential and they all compare him to Getzlaf (some say a more talented version of Getzlaf). He'll be invited to camp but I don't expect him to play for us this year.

Rd 2 33rd overall Colin Smith C 5'10" 180 lbs CAN
I went with BPA here. I've already got skilled centers for my top 2 lines but this kid looked good at this spot. He's not big and doesn't play a physical game. He's got great stamina though and some really nice offensive attributes. My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 1st line potential. They compare him to Mike Ribeiro.

Rd 2 36th overall Travis Brown LD 6'2" 178 lbs CAN
I'm hoping he gains some serious weight to fill out that frame. He's too skinny right now. He's a defensive defenseman with excellent determination, leading me to believe he might be capable of achieving more than my scouts believe. He plays an aggressive game and likes to hit. He's definitely the type of player that my defense needs. He still needs to work on his defensive skills before he's ready to join our team but I like his potential. My scouts say he's a defensive defenseman with 5-6 potential and compare him to a smaller but better version of Adam McQuaid

Rd 3 66th overall Aidan Kelly RW 6'2" 207 lbs CAN
I don't see much here but this is a pick I made based on trusting my staff. I didn't see a whole lot available at this spot and my 3 advisers (who each had 19's and 20's in the scouting attributes) at the draft wanted me to pick him. He doesn't look like much to me so I guess this one is a gamble. My scouts say he's an offensive forward with 4th line potential. They compare him to Blake Wheeler but with a slower stride. He's also 19 years old. I'm not so sure about this pick.

Rd 4 91st overall Ben Duffy C/RW 5'10" 178 lbs CAN
BPA here. He's a 20 year old C/RW that I think I can add to my AHL affiliate. He doesn't play very aggressively (5 in Aggression) but otherwise he's got pretty balanced attributes. He doesn't really stand out in one particular area. My scouts say he's a utility forward with second line potential. The compare him to Mark Letestu, so I'm not holding my breath for him to turn into much for me.

Rd 4 107th overall Jay Dickman C 6'5" 227 lbs USA
I really liked this kid's size. He's huge! He's a 19 year old American player who has committed to playing at Michigan State in the fall. He's got great strength already but I wish he were more aggressive and more of a hitter. Anticipation, Creativity, and Getting Open are all pretty low. I'm a bit concerned about that. My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 2nd line potential. They compare him to Martin Hanzal.

Rd 7 186th overall Sam Kurker RW 6'2" 202 lbs USA
He looked to be my best option at the time. He's got decent size and decent skills. My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 3rd line potential. They compare him to Martin Havlat but with a slower stride. He's heading to Boston University in the fall.

So that was my draft. In free agency I'll be looking at filling out my 3rd and 4th lines or maybe balancing my defensive depth. For my big trade I'll probably focus on trying to bring in a 2nd line RW because neither Bass nor Kubalik really fit the bill there.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

thunderbug wrote:On the bright side atleast with the fail you have a chance for Nail. Though I'm rather curious in my game Grigorienko(sp) went 1st overall. This is the first time I've ever seen that happen. Normally he doesn't crack the top 5. I once was able to steal him at 12th.
In my game that fialed it Grigorenko seemed to be heading for the number 1 pick. I'm fairly certian he was ranked 1st in the final rankings and Quebec won the President's Trophy, with Grigorenko getting most of the awards.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Well I made my trade for the season. I started making offers on July 1st, trying to get a deal done before the July 15th cutoff. One of my offers was accepted immediately and I took it.

We sent Fedor Tyutin to the New Jersey Devils for Travis Zajac. Tyutin was a pretty good 2-way defenseman for us but he wasn't irreplaceable. I really needed a solid second line RW and I think Zajac fits the bill perfectly.

I've got an offer in to a UFA defenseman. We'll see if he accepts. He's 34 years old but he's add leadership and toughness to my team. He was only asking for about $650k and I offered him $700K. I'm hoping he accepts.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

That's a pretty sweet trade!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:08 pm

I thought so. My AGM wasn't so hot on it when I was making the offer. I liked it though.

And I just got a response from my UFA. He's taken the offer. Colin White is a Blue Jacket now.

I'm still in July but this is what I think my lines are going to look like for the second season...

Calvert - Johansen - Nash
Huselius - Brassard - Zajac
Umberger - MacKenzie - Bass
Giroux - Lerestu - Dorsett

J. Johnson - Moore
Methot - Wisniewski
White - Goloubef

Mason - Sanford

Extra Skaters :
A. Johnson, Prospal, Boll

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 am

bruins72 wrote:Well I made my trade for the season. I started making offers on July 1st, trying to get a deal done before the July 15th cutoff. One of my offers was accepted immediately and I took it.

We sent Fedor Tyutin to the New Jersey Devils for Travis Zajac. Tyutin was a pretty good 2-way defenseman for us but he wasn't irreplaceable. I really needed a solid second line RW and I think Zajac fits the bill perfectly.
Yeah, that's a great trade. I like Tyutin, but Zajac is a solid second line player. =D>

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Tue May 15, 2012 5:19 am

I finished my first ten games of season one 4-6. Not horrible, but I've got some serious problems. I have six players hurt right now: Umberger, Bass, Brassard, Gillies, A. Johnson, and Martinek. Jack Johnson is playing horribly and has been suspended twice for misconduct. (I gave him an official warning the second time... we'll see how that goes) And probably my biggest problem is my 4th line of 5'ers:

Gillies: 5.89 avg
MacKenzie: 5.60 avg
Dorsett: 5.40 avg

I'd probably be better off with either the kids in Springfield or just playing with three lines.

I'd love some advice from the people that got these guys to average 6's!

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 am

timmy_t wrote:I finished my first ten games of season one 4-6. Not horrible, but I've got some serious problems. I have six players hurt right now: Umberger, Bass, Brassard, Gillies, A. Johnson, and Martinek. Jack Johnson is playing horribly and has been suspended twice for misconduct. (I gave him an official warning the second time... we'll see how that goes) And probably my biggest problem is my 4th line of 5'ers:

Gillies: 5.89 avg
MacKenzie: 5.60 avg
Dorsett: 5.40 avg

I'd probably be better off with either the kids in Springfield or just playing with three lines.

I'd love some advice from the people that got these guys to average 6's!
Dorsett is the only guy I used from those three and he is better in a strong forecheck style..

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm

As bestrafer mentioned with the guys in question a strong forecheck seems to work better, though in Season 2 not even that can save them. Gillies in down in Springfield and Dorsett is too, and the fans are screaming for Gillies head. As for Bruins trade I like it a whole lot more than your AGM. Trades are one area where the game isn't quite up to snuff. I've had a couple trades in games where I thought I was getting a steal and the board the ripped me for it. I think the boards though tend to favor veteran players, as usually one of my goals in trading is to get younger.

Return to “Challenge Forum”