Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Ippo
Prospect

Re: Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by Ippo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Season 2 wasn't anything like I expected or hoped to be. Only 80 points and 11th position just like last season, so I'm definitely having some problems with my tactics. Both the PP (13.2%) and PK (79.8%) were abysmal once again, just can't seem to get them going no matter what I try.

I used my trade to acquire Eminger for Nikitin, who wasn't performing for me at all. Eminger performed really well, so no complaints about that trade. I didn't manage to sign any UFA during the summer, so I waited for someone interesting enough to pick up from waivers, LaBarbera became available in December, so I snatched him immediately and he didn't disappoint, much better than Sanford whom I sent down to Springfield.

This was my usual line-up:

Umberger-Johansen-Nash
Mayorov-Brassard-Huselius (Kubalik)
Giroux-Letestu-Bass
Gabriel-MacKenzie-Dorsett

Moore-Johnson
Methot-Wisniewski
Tyutin-Eminger

Mason
LaBarbera

1st line was solid once again, although nobody couldn't break the 100 pts barrier. Umberger had the best +/- record with +49 and highest AvR of 8.57, plus he won the Plus-Minus award as well. Nash was the top scorer with 45 goals and Johansen had 63 assists and 93 points.

2nd line had some changes during the season, when Mayorov replaced Prospal and Kubalik got his chance, when Huselius started to slow down badly. Kubalik was great when given the chance, so he'll probably continue here in next season as well, but Mayorov wasn't as good, so we'll see if I can get someone better to replace him. Brassard was ok, but nothing more.

3rd line was set up to be more defensive than last season, but that was probably a mistake as only Bass is a decent two-way player, while others struggled at their own end.

4th line was much better defensively compared to last season and both Gabriel and Dorsett were minor upgrades to Byers and Boll. Even MacKenzie played better, so that's a bonus.

In defense Jack Johnson was once again the best player and got a couple of awards as well, winning both Hart and Norris trophies in the process. Now he wants out and I'm being bombarded with trade offers, which sucks. Moore was solid with Johnson, Methot-Wisniewski decent as well. Tyutin was the weakest of the six.

Mason was pretty solid all season long and LaBarbera was mostly great, when given the chance. Now that I finally have a decent backup for Mason, he'll probably get more rest next season.

Notorious season 2 draft:

Rd1 10th: Guillaume Gauthier LW/C (CAN) - Skilled forward, 1st line potential. Like Ryan Malone with a smaller frame.
Solid stats all around, only one red (faceoffs) and looks like he could be a great two-way player.

Rd2 40th: Andrew Johnson C (CAN) - Two-way forward, 4th line potential. Like Brooks Laich.
I liked his determination (19) and he has good stats technically as well. Not a big player though.

Rd3 70th: Mike Brodzinski RD (USA) - Skilled offensive defenseman, no. 3-4 potential. Like Rostislav Klesla with a smaller frame.
Again, solid stats all around and probably BPA at the time. I was looking for an LD, but there wasn't much there, so I ended up to pick this guy instead. 127 points in 60 games, but it was high school level. Next season will tell more, as he's going to play in WCHA.

Rd4 100th: Bronson Beaton C (CAN) - Skilled forward, 4th line potential. A poor man's Steve Downie.
Fitting name for a guy with aggression of 20. Still, surprisingly solid stats all around and a possible bottom-6 player in few years.

Rd5 122th: Mitch Topping LD/RD (USA) - Skilled defenseman, no. 5-6 potential. Like Chris Campoli.
20-year old and his stats aren't anything special. Most likely AHL level at best.

Rd5 130th: Felix Liljegren RW/C (SWE) - Checking forward, 3rd line potential. Like Brad Staubitz.
Another 20-year old. Good size and strong as well, otherwise average all around. Not holding my breath for him to make it to the NHL.

Rd6 160th: Riku Härmä G (FIN) - Backup goaltender - Butterfly style. A more talented version of Andrew Perugni with a smaller frame.
Really small guy for a goalie (170cm, 69 kg), but he hails from my hometown and looked like the BPA at the moment.

Rd7 190th: Patrick Russel C/RW/LW (DEN) - Skilled forward, limited potential. A poor man's Jason Williams.
Bit of a blind pick here, saw a part of his stats which looked good and just went with it. Don't think he's going to make it even to AHL, but we'll see.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:05 pm

I figured you guys would appreciate this:

EHM not only accurately predicted the two teams in the Stanley Cup Final, but I know who will win! (and I'm not telling! :-p )

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Hah! That's pretty cool!

