How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.

Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM 1 ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual
philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Re: How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

Post by philou21 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Let's start his 19-20 season!

Like I said before, the off-season was quiet. Only resigning Plekanec and the awful Brandon Coburn to an exagerated salary to avoid some cap floor fines. :-p

Here's the line-up for the upcoming season:

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Marchesseault-Danault-Lekhonen
Zadina-Froese-Carr
Deslauriers-Plekanec-Reway

Girard-Weber
Alzner-Mete
Schlemko-Jerabek

Lindgren
Montoya

Yet again we are ranked as the last team in the pre-season ranking, which isn't a surprise since the line-up hasn't changed at all. After burning the QMJHL with 2 seasons of 65 and 78 pts with an average of 8.15 and 8.30, I decided to keep Zadina and test him a bit. He will be 20 yo in novembre so I don't want to send him back in the junior. If he's struggling I prefer to sent him down to the AHL.

On the bright side my AHL team is looking stronger as my prospects are starting to fill the line-up. I now have Boqvist, Ikonen, Newhook, Wise and maybe Zadina with Laval. Newhook is only 18 yo so I'm not sure I will keep him there if he doesn't perform. I'm just testing him since he had some good seasons in the BCHL. I also have Juulsen that during the last season had a huge improvement in his technical attributes but failed to gain some speed and acceleration. I'm disappointed by that because he could easily steel the spot of Schlemko or Jerabek.

alexob18
First Line

Post by alexob18 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:53 pm

General Manager alexob18 checking in!

I've done a few Avalanche runs lately and I wanted to branch out to a team that I think needed a bit of a teardown. Cue the Carolina Hurricanes!

I'm currently in year 2, but I will give a comprehensive update as to what happened in year 1.

I decided to do some "housekeeping" and take out the trash... this included Lee Stempniak, Justin Williams (no game 7s in my playthrough!), Cam Ward and a few other odds and ends. I wound up with LA's 1st round pick for Stempniak, 2 2nds for Ward, and a handful of picks for WIlliams. I let Darling and my backup split the starts to tank a bit, and what do you know, we came 27th in the league! Not too shabby. Fallin' for Dahlin was the main objective, but I wanted to make sure Aho, Lindholm and Hanafin got a ton of ice time to develop.

We got really lucky and wound up winning the lottery! Dahlin is mine, currently playing in Charlotte to develop. Jake Wise dropped from 11th in rankings (has excellent hidden attributes based on scouting reports) all the way down to 19th, so I scooped him up along with LW Tyler Weiss who dropped to 35th despite his 19th overall ranking. He looks to be a solid 2nd line winger, so he's developing in the ECHL to be promoted to the AHL the following year. A bunch of picks are currently being developed (I had about 13 picks in the 2018 draft).

I locked up Backlund and Jenner in the off season (5 years each at 3.5MM to round out the roster) and Jumbo Joe Thornton to take over the 4th line for a year.

I have no idea what happened, but the team went on an ABSOLUTE TEAR to start the year.

Skinner - J.Staal - E.Lindholm
Aho - V.Rask - Teravainen
Jenner - Backlund - B.McGinn
Sgarbossa - Thornton - revolving door of AHLers

Faulk - Hanafin
Slavin - Pesce
T.vR - Kronwall (waiver pickup for salary reasons)

Darling
Backup

These guys are KILLING IT. Sitting at 107 points halfway through March, locked up a playoff spot and are constantly blowing teams out 8-3, 7-4, etc. My entire top 6 is a PPG or higher and Hanafin isn't far behind. I'm hoping the Ducks are going to bomb out of the playoffs so their 1st I acquired actually lands me a solid prospect... but if not, I know Wise and Weiss are going to be taking top 6 roles in a couple of years and Dahlin will be an anchor on that blue line. Slavin will have to be moved to make room for the big D soon enough, hoping to grab 2 1st rounders for the guy.

Here's to a successful playoff run!

:joy:

alexob18
First Line

Post by alexob18 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:54 pm

Also, I should acquire Dale Weise to have a

Weiss - Wise - Weise

line. This is my new goal for the 2020 season!
Last edited by alexob18 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Welcome back Alex!
Last we heard of you you were heading to Sports managment school, IIRC

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:06 pm

Welcome back Alex! It's nice to see a familiar face return. :-)

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Holy Oates! Welcome back Alex! It's been a while! :-o :-)

alexob18
First Line

Post by alexob18 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Manimal wrote:Welcome back Alex!
Last we heard of you you were heading to Sports managment school, IIRC
archibalduk wrote:Welcome back Alex! It's nice to see a familiar face return. :-)
philou21 wrote:Holy Oates! Welcome back Alex! It's been a while! :-o :-)
Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I've missed you all!

Manimal, I did go away to school, dropped out, did another undergrad and actually just finished my MBA! I now work in corporate finance, but I'm hoping to hell I can get into Sports Analytics for an NHL team... that'd be the best.

My uncle and I have recently started up new franchises (he's doing a full Chicago teardown and rebuild) and as we've been texting our trades back and forth, it inspired me to come back to my EHM roots! I've always kept playing from time to time, but I love the new release and all of the hard work put into the roster updates. This is the best community on the internet, that's for darn sure!

