Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bestrafer7
Drafted

Re: Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by bestrafer7 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:24 am

thunderbug wrote:As far as drafting goes. I almost always draft BPA, for the simple reason that I don't intend to rush players into the NHL, unless they can handle it. Second season draft is always atrocious, and I'll be lucky if I get any nhlers out of it. First season was ok, I might end up with a couple kids.
This team has about 20 RDs and no RWs or LDs.. so I went positional and it paid off.. (at least for now.)

2nd season will get better now that the WHL is getting updated..

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I usually go BPA too but like you said, the over-abundance of RD is crazy. I've looked at a few of these guys to see which handed shot they are and for the most part I've been able to balance them out that way. Right now the only RD I have with a left-handed shot is John Moore. He's on the LD in PP situations though.

I might be forced into trading a player that I don't want to lose next season.Checking my players out. Several had the "Wanted" flag but Jack Johnson had the "Unhappy" flag. So I looked at his info and there is a line saying that Jack Johnson hopes Umberger learns from his mistakes. I didn't have any issues with Umberger. He didn't miss a practice, get suspended, or doing anything of note. He's played great hockey and nothing more. Johnson's info also lists Umberger as disliked staff now. What the Dickens? Umberger's info doesn't have any mention of Johnson. I guess the "dislike" isn't mutual. I'll have to keep an eye on this situation and see how it plays out.

My defense is really looking good now. Adding Colin White was a big step towards improvement. I've also gotten decent performance out of Goloubef. Methot has been a monster defensively. I've really got no weak links there. I really hope I'm not forced into trading Jack Johnson (or Umberger alternatively). I think Center is where my focus will be for a trade next season. Even though Brassard has an Average Rating of 8.02, I just don't like him as my 2nd line center. I think he might be holding back Zajac and Huselius. Then again, I might want to look at LW because Huselius is 34 years old. He's going to be slowing down. I might need to get younger there.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Wed May 23, 2012 11:56 pm

bruins72 wrote:I usually go BPA too but like you said, the over-abundance of RD is crazy. I've looked at a few of these guys to see which handed shot they are and for the most part I've been able to balance them out that way. Right now the only RD I have with a left-handed shot is John Moore. He's on the LD in PP situations though.

I might be forced into trading a player that I don't want to lose next season.Checking my players out. Several had the "Wanted" flag but Jack Johnson had the "Unhappy" flag. So I looked at his info and there is a line saying that Jack Johnson hopes Umberger learns from his mistakes. I didn't have any issues with Umberger. He didn't miss a practice, get suspended, or doing anything of note. He's played great hockey and nothing more. Johnson's info also lists Umberger as disliked staff now. What the Dickens? Umberger's info doesn't have any mention of Johnson. I guess the "dislike" isn't mutual. I'll have to keep an eye on this situation and see how it plays out.

My defense is really looking good now. Adding Colin White was a big step towards improvement. I've also gotten decent performance out of Goloubef. Methot has been a monster defensively. I've really got no weak links there. I really hope I'm not forced into trading Jack Johnson (or Umberger alternatively). I think Center is where my focus will be for a trade next season. Even though Brassard has an Average Rating of 8.02, I just don't like him as my 2nd line center. I think he might be holding back Zajac and Huselius. Then again, I might want to look at LW because Huselius is 34 years old. He's going to be slowing down. I might need to get younger there.
You might want to sort that Johnson/Umberger thing out B72: I'm thinking THUNDERDOME!!!!! "Two men enter- One man leaves" :-D

I had a similar improvement during the Dallas Challenge when I brought in Mike Komisarek. He was a monster (Like your addition of Colin White) and really tightened the blue line up.

I'm around the 50 game mark and although my lines have juggled a little bit, here's what they are:

Huselius-Letestu-Nash
Giroux-Umberger-Brassard
Prospal-Drazenovic-Bass
Dorsett-MacKenzie-Boll

Johnson-Wisniewski
Methot-Tyutin
Holden-Martinek-Lebda (they rotate when their morale is Low/Very Low)

Mason
Sanford

Believe it or not, I was running Umberger-Letestu-Nash for a while and they were all getting 9's and 10's, but my second line of Giroux-Brassard-Huselius was suffering. So I moved Umberger to that line and now it seems a little more balanced. My third line is a good night / bad night line. They go as Prospal goes, and he's either 9's or 6's. I match the fourth line when I'm at home with my opponent's first line and set D-Mac to check the opposing center. He's been excellent at keeping them off of the score sheet 5 on 5, but my PK still needs some help (I'm around 83%).

I've been running a pretty offensive scheme with my first two lines offensive, third offensive at home and normal on the road, and fourth is defensive. I usually use a High Forecheck with 1-2-2 Neutral Zone and positional defense. I play with breakouts and defensive zone coverage in between periods as needed. I've also played with a 3-2 Forecheck and 1-1-3 Neutral Zone, and a 3-2 Forecheck and 2-1-2 Neutral Zone but can't seem to figure either one of them out.

I also set all of my individual tactics but I leave out Mentality, Tempo, and Dump Ins, because I try to keep the same.