I'm already in the Season 3 offseason, I'll post the screenshots shortly.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 pm

I have finally found some time to play..

Rick Nash went down before the seasons started, but it didn't matter.. my team has gone 13-3-4 through the first 20 games. My tactics are near flawless at this point with my goal differential being +24 goals where it was barely +3 goals at this point last season. Ryan Johansen is a beast.. leads the team in goals and points playing first line minutes at C. Nash came back after 9 missed games and has 8 goals and 16 points in just 11 games. I am using a defense first system, but allow my skilled forwards to take the puck deep and make a play and it is working out great.

The only guy who is under-performing is Steve Ott, but so many guys are stepping up it hasn't seemed to matter. Jack Johnson had a small injury, but is an absolute monster playing almost 30 minutes per game and at a PPG pace. RJ Umberger with 19 points and Huselius with 21 points.. and Umberger is playing a defensive role..

My lines as of now..

Giroux-Johansen-Nash
Ott-Umberger-Bass
Prospal-Letetsu-Ortmeyer
Huselius-Brassard-Boll
Dorsett

Tyutin-Johnson
Methot-Wisniewski
Moore-Nikitin

with Huselius and Brassard playing PP minutes..

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:05 am

While, I'm really pleased with the acquisition of Ladd, I'm really missing what Umberger brought to the team. He was a physical and defensive element while also adding offense to my third line. I supposed Ladd could do that as well but I just don't feel right now having his on one of my top 2 lines. I had to trade Umberger though. There were 3 players on our team that disliked him. He's doing quite well with the Rangers though. He's got 18 points in 14 games so far.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:06 pm

This challenge still has almost a month to run but I'm really itching to dive into the new 4.2 database. Then again, I'd say that this challenge has been one of the more fun one's we've had (IMO) for a while now.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm in the same boat. I want to get to the 4.2 database and get that WHL facepack done, but I'm having fun with this challenge.

Hey after 20 games in season 2 we're doing very well! In 5th place. I made my trade for season sending Vaclav Prospal to Colorado for Ryan Wilson, who's been doing well for us. Kubalik is doing well in his first full year, winning the Otober Rookie of the month award.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

bruins72 wrote:While, I'm really pleased with the acquisition of Ladd, I'm really missing what Umberger brought to the team. He was a physical and defensive element while also adding offense to my third line. I supposed Ladd could do that as well but I just don't feel right now having his on one of my top 2 lines. I had to trade Umberger though. There were 3 players on our team that disliked him. He's doing quite well with the Rangers though. He's got 18 points in 14 games so far.
Ladd is still developing at this point in the game so he may get better as your game progresses.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 am

And there goes the season...Mason out for 4 months with a UCL tear. ](*,)

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 am

bruins72 wrote:This challenge still has almost a month to run but I'm really itching to dive into the new 4.2 database. Then again, I'd say that this challenge has been one of the more fun one's we've had (IMO) for a while now.
I"m with you! I really want to start an Avalanche game with all of their young talent they should be a pretty good team down the road. But I'll plug away at this season with the Blue Jackets. I've actually started winning and am putting up 5-6 goals per game. The problem is I give up 4-5. I just can't get Mason to make a save; he went on a stretch where his ratings were 5-5-7-6-7-4. I had it at the 4 and gave him a warning. (No effect whatsoever- my season three trade would be to get a real goalie)

Loosie wrote:And there goes the season...Mason out for 4 months with a UCL tear. ](*,)
Sorry Loosie :-(

(It would probably benefit my team if he was out for 4 months. He's stinking up the place! :rant: )

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 am

Loosing Mason is about as bad as it can get for this team. The only one I can see being anywhere near as bad a loss is Nash.

Calvert was really good for me in season 2 but he's really struggling in season 3. Part of this is my fault because he's being used in a lesser role. In the first season he was used on the first line with Johansen and Nash. Now I've got Ladd there. He's just too good not to put there. I tried Calvert on the second line with Brassard and Zajac but they just didn't click. So Calvert has been playing on the third line with Letestu and Bass. He's just not a great fit there. Maybe he'll be moved next season? I'll have to give him another shot on the second line because Huselius is getting old and will need to be replaced, so I'd like to be able to keep Calvert. We'll see how this plays out.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 am

Mason had another 4. He gave up four goals on 10 shots, all in the first period.

I feel like putting him on waivers just to get rid of him...

