How's it going in EHM2007? What team Are You?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

Rosters Forum: Discussion relating to all database and roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.
oldfatbaldguy
Junior League

Re: How's it going in EHM2007? What team Are You?

Post by oldfatbaldguy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Started unemployed, applied for major-junior jobs, got hired by Saskatoon just before the start of the 06-07 regular season -- and just after the deadline for signing free agents who could play that season. It's a tire fire. Finished the season with 50 points (23-45-4), dead last in WHL, management that expected me to win the league caught on at some point and is now "very pleased." Just trying to build.

For season two I have 14 17-year-old free agents coming in -- mostly long shots, but I don't care, because it won't be hard to purge the reserve list to make room for them.

cecede123
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by cecede123 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Just won my first cup with Islanders in my 5th season ! Plus, just drafted the Zdeno Chara regen :D In this save, Isles are used to choke in playoff, like the Sharks :P Good in season, but sucks in playoffs !

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:57 pm

That awkward game time when you start a team from scratch using only UFA's, don't change default tactics, are deliberately trying to tank, and instead are in 1st place in your conference in December.... :-/

My guys are apparently too good. I'd trade them, and teams want them, but aren't willing to give anything of worth for them. Hoping closing in on the Trade Deadline drives value up or else I'm going to be stuck. Doug Janik on my 1st pairing can't win me a Cup. Right?

Filip Croatia
Minor League

Post by Filip Croatia » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:43 pm

I had so many great players in numerous files I played (talking about NHL) and never saw jersey retired for any of them. Although when game is loading it writes "if one player put great numbers he will be considered for jersey retirement", it never happened in my game. :dunno:

Is there anybody who had retired jersey for his player ?

CanucksFan1993
Prospect

Post by CanucksFan1993 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:54 am

Filip Croatia wrote:I had so many great players in numerous files I played (talking about NHL) and never saw jersey retired for any of them. Although when game is loading it writes "if one player put great numbers he will be considered for jersey retirement", it never happened in my game. :dunno:

No, I haven't had it happen to me. Though according to what I've read in the past, the player must be with your team for his entire playing career. Meaning he must be drafted and brought up from within the system and have put up great numbers. Another thing is that the player must play his entire career with the same jersey number and must never fall into free agency.

I haven't had that happen to me yet, because I'm awful at drafting for some reason or just suck at developing prospects. I've only had maybe two or three players that actually panned out and I've been playing this game for a while. Maybe I need better scouts? No idea.

Jeep91
Junior League

Post by Jeep91 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am

I am the Canucks and just lost to Phoenix in game 7 of the 1st round ;c

g_scott
Junior League

Post by g_scott » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I am playing as the Detroit Red Wings. Ive just finished the 2035-36 season and won the Stanley Cup.

I did a write up on my season here:

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/vi ... 28#p174528

Ill probably continue with the blog for next season as well.

Ive found that drafting and developing a prospect system is the most important part of the game. Good drafting can come from good scouts and frequent scouting. Taking a lot of notes and not being afraid to trade up or trade down. (For example I just traded the 30th pick for the 31st pick and a 4th rounder in the next year)

Developing your prospects is a lot easier if you are the GM of the AHL team as well. I tend to build the staff, lines, practices and tactics, then go on vacation. Ill come out of vacation to grab a good staff member that just got fired and to clear out old emails. This is also a great way to grab staff members who you think might turn out great, but arent quite ready for your NHL team.

CanucksFan1993
Prospect

Post by CanucksFan1993 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 am

A couple weeks ago, started playing EHM07 again. Decided to take another shot at the Florida Panthers again and make them a solid contender. The team has already won 5 Stanley Cups and 9 President's Trophies.

Made some really solid trades in my first year, the Flyers wanted some solid depth players to make a run in the playoffs and as a result, they were willing to give up Jakub Voracek. Also picked up Kyle Okposo from the Islanders in exchange for a prospect and a 2nd round draft pick.

When I came in, the roster was aging. I traded away veterans, brought in some young players. I was pretty aggressive and made some controversial trades, but it turned out pretty well in the end.

I normally prefer my team to play a defense first style with solid goaltending. Which is why I always look for an elite caliber goalie, but that was kind of tough to do with the Panthers for some strange reason. I decided to change the style to a more "fast skating, aggressive forechecking, and puck possession" style game and the team hasn't let me down.

