What leagues are you running in your game?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.

Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM 1 ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual
Post Reply
matbur
TBL Rosters Researcher
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by matbur » Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am

One of the most frustrating aspects of the game for me is the game speed if you run more than a few leagues. I know this is dependant on your laptop/PC but I am able to play FM2018 with far more leagues than EHM.

Anything more than the NHL, AHL, ECHL and the CHL leagues makes the game really slow for me. I'd really like to be able to run a load of European leagues and playing across Europe, but it's just not possible with the game speed.

Out, of interest, what league leagues do you run?

PS Liking the new site upgrade btw. :thup:

User avatar
philou21
The Great One
Posts: 9309
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 pm
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche
Location: Trois-Rivières, Québec

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by philou21 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I play with North-America full enhanced of course but for the rest I'm only picking the most important leagues of each country.

User avatar
Rigafan
Junior League
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 pm
Favourite Team: Dinamo Riga
Location: England

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Rigafan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm

matbur wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 am
One of the most frustrating aspects of the game for me is the game speed if you run more than a few leagues. I know this is dependant on your laptop/PC but I am able to play FM2018 with far more leagues than EHM.

Anything more than the NHL, AHL, ECHL and the CHL leagues makes the game really slow for me. I'd really like to be able to run a load of European leagues and playing across Europe, but it's just not possible with the game speed.

Out, of interest, what league leagues do you run?

PS Liking the new site upgrade btw. :thup:
Likewise. I have a good PC but EHM always seems to process very slowly if I have mor than a couple of leagues running.

Sometimes I'll just load them all if I wasnt to do a 'Unemployed to NHL' type challenge but mos to of the time I'll do as philou21 says. Run the NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL on full enhanched then maybe like the KHL, SHL, Finland etc and just deal with it

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm

I had this answer typed out on mobile, but it didn't end up posting right :rant:

I play with the default rosters, and with a full database (my detail level is on quick sim). But man, this game simming day-to-day is painful. My laptop from 2013/2014 just seems to lock up every time. I get jealous reading other posters simming past 2050/2060 when I'm still in the 2030s. EHM 07 runs quicker than this.

I've been debating on getting a new computer for a while, but i'm not sure if even that could help.

User avatar
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 19073
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:44 pm
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm
I had this answer typed out on mobile, but it didn't end up posting right :rant:

I play with the default rosters, and with a full database (my detail level is on quick sim). But man, this game simming day-to-day is painful. My laptop from 2013/2014 just seems to lock up every time. I get jealous reading other posters simming past 2050/2060 when I'm still in the 2030s. EHM 07 runs quicker than this.

I've been debating on getting a new computer for a while, but i'm not sure if even that could help.
What specs are you running it on? I have to admit I didn't notice any change in sim speed between EHM 2007 to EHM 1 but I know a couple of people have mentioned the same issue.

User avatar
Rigafan
Junior League
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 pm
Favourite Team: Dinamo Riga
Location: England

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Rigafan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm
I had this answer typed out on mobile, but it didn't end up posting right :rant:

I play with the default rosters, and with a full database (my detail level is on quick sim). But man, this game simming day-to-day is painful. My laptop from 2013/2014 just seems to lock up every time. I get jealous reading other posters simming past 2050/2060 when I'm still in the 2030s. EHM 07 runs quicker than this.

I've been debating on getting a new computer for a while, but i'm not sure if even that could help.
I have a decent PC. More than capable for EHM (Bought PC in Jan 18) and it still runs so darn slow.

EHM07 is still the better game its just a shame its so outdated

Maybe is we ever see the next update for EHM 1 then we'll get some improvments

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm
Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm
I had this answer typed out on mobile, but it didn't end up posting right :rant:

I play with the default rosters, and with a full database (my detail level is on quick sim). But man, this game simming day-to-day is painful. My laptop from 2013/2014 just seems to lock up every time. I get jealous reading other posters simming past 2050/2060 when I'm still in the 2030s. EHM 07 runs quicker than this.

