Feedback on the simulation

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

Rosters Forum: Discussion relating to all database and roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Feedback on the simulation

Post by archibalduk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Please use this thread to give any feedback about the game engine / stats -related aspects of EHM:EA. The game has much improved NHL scoring levels, it seems smaller players play better now and the defensive side of the game has more value in game. However, what do you think? Do you think anything extra needs tweaking? What about PIM levels?

drewst18
Minor League

Re: Feedback on the simulation

Post by drewst18 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

I guess this could go here or in bug (if better in bug please move)

After a penalty faceoff was in the defensive neutral zone despite not icing the puck. Nothing big just a little small note.

TopeHabFan
Junior League

Post by TopeHabFan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Granted, I lost Price and Tokarski in games 1 and 2 so I'm stuck with porous goaltending, but I'm not convinced so far that scoring is down :-p

Merla
Junior League

Post by Merla » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 pm

TopeHabFan wrote:
Granted, I lost Price and Tokarski in games 1 and 2 so I'm stuck with porous goaltending, but I'm not convinced so far that scoring is down :-p
Agreed, unfortunately.

Simulated a season and looked at Avalanches results, f.e... They had a 12-1 win, 9-0 loss and several games where they either scored or conceded 7+ goals. So that could use some work.
Also, too many players average more than 1 PPG. Only 5 players do this irl (and they are about 1.00PPG).. In this simulated season Ovechkin had 130 points, Backstrom 120 points and then several players had 90+ points.
Not sure about offensive d-men though. Erik Karlsson only had 28 points (despite having lots of 20's in f.e. Slapshot, Passing, Off the Puck etc).

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Merla wrote:
TopeHabFan wrote:
Agreed, unfortunately.

Simulated a season and looked at Avalanches results, f.e... They had a 12-1 win, 9-0 loss and several games where they either scored or conceded 7+ goals. So that could use some work.
Also, too many players average more than 1 PPG. Only 5 players do this irl (and they are about 1.00PPG).. In this simulated season Ovechkin had 130 points, Backstrom 120 points and then several players had 90+ points.
Not sure about offensive d-men though. Erik Karlsson only had 28 points (despite having lots of 20's in f.e. Slapshot, Passing, Off the Puck etc).
Out of curiosity, did you sim the NHL as Enhanced or View Only?

Daelh
Drafted

Post by Daelh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 am

I wonder the same thing. In my game the players are nowhere near 130 points per season. My best scorer with Ottawa has 25 points in 31 games. On 07 that number would probably have been at least 40 if you know anything about the game. However, both Lehner and Anderson are .925, which was almost impossible in 07.

I have however found one annoying thing. The schedule seems to be a little bit of. Right now Sabres has played 42 games whereas Rangers has played 31(!). I have played 33 and most of the other teams are between 36 and 39. I also saw my friend had games for days in a row, then 1 day off and then another back to back. So 6 games in 7 days.

dave1927p
First Line
Favourite Team: Toronto (NHL), Hamilton (OHL),

Post by dave1927p » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 am

I'm only 2 seasons in, but one of the most irritating things of EHM07 for me was that players would never retire as they would not regress fast enough. Has anyone noticed if the goalie development arcs has been improved?

I have 10 goalies in season 2 who have played more than 70 games in one nhl season. 15 playing more than 68. Goalies playing too many games was an issue in 07 as well, in a season to season and in a career.

AESP_pres
Learning to skate

Post by AESP_pres » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:50 am

Played a little bit today and from what I've seen I can't complain. Just one game with many goals, but I guess sending Tokarski against the Rangers wasn't the brightest idea :roll:

Anyway what is important is to see the game back... I was sure happy to get that email today :-D

Xvash2
Prospect

Post by Xvash2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:21 am

After my first sim:
-Why do my goalies always get sent to Grand Rapids for no reason during pre-season games? We can stop this or have some way to turn whatever rule does this off?
-There is no real-time clock speed. The slowest clock speed still runs twice as fast. Would like a real-time clock speed option.
-Real time action speed should be "medium", currently seems to be "slow." In addition, slow action speed seems to run at like 15 or 20fps in the game view which is far from smooth at all. Makes the action look bad.
-Automatic in-game number assignment to call-ups/prospects in for training camp does not respect retired jersey numbers.

Merla
Junior League

Post by Merla » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 am

archibalduk wrote:
Merla wrote:
TopeHabFan wrote:
Agreed, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, did you sim the NHL as Enhanced or View Only?
Enhanced!

Im simulating the third season as I write this and there are 4 players with above 50 points in 35 games, so most likely they will finish around 100+ points. Quite surprising players as well (Semin, Skinner, Bodker, Drouin and Gallagher). Semin has 59 points in 35 games (28+31).
Ovechkin has won the Art Ross Trophy the previous two seasons with 130 points, 114 points and this season he has been injured, but still has an impressive 25 goals in 28 games (41 points).