In my current year, the team has come off another Stanley Cup victory. But the team is aging and all of my key guys are already in their early 30s/late 30s. Voracek is close to retirement and currently holds records as scoring leader on the team. I've also been drafting well as of late, already have a couple young prospects that are really close to NHL ready. At least five or six of them have already cracked the lineup, and three of them are playing in a top six role. The future is looking bright!

Aladyyn
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres

Post by Aladyyn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Just finished the 2017-18 season with Anaheim Ducks. Third straight season with at least 50 wins and fourth with at least 300 goals scored. Unfortunately I got beaten in the second round of the playoffs just like the previous season (won the SC in 2016 along with the President's Trophy though).
My roster is looking like this leading to the draft

V. Boyko - R. Getzlaf - C.Perry
J. Silfverberg - D. Krejčí - N. Ritchie
S. Noesen - W. Karlsson - J. Tlustý
D. Winnik - K. Chipchura - N. Sörensen
A. Shaw

H. Lindholm - E. Karlsson
C. Fowler - F. Beauchemin
A. Meszároš - S. Theodore

J. Gibson
M. Garnett

Boyko has played his first NHL season after impressing in the AHL last year with 76 points in 61 games. He elevated the first line to levels unheard of before - all 3 of them put up at least 115 points. Obviously was the only actual Calder candidate (seriously this award goes to one of my players almost every year so far) and a runner-up for the Lady Byng.

Ryan Getzlaf scored over 100 points for the 4rth season in a row, with incredible 133 points this year. During the first ~40 games he put up 80 points and got me excited for a historic season but then hit a slump that affected the whole team. In the end he lost out on the Art Ross by one point, finished second in Hart voting, winning the Lady Byng and Lester B. Pearson, a trophy he was previously a runner-up for and finished 3rd twice (finally beat out that darn Toews). Obviously the long term captain who led the team to the Cup in 2015-16 winning the Conn Smythe in the process.

Corey Perry finally broke 50 goals again this past season after being robbed of the opportunity 2 times - missed 20 games in 2013-14 and ended up with 39 and was out for 5 months of the great 2015-16 season, which allowed Andrew Cogliano to shine instead and score over 100.

Jakob Silfverberg is a Calder winner from 2014 when he played on the first line. Since then he's been a mainstay on the second, this being the first season in which he failed to score 25 goals (34, 26, 43, 29, 20).

David Krejčí was picked up in free agency before the 2015-16 and immediately set a career high with 83 points centering the first line (replacing Evgeni Malkin, an FA experience that just didn't work out). This season he only put up 52 points, which makes me reluctant to sign a new contract with him - he demands a pay rise and I have a promising prospect lined up.

Nick Ritchie is a result of the Bobby Ryan trade with Ottawa, drafted as the #12 in 2014. I was originally looking at Nikolaj Ehlers but the #9 Ritchie fell to me instead and I was very happy with that. Won the Calder in his first season with 98 points and then helped the franchise win its second Stanley Cup. He's been regressing ever since, but only played 3 seasons and scored over 35 goals in all of them. So far a career point-per-game player.

Stefan Noesen is the last of my Calder winners, winning it by posting 96 points in 2016-17 after being the team's leading scorer in the playoffs the season before. Will have to fight for a top-6 spot again this season, with Boyko and Silfverberg being above him in the depth chart and the promising Ivan Nikolishin in the AHL waiting for his chance to shine.

Daniel Winnik is the last forward I want to highlight, being a surprisingly consistent depth goal scorer. Scored at least 20 goals in each but one season so far, his career best being 65 points (26+39) when filling in for Corey Perry on the top line for most of 2015-16. He's 33 already but I hope to keep him on the team for a few more seasons, because forwards capable of potting in 23 goals from the 4th line are not easy to come by.

Hampus Lindholm has been an integral part of the team ever since his rookie season. A consistent 30+ point defenseman that is also solid in his own zone. Already played 400 NHL games at just 24 years old.

Erik Karlsson is a result of the failed "let's sign Evgeni Malkin to be my second line center" experiment. The straight 1-for-1 trade benefited both teams, Ducks got a solid top pairing RD and Malkin was one of the pieces that made Senators a really strong team in the East. His point production is underwhelming and he was injured for most of the last season, but still is the team's no. 1 defenseman and is irreplaceable.

Cam Fowler has been demoted to the 2nd pairing over time but he's still a big offensive threat from the blueline. Just signed to a new 2-year contract worth 11 million in total. My only worry is that he seems to alternate very good and average season.

Francois Beauchemin is a long-time Duck and still one of the most important players on the team. His defensive capabilities make him the perfect partner for Cam Fowler. His ice time has diminished to only 2nd pairing and PK duty, but he still puts up consistent 30 points and +20 rating.