We'll see how the rest of the season goes. I'm hovering between 9th and 13th, and I can't seem to beat anyone in my division. :(

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Thu May 24, 2012 12:06 am

Bill: In my game Umberger went to the press saying he would welcome a move away from team, which understandably has been met with displeasure from his teammates (Methot, most notably). I guess that's what happened in your game as well, only you haven't noticed the press release. I suppose his Loyalty and/or Professionalism attributes must be really low, and that is not something I'd endorse on this team. So yes, Umberger is a prime candidate to be moved in the offseason, though I'd prefer to trade Huselius (whose playing days are slowly coming to a close)... I guess it depends on the return I get, but I don't want to risk further tensions in the locker room.

Tim: The Umberger – Letestu – Nash line has been my top line for the past two seasons and they have all been terrific, with Letestu getting 79 and 76 points respectively. They just seem to work great together. :-D

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 am

Well I haven't had any personnel issues like that with Umberger. For those who are curious here's what my line up looks like for season 3. I will add that the 2nd RW and 3rd RW I swap around quite a bit, otherwise it's pretty set.
Umberger Johansen Nash
Huselius Nugent-Hopkins Bass
Giroux Letestu Ryder
Boyce Mackenzie Boll

Moore J.Johnson
Enstrom Wisniewski
Methot Nikitin
A. Johnson

Mason Dekanich

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 am

So in my first season redo all 8 playoff teams from the West conference were decided by mid March, there was a 20 point seperation from 8th to 9th. The Jackets are doing well despite winning only 5 of their first 20 games, we had a 10-10 2nd quarter and dipped a little during the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter has been good as well, instead of being in a fight for between 13th to 15th we're in a fight for 9th to 12th

Círyatan
Leading Scorer

Post by Círyatan » Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 pm

The second season is over and I'm heading into post-season. We finished second in the Conference and got beaten in the second round by the Avalanche, but it was an even contest and it could go either way. I'm happy with the team's progress and hoping to do better next year.

Most often my lines were:

Umberger – Letestu – Nash
Clowe – Brassard – Huselius
Giroux – Johansen – Bass
Dorsett – MacKenzie – Boll

Tyutin – J. Johnson
Methot – Wisniewski
Moore – Martínek

Mason
Sanford

Dorsett and MacKenzie were terrible, just like last season, and for season 3 I'll probably be replacing them with Calvert (with Giroux dropped to the 4th line) and Drazenovic. I've had them filling up for injuries already this year and they did ok. I'll probably want to find a place for Kubalík as well, but the final lineup will be decided after the camp.

I'm happy with Clowe, who is another big body, put up 70 points in 74 games and won six of his seven fights. If I decide to trade Umberger, he'll definitely be able to take his place on the first line. My waiver pickup was Chris Thorburn from Dallas, whom I remember as a great contributor from the Thrashers Challenge. Unluckily, he got injured right away and hasn't played a game yet, but he's contracted for next season and will probably be an upgrade on Boll.

The Draft was disappointing and I'll be happy if any of my picks ever makes it as a regular in the NHL. Now let's see who we can get on the market.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm really surprised to see some of you guys using Letestu in a 1st line role and getting such good results from it. I just never thought of him being good enough to perform in that kind of role. He's been pretty good on my 3rd line though and he's actually started putting up some points. Maybe he wouldn't be bad in a 2nd line spot for me?

Timmy, did you guys both send Johansen back to minor? He's got to be tearing it up down there! I'll be curious to see what his development looks like compared to mine. He's been incredible in the NHL for me. I'd put in among the top 2 or 3 on the team in performance. He's also floating around the top ten in scoring in the NHL in season 2 for me.

So now that I'm about half way through the season, I'm looking at some of the guys that I drafted, just to check in on their development.

Rd1 6th Henrik Samuelsson C/RW 6'2" 198 lbs USA/SWE
Ulf's kid is doing pretty well. In 40 games so far for the Edmonton Oil Kings, he's got 16 G, 54 A, +15, 56 PIM, and an average rating of 8.55. 49 of his points have come on the PP and he even has a SHG. He's got 93 hits and 29 shots blocked. He's taking faceoffs at 61% and he's logging 21:04 ATOI. He was chosen to team USA for the U20 World Junior Championships. I can't seem to find the stats from that but his team took 3rd place. He's was their 2nd line center and he played 1st PP and 1st PK. He's only had a couple minor injuries, missing about 2 weeks worth of play. Physically, he's ready for NHL play. He's just got to work on his technical attributes. I think we'll have to take our time with him. We'll let him play in the WHL until he is 20 and then re-evaluate him from there. My scouts say he's a Power Forward with 1st line potential and compare him to a more talented version of Getzlaf.

