Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: Challenge 23 : The Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by timmy_t » Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can squeeze out of them. :fight:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 pm

MacKenzie was a 5-ish guy for me in season 1. Dorsett was a 6er but only played in about 60 games. Going into season 2 I'm going to use MacKenzie as a 3rd line center and put him with Umberger and Bass to hopefully create a shutdown line. These guys are all great checkers and they've got good skating. Dorsett will be on my 4th line and will probably not do much.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Well season 2 is in the books, and we finished first overall with a Stanley Cup. Rick Nash was pure beast this year. He posted 122 points and 63 goals. Jack Johnson made first team all star. Steve Mason took home the Crozier sv. pct award as well as the Vezina. The draft this year was horrid. I'll be lucky if I can scrape anyone out of this draft class. There should be a lot of change elsewhere in the league as I saw a ton of big names hit free agency, including Crosby, and Pietrangelo. I'm pretty happy where we are right now. I would like to do something about our bottom six, but I think I will replace them with kids from the farm when I can.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 pm

At the 60 game mark of season 1. sitting in 11th place with a 26-28-6 record. Got Nash into the lineup for the first time in Game 38. In the 22 games he’s played 20g,15a, +17,with a 9.05 rating. Pretty good.
Ive also had trouble getting good performances form D Mackezie. His attributes suggest he should be a solid 3 or 4th line centre.Yet his rating is only 6.05 through 55 games and -16.
Mayorov is doing well with 9g,14 a and 7.18 rating.
Some other interesting stats...Umberger leads the league with 344 hits. Jared Boll is a willing punching bag, second most fights in the league with 17 but only won 5. Bass has been in 9 fights and hasnrt lost one yet 9-9

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 am

thunderbug wrote:Well season 2 is in the books, and we finished first overall with a Stanley Cup. Rick Nash was pure beast this year. He posted 122 points and 63 goals. Jack Johnson made first team all star. Steve Mason took home the Crozier sv. pct award as well as the Vezina. The draft this year was horrid. I'll be lucky if I can scrape anyone out of this draft class. There should be a lot of change elsewhere in the league as I saw a ton of big names hit free agency, including Crosby, and Pietrangelo. I'm pretty happy where we are right now. I would like to do something about our bottom six, but I think I will replace them with kids from the farm when I can.
Congrats on being the first to take them to a cup win.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 am

It kind of was a perfect storm. This team is not that good. Just had a lot of people have career years. Mason being one of them.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Season 1 is done and I must say we did better then I was expecting with this team, especially with Nash missing the first 38 games. we had a good run late Feb into mid March. The powerplay finally clicked and improved about 3 % as well as a better Pk and we slipped into 8th place. Nash ended up leading the team with 36 goals, 10 better then anyone else and he only played half a season. We finished the season strong winning 3 of the last 4 games and got to face the Presidents Cup winning LA Kings in the first round of the playoffs.
Game 1 we take the Kings to OT and win 4-3. Can we upset the top team ??
Game 2 they come back and show us why they finished 36 pts ahead of us in the regular season. we are outshot 46-21 and lose 5-2.
Game 3 our special teams let us down, 0-13 on the PP and we allow 2 PP goals against, losing 3-2
Game 4 Led by a 2 goal game from John Moore we win 4-2
Game 5 again completetly outplayed we lose 4-1
Game 6 we lose a close one 2-1 and the series 4-2
Nash had a very quiet series, only scoring 1 goal and 4 assists. Umberger led the team with 4g.

Other season stats, Boll continued to gamely get pummeled, leading the league with 25 fights,but only won 6. Bass continued his perfect pugilsitic form going 10-10. Maybe he should teach Boll a few moves.
Umberger led the league with 456 blocked shots, and Methot and J. Johnson also place in the top 25.

I think I need to look for a #3 center in the off season and better depth overall.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I didn't have Bass set as "Allowed" for fighting in season 1. Based on you're experiences, I'm going to try him out with fighting in season 2. Thanks! :thup:

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 am

No problem. I often have most of my players set to “allowed” if they have decent size and strength, I dont worry too much about aggressiveness. I figure if they are “allowed” then they can choose whether they want to fight or not. Most often I find they wont.The only guys I have as “never” are my top skill guys or a Dman that is important on the PK. Even then I dont mind the occasional fight.
I rarely use “encouraged” as that just seems to have them drop the gloves in the first period and get sent off on a major penalty. I will use it sometimes if the team is struggling or I just want to beat down a team

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:52 am

darn it all. Games 21-40 we went 11-7-2, since then 4-0-2. Game 46 Nash is out for 2 months :rant: :rant: :rant:
Should be an interesting 2 months

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm only 5 games into season 2 (and doing pretty well) and it's become obvious to me that Brassard just isn't going to cut it as my 2nd line center for the long-term. He's dragging down his linemates. Zajac is a natural center, so I suppose I could move him into that spot but I do like his skill set better on the wing. I'll give it some more time and we'll see.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:23 am

I finally finished season one and I can say even though we were bounced by the Kings in 5, we had a very successful season having two separate injuries to Mason during the season. We ended up with the 16th pick in the NHL Entry Draft and I was pretty happy with this year's class.