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 am

timmy_t wrote:Mason had another 4. He gave up four goals on 10 shots, all in the first period.

York, Dekanich and Sandford are even worse though..

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I wonder why Mason is giving you such poor performance. That's just strange. He's not the superstar he was in previous versions of the DB but he's still pretty good.

Loosie
Team Captain

Post by Loosie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm

bestrafer7 wrote:
timmy_t wrote:Mason had another 4. He gave up four goals on 10 shots, all in the first period.

York, Dekanich and Sandford are even worse though..
Dekanich was so bad for me in Season 1 that I didn't even bother resigning him, so right now I'm running with Sanford and McElhinney.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I was backing Mason up with Sanford for the first two seasons, and then brought up Dekanich for season three. They are no all-stars but altogether I have no complaints. I wonder why you've been having that big problems with Mason, Tim, he should be capable of posting pretty decent stats. :-k

Finally, we won the Cup in season three, defeating the Sabres in seven games. Before the season I traded the insubordinate Umberger to the Bruins for Bergeron, with the trade seemingly being good for both sides. Bergeron just was the piece I needed to push this team to the Cup. Later on I picked up Frazer McLean from the Devils as another step to build a hard-nosed bottom six. I have no clue why the Devils waived him, though, as at that point he had 41 points in 61 games (20G 21A). Oh the mysteries of the AI. The winning squad:

Huselius – Bergeron – Nash
Clowe – Johansen – Kubalík
Giroux – Brassard – Bass
McLaren – Letestu – Thorburn
Drazenovic/Boll

Tyutin – J. Johnson
Methot – Wisniewski
Moore – Martínek
A. Johnson

Mason
Dekanich

Now my problem is that the players that have their contracts expiring don't really seem to be willing to take any pay cuts... I think I'll be looking to shed some salary before next season. I'm thinking about trading Huselius, who still looks pretty capable, and has just had the best season of his career (36G 47A 83P, playing with Nash will do that to you), but is sure to begin slowing down sometime in the near future. Another likely candidate is Brassard, but I would like to give Jenner another year in the AHL before giving him a full-time roster spot.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Nice trade to land Bergeron! He's a player I'd love to have.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Loosie Im feeling your pain. Im at game 60 now of season 2 and lost Mason in game 39 for 4 months. so lets recap. season 1 Nash is out for the first half of the season, and season 2 Mason out for the second half, Talk abiut a challenge.
I didnt want to lose Dekanich on waivers so I called up Allan York to play with Sanford. York started ok but then fell apart. He was 4-4-1 with 3.81 Gaa and .882 Sv%. Sanford was worse. i dont like making trades to fill injury holes but felt I needed to , to save the season. ( we were in 3rd at the 40 game mark) I traded Cam Atkinson to Detriot for Ty Conklin. He struggled a bit at first but is finding his game now. 5-5 #.19 GAA, .904 Sv%. and a 8.10 rating.
I moved Johansen to the first line and he is doing well there, Thanks Bruins.
J.johnson and Tytuin are studs on defense with Methot and Moore right behind them. Nash is leading the league in scoring with 48 g 47 a and +34.....wow. considering we have lost some doozies,, 7-0 and 10-3 come to mind.
I might try to move Wizniewski and his huge contract next year. that was the plan for this season until I had to replace Mason. I got some interesting offers around the deadline for the “Wizzer", see if they are valid in the off season.
Now on to try to make the playoffs and hope for an early return of Mason

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Alright Season 3 is now in the books. The Blue Jackets taking their second cup in a row. Mason has taken his second Vezina in a row as well. The draft seemed to go fairly well this year Here's the breakdown
#30 Domonic Moracev -Ottawa 67s He's playing in the OHL but is a Euro who I'm pretty sure is a regen. He's a Cze LD. He has good stats and attributes and is projected to be a 1st pairing Dman.
#60 Aleksander Bogdanov- Sokol Kiev He's playing over in Europe like Moracev has only played two years which suggests regen. He's a RD/LD. Decent stats and attributes, and is projectd to be a 1st pairing Dman.
#90 Alexander Komendantov - OHK Dynamo Moscow First forward drafted by the BJs in this draft. He projects to be a 3rd liner, but had pretty good attributes. I'm not sold on his stats completely. Looked like the best from where he was being drafted. I had my eye on a few jems who hadn't even been sniffed at so I figured to stay on the board with this one.
#120 Pfemsyl Fisher Guy is a goaltender with great attributes, and stats. I'm bringing him over this year to see how he does down in the lower leagues. He comes from Czech Republic which makes me think it might be Hasek.
#150 Greger Spangmyr Ok guy is only projected as a 7th Dman but had amazing attributes and stats. In the team report he's projected as my 3rd best prospect behind Moracek and Kubalik.
#180 Tomas Oravec RW/C decent stats and attributes for any round let alone 6th. I'm betting he does better than 3rd line he's projected
#210 Antonin Hertl LD amazing stats has some promising attributes, but some really awful ones. I'd like to get him in the system as soon as I can and hopefully keep working him until he's ready for the big time. Hoping he turns into more than a 7th defenseman.