Goaltending is my only concern, John Gibson's stats don't look very good but I attribute that mostly the team's heavily offensive style of play.

So far the main questions are whether to sign Krejčí not to have a gaping hole at 2C in case Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson isn't ready to step up for the role next year after scoring 122 points in the AHL. Even if I do sign him I could pick up a solid goalie in FA to share the load with Gibson so that's probably what I will do.

plaaplaa72
Junior League

Post by plaaplaa72 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Currently on the 2015-2016 season with the New York Rangers. (2013-2014 Roster Update, this ones and older save i have forgot to play)

First season we were amazing, dominating regular season and going to the Stanley Cup Playoffs against Chicago. Up 3-0 to in the Finals against Chicago, i thought that we had it in the bag already, especially because they only scored 2 goals in the first 3 games. But they managed to comeback from being down 3-0, and take us to 7 games to finally beat us in an embarassing fashion.

Second season we dominated the regular season yet again, even better than in the first season, but we fell to Capitals in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Now im starting my 2nd Season with the following roster:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Evgeni Malkin - Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin - Alex Forsberg - Ryan Callahan "C"
Daniel Winnik - Vernon Fiddler - Jesper Fast
Travis Moen - Brian Boyle "A" - Adam Hall

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal "A" - Drew Doughty
Matthew Spencer* - Roman Polak

Henrik Lundqvist
James Reimer

Scratched: Coling Greening (F), Henrik Tömmernes (D)

*=Rookie

My D is really stacked, and i have not given really anything of too much value for them, i traded Michael Del Zotto and Michael St. Croix for Drew Doughty. Chris Kreider for the 3rd Overall Pick (Matthew Spencer) and Polak was a FA Signing.

Spencer should really be playing atleast 2 Pairing, but i have almost no room for him, and he barely gets playing time. :D

JMocks
Junior League

Post by JMocks » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Started a save with the Carolina Hurricanes with the most recent roster update. Just finished up January, and we're below .500 on the season, sitting 10th or 11th in the Eastern conference. Question is, do I trade my good players come trade deadline to try and get picks/prospects? Or stick with them for the season, and look forward to next season after the draft and FA?

Filip Croatia
Minor League

Post by Filip Croatia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

I am currently on 21/22 season with Montreal. Won two three cups and two presidents. :joy:

JMocks
Junior League

Post by JMocks » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:40 pm

JMocks wrote:Started a save with the Carolina Hurricanes with the most recent roster update. Just finished up January, and we're below .500 on the season, sitting 10th or 11th in the Eastern conference. Question is, do I trade my good players come trade deadline to try and get picks/prospects? Or stick with them for the season, and look forward to next season after the draft and FA?
Just an update on this post; I didn't trade anyone. I stuck with what we had, and we ended up with the 3rd overall pick in the draft. I wanted McDavid something terrible, but the Oilers picked him (like they need him). I was able to take Jack Eichel though. I will most likely start him on my second line and bump Jordan Staal down to the third line.

Filip Croatia
Minor League

Post by Filip Croatia » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm

CanucksFan1993 wrote:
Filip Croatia wrote:I had so many great players in numerous files I played (talking about NHL) and never saw jersey retired for any of them. Although when game is loading it writes "if one player put great numbers he will be considered for jersey retirement", it never happened in my game. :dunno:

No, I haven't had it happen to me. Though according to what I've read in the past, the player must be with your team for his entire playing career. Meaning he must be drafted and brought up from within the system and have put up great numbers. Another thing is that the player must play his entire career with the same jersey number and must never fall into free agency.

I haven't had that happen to me yet, because I'm awful at drafting for some reason or just suck at developing prospects. I've only had maybe two or three players that actually panned out and I've been playing this game for a while. Maybe I need better scouts? No idea.

This is my future franchise center, he finished as TPS in rookie scoring. Since he came from Russia he is wearing #91, and I will try that he never leaves on FA, I have no doubt that he will produce worthy numbers. :) I am not sure but could easily be Datsyuk regen.

Kendo
Learning to skate

Post by Kendo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello all,
I picked up EHM 2007 back in late 2006 and it has always been one of my favorite games of any genre. A couple of years ago, my old PC went caput, so I lost access to my EHM. Around this time last year, I started emailing ELicense to try and gain access to my game, and although many people on this forum swear that they answer in a reasonable time, they never did.