Grentroz
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Grentroz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:46 am

Started with Montreal Canadiens. This being my first season, fans weren't super happy to see me land the job. Are they ever happy to see a new GM anyway? Do note I play with the stats out of 100. They speak more to me than those out of 20. So, here's a quick (maybe not so quick) overview of my first season :

First task : Fire most of the scouts and hire better ones. Quite happy I managed to sign is Claude Carrier. He's 66 y/o (in 2017-2018), but his "Judging player ability" is 96 and his "Judging player potential" is 99. I signed a few more scouts and shuffled my assistant coaching staff...Younger and somewhat more dedicated to a particular position for each of the new coaches.

Second task and first blunder : Trying to waiver Mete thinking it would allow me to send him to the junior. Florida Panthers weren't asking for a much better gift from a rookie GM...Yeah, they snagged him and I wasn't about to restart each time I made a mistake, so I let him go ](*,)

From there, I made some trades. Alex Hemsky was sent to Detroit for Frans Nielsen. Pretty much the same age (33 for Nielsen and 34 for Hemsky), but if virtual Hemsky is anything like real life Hemsky,, he'll spend more time in the infirmary than on the ice. Nielsen ended the season with 30 pts (17 g and 13 a), so ain't too bad. Picked up Tomas Jurco on the waiver from Chicago. Kid's 25, so right in the core of the team (Drouin and Galchenyuk). Finished the season with 22 pts (16 g and 6 a) while playing mostly on the 4th line and missing 3 months thanks to a broken foot. Also managed to trade Daniel Carr to Pittsburgh in a one on one trade and got Daniel Sprong. 20 years old. Hopefully, he'll fit in the team on the 2nd line at least.

Team finished 3rd in the eastern conference with 109 pts. Ottawa finished 1st in the East with 123 pts and Boston dead last with 57 pts. In the West, Winnipeg finished 1st with 111 pts and Calgary went in 15th with 73 pts.

Finishing 3rd meant PLAYOFF time :-D. First round was against Toronto. Lost the first game in 3rd OT...but won the series in 6 games. Next round was against Ottawa. Won in 5 games. Then, it went downhill hard. Washington in conference final. They swept the floor with me and I was sent packing in 4 little games.

So, Stanley cup final was Washington and San Jose. San Jose won their first Cup in 5 games.

Coming right up is the draft and free agency. No idea what's gonna come out of this.

Hopefully, I'll have an illustrious career like a lot of those posted in this thread.

Quick question : If I apply for Team Canada and they hire me, do I go back to my NHL team after the tournament?

uknownick
Junior League
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings

Post by uknownick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Grentroz wrote:Started with Montreal Canadiens. This being my first season, fans weren't super happy to see me land the job. Are they ever happy to see a new GM anyway? Do note I play with the stats out of 100. They speak more to me than those out of 20. So, here's a quick (maybe not so quick) overview of my first season :

First task : Fire most of the scouts and hire better ones. Quite happy I managed to sign is Claude Carrier. He's 66 y/o (in 2017-2018), but his "Judging player ability" is 96 and his "Judging player potential" is 99. I signed a few more scouts and shuffled my assistant coaching staff...Younger and somewhat more dedicated to a particular position for each of the new coaches.

Second task and first blunder : Trying to waiver Mete thinking it would allow me to send him to the junior. Florida Panthers weren't asking for a much better gift from a rookie GM...Yeah, they snagged him and I wasn't about to restart each time I made a mistake, so I let him go ](*,)

From there, I made some trades. Alex Hemsky was sent to Detroit for Frans Nielsen. Pretty much the same age (33 for Nielsen and 34 for Hemsky), but if virtual Hemsky is anything like real life Hemsky,, he'll spend more time in the infirmary than on the ice. Nielsen ended the season with 30 pts (17 g and 13 a), so ain't too bad. Picked up Tomas Jurco on the waiver from Chicago. Kid's 25, so right in the core of the team (Drouin and Galchenyuk). Finished the season with 22 pts (16 g and 6 a) while playing mostly on the 4th line and missing 3 months thanks to a broken foot. Also managed to trade Daniel Carr to Pittsburgh in a one on one trade and got Daniel Sprong. 20 years old. Hopefully, he'll fit in the team on the 2nd line at least.

Team finished 3rd in the eastern conference with 109 pts. Ottawa finished 1st in the East with 123 pts and Boston dead last with 57 pts. In the West, Winnipeg finished 1st with 111 pts and Calgary went in 15th with 73 pts.

Finishing 3rd meant PLAYOFF time :-D. First round was against Toronto. Lost the first game in 3rd OT...but won the series in 6 games. Next round was against Ottawa. Won in 5 games. Then, it went downhill hard. Washington in conference final. They swept the floor with me and I was sent packing in 4 little games.

So, Stanley cup final was Washington and San Jose. San Jose won their first Cup in 5 games.

Coming right up is the draft and free agency. No idea what's gonna come out of this.

Hopefully, I'll have an illustrious career like a lot of those posted in this thread.

Quick question : If I apply for Team Canada and they hire me, do I go back to my NHL team after the tournament?
In my saves, Sven Andrighetto (good playmaker, lika Palat), Tage Thompson (big strong scorer, like Brock Nelson), and Daniel Sprong (I think you did a great pickup, could be a solid second liner, even first line winger) are three great young players that are usually traded by AIs in the first year.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:01 am

So remember when I said the 18-19 season was the worst season of my EHM career? The 19-20 said "hold my beer". We finished dead last in the NHL with 24-51-7 good for 55 points. The worst part of it is that I lost the draft lottery and I will pick at the second spot. That's two years in a row that I finish last and I'm losing the lottery! What did Edmonton do to win so many first picks? :D Our PK stands at 74% and our PP is at 14%. I've never seen such bad stats from my teams.