Maybe I just had an extraordinary first season. Highest scoring game was last season a 12-3 away win (2-7 in the final period!). Although I'm unsure this could happen in real life, there were tons of games where the winning team scored 10+ goals which is very unlikely.

But I will simulate some more seasons and games. :) Btw, the scoring in the Swedish leagues seem close to perfect! Loving the game!

ccaskey
Junior League
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by ccaskey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:14 am

I thought the scoring was a bit high, I put it down to exhibition games. Now I've played a couple of games, I'm not too sure

paul4587
Junior League

Post by paul4587 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 am

A few observations regarding simulation so far:

- Defensemen don't create their own offence. Karlsson on the Sens puts up 25-35 points per season because they don't have a high scoring forward group. I went and put him on the Caps and he jumped to 53 points (still way too low btw) due to having better offensive players on the team. Guys like Karlsson, Subban and Giordano are going to put up huge numbers regardless of their teammates, they drive the play offensively with their breakout ability and vision. Offensive defensemen have more impact on forwards production compared to the other way around.
- Line mates influence production too much. Pat Maroon on the 3rd line of Anaheim for me put up 25 points. On the 1st line he put up 66. Playing with Getzlaf and Perry and getting additional ice time should boost ones production but it shouldn't be to the tune of 41 points. Whoever is on Crosby's wing and Ovi/Backstrom's wing has always ended up top 15 in scoring for me as well. They should see boosts in production but it should not turn them from 40 point guys to 70 point guys.
- Goalies workloads are too high. Starters play 70+ games. It seems the AI coaches pick the goalie with the higher CA and ride them into the ground workload wise. Goalie usage should be based somewhat on form and guys should be able to get hot and steal starting roles just like in real life.
- Is it just me or is there no auto sim feature? I was going to try to sim a few seasons to see what other issues I can find but have had to do everything manually so far.

I'll post the bugs I've found in that thread later. I love how the attribute progression and development has been overhauled but unfortunately there are still simulation issues from 2007 that still exist.

Has anybody had much experience with offering contracts yet? Do players always just accept 1-2 year extensions like in 2007 or do they ask for term like what is happening in real life at the moment?

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 am

Nice feedback. :thup: Something we need to factor into all of this is that we still need to setup the Player Roles for players via the database. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has once this work has been done on the TBL Rosters.

Alessandro
Olympic Gold
Custom Rank: TBL Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Team Russia
WHL Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Alessandro » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 am

paul4587 wrote:A few observations regarding simulation so far:

- Defensemen don't create their own offence. Karlsson on the Sens puts up 25-35 points per season because they don't have a high scoring forward group. I went and put him on the Caps and he jumped to 53 points (still way too low btw) due to having better offensive players on the team. Guys like Karlsson, Subban and Giordano are going to put up huge numbers regardless of their teammates, they drive the play offensively with their breakout ability and vision. Offensive defensemen have more impact on forwards production compared to the other way around.
- Line mates influence production too much. Pat Maroon on the 3rd line of Anaheim for me put up 25 points. On the 1st line he put up 66. Playing with Getzlaf and Perry and getting additional ice time should boost ones production but it shouldn't be to the tune of 41 points. Whoever is on Crosby's wing and Ovi/Backstrom's wing has always ended up top 15 in scoring for me as well. They should see boosts in production but it should not turn them from 40 point guys to 70 point guys.
- Goalies workloads are too high. Starters play 70+ games. It seems the AI coaches pick the goalie with the higher CA and ride them into the ground workload wise. Goalie usage should be based somewhat on form and guys should be able to get hot and steal starting roles just like in real life.
- Is it just me or is there no auto sim feature? I was going to try to sim a few seasons to see what other issues I can find but have had to do everything manually so far.

I'll post the bugs I've found in that thread later. I love how the attribute progression and development has been overhauled but unfortunately there are still simulation issues from 2007 that still exist.

Has anybody had much experience with offering contracts yet? Do players always just accept 1-2 year extensions like in 2007 or do they ask for term like what is happening in real life at the moment?
You should post this stuff on the SIGames forums

Daelh
Drafted

Post by Daelh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am

I just finished my 1st season and I can say that Ovechkin was the only player reached 100 points and won the Art Ross with 100 points. 6 players was 1.00PPG or higher, pretty realistic. However, as someone pointed out. Defencemen score to few points, Karlsson had the most points by defencemen in the league with 55 and I played him 27 minutes per game with all PP lines. Only two defencemen over 50 points. For goalies, pretty realistic to. 2 goalies with .930 and 5 with .920 save percentage.

