How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

Rosters Forum: Discussion relating to all database and roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.
philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by philou21 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Islanders are third with that record? Dang. :-D

So. New DB means new game. I started unemployed like most of my last saves. This time I checked more leagues to give me more options. I applied for a job in an US junior league that I forgot the name. Will see where it leads me!

Rono
Prospect

Post by Rono » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm

philou21 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Islanders are third with that record? Dang. :-D
My Flyers were first. 8-) :-D

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Rono wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm
My Flyers were first.
Who's the other powerhouse in the East?

Rono
Prospect

Post by Rono » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

No one. Second was a first team from Atlantic division. It's system. :-D

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 am

Ah yeah right. :doh:

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

After simming a whole season without finding a job. I found one in July with Yale! I've never played in those leagues before so it's going to be something new for me.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:55 am

Can't say my first season with Yale was that fun. :D It's a pretty boring league overall. Finished 4th, lost my first playoffs game so I'm out. On the plus side I had a complete roster compared to alot of the other teams. :D

Rigafan
Junior League
Favourite Team: Dinamo Riga

Post by Rigafan » Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm playing EHM 2004

I started with Manchester Phoenix, it was either them or London but I went with Manchester as they are playing at the MEN Arena in 2004 season so I have a 17,000 seat arena (my highest attendance was just over 3,000 all season)

I battle back and forth with London Racers all season, they are literally unstoppable. It finished

1. London Racers 56 - w 44 l 10 tie 2 90 pts
2. Manchester ME 56 - w 38 l 13 tie 5 81 pts

They win the League (most important thing in UK rather than the Playoffs) but I win the League Cup AND the Playoffs =D

I start the season with a £220,000 wage budget, around middle of the pack compared to others.

New season just rolls in. I sign a lot of guys to extensions and bring in some good British players to bolster the lines. HC Plzen sign one of my British players, Jason Hewitt for £60,000 cash!

Board comes back to me.. .£150,000 wage budget for the new season :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: Typical British hockey!! I might dump them and take a new job. Freshly promoted team in France and Norway, Job in Czech league and a few others. I feel absolutely stabbed in the back!!

Rigafan
Junior League
Favourite Team: Dinamo Riga

Post by Rigafan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm

EHM 2004

So I finished my 4 year with Manchester Phoenix in the UK EIHL.

I won the EIHL League Cup 3 years, Won 3 Playoffs and 2 League titles.

In my final season I had a star studded roster. 9 Team GB players, 1 Team Finland Player and 1 Team Canada Player oh and 1 Team Belarus player.

I was WAY over budget and the team lost around -£300k by the end of the season but the board and fans were loving it.

I had Ruslan Salei in D. Alex Tanguay on the wing. Tanguay absolutely tore up the league. He finished with 96 points in 56 games, average rating of 8.27!

New season starting and I managed to keep Salei and my team GB core and my Team Finland winger. I let Steve Shields (my goalie who I signed when his Florida Panthers contract ran out) go to drop my wage budget. Ultimiately though I resigned. I'd done everything I could. I raised their profile, won all the cups I could win and even have them sitting at a respectable 4000+ average attendance.

I've gotten a jon in the Danish league with IK Sonderyall (sp?)

Also Alex Ovechkin has not yet joined the NHL. He was drafted 1st by San Jose but was with Dynamo Moscow, he complained he wanted a stronger team and joined Ufa, he's been with them for 2 years now, earning around £200,000 per year :thup:

Tasku
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: W-WPoTBLfaSaD
Favourite Team: WSH Capitals

Post by Tasku » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Playing my first game in a long while. Took control of the ECHL team Norfolk Admirals. Picked them, because I've kinda gotten to know them back when I was writing the Sainio story, where Toni played for Norfold for a short while. Checked out the town and home arena on Google Earth back then, so I feel they are the most familiar to me out of all the ECHL teams. Didn't want to play the NHL again. Too demanding. I'm in the mood for something easy to manage. Approached to sign a whole lot of players with high mentals, because most of the players who would sign with me had very little in technicals. We'll see if any of them will sign with me, or go to the AHL or Tsekhopstan, or where ever... :roll:

Tasku
TBL Admin Team

Post by Tasku » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm happy to have signed Mike Cammalleri. He offered his services and no one else approached him. He's very good for the ECHL level. He'll score me a ton of goals! 8-)

Tasku
TBL Admin Team

Post by Tasku » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Everyone wants to be a key player, or they won't sign with me. I can't have a team full of key players! ](*,)

Rono
Prospect

Post by Rono » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm in 2163. I'm GM of Quebec Nordiques now (they moved from Atlanta via Florida in about 2125). We won Stanley Cup in 2162, first in our franchise history!

