Challenge 24: Swift Current Broncos (Discussion)

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Re: Challenge 24: Swift Current Broncos (Discussion)

Post by Manimal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:48 pm

smokey wrote:Alright! Barry Melrose signed as head coach for season 2. :D
I hope you had him as assistant for six months before that...

smokey
Minor League
Favourite Team: HIFK, Charlestown Chiefs, Flyers

Post by smokey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Manimal wrote:
smokey wrote:Alright! Barry Melrose signed as head coach for season 2. :D
I hope you had him as assistant for six months before that...
Sure did. He didn't want to sign as a head coach at the beginning of the game, so I got him as an assistant.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:47 pm

I got an Israeli Head coach and the assistants are Finnish (times two), Swedish, Canadian and Israeli, my Ass.GM is American and my Head Scout is Irish. Nice mix huh?

smokey
Minor League

Post by smokey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm

visualdarkness wrote:I got an Israeli Head coach and the assistants are Finnish (times two), Swedish, Canadian and Israeli, my Ass.GM is American and my Head Scout is Irish. Nice mix huh?
Israeli head coach? :D

I just squeezed in a trade right before the deadline, getting a starting goalie from Kootenay who went on to win the Mem cup in my first season. Without this trade I would've been screwed with a 16 yo semi-prospect and my backup from the previous season. Lucky lucky.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Argh. This is a challenge I really wanted to participate in. But....I just do not have the time at this point to do anything with the game. So...I unfortunately will not be getting past where I am right now (About the 7 game mark of season 1)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm

That's too bad. There's still a considerable amount of time left on the challenge though, so if things change there is still a chance to get in on it.

I'm currently in the playoffs of season 2. I'm at the Eastern Conference Finals against Brandon with the series tied 2-2. We were the top team in the WHL this season (after being ranked last in the pre-season rankings), so we're hoping to go far.

Has anyone else had issues with Colby Cave and practice? I'm constantly getting news items about Cave complaining about his practice. I have to keep switching him to something else. It's annoying. He's had a decent season on the second line but I might have to look at getting rid of him for next season if he's going to be such a pain. Cave has moved up in the ISS rankings since the season began. Right now he's ranked at #114. Chase (my trade guy) is ranked 36th.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm

So I'm in the President's Cup Finals now against Vancouver and it's time to draft. The funny thing is, even though we lead the league, we're picking 3rd in the draft. I guess that makes up for being ripped off last season and picking much later than we should have. Also strange is that even though we finished the season as the top team in the league, Vancouver has home ice advantage. Is it because they beat us in the one game we played against them during the season? Is it because they had 1 more win (but less points overall) than us? Or is it another wacky bug like the draft issue? It should really matter though.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm in a holding pattern just before my second season's preseason games. We're closing on a new house next week, then the big move, and I also have a promotional exam at work on August 4th. UGH!!! I can't wait for all of this to be over... ](*,)

And to answer about Colby Cave, I haven't had any real problems with him in practice. His determination is a 7 though... but it's higher than most of the team I started with. :)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Congrats on the new house and good luck with the move! :thup: I've been there. It's not fun, especially when you've got an infant (or two in my case).

Cave's determination must have been left as random. He's got a 12 in my game. The scouting report says he's a realist and that he's fickle though. I'm guessing the fickle part relates to his training?

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, he's just going to whine and complain about everything.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Ugh! These stupid NHL teams are messing with my playoff run! First Detroit signed Nedomlel but fortunately, they sent him back in the same day. Next, the Jets signed Lowry but they haven't returned him. They're not a playoff team. So why are they hanging on to him? Of corse, I haven't gotten my screenshots yet and Lowry is my top goalscorer. I was down 3 games to 1 in my series against Vancouver. Fortunately, I won that first game without Lowry, so the series is now 3-2. I'm hoping to pull off a big comeback but I'm playing with a short bench.

EDIT UPDATE:

And we lost the next game. We lost the President's Cup Final series 4-2. Oh well! We were predicted to be the worst team in the league before the season kicked off.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 pm

And awards time...

Nedomlel : Bill Hunter Trophy, WHL Playoff MVP 3rd place,

Chase : Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy 3rd place, WHL Plus-Minus award, Brad Hornung Trophy 2nd place

Lowry : WHL Plus-Minus 2nd place

Scarlett : WHL Plus-Minus 3rd place

Mika Alatalo (coach) : Dunk McCallum Memorial 2nd place

I had a decent draft, I think. If anyone is really curious about it, I can post a screenshot of my picks but I'm too lazy to type them all out right now.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:21 pm

So I'm still in the off-season. I never got Lowry back. I'm guessing that's because he was 20 by that point so they could do what they wanted with him. Scarlett and Nedomlel's loans ended. I'm pretty sure I won't get Scarlett loaned back to use since he's 20 now. The Canadiens will be sending him to the minors. Nedomlel should get loaned back to us though.