Rd2 33rd Colin Smith C 5'10" 180 lbs CAN
I don't remember being too excited about this pick at draft time. I thought he was the BPA but I wasn't excited. He's really caught my attention as the year has progressed though. In 36 games with Kamloomps so far this season he has 28G, 35A, +26, 37 PIM, and an average rating of 8.75! 29 of his points have come on the PP and he's also got 5 points shorthanded. While he's not a real physical player, he's still got 41 hits and 31 shots blocked. He's 1st line everything for Kamloomps. He did have 1 game misconduct for which he was suspended 2 games. He's had 2 hip flexor strains this season, missing first 3 weeks and 2 more weeks shortly after that. I'm guessing that he tried coming back from it too soon. Still, I'll want to keep an eye on that. This kid is an okay skater right now but has great stamina (18). He's got the mind for offense (15 Anticipation and 14 Creativity) and the skills to back it up (17 in Passing; 16 in Deking, Getting Open, and Stickhandling; 15 in Wristshot and Faceoffs). If he can improve his skating, he'll be an offensive star in this league. My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 1st line potential. They compare him to Marc Savard.

Rd 2 36th Travis Brown LD 6'2" 178lbs CAN
When I was drafting I didn't realize that this was my third straight pick from the WHL. Brown's team, the Moose Jaw Warriors, are struggling this season. Right now they're 16th (out of 21) in the WHL. Brown is one of their key guys. I'd say he's their #2 defenseman. He's on their 2nd pairing at even strength and he's on their 2nd PP unit. Strangely, he's not on their PK. When I drafted him, my scouts said he was a defensive defenseman and compared him to a smaller but better Adam McQuaid and thought that he was a 5-6 defenseman. Right now, Brown still has nice physical attributes (all yellow) and great mental attributes (18 Determinations; 16 in Aggression and Teamwork; all the rest are yellow except Anticipation and Flair). He's definitely looking like he's got the makings of a defensive defenseman. His technical attributes aren't much to speak of right now. His standout among them is his hitting (14). In 44 games he's got 3G, 10A, -26, 96 PIM, and an average rating of 6.41. Of course, this is on a bad team, so I don't blame all of this on him. Most of his points are on the PP (3G and 5A). He's got 42 hits and 65 shots blocked. He's logging 22:46 ATOI. I wonder if he's being misused. His stats could be the results of the tactics he's given by his coach. Strangely, my scouts have also changed their tune on him. They now say he's a skilled defenseman with 3-4 potential and compare him to a more talented version of Klesla. I'll have to keep an eye on him. Hopefully he'll get traded to a better team.

Rd3 66th Aidan Kelly RW 6'2" 207 lbs CAN
And here is my first pick out of the Q. I remember not seeing much on the board when it came around to this pick, so I took Kelly based on the recommendation of my staff there at the draft with me. He's got nice size and strength and he's determined but overall he didn't look like much to me. He still doesn't look like much to me based on his attributes. He's performing okay though. He's got 19G, 31A, +0, 20 PIM and an average rating of 7.55 in 38 games so far for Saint John. 29 of his points have come on the PP and 4 have come shorthanded. He's got 69 hits and 38 shots blocked. He's logging 20:47 ATOI. He's a key player on his team, playing 1st line RW, and also 1st PP and PK.They're 15th out of 18 teams in the QMJHL. My scouts say he's an Offensive Forward with 4th line potention and compare him to a more talented version of Erik Condra. I'm guessing he'll be an AHLer for us at best.

I'm not going to go into the rest of my picks' status because there really isn't much to report.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Thu May 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Letetsu has been a solid 3rd liner with me, with 'relief' work on the 2nd line. He gets PP and PK time for me, so his number are pretty solid. He's only been 1st lin C one game as both Johansen and MacKenzie were out for a couple of days.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Fri May 25, 2012 4:27 pm

So far Season 3 is going along fairly well as long as I can keep my goaltender healthy. I've just had a couple unlucky injuries to Mason in game. When I was going through looking for regens I came across one that really stuck out to me. His name is Rock Eagles. That alone makes him awesome, but in addition to that he's got some good stats and my scouts are pretty high on him. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/ ... Eagles.jpg That's his stats page. Here is his scouting page http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/ ... agles2.jpg. I'm not sure who it is, as none of the RD in the NHL HoF retired this year and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to retirements this year. This is his first year in the game though as he doesn't have any history before this. Anyways, hope I manage to nab this guy as he looks like he will be a beast.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 pm

@bruins72-- Yes, I kept Johansen (and Moore) on the AHL team this year. They are both doing very well, and I'm pretty sure I'll bring up Johansen in the second season, and maybe Moore too. Moore depends on if I can add any defensemen in the off season. I really want three right-handers and three left-handers (and he's another left-handed RD). It's killing me that besides Martinek who started the season injured, there were 6/7 lefties and one rightie.

@Ciryatan-- I see that now! Man I should have just looked at your first season instead of messing around with line combos for 20-25 games! ](*,)

I'm still having a little trouble with every team in the division, and since we play them a million times if I don't figure out how to use my players against them I won't be in the post-season this year. :-k

Círyatan
Leading Scorer

Post by Círyatan » Fri May 25, 2012 6:53 pm

I've done a lot of messing around myself both Season 1 & 2. That's what I find exciting about this Challenge: no obvious choices and a multitude of combinations possible to try with this team.