Ok heading into free agency I'm looking to get something to replace Huselius and Ryder. Huselius can still put together some good numbers putting up 76 points last year. Ryder is declining quick. He ended up 2nd PP and 4th line. I am saved immediately after the draft and going to waive him so I can release him. I don't want him in the AHL and I don't want to hold back any of my kids. I'll use my trade on Huselius hoping I can get the better value out of him.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 am

bruins72 wrote:I wonder why Mason is giving you such poor performance. That's just strange. He's not the superstar he was in previous versions of the DB but he's still pretty good.
Two things may be causing his low ratings.

#1 - My PK absolutely stinks. As I watch the games I notice that there's always one guy that ends up wide open and scores from either side of the goal. I can't seem to get my tight box to remain tight.
#2 - I'm not running any defensive lines right now. I'm really having fun scoring 6-7 goals, but when I give up 5 in the process Mason's rating goes in the toilet. I just came back and beat Toronto 9-8 in overtime. We each yanked our goalies when they gave up 4 or 5 and the other guy was just as badl

So, I'm going through my players and am going to reset my PK lines. I'll go through the thread too and see if I can sort that out. I also might try to run a 3rd line that's defensive, at least when I see that the opposing coach will match lines with me.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Well I got around to finishing my first season! We ended up 14th in the west. With the 5th Pick in the draft. Nash got hurt around game 35 and missed 6 games. When he came back his numbers dropped. He was about 1.2 ppg before, after he was lucky to get 0.6ppg. In the second half of the season it really looked like Johansen and Huselius were keeping him afloat. I was thinking about sending Johansen down to the AHL for the first season, but i'm happy I kept him.

Springfield did very well finishing 1st in there division and 2nd overall. In the playoffs they made it to the 3rd round. Moore won AHL player of the year, and Kubalik had a great year to. Even getting a 6 point game with 5 goals. (3PP-1Even-1SH)

This draft had me thinking alot more then most. When it got to my pick 5th overall I didn't know if i wanted Galchenyuk or Rielly... It was a real toss up.

5th pick - Alex Galchenyuk C/LW Sarnia sting. 6'1" 200lbs With both players being pretty well equal i went with the position I needed more. My scouts have him projected as a more talented version of Eric Stall.

31st pick- Colin Smith C Kamloops Blazers. 5'11" 178lbs. A little small, but has great hands, anticipation, teamwork and work rate. Projected as a Skilled forward 1st line, A poor man's Marc Savard.

35th pick- Myles Bell RD Kelowna Rockets 6' 202lbs He has a Consistency of 15, all of his Mental stats are 12 or higher. All Technical skills are 12 or higher save Def\Dek\FO. For phsyical stats his stamina and strength are good at 15-14. But the others are lower in the 9-10 range. Scouts list him as a Skilled defenseman 5-6 potentail. "A poor man's Shea weber, but with a smaller frame and slower stride"

65th pick- Nicholas Walters LD Everett Silvertips 6'2" 191lbs Great physical stats - 16\13\12\15\16\16 Determination and passing and slapshot are also hi at 16-15-15. The only real down side is his anticipation of 6. Scouts say he is a skilled defenseman with second pairing potential. A poor man's Joni Pitkanen.

92th pick- Brain Cooper LD Fargo 5'11" 185lbs good physical and mental stats. not bad technical stats (for this round) The main thing that got me to pick him was his stats in Fargo last year. 55gp 22-55-77 +34 7.82 AVR and 202 hits!

113th pick- Cole Hamblin LD\RD Spokane Chiefs 6'4" 244lbs! Hes a big boy already with 20 strength but! he has a speed of 17 as well. Stats are good for this round. Scouts say he is a Skilled defensemen with 5-6 potential. A poor man's Jeff Schultz. With speed and size like that he will make a great PKer at some point.

