Broadway Beat - October Edition

Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!

Moderator: Commish Team

Wally_Wallcakes
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Broadway Beat - October Edition

Post by Wally_Wallcakes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:17 pm

BROADWAY POTHOLES
A new GM and a new vision has not equaled in a stronger start for one of the NHL’s Original Six

NEW YORK (November, 2022) - After one month on the job, the new suit atop the New York Rangers wasn’t mincing words when he met with the media recently.

“Terrible,” Rangers General Manager Wally Wallcakes stated this week when asked about the Rangers poor start.

“It’s cliche, sure, but it’s true when they say you can’t make the playoffs during the first month of the season, but you can darn sure miss them with a slow start and I’d say our start has been nothing short of a turtle’s pace.”

To say Wallcakes is disappointed with the team’s start is an understatement.His blueshirts stumbled through October with a 2-7-2 record. The most damning stat of all comes on the defensive side of the puck as the Rangers are in the upper echelon of the league when it comes to shots and goals against.

Both Anntti Raanta and Darcy Kuemper have been poor this season with save percentages well below .900 and goals against averages that would make a goaltender from the 1980’s embarrassed.

“It’s definitely not how we drew things up,” Raanta stated when asked about the team’s record. “We were happy to see that management kept the team together through the off-season and to start the year as we felt that this group was capable of turning things around. Obviously, we haven’t been able to show it so far.”

Defensively, this team is a mess and right now the blame is being shouldered by head coach Alain Vigneault. In his ninth season at the helm, some are starting to wonder if his message is starting fall upon deaf ears, especially with a veteran-laden group.

“I wouldn’t say that at all,” said forward Beau Bennett, who leads the team with 6 goals and 12 points through 13 games. “We’re a proud group of guys and that includes the coaching staff who have a history of success. We just need to simplify our game and execute the game plan.”

Whatever the case may be, the execution just doesn’t seem to be there for a team that, on paper, should be producing better results. While the coach hasn’t received the ‘vote of confidence’ from the general manager, it’s clear that Wallcakes isn’t looking to shake things up behind the bench just yet.

“I don’t want to comment on that right now,” said Wallcakes, when asked about Alain Vigneault’s status. “Out of respect for Alain, that’s not something I want to talk about publicly and for a matter of record, it’s not a conversation we’ve had. He’s the coach of the New York Rangers, end of story.”

If the coach isn’t going anywhere, what about the roster? Wallcakes said prior to the season that he wouldn’t hesitate to make any changes but to this point, with a struggling team, there’s been nothing substantial take place.

“Sure, if there was a deal in place,” Wallcakes commented on whether or not he’s dipped into the trade market. “It doesn’t matter whether you’re winning or losing, if there’s a deal that make sense for an organization, you make it. 30 other men in my position would say the same thing.”

While the general manager is remaining quiet on any conversations he may be having around the league, it’s clear that something needs to change soon in Manhattan.

ELEVATOR FOR VILLENEUVE

At this point, William Villenuve probably wishes he had a Star Trek transporter with the amount of stops he’s made. Originally slated to start the season with the big club, the 21-year-old defenceman has been back and forth from New York to Hartford twice and is currently with the Wolfpack in the American Hockey League.

“We wanted to see what Will could do, but we also want to protect his development,” Wallcakes stated. “He’s battled and earned his minutes, but when things are the way they are right now, you want to make sure your players are in the best possible position to succeed and I think right now he’s where he needs to be.

Villenueve has 7 points in 6 games for the Wolfpack so far this season.

Return to “Press Conferences”