This season was also tainted by alot of injuries. Four players played the whole 82 games. I'm used to get some injuries in the first season when I take over a team since they're getting used to my trainings but after three seasons most of the time they stay healthy. Seems like my team is plagues with injury prone players. So here's the team stats:

So Galchenyuk yet again finishes has my top scorer followed by Drouin. Gallagher had a pretty good season compared to the rest of the team and beat his last points high. The goalies were still atrocious. Montoya decided to call it a quit this summer, which doesn't surprise me. Coburn is also taking his retirement. Philip Zadina stayed with us the whole season even though I was planning to send him down. He did alright with 28 pts and a ratio of 7.20. He mostly played the season on the third line with some quality PP time.

Now on the bright side, I brought alot of prospects to Laval and they did very well! The team finished first in the AHL with a record of 56-20 but lost in the third round of the playoffs. Jake Wise (20 yo), Joni Ikonen(21 yo), Alex Newhook (19 yo) and Adam Boqvist (19 yo) all played amazingly. I even sent down Zadina after the NHL season and in three games he scored 6 pts with a 9.33 ratio. It's the first time I think I had so many young players tearing through the AHL like that. Three of them are mainly centers, so that will create some competition within the team! Here's the team stats:

Wise finished second in the AHL for points, Newhook finished at the 6th spot and Ikonen finished 4th. All of that at their first pro season! So the third of them will probably stay with the team next year and take part in the rebuild of the team. We're getting somewhere! The only question mark I have is Boqvist. He has some really nice stats overall but his defensive attributes are really bad and they barely improved, so I don't know if he'll make the team.

Now with Montoya retiring. I'll need to find a solution in the net ASAP. Fucale and McNiven aren't NHL material and Landford, my second or third round pick of last year that is predicted to be like Ben Bishop didn't played a single game this season with Yale for some reasons. In the next draft barely one goalie is available and his attributes are so bad that I really don't believe he'll be a Matt Murray like 5 of my scouts are saying. So maybe I'll need to make a trade to aquire a young, promising goalie since there's nothing good at the drafts.

I also signed during the season Galchenyuk to a four years deal with an average of 6.75 millions per year. He was asking 7 millions for 6 years but since I have three promising prospects at this position, I don't want to be caught with him for too many seasons in case I need to get rid of him.

On to the draft!

Grentroz
Junior League

Post by Grentroz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:56 am

Second season is just about to start. Team looks really different from last year. I was (IMO) darn busy in the off season. I am doubtful the team will make the playoff considering that the average age is lower and the players are less experienced, but we'll see

Draft was...boring. I didn't realize I could leave to make some trades, so I probably lost some opportunity there. My choices were :
Joel Farabee - Left wing - 1st round, 27th overall
T.J Walsh - Forward (could play all 3 positions) - 2nd round, 47th overall
Tomas Dajcar - Left defense - 2nd round, 58th overall
Doug Anderson - Left wing - 2nd round, 60th overall
Julian Kislin - Right defense - 3rd round, 87th overall
Lukas Dostal - Goalie - 5th round, 151st overall

Dunno what to expect from any of them. Only future will tell.

On July 1st, I tried to snag some FA. Namely Evander Kane, Cam Atkinson and...Mike Green I think. Doesn't really matter considering they all signed elsewhere.

For the rest of the summer :
Got rid of Max Paccioretty (Hate him IRL, tried to trade him all first season long. Ain't care if he's potentially my best player -.-) to Vegas for Nick Suzuki and Reid Duke. Suzuki is a potential 1st-2nd liner and Duke is...there...I guess.
Signed Jonathan Marchessault for 6 years
Shipped Jordie Benn to Detroit for Xavier Ouellet.
Shipped Paul Byron for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Finally got myself a 1st line center.

BUT, my favorite move is repairing my rookie error that was losing Mete to the waivers. Got him back for Andrew Shaw and a 2nd round pick. Kinda costly, but he's baaaaack!

As I write this update, we are about to start the season against Buffalo...and Nugent-Hopkins' already injured.

Below is my line-up (Replace all Nielsen with Nugent-Hopkins and also replace Hudon on both Powerplay line also with Nugent-Hopkins)

Here goes for a 2nd season with Montreal!!

Grentroz
Junior League

Post by Grentroz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 am

uknownick wrote:
Grentroz wrote:
In my saves, Sven Andrighetto (good playmaker, lika Palat), Tage Thompson (big strong scorer, like Brock Nelson), and Daniel Sprong (I think you did a great pickup, could be a solid second liner, even first line winger) are three great young players that are usually traded by AIs in the first year.
Mhm, Andrighetto and Thompson...They could be interesting indeed...but I have no idea where I'd fit them :dunno: Oh well, they are both young...I'll add them to my shortlist and consider them in the future. Thanks for the suggestions!