185th pick- Ludvig Bystrom LD Modo J20 6'1" 207 lbs. Great Determination 17 and other mental stats are good in the 12-14 range. Physical and technical are manly just ok. Scouts say hes a defensive defenseman with a no 7 potentail. A poor man's Joel Kwiatkowski. Lets see if he's determination to get better then that.

With me and Tyutin not seeing eye to eye, I started shopping him on July 1st, the leafs wanted him so i offered Tyutin for Lupul and they said yes the next day. Lupul should really give us that extra weapon to get us into the playoffs. UFA wise I signed Pahlsson to help my PK and lower two lines. With Tyutin gone, and Nikitin not willing to take anything under 1.5 mil a year, and my board not will to pay that. I need a 7th dmen for my last UFA. I made a few offers and no one would sign for 525k. Not wanting to let that 2nd UFA signing go to waste, I signed Adam Mair for some 4th line help.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm

MacPhal wrote: 31st pick- Colin Smith C Kamloops Blazers. 5'11" 178lbs. A little small, but has great hands, anticipation, teamwork and work rate. Projected as a Skilled forward 1st line, A poor man's Marc Savard.
I drafted this guy too. He's turning out pretty nicely so far. He had a great season in junior for season 2 and now in season 3 he's spent most of the season with my AHL affiliate. He came up for a few games when I had some injuries and he's done pretty well.

MacPhal
Prospect

Post by MacPhal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Just finished training camp, my lines will look like this to start the season.

Nash-Johansen-Lupul
Huselius-Brassard-Umberger
Giroux-Pahlsson-Bass
Prospal-MacKenzie-Dorsett
Mair-Byers

J.Johnson-Wisniewski
Moore-Goloubef
Methot-Nikitin
A.Johnson

Mason-Dekanich

About a week into Aug and I tried signing Nikitin again, he had smarten up and signed for 1m a season, and the board let it happen.

The young wingers (Kubalik,Mayorov,Calvert, Atkinson) did well in training camp but none of them would of made my top two lines so I sent them back to the AHL for the ice time.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:11 am

Halfway through the 2nd season and we're 28-10-2. Not quite dominating though because we're still winning games 6-5 and 7-6. It's a lot of fun for me right now. Plenty of 3rd period comebacks. =D>

My trade for Hanzal has really worked out well: 17-41-58, +41, and avg rating 9.07
Johansen is leading all rookie skaters: 17-38-55, +25, and avg rating 8.93
John Moore is in 3rd place for defensemen, three points down from #1: 12-20-32, +14, and avg rating 8.03

My lines usually look like this:

Umberger-Hanzal-Nash
Giroux-Johansen- G. Moore
Huselius-Letestu-Kubalik
Byers-MacKenzie-Bass
Hollweg-Prospal

Johnson-Methot
Tyutin-Nikitin
Methot-J. Moore

Mason-York

My PP is slowly getting better but my PK still stinks. :dunno:

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 am

I was in 3rd halfway through the season in a very tight Central Division race, but the team really hit a wall and we took a downward dive from then on. I completely overhauled my line-up and my tactics to fix the team's problem.. it worked. I dropped Dorsett to the AHL and I won't be resigning him with a less than 6 rating and only a 6 rating in the AHL. I brought up Matt Calvert and put him with my big boys Johansen and Nash for about 10 games before dropping him back down to the third line. He plays great on defense and is scoring at a PPG rate on the 2nd PP line. Giroux has been in and out of the line up for the injured Huselius and Johansen.

My team went on a run with 10 wins in the last 12 games to finish in 2nd place in the 2nd season. We play the Canucks in the first round and I am hoping for an easy out as they have a horrible PK and my PP is the best in the league. We have had the least amount of PP chances throughout the entire league, but yet we are 4th in the amount of goals scored. Steve Ott has turned his career around and Derrick Brassard is playing at the level he should.

Rick Nash is a monster as always.. scoring 48 goals in 70 games. Ryan Johansen had a better year and scored 28 g and 81 points. Brassard put up 67 points while playing on the third line for most of the year. Umberger had 79 points in 78 games on the 2nd line. Ott played 2nd line minutes putting up 21g and 55 pts..

Jack Johnson was amazing.. 8.47 rating.. In 77games 13g 49 pts and a +38 while playing 30 minutes a game. John Moore has established himself as a top four dman with 34 points and a +22 rating.

The only two players with a negative plus/minus were Tyutin and Nikitin at -10 and -6.. but both are on my PK and Tyutin is on the 2nd PP.

Return to “Challenge Forum”