Letestu in my game is obviously a product of Rick's prolificness and Umberger throwing his big body around. So far Letestu has earned a new contract, but with Johansen progressing I'll have to think of something new for Season 3.

How are the Atkinsons, Calverts, and Kubalíks progressing in your games, guys? Calvert and Kubalík got runs with the top club in my second season, and they did alright, but I think their development has stalled a bit. Atkinson I find difficult to trust, mainly due to his size. I hope I get at least one legitimate second-liner out of them.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Círyatan wrote:I've done a lot of messing around myself both Season 1 & 2. That's what I find exciting about this Challenge: no obvious choices and a multitude of combinations possible to try with this team.
I agree. There really are a lot of different ways to go with this team. I also like that even though we've used them in a challenge before, this team is quite different than the one we used before.
Círyatan wrote:Letestu in my game is obviously a product of Rick's prolificness and Umberger throwing his big body around. So far Letestu has earned a new contract, but with Johansen progressing I'll have to think of something new for Season 3.
So Umberger was at it again for me. This time I saw the news item where he said he'd like to play for another team (the Ducks). What a tool! So now he's disliked by Brassard and Bass in addition to Johnson. I really hope he doesn't bring down my team. It's a shame. I like the way he's played for me but it looks like I'll be trading him in the off-season.
Círyatan wrote:How are the Atkinsons, Calverts, and Kubalíks progressing in your games, guys? Calvert and Kubalík got runs with the top club in my second season, and they did alright, but I think their development has stalled a bit. Atkinson I find difficult to trust, mainly due to his size. I hope I get at least one legitimate second-liner out of them.
I'm in season 2 and out of those guys, Calvert is the only one on my NHL roster. He's playing LW on the top line with Johansen and Nash. He's been dropped to the 2nd and 3rd lines for small stretches when I've needed to mix things up. He's got 43 points in 55 games with a 7.27 average rating so far. I may have brought him up too early but I thought he brought balance to my lines. I think he'll be alright.

Atkinson played the first 3 games of season 1 with the Blue Jackets. He even had 4 points in those 3 games. For some reason, I just wasn't too hot on him though. Maybe it was his size (he's tiny)? I brought up Bass instead because of his defense and physicality. He had about a point a game throughout the rest of the season down in the AHL and an average rating of 7.16 down there. That didn't inspire much confidence. I traded to get Zajac for my 2nd line RW spot, so Atkinson has stayed down there. In 43 games in the AHL this season he's got 34 points and a 6.86 average rating. Bleh!

Kubalik played a good portion of season 1 with the Blue Jackets but failed to impress. He had 25 points in 64 games and 6.89 average rating. He's been in the AHL all of this season so far. He's doing well down there. He's got 56 points in 44 games so far with an 8.07 average rating. Maybe he'll get a shot next season? I don't know. he's strong but he's not physical, so I don't really know if he'd fit on my 3rd or 4th line. Mayorov is a very similar case to Kubalik.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Sat May 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Ive fallen a bit behind here, just getting to the preseason of season 2.In response to questions about some of the guys,
Umberger also said twice in season 1, he’d like to play for Detroit but he did resign with us for 2 more years and I havent had any other issues yet
Brassard(24g,49a,+15,7.62 rat)and R Johansen(13g 42a,-14, 7.44rat) had good 1st seasons as #1 and 2 centers, they’ll get to stay there for season 2
Calvert, I had him up for a few games in season 1 due to injuries but he was terrible,so went back to the AHL, then went out for 3 months injured, but came back and had a decent playoff series with Springfield
Mayorov played 73game ( 10g,16a -10, 6.97 rat) looked ok he’ll stick up for season 2 to start.

In the draft I went with Morgan Reilly(LD) as my first pick #15 overall , Dylan Willick(Rw ) Dalton Thrower(Rd/Ld) , Dalton Siwak(Rw) and Jesse Forsberg(Ld/Rd) A bit heavy on Dmen but no one else was really impressing me.
I had trouble with free agency I wasnt allowed to spend more the 720,00, decided to go with.......Aaron Asham, Ive never used him in a game before,should be great on the PK as well as doing 3rd line and possibly some second line duties. He now has me listed as Favourite staff .
I decided not to renew Martinks contract, he only played 24 games in season 1 and have Nikitin coming up for season 2. He filed for arbitration and was awarded 1.7 million, I just let him go “Surprising” the Board of Directors
Im going to give Letestu and Mackenzie more time as my 3&4 centers based on hearing theyve done well for others but if they dont get it together will be trading for a good centerman.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:14 am

And I've just wrapped up season 2. We won the Cup! We faced the Blackhawks in the first round and they honestly had me worried. We had success against them during the regular season but they really kicked it up a notch in the playoffs. They took us to game 6. Next up were the Kings, who were the President's trophy winners. We took that series in 5 games, shutting them out twice. And in the conference finals we faced the Flames. We took them down in 5 games as well. And in the Stanley Cup Finals we met the Montreal Canadiens, who had beaten my Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Finals, sparing me from facing them. We finally beat them in 6 games, shutting them out twice. So we've won the Stanley Cup! Now we've got to figure out what we're going to do with this team in the off-season. I've got some choices to make.

