Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm

bestrafer7 wrote:To the Admin:

My game save seems to have been corrupted and no matter what I do (system restore, repairing the file) nothing seems to make my save game for the challenge work.

I keep getting this error:

Is there anyway I could possibly start my challenge over?

Please and thank you!!!!
You don't have any previous saves from the last time you reported stats? How far along are you? I guess it's okay if you start over but we'll need to get Archi to delete whatever stats you've already recorded.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:52 pm

MacPhal wrote:Hey guys I'm currently in the training camp and I got a bug :P I did a open training camp (Forgot to turn it off :( ) And the goalie I got was Robert McVicar. The thing is he was signed by the Cardiff Devils before the end of training camp and I had him set to backup the next game. Now he is with the Devils and off my main roster, BUT I can only dress one goalie and when I go into the tactics screen R.McVicar is right there. I tried playing ahead to the point there the invites go home and he is still on the tactic list. Anyone know what I can remove him from that screen? I also cleared my starting 20 to see if I would still get "1 players dressed" and I get "0 players dressed" and he's still there in the tactics screen all by himself :( Maybe sign and release him? If I can get the ok to do that?
If you click on him from the tactics screen, is there an option to release him from the tryout? Honestly, I've never heard of anything like this. If you have to sign him and release him, go ahead. Still, I would think that you could just release him somehow already.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 pm

bruins72 wrote:
bestrafer7 wrote:To the Admin:

My game save seems to have been corrupted and no matter what I do (system restore, repairing the file) nothing seems to make my save game for the challenge work.

I keep getting this error:

Is there anyway I could possibly start my challenge over?

Please and thank you!!!!
You don't have any previous saves from the last time you reported stats? How far along are you? I guess it's okay if you start over but we'll need to get Archi to delete whatever stats you've already recorded.
I was at game 50.. and I had a save at 20, but it didn't work either..

I started a new game, whether or not I can compete works for me, but I will be discussing my new game in here.

and Thanks for any help.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Go ahead and start over. I'll ask Archi to remove your first two sets of stats.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm

bruins72 wrote:Go ahead and start over. I'll ask Archi to remove your first two sets of stats.
Thank you. 8-)

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Okay, after the first 20 games my team has been playing pretty well. I've tried to impliment a very aggressive, physical game teamed with an attacking offensive game. My team puts the puck on the net often (at least 40+ shots per game) and capitalizes on the few PP opportunities given.

My PP is the best in the league at 19.5% and my PK has gone from the best to one of the middle of the pack in recent games. My team does it's best work 5-5, pressing my opponent and causing many turnovers where we capitalize with goals.

Rick Nash is off to a great season, getting points in 10 straight games (14 goals in 20 games) and Cody Bass has been a pleasant surprise with 5 goals and 17 points through 20 games. Derrick Brassard went down for three weeks and Vinny Prospal came in adequately getting second line minutes and putting up 8 points in 7 games. Marc Methot is my #1 LD and in my top PK pairing and he is still a +14 with 7 points and a 7.65 rating.

My line through 20 games:
Huselius-Johansen-Nash
Prospal-Umberger-Bass
Dorsett-Brassard-Boll
Byers-Letestu-Giroux
Boyce

Methot-Johnson
Tyutin-Wisniewski
Moore-Nikitin
Lebda

I started off the year 1-5, but then I went on a streak of 8 wins and I put myself in 7th place and a record of 12-8.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season. I was looking forward to selecting top ten in the draft, but a playoff run will be a better trade off.. still time to rubbish the bed though. :-p

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Bestrafer7, I'm running a similar strategy. My first 2 lines play a very high tempo high puck pressure game where they carry it into the zone and try and force as many shots on net. My bottom 2 lines play high tempo high puck pressure, but I run a dump and chase with them as I don't want them trying to carry it in the zone. I'm not so worried about those two lines getting as many shots on net as I am with them keeping it in the offensive zone. So far it's worked. I'm in 2nd place in the west. Even I didn't see that coming. Looking at the players Columbus has I wouldn't even call this a playoff team. What has helped is the rest of the Central has been absolutely horrid. I don't see us making it out of the first round.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Great to have another Challenge, I'm in. :thup:

On the side note, where are the picks for Vermette and Påhlsson? (I'd prefer Vermette, to be honest). :-D

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Just finished my first season and I finished in 6th place in the Conference, after the 3rd quarter of the season I was battling for the division lead, but my players seemed to get more tired as the season went on, most notably Ryan Johansen. In the end of the season I also got a lot of injuries on players like Nash and Jack Johnson which wasn't good for our Conference quarterfinal against the Canucks. But we was able to get a seventh game which unfortunately lost, but I'm very happy to get to the playoffs already in season 1. Certainly didn't expect that.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Just starting this challenge as well.Going to be tough.
I lost Nash for 4 months in a preseason game.We won the first game of the season 2-1 against vancouver, but lost S Mason and Wiznieski for 3 weeks.
Lost the next 2 games 5-2. 8-2. 4-2. Sanford is terrible. Good thing there is a lot of time between games during the first month.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:39 am

After 40 games I've pushed myself into the division lead just barely over St. Louis who always seems to have my number. During Game 41, Methot, Huselius and Mason all went down for three weeks. Let's just say Sanford or Dekanich couldn't keep the puck out of the net.. giving up 5+ goals in all 6 games. At least my team leads the league in goals per game and my offense came out and got two of the games to OT after being down by 3+ goals in the third.

This team has some solid potential with the right gameplanning.. too bad the real Jackets couldn't figure this out.. :-p

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:40 am

thunderbug wrote:What has helped is the rest of the Central has been absolutely horrid.
In my game, St. Louis, Detroit and Chicago are all in the top 6 with Nashville being the only one to be out of the playoffs (14th)

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 am

At game 52, I've lost Mason again for three weeks.. here we go again. I have a 9 point lead over 9th place in the West, but I've since dropped from 3rd place to 8th. :doh:

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 am

A quick question, since I don't fully understand it from the rules page.

If you have a player on your current roster who is going to be a UFA on July 1st, can you re-sign him and if yes, when can you re-sign him.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team

Post by joehelmer » Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 am

As long as he is still on your team you can re-sign him whenever during the season.
But if he leaves on July 1st he will count against the UFA signing rule.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Sat May 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Managed to get out of Oct with a 5-4 record, but have lost 5 in a row in Nov. Mason is hurt again and J.johnson and Umberger are gone for 3 weeks.
Matt Calvert plays well in Springield but whwn I bring him up he struggles. Mayorov is now getting time with the team.Kubalik is also having a tough time when asked to play for us.
With this patchwork team Im having trouble getting any consistency with lineups and tactics.
I'll be suprised if i dont get fired this year.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 am

joehelmer wrote:As long as he is still on your team you can re-sign him whenever during the season.
But if he leaves on July 1st he will count against the UFA signing rule.
Cool, thank you.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Sun May 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Alright so I thought I'd give you guys an update on how the team is doing. In the first season we finished 2nd in the Western Conference, and drew the Canucks for our first round opponent. When I saw this I thought we might have a shot at picking up a win first round as we played them very well in the regular season. Game 1 ended 2-1 Blue Jackets in the 2nd OT. Mason playing very well in both games at home. The second game ended 4-3 in OT. Going to Vancouver the BJs were up 2-0. The third game was the first regulation win for the BJs in the playoffs again 4-3. In the fourth game Lou crapped the bed giving up 6 goals and sending the BJs to the 2nd round. In the 2nd round we drew the Sharks a team who pretty much had our number in the regular season, and so I was not hopeful at all. We ended up dropping that series 4-2. The Sharks go on to win the cup later on.