daart
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Ducks

Post by daart » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:22 am

Just bought EHM, excited to get into it. I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks that can make it an easier start for me.
I think the team I'm going to start with is the Florida Panthers.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:04 am

daart wrote:Just bought EHM, excited to get into it. I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks that can make it an easier start for me.
Welcome to TBL! You should visit the "Game knowledge discussion" thread if you want to learn some things about the game. The guide for EHM 07 is also a nice start since EHM 1 is most likely the same. :)

daart
Learning to skate

Post by daart » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 am

philou21 wrote:
daart wrote:Just bought EHM, excited to get into it. I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks that can make it an easier start for me.
Welcome to TBL! You should visit the "Game knowledge discussion" thread if you want to learn some things about the game. The guide for EHM 07 is also a nice start since EHM 1 is most likely the same. :)
I will definitely check it out, thanks.

braeden
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Canucks

Post by braeden » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Just started off one with the Canucks. Final year of the Sedins, do I plan on bringing them back? :-k

16-9-1 at November 24th, 2017. Sven Baertschi is our leading scorer with 26 points in 26 games.

daart
Learning to skate

Post by daart » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:55 am

Just won the cup in my first year as GM of the Ducks.. Rakell is a beast.

BKarchitect
Fourth Line

Post by BKarchitect » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:16 am

Taking another stab at NHL36 (v2.6) with my hometown Scouts...

Using the Expansion Draft Import file, here is my initial 2017-18 starting roster:

FORWARDS
Austin Wilson - Torrey Mitchell - Brandon Tanev
Jussi Jokinen - Paul Carey - Marcus Sorenson
Troy Brouwer - Oskar Sundqvist - Jordan Nolan
Daniel Carr - Miro Aaltonen - Alex Chiasson
Barclay Goodrow - Domininc Toninato - Phil Di Giuseppe
Thomas Di Pauli - Christoffer Ehn

DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson - Alex Petrovic
Brayden Coburn - Troy Stecher
Petteri Lindbohm - Radek Simek
Jake Walman - Brett Lernout
William Lagesson - Josh Jacobs

GOALIES
Cam Ward - Chad Johnson
David Rittich

- Up front, I have about three lines worth of 3rd/4th liners and a few interesting younger guys. I don't lack for grit or hustle but I'm having a hard time imagining where the offense is going to come from. Perhaps a guy like Jokinen if this were 5 years ago but he is getting very long in the tooth and not the player he once was. Daniel Carr is an interesting fellow - older prospect with a great AHL track record and some scoring touch. Likewise, Di Giuseppe has shown some flashes in Carolina but has yet to do enough to stick at the NHL level. And former Leafs prospect Aaltonen has a bit of flash to his game but it remains to be seen if he can adapt from the KHL to a more rough and physical NHL style.

- Defensively, things look a bit more solid if unspectacular. The veteran trio of Gunnarsson, Petrovic and Coburn gives me a good, reliable foundation to build upon. Sure - none of them are anything more than 4/5/6 defenders on a decent squad but they will be adequete for a brand new club such as the Scouts. Stecher has shown some promise in Vancouver and could lend a bit of offensive pop as could Czech import Simek. Walman is a pretty exciting prospect and listed as my overall #1 prospect in the system while Lernout, Lagesson and Jacobs all look to have some potential down the road.

- In net, expect veterans Ward and Johnson to see a lot of rubber. Ward may be getting old but he brings Stanley Cup experience and leadership and should be the #1 guy this year. Rittich is an interesting prospect who could be close to making his NHL debut.

2017-18 FRONT OFFICE SHAKE-UP

I've installed NHL veteran Lindy Ruff as Head Coach on a 3-year deal. Ruff has plenty of NHL experience and success with the Sabres and Stars and he's tough and will drill this squad into shape. He also won't suffer any fools so we shall see how some of the imports fair under his guidance. Chris Pryor will be assisting me as Assistant GM. The coaching staff is filled out with Bobby Carpenter, John MacLean, Joel Otto and Sam St. Laurent. I love the NHL experience as players that Carpenter, MacLean and Otto bring to the table. They know what it takes to suceed at the NHL level.

2017-18 OFF-SEASON SIGNINGS

With only a 30-man roster to begin with - it is imperative to make some depth signings to fill out the minor league system and to add insurance in case of an injury crisis. With that said, I signed the following players prior to the start of the season:

Forwards: Colin Smith (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - AHL), Austin Cangelosi (Binghamton - AHL), Tyler Kelleher (Norfold - AHL), Tyler Wong (Chicago - AHL), Scott Eansor (Bridgeport - AHL), Mason Marchment (Toronto - AHL), Vladimir Tkachyov (Salavat Ufa - KHL)

Defensemen: Darren Raddysh (Rockford - AHL), Matias Cleland (Toronto - AHL), Artyom Zub (SKA - KHL)

Goalies: Daniel Altshuler (York - USports), Cam Morris (Notre Dame - NCAA)

- Both my KHL imports, Tkachyov and Zub, are expected to see NHL action from day one. Tkachyov brings a crazy level of skill and excitement - if he can adapt to North America, he could be the offensive leader for the Scouts right away. Zub is a non-nonsense defensive-minded blueliner. They rank #3 and #5 on my prospect chart initially. The big prize of the off-season may be netminder Cale Morris though. I had to fight off a lot of other NHL competition to sign the Notre Dame goalie who has big potential as my #1 prospect (surpassing Walman) and should see plenty of action as the starter for the AHL Oklahoma City Blazers. The rest of the signings are long-shots but help me fill out the Blazers' roster. Wong is an interesting guy with a great mental make-up and perhaps he could amount to something down the road.