But first we've got the season's awards...

Much to my surprise, Cody Goloubef quietly worked his way to winning the Calder trophy. He had a nice season, never really seeming outstanding but never seeming out of place. He played in all 82 games for us this season, putting up 39 points and 34 PIM but also registering a -5. He stepped up his production in the post-season though. He had 14 points and a +7 in 22 games. My scouts only saw him turning out as a 5-6 depth defenseman. I wonder what they'll say next season when I scout them again.

My next award winner was Rick Nash, who took home the Conn Smythe. Nash was a beast in the playoffs. He scored like a maniac in the regular season, scoring 72 goals in 82 games. In the playoffs he had 22 goals in 22 games and 38 points with a +30. Johanson (35 points) and Zajac (35 points) were the runners-up. Nash even thanked me.

My coach Per Backman won the Adams. He took over after I canned Richards. He had been my AGM in season 1 and I was able to fire Richards and hire him after the first season. I had actually tried to sign Czerkawski as my head coach (he was an assistant in season 1) but my board wouldn't allow me to offer him as much as he wanted and he didn't budge on his asking price. So he's staying as an assistant.

Jack Johnson came in third in Norris voting. Mike Green won it (he plays D? :roll: ) and Timonen came in second.

Kopitar won the Hart but Nash came in second in the voting.

Huselius won the Lady Byng. I'm not proud of that one. I'm not a fan of that award.

Nash won the Rocket Richard! He had 72 goals. Semin had 68 and Ovechkin had 60.

Mason came in third in Vezina voting. Price won the trophy and Brodeur came in second.

Nash and Jack Johnson were named the the NHL First All-Star Team. Goloubef was named to the all rookie team. I'm kind of surprised that Calvert wasn't included.

It's late. I'll get back to it later with draft results and screen shots.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Mon May 28, 2012 11:36 pm

So season 1 is in the books. We ended up 11th in the West with 73 points, 2 points back of 9th/10th. There was an obvious divide in the west this year and the playoff race was over early. There was a 21 point spread between 8th and 9th.

My top line of Huselius/Johansen/Nash was dominant. Nash and Huselius both topped 100 points, Johansen would have but he was injured for about 2 weeks, so he only hit 80 points.

Dekanich was useless so he was not resigned.

Springfield and Chicago both got bounced in the second round of the playoffs. Springfield by Bridgeport and Chicago by Utah.

I loaded up on D-Men in the draft as they were the best available when drafting.

Round 1 8th overall - Griffin Reinhart (LD/RD) Edmonton Oil Kings (Ranked 7th) - Bigger better version of Alex Edler
Round 2 38th overall - Cody Corbett (LD) Edmonton Oil Kings - (Ranked 30th) - A poor man's Peter Harrold
Round 2 41st overall - Slater Koekkoek (LD/RD) Peterbourgh Petes - (Ranked 35th) - Like Fedor Tyutin
Round 3 68th overall - Gemel Smith (C) Owen Sound Attack - (Ranked 43rd) - A poor man's David Kercji
Round 4 91st overall - Ben Duffy (C/RW) PEI Rocket - Not ranked - A poor man's Jesse Winchester, with a smaller frame.
Round 4 116th overall - Branden Troock (RW) - (Ranked 126th) - A poor man's David Clarkson, with a bigger frame.
Round 7 188th overall - Ludvig Bystrom (LD) - Not ranked - A poor man's Jakub Kindl, with a slower stride.

eternium85
Drafted

Post by eternium85 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I've finished season 1 and although it seemed I was battling for a playoff spot well over half of the season, the last quarter was just abysmal. We ended up being 11th in the conference. Our teams play started to break down somewhere between 50 and 60 games played. I know a big reason for it was that I didn't bother to do any bigger chances to the roster or the tactics. Oh well, maybe next season I'll be a little more precise when it comes to tactics and stuff.

The big names of our crew in season 1 were Nash (78gp-73g-55a-128p, +29, 8.92 AvR), Johansen (76gp-26g-74a-100p, +26, 8.32 AvR), Umberger (82gp-41g-45a-86p, +26, 8.41 AvR), Huselius (82gp-34g-48a-82p, +12, 7.67 AvR), Johnson and Wisniewski. Mason was also good, not amazing but good. I'm pleased with our defensemen in a whole, just the tactics need to be worked on so that we're able to keep the goals against in a decent numbers. Mayorov was also a nice suprise and he earned a spot in the team in season 2.

I had the 10th pick in the draft. And my choices were:

1st Round 10th pick Derrick Pouliot LD/RD
Pouliot is a skilled defenseman, No. 1-2 potential, like Jack Johnson with slower stride. He has good all around stats, good defensively, good slapshot and good mental attributes. I had to make a choice between Pouliot and Morgan Rielly and although my scouts and staff suggested Rielly, I went with Pouliot. They were similar players with Rielly being a little bigger and stronger but I liked Pouliot overall stats better.

