Broadway Beat - 22/23 Training Camp

Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!

Moderator: Commish Team

Wally_Wallcakes
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Wally_Wallcakes » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:04 am

My first media release. Thanks for reading!

https://medium.com/@wallywrestling/new- ... 04f1075589

Wally_Wallcakes
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Wally_Wallcakes » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

A new General Manager in New York City is hoping for big things from the Blueshirts this season

NEW YORK (August 31, 2022) — On the eve of training camp, the New York Rangers have high expectations entering the 2022/2023 National Hockey League season. Newly hired General Manager Wally Wallcakes comes as a relative newcomer to the NHL, but met with the media this week to discuss his outlook for the team, starting with training camp.

“Quite frankly I’m not looking back on last season,” Wallcakes told the media on Sunday. “We operate in a business where winning is the ultimate goal and that’s our only focus as we start this new campaign.”

While the Rangers’ roster looks relatively similar to last season, Wallcakes did add some new faces to the lineup. Gone is veteran blueliner Anton Stralman, who is still seeking a new contract for the upcoming season, replaced with fellow veterans Justin Braun and freshly inked Kris Russell.

“Justin and Kris give our defensive core a little more stability,” Wallcakes said. “I know Justin had a bit of a tough season in Detroit last year, but we’re confident in his abilities and what he’ll be able to bring to our club.”

Russell, another 35-year-old addition, will be expected to anchor the third pairing which may or may not be alongside Braun. Along with the top pairing of Ryan McDonagh and John Carlson, the quartet will be expected to lend their experience to sophomore William Vileneuve, who is expecting to crack the top six when the regular season opens this October.

The Rangers also decided to add more experience in goal, with the additions of Darcy Kuemper and Mackenzie Blackwood. The former is expected to backup starter Antti Raanta but Wallcakes wasn’t committing to either backstop.

“That’s a decision for Alain [Vigneault] and the coaching staff,” Wallcakes said of his newly signed goaltenders. “We’ve made no promises to either netminder, other than to let them know that the opportunity would be provided to both of them. I expect them to make it hard for us to make a decision and I look forward to the battle in camp.”

(The Rangers depth chart heading into the 22/23 season)

Up front, it’s business as usual for the Rangers, with the same core group of players expected to return, with eyes expected to be locked on left winger Xavier Parent. The 21-year-old sophomore is likely to see an elevated role this season after a 25-goal rookie season last year.

“I like what he brought last season, and I look forward to watching up close and personal this year,” Wallcakes said of Parent. “It’s our job to ensure that he’s able to continue to provide that type of offence for us and contribute in a big way. He proved last season that he’s ready for the responsibility and we’re going to challenge him early.”

While it’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the Rangers will finish, Wallcakes didn’t mince words about what he expected from his veteran hockey club.

“When I look at this roster, I see a strong group of veterans who are going to be pushed and challenged by some young men who are knocking on the door and looking for elevated roles. This organization has invested a lot of money and dollars into this roster and I think it’s time for us to enjoy some of those results.”

“I’ve made my expectations very clear and between myself and the coaching staff, it’s a message that will be delivered at the start of training camp and throughout the season,” Wallcakes said.

“There’s not a lot of room for error. I expect big things and while I’ll most certainly exercise some patience as we begin the year, I won’t be afraid to make changes to help improve this hockey club.”

Training camp starts this week.

Return to “Press Conferences”