2017-18 OFF-SEASON TRADES/WAIVERS:

Kansas City trades D Brayden Coburn, LW Jussi Jokinen, RW Alex Chiasson, LW Troy Brouwer, G David Rittich and RW Marcus Sorenson to San Jose for RW Joonas Donskoi, LW Mikkel Bodker, D Brenden Dillon, LW Brandon Bollig, C Tim Clifton and G Troy Grosenick.
- Ahhh the 'ol 6 for 6 swap. In quite a startling shifting of deck chairs, I completed quite an overhaul with the Sharks. Bodker was on the outs in San Jose as the Sharks regretted his contract. He's inconsistent and not physical at all but a speedy and versatile winger. But the main target was Donskoi whom I was surprised to see valued at only 3 stars by the Sharks. While his record of production has not been great - he's fast and skilled and I think I can see him unlocking some untapped upside with a big role in KC. Dillon is a solid physical defender and gives me somebody a bit younger than Coburn. Overall I lost some quality depth and a good goalie prospect in Rittich (Bollig, Clifton and Grosenick are complete non-factors as make-weights in the deal) - but I got faster up front and a bit younger in terms of the main components of the deal.

Kansas City trades LW Daniel Carr to Arizona for LW Jordan Martinook.
- Swap of 25 year-old left winger. Carr is more skilled but with Tkachyov and Bodker in tow now, I didn't really have room for him in my top 6 and wanted a better grinder/defensive type to fill out my bottom 6. Martinook is versatile and can kill penalties.

Kansas City trades LW Barclay Goodrow to Buffalo for C Jacob Josefson and Sabres' 4th round pick in 2018.
- Shifting some depth around - I am sorely lacking with NHL experience at center so while Josefson is nothing special, he can fill a spot in the middle of the ice plus I get a mid-round pick back.

Kansas City claims RW Jesper Fast from NY Rangers off waivers.
- Fast, as his name implies, adds even more speed to the line-up, though he will be best suited for a checking line role as he's not much of an offensive producer.

2017-18 OPENING NIGHT ROSTER:

FORWARDS
Vladimir Tkachyov - Paul Carey - Joonas Donskoi
Mikkel Bodker - Jacob Josefson - Phil Di Giuseppe
Austin Watson - Torrey Mitchell - Jesper Fast
Jordan Martinook - Oskar Sundqvist - Brandon Tanev
Jordan Nolan

DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson - Alex Petrovic
Brendan Dillon - Troy Stecher
Artyom Zub - Radek Simek
Petteri Lindbohm

GOALIES
Cam Ward - Chad Johnson

- I feel like I've added a lot more speed and skill from the original roster and have enough grit with guys like Petrovic, Dillon, Watson and Nolan to keep teams honest. It's not a great roster but I really think Tkachyov and Donskoi could shine with big roles. My main issue is at center ice where I lack creativity and vision...it pains me to have to put guys like Carey and Josefson into top 6 roles and my only hope is that they don't drag down a decent group of wingers with some scoring upside. It'll be a rough initial season but of the 5 new expansion teams, I should easily be able to field the best of the bunch as I've got some firepower now that those other clubs simply don't have. My goal is to compete with the worst of the original 31 clubs - teams like Vancouver, Montreal and Buffalo.

2017-18 TRADE DEADLINE UPDATE:

As of February 23, 2018, the Scouts are sitting about where I predicted in the pre-season...we are by far the best of the "Expanion 5" and in competition with the likes of Vancouver, Detroit and Montreal for the spots right above Quebec, Milwaukee, Saskatchewan and Seattle. I sit in 15th place in the West but only a point behind Vancouver.

I have yet to make any in-season trades but was busy on deadline dy itself. My #1 priority was to find a decent playmaking center with top 6 upside to play with Donskoi and Tkachyov. Those two have been every bit as good as I thought - both should easily pass 30 goals this year but my motly assortment of centers could be preventing them from even bigger things. My #2 priority is to look for bargains - guys with talent and who are still fairly young who just haven't had a breakthrough on their current teams and could potentially be had in a trade. And #3 was simply to stock up on extra picks in the up-coming draft(s).

Kansas City trades C Colin Smith to Vancouver for C Brandon Sutter.
- This was a trade of opportunity as I had the chance to get a decent (if overpaid) NHL forward for basically a career minor leaguer as a salary dump. Sutter is purely a defensive guy and not the type of center I need more of but adding him gives me the flexibility to move another center or even Sutter himself in another deal.

Kansas City trades C Torrey Mitchell, C Jacob Josefson and RW Jordan Nolan to Boston for C Ryan Spooner, RW Noel Acciari and LW Kenny Agostino.
- And there's the deal I was looking to make. Spooner has his warts but is exactly the type of "buy-low" skilled center I was hoping to obtain. He'll add a greatly improved playmaking element to my top line and he's still young enough to get better/bounce back. The cost was solid veteran depth as the trio I am sending to Boston all played regular roles for me while the two other guys coming with Spooner are fringe guys at best but easily worth it.

Kansas City Trades G Cam Ward and C Brandon Sutter to NY Islanders for G Jaroslav Halak, C Casey Cizikas and NY Islanders' 3rd and 4th round picks in 2018.
- For me this deal was mainly about getting a couple of extra picks in the draft. Halak for Ward is basically a wash - both veteran goalies who can start but aren't great at this stage. What made it for the Islanders was that Halak was unhappy while Ward gives them a more stable vet in net for the remainder of the season. Cizikas for Sutter was a swap of checking line centers - Cizikas gets more physically involved so I liked him a bit better anyways. The picks were the main thing though.