So I did what anyone in my position would do if they didn't want to spend a few bucks on a game that they already owned...I ripped the hard drive out of my dead PC and hooked it up to my new one. I got my code, and fired that baby up! If you thought I was going to say "pirate it," then shame on you! I would have rather spent the $20 or $30 again to at least maintain the little amount of karma I have left in this world. :**

But I digress...since this is the "How's it going and what team are you thread," I figured I would post a little bit of a blog and ask for advice/opinions/criticism/smack talk.
Generally I pick the Rangers in any hockey game I play, but I learned the first time around with EHM that I end up trying to keep everyone on the team and running out of cap space, as well as keep players that are good enough in real life but don't cut it in the game. So I went with the Blue Jackets. Still some lovable ex-Rangers on the team, and they have a great goalie and good prospect depth.

Using 2014-15 TBL Rosters v7.0 (adjusted 2006) roster, I started out with the following:
Hartnell - Johansen - Horton
Foligno - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Jenner - Anisimov - Boll
Calvert - Letestu - Cracknell
Tropp - Gibbons - Skille
Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Savard
Murray - Prout
Erixon - Goloubef
Bobrovsky - McElhinney
Forsberg - Dansk - Korpisalo

Right away, I trade Horton for Callahan (I think straight up, as this was a while ago at this point) to reunite him with Dubi. About halfway through the first season, the Penguins are getting offers for Malkin (this was before I read up on the forums here that apparently Malkin gets traded for cap space often) so I try my hand at a trade and offer Johansen, Atkinson and a prospect defenseman. I didn't think that would be good enough of an offer, but my assustant liked the deal, and the PIT GM said he would give it serious thought. And...they accepted!

I then cleared out some excess weight (trading Gibbons, Skille, Prout and others plus a sixth or seventh, to pick up a fourth or fifth) to upgrade my draft position. I figured that if they were willing to give a 4th for the player straight-up, then making it a 6th plus the player for a 3rd, was not really cheesing the system. Also, I traded Chaput for Maxime Macenauer who, while not great, adds a dimension of defensive responsibility that was lacking and fits perfectly as the 12th/13th forward. The NYI were in a cap bind, so they put De Haan on waivers and I picked him up. Same with Clutterbuck. While neither of these players were much to write home about, they added much needed depth and experience to my young team.

Hartnell - Malkin - Callahan
Jenner - Dubinsky - Hjalmarsson
Calvert - Anisimov - Clutterbuck
D'Amigo - Letestu - Boll
Tropp - Macenauer - Cracknell
Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Savard
Murray - De Haan
Erixon - Goloubef
Bobrovsky - McElhinney

Post-season: You can see that this team ends up very, very young but with a ton of upside. However, we missed the playoffs in year 1. Springfield (my AHL affiliate) makes the conference finals, but loses to the Hartford Wolfpack. As a Ranger fan, I couldn't ask to lose to any other team.

Kendo
Learning to skate

Post by Kendo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Off-season: Looking at my team, I could see that I needed some left side help on both offense and defense, but the draft seemed all about the right side. I picked up a couple centers, a couple right D's, and a couple of right wingers.
I let McElhinney walk since A. he's not that good, and B. he didn't want to discuss a deal anyway. It didn't matter, since Matt Hackett was available and he was just stellar for the Sabres farm team the year before. Also a great get for young AHLers was Simon Bertilsson from Sweden and Jake Dotchin from the TB system.

To start my second season:

Jenner - Dubinsky - Hjalmarsson
Calvert - Anisimov - Anderson
D'Amigo - Macenauer - Clutterbuck
Winquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Murray
Erixon - De Haan
Bertilsson - Goloubef
Bobrovsky - Hackett

To start the season, I could see that my team was still very young and likely to place 9th or 10th again, so I come up with a few early season trades to really solidify the team going forward. First off, and I would have never guessed this to work, I traded Tyutin and Forsberg for John Carlson. Murray was easily ready to anchor the 2nd pairing, so with Carlson making the Wiz expendable, I flipped him to the Wings for Kindl and Pulkkinen. While the general theory is that the team that ends up with the best player in the deal wins the trade, this trade offered me cap relief, plus a 2nd-3rd line RW since my right side, well...both wings are still very young and crude. For the same reason, I picked up Jordan Szwarz from the NYI on waivers. I also got Shaone Morrisson and Justin Braun at the deadline to solidify my defense.