And now for my favorite part of the game...

1st Round (16th Overall)
LD Morgan Rielly
1-2 potential, Similar to Dan Boyle
I thought Rielly was an absolute steal at 16. He plays on the left side, he has solid size/strength (6ft 192lbs), can log high minutes with stellar stamina (85), he plays a physical game, but he can handle the puck well and has the speed, acceleration and agility to work well with passing (81) on the break and the powerplay. His shot leaves something to be desired (wristshot - 46 and slapshot-51), but that is nothing that cannot be fixed.. especially with his strong mental atrributes which are all 72 or above. A very consistent player (15) His best attribute is his aggression (86).. This is a player than can really be a strong player in about 3-4 years time and with three years of junior eligibility, he will have the time to develop properly.

2nd Round (32nd Overall)
LW Collin Valcourt
1st Line Potential, Like R.J. Umberger
Every "major" prospect was off the board to this point, but Valcourt fell right into my lap and I took him without hesitation. Valcourt combines strength (6'1", strength - 86) and speed (82, agility -90) with a high work rate (92) and brave game (bravery - 87). He is the perfect highly skilled powerforward I was looking for to replace Huselius in my Top 6. He has a solid offensive game with a nice wrist shot and ability to find the open ice. He hits hard and with the right training can really improve and develop his defensive game (positioning - 62, pokecheck - 65) He is very consistent (15), but the only attribute that worries me is his low determination (30). With the right coaching, he will be a future Top 6 forward on my team and the mold of player I want to bring into Columbus.

2nd Round (46th Overall)
C/LW/RW Jarrod Maidens
2nd line Potential, Like Dave Bolland with bigger frame
A consistent player who could play center, but also play on either wing to fill-in. He has strong mental abilities and good size/strength (6'2"). His offensive ability can be improved to become an effective NHLer with the ability to be strong on the puck and carry it in the zone (stickhandling - 80, Deking - 64)

3rd Round (76th Overall)
RD Dominic Poulin
3-4 Potential, Like Rostislav Klesla
Jesse Forsberg came off the board the pick before, but Poulin was easily the best player available. The team has an abundance of RD's, but he is a rare right handed shot on the team which will help my AHL team's PP and eventually the 2nd PP on the big team. His size/strength (6'2") and stamina (90) were key attributes and coupled with his good defensive game and aggressive style.. he should be a strong defender. He has good mental attributes and mid-range two way D skills that have time to develop in the juniors/minors because of the depth chart. Poulin can be brought along slow and should be a solid depth player for the organization.

4th Round (96th Overall)
LD Jake McCabe
3-4 Potential, Like Ryan Suter
A nice acquisition at a position with need and a surprise potential as my scouting staff initially had him at a 5-6 D-man. He has a solid defense and good size/strength (6' 194lbs) and like the rest of my picks, high rates in mental atrributes and top notch stamina (85). He is quick (acc - 77) and has good speed/agility. His defensive skills are above average (around 60's) and has a similar range of offensive traits. He has played one year with Wisconsin with solid stats and hopefully he can spend a fews years in the NCAA while I develop my other Dmen to sift through the good ones and bad ones. He seems like a player with a solid future on my bottom d pairing and potentially higher.

4th Round (119th Overall)
RW Louick Marcotte
2nd Line Potential, Like Steve Downie
Marcotte looked like he could develop with a strong consistency (17) and mental fortitude. He's a character player, a future assistant captain type with decent speed and size. The lack of right wings on the roster made for a good fit. He has a solid wristshot, but will need time to develop his other offensive and defensive skills.

7th Round (196th Overall) - Selected 28th Overall in the CHL Import Draft
LD Hampus Lindholm
5-6 Potential, Like Fedor Tyutin
The best LD available and a solid potential for such a late pick. He is with Rogle, but I want to bring him over to the CHL to help develop his offensive skills more. He has good size (6'2") and a solid pressuring defensive game. He is not the strongest player, but he finishes his check and has solid positioning. It will be a long shot for him to make the team, but here's to hoping my Hakan Andersson-type skills.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:33 am

I made my trade in the offseason, I picked up Steve Ott for some added grit and two-way play.. I believe I got a steal as I really didn't like Cam Atkinson. In past games, he has never developed to his full potential, and I won't miss him.

I couldn't get an adequate free agent so I will test the waiver wire..

So far Ryan O'Byrne from COL and Joey Crabb from TOR have been placed on waivers, but neither were what I was looking for.. here's to hoping someone is an idiot and drops a Top 6 RW.

My lines are still tentative at this point, but here is what they look like..