Kansas City trades G Chad Johnson, D Radek Simek, D Petteri Lindbohm and C Tim Clifton to Los Angeles for D Paul Ladue, G Jack Campbell, C Andrew Crescenzi and LW Matt Roy.
- I targeted Ladue in this deal because he wasn't getting much run in the Kings' line-up but has some good tools and upside and I think he can play a top 4 role in my defense. Johnson gives the Kings a good veteran backup to Quick while gaining Simek and Lindbohm means they really don't lose any depth on the blueline. Campbell will likely backup Halak in my new-look goalie tandem but hopefully that is short-lived because he's simply not NHL material.

Kansas City trades D Carl Gunnarsson to Winnipeg for Jets' 1st and 2nd round picks in 2018.
- I wasn't looking to deal Gunnarsson specifically as the veteran Swede has easily been my best and most reliable defender but I thought I'd offer him up for picks and the Jets came in with an offer way too good to refuse. Those picks will be late in the round as Winnipeg is a powerhouse looking to win the Cup this season but it's still great value. After dealing contract trouble-maker Trouba to Montreal for Pacrioretty, the Jets were looking for a low-maintanence vet to round out their defense and Gunnarsson fit the bill for them.

2017-18 POST-TRADE DEADLINE ROSTER:

FORWARDS
Vladimir Tkachyov - Ryan Spooner - Joonas Donskoi
Mikkel Bodker - Case Cizikas - Phil Di Giuseppe
Austin Watson - Paul Carey - Jesper Fast
Jordan Martinook - Oskar Sundqvist - Brandon Tanev
Noel Acciari

DEFENSEMEN
Jake Walman - Alex Petrovic
Brendan Dillon - Paul Ladue
Artyom Zub - Troy Stecher
William Lagesson

GOALIES
Jaroslav Halak - Jack Campbell

- Squad goals for the remainder of the season include developing some chemsitry with my new top line, continuing to integrate some younger guys into the line-up now that I've dealt away a bunch of veteran depth (Walman has been quite impressive in around 15 games in the NHL thus far) and ultimately, trying to beat at least one of the "Original 31" in the standings. And hopefully then having good luck at the draft lotto!

2017-18 NOTABLE TRADES AROUND THE NHL:

I'll forgo the minor deals here and try to put some focus on major league-wide happenings:

Ottawa trades C Matt Duchene to Nashville for D Alexandre Carrier and rights to D Jacob Paquette
- Hilarious! After obtaining Turris in the 3-way deal with Ottawa and Colorado, Nashville went ahead and added the other major piece in Duchene to their line-up! With the Sens tanking in the standings and looking at a long-term rebuild, they didn't hesitate to send Duchene packing. Carrier is a nice young defender but this seems to be a huge net loss for Ottawa when looking at what they gave up for Duchene in the first place. With Johansen and Turris already at center, we could see the Preds move Duchene to RW to add more firepower to an already impressive line-up.

Ottawa trades C Derrick Brassard to Colorado for LW A.J. Greer and rights to C Igor Shvyrov
- And here the Sens are dealing with the Avs again - this time trading away their other top center in Brassard who will solidify the #2 center spot in Denver behind MacKinnon. Greer is a rough-and-tumble young forward who the Sens can plug in right away while Shvyrov is a talented wild card playing in the KHL. Still - no Turris, no Duchene and no Brassard for Ottawa and they probably didn't get a true blue-chip prospect out of the entire ordeal. Sens fans are irate!

Montreal trades D Shea Weber to Anaheim for D Marcus Pettersson, rights to C Maxime Comtois and Ducks' 2nd and 4th round picks in 2018.
- The Habs, like the Sens, are completely tanking and Weber was the first major piece they moved. He's getting older but WOW...what a defense the Ducks will have heading into the playoffs with Weber, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Montour. That is just flat-out scary good. Pettersson has some upside for Montreal and likely will be plugged in to their blueline right away while the hard-working Comtois is a recent 2nd round pick - he's a young Francophone center prospect which fits the bill in Montreal. Not a great haul for the Habs but they got a couple decent young pieces.

Vancouver trades D Erik Gudbranson to Pittsburgh for rights to D Clayton Phillips.
- Some rugged reinforcement for the Pens' blueline for the playoffs.

NY Islanders trade D Calvin de Haan to Winnipeg for rights to G Mikhail Berdin.
- For Winnipeg, the addition of the solid de Haan portends another deadline day move listed below. CDH was not willing to re-sign in New York so the Islanders got a good goalie prospect to add to their imrpessive goalie prospect stable.

Montreal trades LW Max Pacioretty to Winnipeg for D Jacob Trouba.
- Trouba had let Winnipeg know that he was looking for big bucks and Winnipeg was not looking to invest that much so they dealt him to Montreal and added Habs captain and perennial 30+ goal scorer Max Pacioretty in the process. MaxPac joins an already deadly Winnipeg offense featuring the likes of Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Little, Connor and Perreault while having already obtained de Haan (and to a lesser extent, Gunnarsson) - the Jets had addressed the blueline hole Trouba would leave. As for the Habs - their fans rejoiced as he is exactly the type of blueline building block that franchise needed, especially after dealing Weber. The Habs immediately re-signed Trouba to a 6-year extension worth $7.75 million per year. Big trade for both teams here!