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Rono wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 pm
I'm in 2163. I'm GM of Quebec Nordiques now (they moved from Atlanta via Florida in about 2125). We won Stanley Cup in 2162, first in our franchise history!
That's a long time to wait for their first cup! :-D

Filip Croatia
Minor League

Post by Filip Croatia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 am

Is it possible for Arena to get expanded ? I would swear that I saw one guy here posting screenshoot who's Arena got expanded in 2060-ish in SHL (he played with HV71 I think)

Knoeppel
Prospect

Post by Knoeppel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 am

The team has to own the arena for it to be expanded. If you go to the teampage and look under info. There you can see the info about the arena. It will say either rented och owned.

I think it´s possible for a team to buy their arena in EHM, but i am not sure. And i have never seen an NHL-team do it.

EDIT
And what do you say.. After winning the cup with my Sharks, thus finally awarding Thornton with it´s glory, my team bought the arena.
So it´s confirmed. NHL-teams also buy their arena.

TurboJ
Prospect
Favourite Team: TPS

Post by TurboJ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Second time attempt of building an NHL dynasty with the Detroit Red Wings. I seem to be drawn to the original six and I like this franchise's history.

Anyhow, I took a different approach than the last time. Last time I succeeded very well by focusing on getting the best possible results from the very beginning. Built my dynasty around veteran stars poached from the free agency while getting rid of all the bad contracts. Both times started with the 2017-18 TBL roster.

With my new approach I tried tanking for the first time. Kept a couple of those bad contracts and traded most of my best players away for early first rounders etc.

Things are working well as I managed to get five top prospects NHL ready by year two, and at year four I've already snatched back to back Stanley Cups.

Now I have a bit of a problem though. I have five young players with the capacity of becoming franhcise players or at the very least, top line star players. On year five, four of those young guns are at the end of their entry level contracts.

I haven't played this way before so I've never had this one big bunch of expiring entry level stars. Needless to say I will be hard pressed to keep things under the cap re-signing these guys. To add to the problem I also have two other star players who are getting paid star player money. Will be interesting to see how things work out. The biggest issue is I don't yet know which of these young stars have the highest ceiling and the best year-to-year consistency.

Regarding this situation, I would like to ask for your comments. I'm not sure if I can keep both of my young centers around. But good 1st line centers on NHL level are rare, especially young ones. Trouble is, it would make things difficult overall if I tried to keep both around because neither is a good player defensively. So I will need other players for penalty killing anyway.

The funny thing is that the "less talented" center posted 76,96,108 points in his first three NHL seasons, all before reaching 23 years of age. At 22 y/o he's now on his third year playing 1st line and 1st PP. But it looks like he's reached his ceiling which isn't actually franchise player level. Yet offensively he's very good in relation to his atts. Since the game evaluates the monetary value of a player based on his point production too and not just his skill level, this guy might well end up costing more than he's worth in the long run. His PPG numbers are also dropping somewhat on his fourth year.

Meanwhile, the 1 year younger center who's been playing 2nd line and 2nd PP the last two years is growing fast. Offensively he's going to be a powerhouse and already posting 1.4 PPG playing the second line. Problem is it looks like this player will never be able to play a defensive game. While he has light green offensives, some of his defensives are actually in the red! So he would be an ideal second line center as then he'd not have to worry about defensive responsibility as much. But this guy will still become very expensive as I've no doubt he will reach the franchise player status in the next few years.

If I try to keep both of these guys, I will have to drop a lot of other talent. Then again, great centers are valuable. But these guys will not carry much defensive weight which would make the investment even harder to justify. Furthermore, the 22 y/o might struggle to maintain his position as #1 since it seems his ceiling is lower. Both are labeled as playmakers which I rate highly. But both players will be expensive to keep, totaling around 18 million per, in the long run I imagine.