The Vancouver Giants won the Memorial Cup. Over in the NHL the Calgary Flames beat the Pittsburgh Penguins to win the Stanley Cup. That one was kind of surprising.

The NHL had their draft. The Dallas Stars picked Greg Chase (my trade from last season) in the second round, #31 overall. Colby Cave was ranked 114th but didn't get picked. They must have figured out what a pain in the rear he was.

Christian Magnus and Jordan Evans left the team. They were overagers and their contracts were at an end. So they're moving on. Magnus had great skating but his skills never developed. I really couldn't use him as much more than a third liner. Evans was a serviceable defenseman for me. I'll probably miss him more than Magnus. Evans hasn't really gotten any contract offers yet but Magnus has offers from several ECHL teams .

I released my picks from last year's Import Draft. The one I took in the second round ended up released right away. I finally released Barkov's rights when I needed to trim my reserve list down after the Bantam draft. He wasn't going to play for us. He was under contract in Finland. He was taken 5th overall in the NHL draft by the Edmonton Oilers. In this year's Import Draft, we have the 8th pick. I think this is another result of my messed up draft order issue. I think I did fairly well on this one. I got Tom Falk, a 6'4" Swedish defenseman and Tomas Prochazka, a 5'10 Czech winger (plays both sides well). Neither is under contract to a team right now.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 pm

It went from decent to brutal lately and now this: :doh:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Did you not back the player up when he was criticized by the media? I don't know why else a player would have personal issues with you. I've had many news items where the media has been ripping into my players this season (season 3) because we got off to a less than stellar start. I think I've turned this around to some extent though.

I just made my season 3 trade! I felt that my team was a bit weak at RD, because I had Eric Walker (who is a LD but is "competent" at RD), Cole Beven (he's just okay for me), and Bobby Zinkan (who's probably been the worst player on my team). My left side is stacked pretty well but I didn't really have any options at RD. So I went looking around for a deal. I found Spenser Jensen at Medicine Hat. He 18 years old, has good size, is a great skater, and some decent skills. So I looked at what I had available to offer and there wasn't much. I had Graham Black playing down at my affiliate because I didn't find him all that special and I already had my 3 over-agers playing. Fortunately for me, Medicine Hat didn't have 3 over-agers on their roster and they accepted the deal! This should be just what we needed!

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 pm

bruins72 wrote:Did you not back the player up when he was criticized by the media? I don't know why else a player would have personal issues with you. I've had many news items where the media has been ripping into my players this season (season 3) because we got off to a less than stellar start. I think I've turned this around to some extent though.
I had loads of ripping of my players by the media but I've always backed my players up. Danielsson says that he is happy with playing for the team and I play him hard despite having him as my "most overrated" player. Dunno where they got the story from.

smokey
Minor League

Post by smokey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 am

Yay! A winning record and we're in the play-offs. I noticed you have to keep an eye on the number of hits a player throws in order to properly evaluate how much any one player is contributing. In my game Zac MacKay is a prime example of a player with all the right attributes for a power forward, but for some reason he's not playing a very physical game with a 6+ average rating. Over the entire season he has 14 hits, which is less than most of the less physical players on my team.

In my second season Black totalled 109 points, which is awesome, but if he hadn't been injured the entire first season I would've had arguably two of the best C in the league in my first season.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 am

smokey wrote:Yay! A winning record and we're in the play-offs. I noticed you have to keep an eye on the number of hits a player throws in order to properly evaluate how much any one player is contributing. In my game Zac MacKay is a prime example of a player with all the right attributes for a power forward, but for some reason he's not playing a very physical game with a 6+ average rating. Over the entire season he has 14 hits, which is less than most of the less physical players on my team.

In my second season Black totalled 109 points, which is awesome, but if he hadn't been injured the entire first season I would've had arguably two of the best C in the league in my first season.
It's due to how the game is counting how size contributes to physical play, it really should have been patched by SI.

Black is my most underachieving player and is hated by the media. I've thrown him in every type of role that would suit him but he still gets mostly 5's. :rant:

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

This is going from bad to worse.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 pm

I feel your pain- I've never seen a goalie get a "2" before. :-o

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 am

timmy_t wrote:I feel your pain- I've never seen a goalie get a "2" before. :-o
And you had never seen a "2", it can get worse! :-? :doh:

And now my players backstabs me...

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:52 pm

HAHAHA!! To bad you can't reply to his comment by saying that Swift Current will never win with him between the pipes! :-D

That whole team is a bunch of complainers!!

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:52 pm

HAHAHA!! To bad you can't reply to his comment by saying that Swift Current will never win with him between the pipes! :-D

That whole team is a bunch of complainers!!

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:25 am

And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse this happens in the first exhibition game with my new first line center. ](*,)

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm

16 games into the second season things look really good but suddenly one day both Bloom and Danielsson also stab me in the back blaming me for their recent dips in form. The thing is that I've given both of them every opportunity to produce but they just don't, whiners! :rant:

Return to “Challenge Forum”