Buffalo trades LW Evander Kane to San Jose for D Jeremy Roy and rights to D Mario Ferraro.
- Kane was known to be a malcontent in Buffalo but for a Sharks squad that is in contention and lacking offensive firepower, he was the perfect deadline pickup. The cost was a pair of young blueliners, both 2nd round draft picks with good potential for the rebuilding Sabres.

Detroit trades D Mike Green and rights to D Jordan Sambrook to Toronto for RW Kasperi Kapanen, D Rinat Valiev and the Leafs' 1st round pick in 2018.
- The impressive Leafs get their precious RHD upgrade with the veteran Green, who is still excellent offensively and who will take a bunch of pressure of their young blueline star Morgan Rielly. The rebuilding Wings get a good return with Kapanen plugging right into their line-up and having top 6 upside and a valuable 1st round pick.

Edmonton trades LW Pat Maroon to Washington for C Tobias Geisser and rights to D Benton Maas.
- The burly Maroon was not re-signing in Edmonton so the Oilers got what they could for him. He'll be a nice addition to the Caps in their title run. The bigger piece in the return for Edmonton is New Hampshire blueliner Maas who is having an impressive freshman season in Hockey East.

Vancouver trades RW Thomas Vanek to Los Angeles for rights to G Matt Villalta, Kings' 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks in 2018.
- Vanek is still a dangerous offensive player and a logical pick-up at the deadline for the contending Kings. The Canucks...well, they suck right now so a bunch of extra picks look really good.

BKarchitect
Fourth Line

Post by BKarchitect » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 am

Final 2017-18 Standings
- In the East, the Bruins disappointed by missing the playoffs and Nashville barely squeezed in - but overall things played pretty well to form with Quebec at the bottom and teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal and Detroit struggling. The Rangers were quite a huge surprise at the top though.
- Out West, the Golden Knights fell just short of the playoffs and the Blackhawks took a tumble but again, things played out pretty well to form. The Scouts did manage to finish higher than the Canucks, making my dream of beating an "Original 31" team in my first season a reality (also beat Ottawa, Montreal and Detroit)!

Scoring Leaders
- Auston Matthews is your Art Ross winner with 93 points.
- Ovechkin picks up another Richard Trophy with 54 goals. Matthews and Tarasenko tied for 2nd with 47 goals.
- Nikolaj Ehlers led all skaters at a +50 and put up 80 points to boot.

Defensive Leaders (Average Rating)
- Morgan Rielly (68 points) and Victor Hedman (62 points) were your defensive scoring leaders.
- Mike Green led all blueliners with 18 goals.
- Outside Thomas Hickey who put in crazy work for the expansion Totems at 26 minutes per game, the top TOI guys were Hjalmarsson and OEL in Arizona, Ekblad in Florida and Keith in Chicago.
- Brandon Montour in Anaheim and Josh Morrissey in Winnipeg tied for the lead in +/- at +38.

Goalie Leaders (Wins)
- Big seasons from Schneider who led the NHL in wins, was 2nd in GAA, 2nd in SV% and led in shutouts and Bobrovsky who was 2nd in wins, 1st in GAA and 3rd in SV%.
- Crawford was right there with them but missed a bunch of games due to injury.

Rookie Scoring Leaders
- My boy Tkachyov should be the run-away Calder winner with his historic 82 point rookie campaign.
- Hischier and Bratt should give New Jersey a bright future.
- Boeser and Bratt tied for the rookie goal-scoring lead at 34.
- Chabot led rookie blueliners with 54 points while McAvoy led all rookie in TOI at over 24 minutes per game.
- Biggest surprise? Probably Compher's 30 goal season.

Kansas City Scouts Final Stats
- Brilliance from Donskoi and Tkachyov who were one of the NHL's most dynamic duos all year.
- Spooner's 49 points is deceiving; after being obtained by KC, he was FIRE on the type line with Donskoi and Tkachyov, scoring 12 goals and 30 points in only 24 games.
- Walman was impressive on the blueline after being called up at the mid-point of the season.
- I need to add scoring depth for sure; besides Boddker's 55 points and PDG's 20 goals (in 62 injury-plagued games), nobody outside the top line was much of a threat.

Grentroz
Junior League

Post by Grentroz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Soooo, second season is over.

Up until Xmas, I was sure I would give Philou a run for his money and have the worst second year by a Habs team. We were standing 15th in the East with a under 0.500 record...it was pathetic. I had given up on the season and was hoping for a high draft pick. BUT NO, the guys said "Hey, the season started! Let's get some wins". So, they started winning and with 81 games played, I was tied with Boston for 8th place. Boston played their 82nd game in the afternoon and got a OT loss. I HAD TO WIN...and WE DID!!!