2nd Round 33th Andreas Athanasiou LW/C
Athanasiou is a skilled forward, first line potential, a smaller, but better version of Andrew Ladd. He has good speed, stickhandling and he plays agressive. I didn't want to draft all defensemen in this draft and my scouts liked this guy so why not. His strenght and positioning aren't so good but I'm confident that he can improve on those.

2nd Round 40th Michael Matheson LD
Matheson is a two-way defenseman, no. 1-2 potential, like Ryan Suter. He has decent stats all around with good determination. He was BPA so I took him.

3rd Round 70th Taylor Fielding RD
Fielding is a mobile defenseman, no. 3-4 potential, like Adam McQuaid. He has weaknesses in his technical attributes but has good physical and really strong mental attributes.

4th Round 99th Antoine Corbin RD
Corbin is a skilled defenseman, no. 3-4 potential, like Randy Jones. He was not ranked and already 20 years old but he had decent stats and there really were any better players available.

4th Round 108th J.C. Lipon RW/C
Lipon is a defensive forward, third line potential, a poor man's Chris Thorburn, with smaller frame and slower stride.

7th Round 190th Chris Bradley LD
Bradley is a skilled defenseman, no. 5-6 potential, like Toni Lydman with a slower stride.

I've also made my season 2 trade. Sharks wanted to get rid of Handzus and wanted a veteran in exchange so I offered Prospal and they accepted. I think he'll fit good in my 3rd line and for PK.
There really isn't anyone in free agency that I want in my team (well there was Abdelkader but he signed with Red Wings with a lot less money what I was offering) so I guess I'll try my luck with the waiver.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 pm

My second draft...

Rd1 30th Samuel Morin LD 6'4" 178 lbs CAN - Skilled defenseman, 5-6 potential, like Kurt Sauer (looks better than that though)
Rd2 60th Kurt Etchegary LW 5'10" 165 lbs CAN - Skilled offensive forward, 2nd line potential, like a smaller but better Dustin Jeffery
Rd3 90th Simon Desbiens LW 5'11" 174 lbs CAN - Skilled forward, 3rd line potential, poor man's Travis Moen with a smaller frame and slower stride
Rd4 120th Logan McVeigh C 6'1" 200 lbs CAN - Two-way forward, 3rd line potential, poor man's Michal Handzus with a smaller frame
Rd5 127th Jake Bischoff LD 6'0" 187 lbs USA - Skilled defenseman, 5-6 potential, like Kevin Dallman
Rd5 150th Simon Desmarais LD 6'1" 198 lbs CAN - Stay-at-home defenseman, 5-6 potential, poor man's John Erskine with a smaller frame
Rd6 180th Caleb Soucy RD 6'0" 205 lbs CAN - Skilled defenseman, limited potential, like Clay Wilson
Rd7 210th Calle Andersson RD 6'3" 213 lbs SWE - Defensive defenseman, 5-6 potential, poor man's Brian Pothier with a bigger frame

For the most part it was a very "blah" draft. I would be surprised if any of them made my NHL roster, even in a few years.

I did make my trade though. I had to get rid of Umberger because he's got 3 guys on my team that dislike him and that's just not good for team chemistry. So I shipped him off to the Rangers for Andrew Ladd (they had acquired him in Feb of 2012 for Ryan Callahan). Umberger had strength, speed, and physical play. He could play both defensively and offensively. I think Ladd can match that, if not better it. He also adds some great leadership. He'll be a great fit on my team. I've just got to decide if I want to put him on my top line with Johanson and Nash, creating a real powerhouse line, or if I want to put him on the second line with Brassard and Zajac. We'll try both ways out and see what we get.

I haven't really found any UFAs that caught my interest. Okay, let me clarify that. I haven't found any UFAs that I'm able to sign under the challenge rules. Tyler Seguin was a UFA (What the Dickens were the Bruins thinking?) but he's not 24 years old yet. And then there was Milan Lucic but he was asking for more than the $2M I'm allowed to offer. Oh and Crosby signed with the Senators. There were some other big names moving around too. I was looking for maybe a center and a right wing for cheap money to play on the 4th line. There weren't any guys with the appropriate attributes to play there though. So I guess I'll be keeping an eye on the waiver wire.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Well done with year 2 Bruins. How did Bass make out with his fighting ?
Im just at game 20 of season 2. We struggled a bit off the start. Not so good defensively and Mason not playing up to last years form. His GAA through 20 games is 3.11 with a .89 SV %. Still we are in 3rd place with 27 pts.
Asham has been a good signing 4 goals ( 2 shorthanded ) and 2 A, even, 7.2 Rating . He’s played up and down the lineup from 2nd to 4th line and is great on the PK.
Right now my lines are
Huselius-Brassard-Nash
Umberger-Johansen-Mayorov
Prospal-Letestu-Bass
Giroux-Mackenzie-Asham
Boll

Tyutin-J.Johnson
Methot-Moore
Nikitin-Wizniewski
A.Johnson

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Season 1 is done and dusted, but it wasn't a season to remember by any means, thanks to a poor run in the middle of the season. 10th in the West with 83 points, while 91 would've been enough for playoffs. Sabres ended up winning the cup against Kings.