So, ditch one of these for early picks, or strip some of the rest of the team in favor of keeping both? Mind you, I also have three franchise level wingers and one D-man, so it's gonna be a tough decision on whom to ditch. In any case, someone has to go.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Keep the centers and ditch a winger.
Centre is a lot more important position. You can get good result with lesser wingers

johnnydrum
Junior League
Favourite Team: Washington Capitals

Post by johnnydrum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Hiya All.
Greetings from the UK.
Just returned to EHM after trying out FHM.
The FHM had some nice touches (the built in Editor in Commissioner mode was an excellent idea) but contrary to popular opinion, the game for me lacked depth.
Also, as bad (and as out dated as EHM s 2D game highlights are, FHM are even worse (yet hardly anyone seemed to be phazed by this, so it could be "just me")
Any way, I reloaded EHM up, subscribed to an outstanding 2019-20 Roster Update and splendid Face Pack), and hey presto.... New Game!
Lifelong Caps fan, but playing in the SEL just to have a change.
Would love to hear from any people that are still using EHM, so please do say "hi"

TurboJ
Prospect

Post by TurboJ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Board limiting salary offers is a real bugger. Especially as the AI can sign players for more. I just went into arbitration the first time ever because player wants 11.8 mill, and the board will not allow more than 9.9. Arbiter then signs him for one lousy year at 12.8 mill! Is there still no way to alter the rules about how the board limits you? If AI is paying players 12 mill a year I want to be able to, too. Yes, this is one of the classic cases where the player will not sign before his contract runs out, will not, no matter what.

So, I would like to be limited by the leagues salary rules and not the board. Any way to achieve this?

TurboJ
Prospect

Post by TurboJ » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:16 am

How did I get a surprise 2 million cap penalty? I've not done any buy-outs at all. Can I see somewhere what the cause is for the penalty and can I see for how long it will be in effect?

Saapas
Checking Line
Favourite Team: RoKi

Post by Saapas » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 am

I think you should see it somewhere in the Finance tabs :-k

Saapas
Checking Line
Favourite Team: RoKi

Post by Saapas » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:56 pm

I started playing again after a long pause and my goal was to make Kiekko-Espoo great team. 1st season on Suomi-Sarja I finished 1st and got promoted to Mestis. 2nd season my team was ranked second to last and I ended up winning the league and got promoted to Liiga. After 10 games played with the lowest budget on the whole league I'm sitting at 11/15 with a team that should not be getting any points during the season :-D

(Playing with a custom db with relegation games in Liiga)

TurboJ
Prospect

Post by TurboJ » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 am

TurboJ wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 pm
Board limiting salary offers is a real bugger. Especially as the AI can sign players for more. I just went into arbitration the first time ever because player wants 11.8 mill, and the board will not allow more than 9.9. Arbiter then signs him for one lousy year at 12.8 mill! Is there still no way to alter the rules about how the board limits you? If AI is paying players 12 mill a year I want to be able to, too. Yes, this is one of the classic cases where the player will not sign before his contract runs out, will not, no matter what.
Well, this star player has now disliked me for 5 years straight, and is unwilling to re-sign because he's "unhappy with his boss". And all I wanted to do originally was to pay him what he wanted. But game did not allow me to.

Anyway, Red Wings dynasty is going strong with 9 consecutive Stanley Cups won, without much cheese at all. Now the problem is how to keep this star forward even though he dislikes me and won't sign due to that. He's literally the best forward I've had in my 1000+ hours of gameplay... Averaging nearly 9 avg rating for his entire career and pretty much scores 100+ points every season he gets at least 75 games in.

Is there a way to edit some file to remove that 'dislike' flag? I wouldn't consider it cheating because it was the game stopping me from giving him what he wanted and not me or NHL rules. Any ideas are most welcome. I always like to play my dynasties based on the same core of players so I'd really hate to lose this one.

Without some smart idea my only hope is once he hits UFA he'll want 15 million until October so nobody else will sign him. Then I might stand a chance as the guy actually enjoys playing at my team and calls it his favourite club....
Or perhaps if someone did sign him for a multi-year contract, maybe I could trade him back from that team. I have the pawns to make that possibly happen. But what will this player think if he's back again and still disliking me?

Rono
Prospect

Post by Rono » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 am

I'm in 2174!

Return to “General EHM Chat”