Playoff time baby for the second year in a row. Full of confidence, I head into the playoff without looking who the opponent was. All that confidence ran away faster that McDavid can skate. It was the Washington Capitals. We improved on last year record and lost in 5 ](*,)

Toronto and Vancouver were the Cup contenders and Vancouver won in 4. Never thought this would be possible with the Twins on the lineup :razz:

End of season stats :

Most points : Drouin at 81
Best +/- : Drouin at +22
Worst +/- : Scherbak at -29 (OUCH)

Price had a 37-22-5 record with a 2.74 GAA and a 0.905 SV%

Trades and Free agents events :
Markus Grandlund from the FA. If he doesn't ask TOO much, I might resign him
Nikita Zadorov from waivers outta Colorado

That's all...might explain the bad season :-D

so, here I am, nearly at the draft and FA season. Stay tuned for a new update right before season 3

Rono
Junior League

Post by Rono » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm in 2105. If you want any screenshots, tell me.

uknownick
Junior League

Post by uknownick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Grentroz wrote:Started with Montreal Canadiens. This being my first season, fans weren't super happy to see me land the job. Are they ever happy to see a new GM anyway? Do note I play with the stats out of 100. They speak more to me than those out of 20. So, here's a quick (maybe not so quick) overview of my first season :

What did you do with Nielsen's contract? It was a mind boggling move for me to trade for him and his big contract... In all my Red Wings saves, Nielsen is the first to go out of the door for picks...

uknownick
Junior League

Post by uknownick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Florida is a great choice. You have three/four good young forwards in Barkov and co, and two good young defensemen Ekblad (depending on the PA he gets, he can be as good as Hedman or Doughty with 180+ PA) and Matheson. Yandle is a little old but he is a solid 1B or 2A. You need help in goalie, second line forwards (Trochek could be a solid second line center), second pairing defensemen and a good headcoach. The scouting department needs to be improved and assistant coaches should be cleaned house. The good thing is your young players are signed to good cap-friendly contracts and you have a decent size stadium. With the right moves, you should be looking at playoff berth in year 1 or 2, and competing for the cup in year 3. In my save, I went to the Playoffs as the number 3 seed in the East in year 1 but got swept in the first round because my goalie Luongo just declined too much to hold his own in the net. Goalie is a position that definitely needs help. James Reimer is a backup material but not number 1.

If you like young teams, there are also Avalanche, Canucks, and Buffalo available. They all have great forwards core (top 6) but need some help in defense. I have won Stanley Cups with Avalanche and Buffalo (with an improved defense through trades) both in year 1 (Eichel and Mackinnon are beasts).

Grentroz
Junior League

Post by Grentroz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 pm

uknownick wrote: What did you do with Nielsen's contract? It was a mind boggling move for me to trade for him and his big contract... In all my Red Wings saves, Nielsen is the first to go out of the door for picks...
Kept him in the line-up for the first season. But for the second, he was a replacement for injuries. Now, I wanna trade him...anywhere honestly...for anything. If I can't get rid of him by the first game of the third season, I'll waiver him to send him down to the AHL. If I lose him, meh, ain't care. But yeah, he taught me one good darn lesson : Check the darn contracts before trading for someone ](*,)

EDIT rather than make a new post :

I ended up sending Nielsen to Laval. 5 millions in the AHL. Great management here!!

Not much happened in the summer. Signer Jordan Eberle (He's my favorite player) and currently trying to sign Tyler Seguin. I think I made over 20 offers to him during the summer. Kinda surprised he hasn't simply banned me from contacting him :-D
Otherwise, I got rid of Schlemko and Alzner for prospects and draft picks.

Drafted :
Ryan Suzuki (1st round, 17th total - Center)
Jack Hale (3rd round, 79th total - RW)
Linus Nassen (4th round, 110th total - Forward)
Milos Koblisek (6th round, 162nd total - Center - Traded his rights to NJ)
Andrei Pavlenko (7th round, 203rd total - RW)

Time to see where this 3rd season will lead me

uknownick
Junior League

Post by uknownick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Grentroz wrote:
uknownick wrote: What did you do with Nielsen's contract? It was a mind boggling move for me to trade for him and his big contract... In all my Red Wings saves, Nielsen is the first to go out of the door for picks...
Kept him in the line-up for the first season. But for the second, he was a replacement for injuries. Now, I wanna trade him...anywhere honestly...for anything. If I can't get rid of him by the first game of the third season, I'll waiver him to send him down to the AHL. If I lose him, meh, ain't care. But yeah, he taught me one good darn lesson : Check the darn contracts before trading for someone ](*,)

EDIT rather than make a new post :

I ended up sending Nielsen to Laval. 5 millions in the AHL. Great management here!!

Not much happened in the summer. Signer Jordan Eberle (He's my favorite player) and currently trying to sign Tyler Seguin. I think I made over 20 offers to him during the summer. Kinda surprised he hasn't simply banned me from contacting him :-D
Otherwise, I got rid of Schlemko and Alzner for prospects and draft picks.

Drafted :
Ryan Suzuki (1st round, 17th total - Center)
Jack Hale (3rd round, 79th total - RW)
Linus Nassen (4th round, 110th total - Forward)
Milos Koblisek (6th round, 162nd total - Center - Traded his rights to NJ)
Andrei Pavlenko (7th round, 203rd total - RW)

Time to see where this 3rd season will lead me
Are you the only team who is in play with Seguin? I got him for 7.5M a year with a 7 year contract in early September 2019 (a two months long negotiation). He was asking for 10M a year initially but I was able to bargain it down with a consistent and constant effort. Many big name free agents were left unsigned because they are asking more than what the AI teams can afford... I also grabbed Blake Wheeler at 5M a year on a one year deal as well. AI teams will come into play in later September/early October and make offers to these free agents. Just be mindful about that.

Return to “General EHM Chat”