I've been debating on getting a new computer for a while, but i'm not sure if even that could help.
What specs are you running it on? I have to admit I didn't notice any change in sim speed between EHM 2007 to EHM 1 but I know a couple of people have mentioned the same issue.
I have an 'old' laptop from 2014/2015, and a workstation from 2012 that I have as a backup. EHM07 sims quicker and doesn't lock up simming day-to-day as EHM1 does.

I'm using the default 'out-of-the-box' rosters that the game came with, a Full database that includes extra national team and junior players. So ultimately the maximum roster size you can come up with.

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Rigafan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm
I had this answer typed out on mobile, but it didn't end up posting right :rant:

I play with the default rosters, and with a full database (my detail level is on quick sim). But man, this game simming day-to-day is painful. My laptop from 2013/2014 just seems to lock up every time. I get jealous reading other posters simming past 2050/2060 when I'm still in the 2030s. EHM 07 runs quicker than this.

I've been debating on getting a new computer for a while, but i'm not sure if even that could help.
I have a decent PC. More than capable for EHM (Bought PC in Jan 18) and it still runs so darn slow.

EHM07 is still the better game its just a shame its so outdated

Maybe is we ever see the next update for EHM 1 then we'll get some improvments
I know the 1.5 update will come with an in-game editor, but I don't know what else its supposed to come with. I think Riz said it's a big update?

User avatar
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 19073
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:44 pm
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 pm
I have an 'old' laptop from 2014/2015, and a workstation from 2012 that I have as a backup. EHM07 sims quicker and doesn't lock up simming day-to-day as EHM1 does.

I'm using the default 'out-of-the-box' rosters that the game came with, a Full database that includes extra national team and junior players. So ultimately the maximum roster size you can come up with.
It's hard to say without knowing the specs for comparison, but it is worth noting that having the extra players will increase the size of the DB substantially in comparison with the EHM 2007 DB. This might, at least in part, be responsible for the difference in speed. Adding the extra national team and junior players on a full DB with all leagues selected increases the number of players from 54,000 to 70,000 (so a ~30% increase).

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:19 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 pm
Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 pm
I have an 'old' laptop from 2014/2015, and a workstation from 2012 that I have as a backup. EHM07 sims quicker and doesn't lock up simming day-to-day as EHM1 does.

I'm using the default 'out-of-the-box' rosters that the game came with, a Full database that includes extra national team and junior players. So ultimately the maximum roster size you can come up with.
It's hard to say without knowing the specs for comparison, but it is worth noting that having the extra players will increase the size of the DB substantially in comparison with the EHM 2007 DB. This might, at least in part, be responsible for the difference in speed. Adding the extra national team and junior players on a full DB with all leagues selected increases the number of players from 54,000 to 70,000 (so a ~30% increase).
I just have the NHL selected, no other leagues.

**edit**

Like I said before, I don’t know what the game does in the background with all of the extra players. I also have to detail level pressed to ‘none’ but it doesn’t seem to affect anything

User avatar
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 19073
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:44 pm
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 am

Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:19 pm
I just have the NHL selected, no other leagues.

**edit**

Like I said before, I don’t know what the game does in the background with all of the extra players. I also have to detail level pressed to ‘none’ but it doesn’t seem to affect anything
With the Full DB setting, it's pretty much the same regardless of which leagues you choose. This is because the Full DB setting loads all players and non-players from the DB whereas the smaller DB settings will not load the lower reputation persons from inactive leagues/nations. With just the NHL loaded, a Full DB setting has 52,000 players/non-players and the extra national team and junior players adds 14,000 players/non-players, bringing this up to 66,000 (so a ~27% increase). Note that these examples are using the current TBL Rosters and the sizes will vary by DB.