Huselius-Johansen-Nash
Ott-Brassard-Umberger
Giroux-Prospal-Bass
Gillies-Letestu-Dorsett
Boll-Boyce

Methot-Johnson
Tyutin-Wisniewski
Moore-Martinek
Nikitin (injured)

Mason
York

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:12 am

So i got that crashing issue as well. got to may 25 and i cant get it to go passed. Using CSD patch and everything.Rolling back didnt seem to help either. kept the save but simmed the season again, wondering if its okay to post pics, or what to do .

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 pm

I don't know why so many people are having crashes. You can restart too if you want. Just let Archi know what stats need to be cleared.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:16 pm

idk either. Since i was past season 1 i just uploaded those ones. So im fine with those ones. i got myself to the point i was at when i crashed.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I haven't had anything happen.. :-?

My team is off to a hot start, winning the first five games of the season.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 am

Season 2 is off to a worse start than season 1, not sure what is wrong, definately need a 2nd line center

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, 10 games into season 3 I made my trade for season 3. To be honest I was trying to feel out what Edmonton wanted. I ended up trading Brassard to Edmonton for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. When I saw that I couldn't turn it down. I think they might have gone with it as Gagner was out at the time.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Nice deal, t-bug! =D>

BTW, bestrafer, I like the way you do your draft recap. I might have to steal that! :**

Is anyone else using Calvert yet? I hope I'm not ruining him by putting him in too prominent of a role too soon. He's been my 1st line LW but occasionally I'll drop him down to the 3rd line and put Umberger to the 1st line. I keep him on the PP though. He's got 24 points in 32 games so far.

The two players whose development I'm really please with are John Moore and Ryan Johanson. Moore has 11 points in 31 games and a +8. His average rating is 7.94! And Johanson has been even better. He's got 44 points in 32 games, a +14, and an 8.91 average rating (best on the team)!

My trade for Zajac has proved to be a good one. He's got 14 G 16 A for 30 P in 32 games with +5 and an 8.03 average rating while playing on the 2nd line and 2nd PP. I can't help but think that he'd have even better results if he had a different center than Brassard. My UFA signing of Colin White has been good. He wasn't expected to contribute much on the scoresheet and he hasn't. He's got 3 assists in 31 games. He's a +5 thought. He's got 84 PIM, 100 hits, and 37 shots blocked so far. He's also fought 4 times, winning 3 of them.

Speaking of fights, I've set Cody Bass as "allowed" to fight and he's fought 4 times so far, winning 2 bouts. Dorsett is my 4th line guy set as "allowed" to fight and he's got the same record. So I'd say Bass is holding his own.

One of my big surprises so far has been Letestu. He's been my 3rd line center all season long. He's actually become pretty good in that spot! He's got 18 points and a +14 with a 7.03 average rating so far. That's not too shabby! I'm guessing that he's benefiting from having Umberger on this LW. Bass has been his RW, so I'm thinking that those two wings are adding a nice physical element

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

I haven't brought up Calvert from the farm yet. I will probably do that next year as he seems to be doing well in the AHL. Most of my kids are down there. I just need to move some bodies out before I can bring them up. First on the list will be Giroux. He tore it up in the AHL, but has been worthless in NHL. His contract is up this year and he will not be renewed. I would like to give his spot to a kid in the AHL, so I can give someone else a shot down there. I do think I'm pretty well set in Goal, my top 6 forwards, and top 7 defense. That being said if something comes along and forces me to make a move I'll do it, but the way things are set right now seeem to be going well.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 pm

bruins72 wrote:BTW, bestrafer, I like the way you do your draft recap. I might have to steal that! :**
Thanks. I would like to see a more in-depth explanation of why all of the other challenge contestants picked the way they did.

bestrafer7
Drafted

Post by bestrafer7 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 pm

I've notice in my game that Calvert plays better with more minutes and my team couldn't give him the 22+ minutes like he is playing in the AHL.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm

As far as drafting goes. I almost always draft BPA, for the simple reason that I don't intend to rush players into the NHL, unless they can handle it. Second season draft is always atrocious, and I'll be lucky if I get any nhlers out of it. First season was ok, I might end up with a couple kids.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 am

I havent tried Calvert yet, but ive had good results out of Giroux and Atkinson. Kubalik was the real surprise for me. Season 2 started atrocious, come december I hadnt made my trade yet and Colorado really wanted Jack Johnson, countered and got Paul Stastny!. Since then him, Nash and Umberger are steam-rolling throught the opposition. sometime switching out umberger for Johansen. Picked up Dominic Moore off waivers. Anyone actually get prospal to do anything? right now my lineup is
Umberger - Stastny - Nash
Huselius - Johansen - Kubalik
Giroux - D.Moore - Brassard
Prospal - Mackenzie - Letestu
Moore - Wisziewski
Methot - Tyutin
Nikitin - Martinek

Return to “Challenge Forum”