This was my usual line-up:

Umberger-Johansen-Nash
Prospal-Letestu-Huselius
Giroux-Brassard-Bass
Byers-MacKenzie-Boll

Tyutin-Johnson
Methot-Wisniewski
Moore-Martinek
Lebda

Mason
Sanford

Johansen was solid in 1st line, while Letestu managed to grab a spot in 2nd line ahead of Brassard, although they both had a pretty similar season points wise. I think every line worked pretty well except the 4th, which I thought would be a decent shutdown line. That wasn't the case though and now I have to think what to do about it. Getting better players would be the obvious one of course, but maybe there's something I could tweak in tactics as well. Especially MacKenzie was really poor, dunno why. I'm also looking into trading Prospal away, but if that doesn't work out I'll just let him go after season 2.

Defense pairings weren't anything spectacular, but they weren't horrible either. I might need a better player to replace Tyutin in 1st pairing, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the players I have. Well, maybe Martinek would be better off elsewhere as well, as he's a bit injury prone.

Mason was pretty solid all season long, while Sanford had a few stinkers when given the chance. Wouldn't mind acquiring a better number two, but for now I'll go with these two.

Oh yeah, there was a draft as well:

Rd1 11th: Ryan Olsen C (CAN) - Skilled forward, 1st line potential. Like Ryan Getzlaf.
I had a hard time choosing between Olsen and two defenders. In the end I decided to go with BPA and so I picked this guy. He's already better than Boone Jenner.

Rd2 33th: Richard Ullberg G (FIN) - Backup goaltender, butterfly style. A poor man's Joey MacDonald with a bigger frame.
I think he's going to be better than that, solid stats for an 18-year old and heaps better than any other CBJ goalie prospect.

Rd2 41th: Branden Trock RW (CAN) - Two-way forward, 2nd line potential. Like Shane Doan.
Solid stats all around and the best RW I could find with this pick. Could be a good 3-4th liner in the future.

Rd3 79th: Ryan Rupert C (CAN) - Skilled offensive forward, 3rd line potential. Like Ville Leino.
He was ranked 34th, so I thought he might be a decent pick at this stage. Didn't see any interesting wingers or defenders, so went with BPA again.

Rd4 94th: Brady Skjel LD (USA) - Defensive defenseman, no. 5-6 potential. A poor man's Jakub Kindl.
Most likely a bad pick here, dunno what I was thinking. AHL is probably the future for him.

Rd4 112th: Scott Oke LW/C (CAN) - Offensive power forward, 1st line potential. A poor man's Alex Burrows with a bigger frame.
Certainly not 1st line potential IMO, but could make a good 3-4th liner in few years.

Rd7 191th: Hampus Lindholm LD (SWE) - Skilled defenseman, no. 5-6 potential. Like Jakub Kindl with slower stride.
Decent pick for a 7th rounder. I liked his determination and he looks like a well-rounded defenseman. Most likely a fringe player though.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm

outdooral wrote:Well done with year 2 Bruins. How did Bass make out with his fighting ?
He won 6 out of 9 fights. Not too shabby! He had less ice time and less points this season because he spent the entire season on the third line but he had a better average rating for the season. He played a very important defensive role with almost twice as many hits as the first season and almost 3 times as many shots blocked. I was very pleased with him in this role.
outdooral wrote: Right now my lines are
Huselius-Brassard-Nash
Umberger-Johansen-Mayorov
You should really consider switching Johansen and Brassard. Johansen is sooooo much better and definitely ready for 1st line duty.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Ippo wrote: Rd1 11th: Ryan Olsen C (CAN) - Skilled forward, 1st line potential. Like Ryan Getzlaf.
I had a hard time choosing between Olsen and two defenders. In the end I decided to go with BPA and so I picked this guy. He's already better than Boone Jenner.
That's one of those cases of random potential really varying between different people's games. In my game Olsen was not very good. He wasn't drafted until Chicago took him in the 5th round. He's got low acceleration and agility (9 and 8) but the rest of his physical attributes are good. He's got nice aggression and bravery. For technical attributes he's 12's in hitting, getting open, and slapshot. All of the rest of his technical attributes are orange or red. My scouts say he's a power forward with 3rd line potential and say he's like Ryan Stoa.

You mention Boone Jenner and he's another guy that we must have had different random potentials on. In my game Jenner has 3 orange attributes (flair, passing, and pokecheck) and no red one. Everything else is yellow, except he's got 2 in green (17's in influence and teamwork). My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 1st line potential and compare him to Olli Jokinen or Artem Anisimov (depending on the scout).

Ippo
Prospect

Post by Ippo » Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm

bruins72 wrote:That's one of those cases of random potential really varying between different people's games. In my game Olsen was not very good. He wasn't drafted until Chicago took him in the 5th round. He's got low acceleration and agility (9 and 8) but the rest of his physical attributes are good. He's got nice aggression and bravery. For technical attributes he's 12's in hitting, getting open, and slapshot. All of the rest of his technical attributes are orange or red. My scouts say he's a power forward with 3rd line potential and say he's like Ryan Stoa.