To end my second season:

Jenner - Dubinsky - Pulkkinen
Calvert - Anisimov - Hjalmarsson
D'Amigo - Macenauer - Szwarz
Winquist - Wennberg - Anderson
Johnson - Carlson
Murray - Braun
Kindl - Morrissonn
Erixon - Goloubef
Bobrovsky - Hackett
Dansk - Korpisalo

I made the playoffs as a 7th seed, and lost in 6 to the Avalanche. I gave them a run for their money, but Landeskog was just too much to contain. Springfield ended up in last place, but that seems to always happen in my second season of any EHM game since I'm in transition, so my minor league team usually has a bunch of potential, but not enough "today" ability. Also, I don't sign clear-cut NHLers to send to the minors at the start of the season, like a lot of other teams. The good news though, is that Bertilsson wins the MVP and best Defenseman awards for the AHL. Nice! =D>

Kendo
Learning to skate

Post by Kendo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 pm

Off-season: Heading into the draft, I still need help on the left side, but there is barely any left-side help to be had. I draft two goalies (since I don't like Dansk, Forsberg was traded, yet Korpisalo has some upside), a right D (yet again), a center, a couple of RWs and a LW with possible 4th line potential (Yay?).

It is now the 2008-2009 pre-season. I needed to upgrade my 2nd pair RD. I thought that Braun would be part of the solution, but the scouts have all told me that he is a 3rd pair guy. No matter how much I like the player in real life, I need to recognize what he is in the game (which again, is why I didn't play as the Rangers). I flip him and Erixon to the Devils for Adam Larsson. I let Morrisson and Goloubef walk and sign Roman Polak. There were better RD available in free agency, but for too much money, and I need to give Larsson the minutes he deserves.

Going into my 3rd season, I have:

Jenner - Dubinsky - Pulkkinen
Calvert - Anisimov - Hjalmarsson
D'Amigo - Macenauer - Szwarz
Winquist - Wennberg - Anderson
Johnson - Carlson
Murray - Larsson
Kindl - Polak
Bertilsson - Dotchin - Flemming
Bobrovsky - Hackett
Dansk - Korpisalo

Now...I needed an upgrade on both wings, as Jenner, D'Amigo and Calvert are pretty much three of the same, with Calvert being the oldest. None of them will be able to step up when Hartnell walks in a couple more seasons (he has a NTC, so he's on the team until he walks), and Calvert was the bottom of the three in my opinion (scouts called Jenner and D'Amigo as second line potential, and Calvert only third), although in my team report, my assistant GM ranks Calvert ahead of the other two. I was hoping a rival GM would think so as well. In comes Carl Hagelin (whom MTL picked up as a free agent since NYR spent all of their cap space) for Calvert and Soberg.

On the right side, I have Pulkkinen, Hjalmarsson and Szwarz (not to mention Anderson and Bjorkstrand) so I single out Hjalmarsson since he is the oldest like Calvert and I go shopping for a better RW. However, the day after the Hagelin trade, I see a team making an offer for Landeskog, and much like the Malkin trade, I give it a go not expecting it to work. I offer Hagelin, Anisimov and Hjalmarsson plus a late pick. My asst GM likes it. The COL GM will give it (again) "serious thought," and it's accepted!

I then picked up Brandon McMillan from waivers as a 13th forward and go shopping for a RW. The day after I claimed McMillan, Nail Yakupov gets placed on waivers. I never thought I would get him, but I did!

A week into the 2008-2009 season, I have:

Landeskog - Malkin - Callahan
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Pulkkinen
Yakupov - Wennberg - Szwarz
D'Amigo - Jenner - Anderson
McMillan - Macenauer
Winquist - Dano - Bjorkstrand
Johnson - Carlson
Murray - Larsson
Kindl - Polak
Bertilsson - Dotchin - Flemming
Bobrovsky - Hackett
Dansk - Korpisalo

I'm not very worried about McMillan or Macenauer getting playing time, but they are integral to the depth of the team with people getting injured or tired (I run a slightly rigorous practice schedule, so it happens once in a while), so I can shift Jenner to 4th line center and Yaks over to 3rd LW, and all players are getting the ice time they need/deserve.

Throughout the season, I may look to move the following:

Dansk - He has been a loser everywhere he has played. While my scouts call him a future backup, I don't want him stealing time from Korpisalo, who has been a completely solid prospect so far. While I would need an AHL backup next season for Korpi, one or both of my 2008 drafted goalies will be ready the following season.