The number of players/non-players loaded and the sim detail settings play a significant role in sim speeds. Running an extra 27-30% DB size will slow things down and I would expect this would likely account for the difference in sim speeds between EHM 2007 and EHM 1. Try running the NHL with a Full DB without the extra national team and junior settings and see how that compares against EHM 2007. If it is still noticeably slower than EHM 2007 then would be fair to say EHM 1 is slower.

As I say, I've no idea what spec your machine is, but I do know CPU and hard drive play a big part in performance. This is possibly going a bit OT, but I have played EHM 2007 on four different laptops and have found a significant performance increase when going from one CPU to another. Even when I upgraded from a Core i7 2630QM (2.9 GHz max) to my current Core i7 7700HQ (3.9 GHz max) there was a very noticeable improvement. A few years back I replaced by spindle hard drive with a solid state drive on my 2630QM laptop and this also noticeably improved performance. It's a bit crazy that a decade old game would benefit from even recent CPUs but I guess the volume of data it processes means the higher the CPU clock the better (it'd be great if one day EHM were capable of multi-core/thread processing like FM as that would make a big difference to sim times).

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 am
Smirnov2Chistov wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:19 pm
I just have the NHL selected, no other leagues.

**edit**

Like I said before, I don’t know what the game does in the background with all of the extra players. I also have to detail level pressed to ‘none’ but it doesn’t seem to affect anything
With the Full DB setting, it's pretty much the same regardless of which leagues you choose. This is because the Full DB setting loads all players and non-players from the DB whereas the smaller DB settings will not load the lower reputation persons from inactive leagues/nations. With just the NHL loaded, a Full DB setting has 52,000 players/non-players and the extra national team and junior players adds 14,000 players/non-players, bringing this up to 66,000 (so a ~27% increase). Note that these examples are using the current TBL Rosters and the sizes will vary by DB.

The number of players/non-players loaded and the sim detail settings play a significant role in sim speeds. Running an extra 27-30% DB size will slow things down and I would expect this would likely account for the difference in sim speeds between EHM 2007 and EHM 1. Try running the NHL with a Full DB without the extra national team and junior settings and see how that compares against EHM 2007. If it is still noticeably slower than EHM 2007 then would be fair to say EHM 1 is slower.

As I say, I've no idea what spec your machine is, but I do know CPU and hard drive play a big part in performance. This is possibly going a bit OT, but I have played EHM 2007 on four different laptops and have found a significant performance increase when going from one CPU to another. Even when I upgraded from a Core i7 2630QM (2.9 GHz max) to my current Core i7 7700HQ (3.9 GHz max) there was a very noticeable improvement. A few years back I replaced by spindle hard drive with a solid state drive on my 2630QM laptop and this also noticeably improved performance. It's a bit crazy that a decade old game would benefit from even recent CPUs but I guess the volume of data it processes means the higher the CPU clock the better (it'd be great if one day EHM were capable of multi-core/thread processing like FM as that would make a big difference to sim times).
EHM 07 has a small database compared with what you can do with EHM1, so I tried running the game with the normal database, no extra players or anything like that. The game *does* seem to run slightly faster, but still locks up simming from day-to-day. Not sure if space on the computer makes a difference? Maybe I need to clear the music and picture clutter that I have on the laptop :-?

It seems I may have to invest in a better laptop or something!

mattgunn18
Junior League
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:52 am
Favourite Team: vancouver

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by mattgunn18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:19 am

I accidently didnt include other leagues, and can only see the top 20 scorers or whatever it is. I often use the total scoring pages for other leagues to sign free agents. Does anyone know if you can change these settings once a new career has started? I've looked everywhere, but cant make it happen

User avatar
philou21
The Great One
Posts: 9309
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:15 pm
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche
Location: Trois-Rivières, Québec

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by philou21 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:41 pm

You can't change it as far as I remember. It's a definitive choice.

celislanders1
Prospect
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 pm

What leagues are you running in your game?

Post by celislanders1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes it does run really slow for me too and new computer. Which leagues would you suggest running playing Elite League ??

Post Reply

Return to “General EHM Chat”