Daelh
Drafted

Post by Daelh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 am

Also, I se the problem with teams not signing their high end prospects in time before they lose their rights after 2 seasons still exist. Zykov, Duclair and Domi just went UFA in May.

SwiX
Junior League

Post by SwiX » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am

I've just completed the first season with my beloved Minnesota Wild and this game feels great! =D>

Minnesota Wild finished first in the Western Conference with 105 points while Boston Bruins finished first in East and earning the Presidents trophy with 118 points.
The Stanley Cup final was played between Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens with Montreal as winner(4-2).
Evgeni Malkin finished first in points 96(36+60) points and Max Pacioretty scored 46 goals earning him the Rocket Richard trophy.
No major trades where done except Eric Staal went to the NJD for Damon Severson and Martin St.Louis joining the Wild for the rights to Louis Belpodino 4th round pick and a 7th round pick after he was put on the block.

No player scored more than 4 goals in a game and no one scored more than 5 points in a game.
13 goalies played 70 games or more. 74 was the highest.
Biggest win was 8-1.

paul4587
Junior League

Post by paul4587 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 am

Alessandro wrote:
paul4587 wrote:A few observations regarding simulation so far:

You should post this stuff on the SIGames forums
I don't have an account on those forums but when I get some spare time to register I'll post it.

bourboncream
Junior League

Post by bourboncream » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Im what 12 games in and as such its a small barometer, but there are goals around... not a major boost from the NHL but still noticable at times in the result listing.

18 teams are averaging 3.00 or better
2 are averaging 4.00 or better

Ive seen a 10-1 lots of other games with 9/10 goals +

I mean its not the hammerings, but there are lots of close matches that are 5-4, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 etc and I think thats what is bumping the stat up in my league right now.

This is my scores right now:

0-2
4-2
2-3
4-2
6-4
2-3
5-8
3-2
3-2
6-1
5-1
6-3
4-2
3-1

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Too many goals come from the blueline (especially right on the faceoff) without anyone deflecting, and on that, not enough goals on deflections are 2 things i have noticed so far...

dave1927p
First Line
Favourite Team: Toronto (NHL), Hamilton (OHL),

Post by dave1927p » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:17 pm

I really hope we can see the up/down (and often out) career of goalies portrayed in EHM. Consistency from a game to game and season to season standpoint is often the major difference between a number 1 and number 2. So if a goalie gets an 890 save percentage one season, he most likely is not coming back...if he does he might have one more chance to improve on that team otherwise he's gone and replaced. Would like to see those stats directly correlated with a goalies playing time.

Also would like to see AVGR and CA tied together to an extent if it isn't already. Specifically with a goalie, if he's getting high AVGR each season, naturally his skills must increase (perhaps his consistency stays the same)

Definitely as said above the goalies play way too many games. I'm seeing tons of goalies getting 50 plus wins...there's a reason why no goalie in the history of the NHL has had that many wins before! It took EHM one season for it to happen lol

Job
Junior League

Post by Job » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Spoiler: Click to reveal
It's curious just how different our League scoring turned out.

Scoring turned out to be WAY higher in my game, with two teams reaching 300+ goals scored and about half the league scoring as much as your second highest-scoring team. Yet somehow the top scorers scored about the same, though I seem to have a lot more PPG players.

The top goalies seem to be about on par with the real NHL (With Lundqvist having a season quite comparabvle to what Carey Price is doing IRL), but the discrepancy between the top goaltenders and the middle-of-the-pack/weakest starters seems to be too high.

During the course of the season, at least for my team, injuries didn't seem to happen nearly enough. Maybe I was blessed, but none of my players ever got injured for more than three weeks, and I'm pretty sure I could count on my fingers the number of injuries my team suffered.

Anyway, it's just one season, I'll see with the next couple whether it's a trend or an outlier.

Taloncarde
Drafted

Post by Taloncarde » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or another thread but letting the coach run the team in pre-season I am having trouble with it letting me keep more than 2 goalies on the primary roster, even though there is no restrictions it keeps wanting to send all the goalies it can down to the AHL team?

Job
Junior League

Post by Job » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 pm

My impressions right now : I get all he excitement because it's what we have longed for for quite a while and there's potential and all that, and I'm very happy EHM is back... But on the other hand, it does kinda feel like I'm playing a somewhat debugged, somewhat faster EHM 2007 with a new skin.

RomaGoth
Fringe Player
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings

Post by RomaGoth » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 pm

When teams accept my exhibition games, there is no team name in the message.

It says, "accept exhibition game proposal" in the header and the message body says, "have accepted the offer for an exhibition game on Monday, October 6th 2014".

Really weird, I don't know which team accepted without going to my schedule to see.

Return to “General EHM Chat”