Kindl - I probably will NOT move him, but will keep him for a playoff run. His contract is expiring, but he is a great partner for Polak. If there is a much better expiring contract that I can flip Kindl for (by packaging some other dead weight (see above or below)) to use for a playoff run, I will definitely consider it. Bertilsson will be a more than capable partner for Polak next season, if not a career 3rd pairing guy on my team. Oh, and there's Dotchin whom I picked up last off-season as a 21 year old free agent and is currently on my minor league team. He will pair with or even replace Bert once Polak walks. On Dotchin, this is the first player to name ME as one of his favorite staff. Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE!

D'Amigo - Jenner has out-performed him every season and Winquist has been knocking on the door the entire time even when Calvert was on the team. That doesn't even mention Sonny Milano, Columbus' real-life 1st rounder from 2006 since he'll be ready for split AHL/NHL time next season.

Szwarz - While I like the kid, and he has 40+ point potential, Pulks, Yaks, Anderson and Bjorks are plenty of, if not too much depth for the middle six RW position. That's not to mention Reid Gardiner, my 3rd round pick from 2007 that will be more than ready for split AHL/NHL time next season.

Pulkkinen - See Szwarz, Jordan above. Although they are in a similar situation, Pulks carries much more value in any deal that he may be included in.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:37 pm

I started a game with the 7.1 roster, hidden attributes mod and fake names to make things much much harder.

To start with I started unemployed with lowest reputation and after a couple of months I got a bunch of offers at the same time. I saw one from a team called Nikkarit sitting last place in the Finnish third division and to honor the challenge of working myself upwards I picked them.

Season 1

Now things got ugly and hard quickly. With no real history for the players due to fake names and almost no staff I had nothing to go on for how do set up my team. To solve this I went quickly to get some staff, that's when things got brutal. With the hidden attributes mod I only had reputation and tactical/coaching style to go on. Brutal! I saw a bunch of general managers with "good" reputation that were potentially possible to get so I got one as an assistant manager and one as an assistant coach. After that I got a bunch of randoms to fill up some more spots.

After potentially solving the staff part I had to assess the team with their help, even though I didn't know how skilled their were. Scouting reports were everywhere but my team was seemingly slightly tilted to the offensive side to I went for that for tactics and utilized a checking line against the opponent top line.

Despite a couple of potentially good acquisitions during we ended dead last, by a margin, at only 15 points and a woeful defense. No transfer budget and a salary budget that was impossible to actually meet prevented me from buying players as a quick fix. I fired the head coach and hoped to not get fired myself.

Off-season 1

How to solve the mess?
Still no transfer budget and the impossible to meet salary budget.

First priority was to find a new head coach and I got another GM with good reputation to accept the role and at the same time I switched out some more personnel. Maybe this guy actually could coach?

Then I went shopping for a goalie a my starter left and my scouts found a goalie in his prime that's been ripping up in the 5th division and after a contract battle with some other teams I got him. He ended up as the 6th best goalie (one spot over the starter that left me) in the pre-season rankings. I also got a young goalie with some potential to fill the backup role.

With players leaving due to not accepting my offers, one of my best performers retiring and a couple of underachievers gone I did a lot of shopping on the FA market.

Season 2

This season I atleast knew more about what I had to work with. Due to my team being a speedy one now (I scouted for speedy guys) I went for trapping hockey this year.

The biggest surprise was that my young backup actually stole the starting role from the potential star goalie I got before him. In Koistinen we trust!
Two of my acquisitions the center Hyypiä and a huge defender by the name Koski, that had been dominating in the 5th division, started of extremely hot ans got me in the play-off hunt early on.

After some struggle in mid season and a big push at the end we ended up just outside a fight for promotion with really good defensive numbers, much thanks to the young goalie.

Some guys like Kautto continued to be a defensive hazard but after dropping from 16 points last year to a pathetic 3 this one he wont get a new contract. To compensate my biggest disappointment last year in the centerman Sandelin jumped from a medicre 9 points jumped to a wooping 27!

Goalie numbers are quite good but I may get rid of my backup to get a younger guy.

This guy got a top spot on my team next season for sure! Maybe this "defensive defensman" can teach the forwards how to score?

I will try to keep most of the core intact due to the success this season and hope for it to continue.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:04 pm

A continuation from the post above.

Season 3

Predicted to end up in last place and, wow, it started out bad. Even though I had three goalies posting great stats numbers the team just couldn't score. Even though I tried different settings for shooting they just gave the opposing goalie 8-10's every game. I actually started to worry about my job for a while, it was horrendous to say the least.