You mention Boone Jenner and he's another guy that we must have had different random potentials on. In my game Jenner has 3 orange attributes (flair, passing, and pokecheck) and no red one. Everything else is yellow, except he's got 2 in green (17's in influence and teamwork). My scouts say he's a skilled forward with 1st line potential and compare him to Olli Jokinen or Artem Anisimov (depending on the scout).
So it seems. Olsen has only two orange attributes and the rest are yellow, except acceleration and speed which are green. He was the best player in training camp, which finished just a while ago.

Jenner has no red ones, only one green for teamwork and 9 orange ones, while the rest are yellow. My two best scouts (JPA 18, JPP 19 for both) says that he has 1st line potential as well, other comparing him to Olli Jokinen too and the other to poor man's Maxim Lapierre.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Tue May 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I've finished the first season as well and uploaded my stats and screenshots. My team fell apart the second half of the season, but it's mostly my fault. I was playing around with my lines too much and decided that even though my system wasn't broken I needed to fix it. As a result my PP dropped 4 1/2 % and my PK dropped almost 9% in the 3rd quarter. I was able to salvage a little PP and my PK went back to 85%, but the damage was done.
(I also think that I lost a little motivation in the second half and was trying to coach my games as quickly as possible to get to the end of the season. :doh: )

I picked 5th in the draft and pretty much went with what was suggested by the scouts/coaches with the highest judging potential. I did apply some attribute filters so they wouldn't suggest the guy with a 1 in determination or work rate. I'm usually pretty thorough with scouting every draft and even make my own rankings list for the draft but I kind of slacked on this aspect of the challenge too. One thing that I am pretty serious about though is the player's mental characteristics. I had a bad Brandon Francisco in our Sarnia Challenge. He was so bad that one of his characteristics was "Spineless." So, I don't like to draft the guy with "Poor Self Confidence," "Fickle," and any of the negative ones like that.

1st rnd (5th overall) - Alex Galchenyuk C/LW, Sarnia Sting - 200 lbs at 18 yrs old! Even though I don't like that his bravery is only a 6, he was the best player available at #5. Projected as a 1st line player by the nine scouts that looked at him throughout the season. Mental Characteristics - Ordinary (better than any of those negative ones!)

2nd rnd (34th overall) - Dalton Thrower RD/LD, Saskatoon Blades - The eight scouts who looked at him all believe that he'll be a 3-4 defenseman. A few of them think he'll be a "Smaller, but better, version of Clayton Stoner." Mental Characteristics: Ambitious, Realist, Strong Character, Aggressive (excellent!)

2rd rnd (36th overall) - Brady Skjei LD, Minnesota Golden Gophers - Another 200 lb 18 year old! Four scouts rated him as a 1-2 defenseman, two rated him as a 3-4, and one rated him as a 5-6. His potential seems to be a little all over the place and I'm hoping he's a good pick . Mental Characteristics: Determined (17!)

3rd rnd (64th overall) - Jordan Schmaltz RD, North Dakota Fighting Sioux - He's a two way defenseman with good anticipation (13), creativity (13), and passing (13). Seven of the eight scouts who looked at him think he'll be a 3-4 defenseman, the last thinks he'll end up a 5-6. Mental Characteristics: Casual, Ambitious, Realist (I don't like casual too much but I can work with it)

4th rnd (98th overall) - Todd Fiddler - LW, Spokane Chiefs - Another big player (198 lbs) with a 14 getting open and a 14 wristshot. Two scouts think he can become a 2nd liner but the other six think he's destined for the 3rd line. Mental Characteristics: Ordinary

4th rnd (112th overall) - Gemel Smith - C, Owen Sound Attack - Although he's a lot smaller than I like (165 lbs), all of my scouts see him as eventually making it to the 2nd line. I may end up trading him after a few years in the AHL, but he's way down my depth chart. Mental Characteristics: Ambitious, Determined.

7th rnd (184th overall) - Roman Berdnikov - RW/LW, No Team - He's a total shot in the dark, but as an over-ager (20) I could draft and sign him right away. Mental Characteristics: Realist, Determined

In the offseason I traded Derick Brassard to the Coyotes for Martin Hanzal. Brassard was just too small to play my style of game so I brought in the big Czech center: 6'5" 218 lbs and a 19 in strength. I went tier 2 and signed two players for $525k each: Greg Moore and Ryan Hollweg. Both are over 210 lbs and have ultra-high workrate, teamwork, determination, and bravery. I haven't made it to training camp yet, so I'm not sure what my lines will look like for season two.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am

In my second season I got a injury galore at 50 games played.

First out was Mason with a broken leg (thigh), he's out for 5 months so he will miss the reminder of the season.
In the next few games five other players got injured and in game 54 I had 6 players on injury reserve. :rant:

Now all the players, except Mason of course, are back in the team.

Return to “Challenge Forum”