Next up was the draft. In the first round I picked Slater Koekkoek 27th overall. He has decent attributes and puts up good numbers. The scouts say he projects to be a 1st pairing defenseman. There were 2 picks available for the 2nd round the 1st was the 38th overall which I used to grab Malcolm Subban. Of all my picks he is the one I think who will do the best, if given time. The 57th pick I used on Tanner Eberle. The kid has solid attributes for the 2nd round and from what the scouts say won't turn out horrible. So far not really excited about anyone not in the 1st or 2nd round. The rest of the picks are as follows:
87- Carl-Antoine Delisle
107- J.C. Lipon
109- Stefan Stepanov
209- Mike Avlani

In getting ready for season 2 I ended up not signing any free agents. I decided I was going to roll with the kids I have for now. At this point I'm 20 games in and have not made a trade yet either. I've gotten a few offers for players, but the ones they want it will take an overpayment for me to consider moving them. My lines at the moment are :
Umberger Brassard Nash
Huselius Johansen Giroux
Prospal Letestu Atkinson
Boyce MacKenzie Boll

(Bass out for 4 months) He would probably slot into Atkinson's spot moving him down to Boll's spot.

Moore J. Johnson
Tyutin Wisniewski
Methot Nikitin
A. Johnson

Mason
Dekanich

pforsbergfan9
Junior League

Post by pforsbergfan9 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 am

Haven't done a challenge in quite awhile now. I don't think I have ever finished a season either. Look forward to this one. I am almost done with my first 20 games. I am currently sitting 14th in the Western Conference with a 3-9-2 record ](*,)

Team all around sucks. That is all.

Unhittable
Learning to skate

Post by Unhittable » Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 am

Iam fairly new to EHM 2007, but iam enjoying it so far and figured I would give the challenge a shot.

Started out rough... 0-4 and I lost M. Mayorov (1 month) John Moore (3 months). Since then I have gone 2-0-1, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise...lol

jArtibise
Junior League

Post by jArtibise » Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Well I had a miserable first 20 games sitting way down in 14th spot, turned it around in the next 20 and managed to inch my way back up into 9th spot.

I'm fairly certain this game hates me though, within the last 2 weeks of playing Umberger, Huselius and Prospal have all taken injuries that will keep them out for 3-4 months, good bye top 6. I have a feeling I'll be joining the "fail for Nail" category soon.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 pm

What a streaky team I have here. After losing the first 5 games of November, we ended up winning 5 in a row. 3 were against Nashville including a 4-0 shutout. Then lost game 20 against St Louis to give us a 10-9-1 record at the 20 game mark. Not bad as we are still playing without Nash who is still slated to be out another 2 months. Ive been taking a risk and playing J.Johnson,Umberger and Mason while they are injured to keep us competitive.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team

Post by joehelmer » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Just about to start my second season and suddenly I've claimed Trent Hunter on waivers, well not me but my coach as I've never been looking at the waiver list so far this challenge. :-?

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Tue May 08, 2012 4:13 am

So season 1 is done. 15th place, and it looks like Yakupov will be ours pending draft lottery. On a positive note, both my AHL and ECHL affiliates are heading to the playoffs!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Well I've got 60 games done in season 1 now. Bass has really fizzled after a great start. He was so strong when I first brought him up. He's on his fourth injury since joining the big team. All of them have been only for a week or two. I was really hoping he'd step up when I lost Nash for two weeks but he didn't. Bass had been demoted to third line RW right before his latest injury. Kubalik has played better since getting bumped up to Bass' old line spots.

Nick Holden has struggled a bit since I've brought him up. He does okay but he hasn't really shone either. He's been serviceable I guess. John Moore has been a wonderful surprise though. I had left him down in the AHL for the first 30 games thinking he was a long way off from being ready for the NHL. He's played 30 games now and he's been very good. He's got 11 points and a +5 in 30 games. He's also got a 8.10 rating. His speed is a great asset.

I'm sitting in 12th place right now. Pride makes me want to gain at least a couple positions in the rankings but I'd probably be better off losing and taking a better draft pick. I've lost Mason for 10 days, so it should be a struggle for a bit at least.

Return to “Challenge Forum”