Mid-season was great, we sat in the play-off by a margin. Still one problem persisted, who ever I put on the first line automatically started to suck bad. No matter what I tried to do nothing helped or even made things worse. Can somebody explain the mystery? :dunno:

Wondering how to fall through the floor? Just do what my team did! We ended up worse than last season and went from a low-scoring team to a no-scoring team. My goaltenders finally succumbed to the pressure and became mediocre. Now some of my most important players are getting old and/or won't re-sign with me. I fear that the next season may be the last for me, even though the board is happy with my performance, as things aren't looking bright.

What happened to Hyypä?

Can't really blame my young goalies (24 and 21) as they put up decent numbers in the end.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Season 4
After sitting most of the season within the playoff section we manage to lose the last game of the regular season and drop from 3rd to 5th, just missing the playoffs. ](*,)
Frustrating and I'm almost literary crying right now. :cry:

My new scoring wingers worked great and my defense was way more solid.

My younger goalie took the ball early and ran with it. Might let Koistinen go and use my 18 year old as a backup next season.

Animal31
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Abbotsford Heat

Post by Animal31 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:31 am

I live a very sheltered life; I play as the Devils and Ducks as those are my teams in real life. I get Marty Brodeur, Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac, Brian Rafalski, Scott Neidermayor, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, etc for players. They are all so great I already have a core to build around

so I suck at rebuilding that core. I started a game as the Blues, and I traded pretty much everyone away. I had 22 players under contract at the end of the season. I managed to draft Kyle Turris and Lars Eller and thats all I care about. The only players I care about on my roster are Eric Brewer, David Backes, Barret Jackman, Jonas Hiller, and Turris and Eller. Going into my 2nd training cap I signed a massive ammount of bad veterens to just feild a rostor and hope for some kind of progress, like Bertuzzi. I managed to trade Lee Stempniak, Keith Aullie and a 3rd for Henrik Zetterberg, so he's important to my team now. I also managed to somehow sign Jonathan Bernier, who had a falling out with the Kings and was a UFA. I had him in my last save and he developed well enough to hold me out to draft an all star goalie. Lars Eller is pretty much the only player in Peoria aside from Hiller I care about, so he's getting first line minutes. Other than that ive been trading away, like I said, EVERYONE for either really high draft picks in 2007, or 2008, like top 5 picks, or first or second rounders in 2009 onwards because I know thats where I draft the best, thank god for bad regenning systems.

Prowl
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Prowl » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:58 am

I've decided to try playing as my beloved Flames with the new core challenge rules as a guinea pig for the next NHL challenge. I felt like I need to relearn some aspects of the game so I could do some more challenges in the future.

Core Players:

A Hiller
B Baertschi
B Brodie
B Gaudreau
B Giordano
B Hudler
B Monahan
B Russell
B Wideman
C Colborne

I'm hoping I can replicate my team's inspired play IRL :)

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Started a new game during christmas holidays with 7.1 rosters and hidden attributes background. I really wanted to play with an expansion team so I removed the Winnipeg Jets and made all Winnipeg's staff and players free agents. As for my team I created a new expansion in the Nhl, Seattle Steelheads, with no history to be able to guide the franchise from day one. For players I went with waiver pickups and free agents. I'm planning to write a more detailed blog just for my own fun and experience later so writing this as a base for that.

2014 - 2015

At season opener lines were:

1. A. Kostitsyn - J. Lehterä - M. Ryder M. Komisarek - S. Brookbank
2. G. Latendresse - S. Zinovyev - M. Frolik N. Paetsch - B. Lee
3. D. King - A. Loktionov - G. Moore D. Stevenson - E. Gryba
4. D. Byers - S. Gomez - L. Glendening
G: P. Vehanen, I. Bryzgalov

(Reservere; G: Salak, DiPietro, D: B. Mikkelson, F: C. Gillies, Z. Kassian (out for 3m during pre-season)

At half mark of the season we were 2nd in Northwest, 1 point from division leading Flames.. but to be honest the whole division was dreadful occupying all the bottom places in west with a wide point difference.

At trade deadline made few trades:

Frolik to New Jersey for a 3rd rounder, Gomez to Tampa Bay for a 5th rounder.

Vehanen was outstanding for the team, posting 23-27-2 record with 1.98 GAA and 0.934 save percentage. Unfortunately in mid march he went out with UCL tear and retired from hockey as a 37y old.

Finished 14th in West with 34-45-3 record and 71 points.

Top scorers:

1. J. Lehterä 82gp 15+37=52
2. A. Kostitsyn 64gp 21+19=40
3. M. Ryder 79gp 15+21=36

Drafted Jack Eichel with 5th pick in the first round
Last edited by Tupe on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:32 pm

2015-2016

During offseason traded Zinovyev to Florida, who were looking for a veteran center, for young D Erik Gudbranson and Mike Komisarek to Carolina for a 3rd pick.

My free agent signing was 30y old winger David Booth with a 3y/2,5m/y contract. Booth had 29p in 75 games with Maple Leafs last season.

Seattle was ranked last in the season preview again. Eichel had a good training camp so I decided to let him have a chance with the team, since Seattle needed some star power. Also claimed 23y old huge center Brock Nelson (NYI) from waivers. Free agent signings Ville Leino and Sakari Salminen joinded the team during summer after finishing their seasons in Finland.

Lines at season opener:

1. Booth - Lehterä - Kassian D: Paetsch - Lee
2. Kostitsyn - Eichel - Ryder D: Gudbranson - Gryba
3. Leino - Nelson - Moore D: Stevenson - Brookbank
4. King - Glendening - Gillies
G: Bryzgalov, Salak

Eichel was on point per game pace but the whole team slumped for a while after christmas break and had difficulties to score. Still decided that Eichel will finish the season with Seattle. Finished 6th in west with 44-31-7 record and 95 points.

Playoffs 1st round vs. 5th seed Chicago Blackhawks (3-0-1 for Hawks)

G1: 4-3 OT W with Ryder scoring the winner, his first goal in 20 games. Seattle faced 37 shots against and blocked 34 more.
G2: 3-5 L (Salak replaced Bryzgalov after 3 goals)
G3: 2-0 L (Salak started, outhitted Hawks 40-17 with my fourth line Gillies, King, Kassian set against Toews, Kane and Sharp)
G4: 1-2 W
G5: 2-1 OT W (Leino with the winner)
G6: 3-4 W (Glendening with series winning goal)

Salak stood on his head after replacing Bryzgalov as Seattle was outshotted every game. Defensive approach also worked as team killed few important penalties during last minutes of games 4 and 6 and blocked a ton of shots.

2nd round vs. 1st seeded Los Angeles Kings (2-2-0)

G1: 2-1 W
G2: 0-3 L
G3: 4-2 W (Seattle was leading 2-0 until Kings tied it in the 3rd period, Mikkelson scored at 59.32 to make it 3-2 and Booth hit an empty netter 13 seconds after)
G4: 3-0 L (Quick with 33 saves and Kings with 3 power play goals)
G5: 4-1 L
G6: 2-1 W (Salminen scored in his first playoff game)
G7: 4-0 L (Ugly loss to end the cinderella run)

Final line up:

1. Kostitsyn - Lehterä - Ryder D: Mikkelson - Lee
2. Booth - Eichel - Moore D: Gudbranson - Gryba
3. Latendresse - Nelson - Glendening D: Paetsch - Brookbank
4. Salminen - Leino - Kassian
G: Salak, Bryzgalov

Eichel led the team in scoring (82gp 24+42=66 +20) and won the Calder trophy.

Drafted 6'4'' Goalie Evan Fitzpatrick from QMJHL with the 21st pick in the first round

2016 - 2017

During free agency really wanted to sign Michael Grabner as I needed a something of a goal-scoring winger (didn't resign Ryder) and offered 3y/2m/y contract, but he went to Wild with a 2y contract. Signed 25y old SWE defender David Rundblad instead for 2y/1m/y contract.

Also resigned all core players (Salak got a raise for 3m/y from abbribrtiritibration) and traded Dwight King and 4th rounder to Flyers for 5'7'' scoring winger Brendan Gallagher (last season 29gp 4+7 -6 with Flyers and Canadiens).

During November claimed Penguins D Despress from waivers and trated 2018 4th and 2017 6th picks for 33y old winger Lee Stempniak as team depth is still very shallow and four of my winger were injured for a week or more.

Currenty in the beginning of december with a 15-10-2 record and leading Northwest with 32 points. Eichel is 7th in overall scoring with 29 points in 27 games.

madball1982
Junior League

Post by madball1982 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 am

Just started playing EHM again after trying desperately to enjoy FHM since it came out. (Played it regularly, but never got the same satisfaction out of it). Kicking off with a Calgary Flames game, latest roster updates with 06/07 start date.
I will post up periodically how it's going. I'll do it in the blogs sub-forum so as not to clog up this one. (Plus it doesn't look like that one's been used in a while)

Return to “General EHM Chat”