Victory Hockey League -- Robust Player Run Simulation League

Discuss anything related to hockey games / gaming or online hockey games in this forum; such as EA Sports NHL series and Wolverine Sports' Faceoff Hockey. Are you working on a new hockey game? Feel free to post about it in here!
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: ADVERTISING A LEAGUE/COMPETITION/WEB SITE/FORUM IS NO LONGER PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON THE BLUE LINE. We have had too many people take liberties with this privilege; signing up simply to advertise their site and not actually contributing to the community. We also see a lot of bumping of threads which is really just spamming the site. Anybody that advertises anything on TBL will be permanently banned for spamming.
LoXish
Drafted

Victory Hockey League -- Robust Player Run Simulation League

Post by LoXish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:21 am

Hey guys,

I just started playing with VHL and I'm having fun -- it's a different type of sim, I'm surprised it's not more popular here.

Effectively it's a community run sim -- there is an application that does all the simming, the commissioner uploads and keeps track of all of the stats -- they are THIRTY (30) seasons deep and have been going for 5 years! The teams are player managed as well and there is a TON of in depth created history for the players and teams.

The cool thing is, in order to make your player better, there are weekly things you can do -- write a media spot for the league or do an exercise routine -- at the beginning you get points for writing your rookie and prospect bios and the like, it's really interesting. There are graphics challenges and video and podcast challenges too. The community is active and participatory and I'm just floored that I haven't heard about this until now.

Anyway, considering we're all still waiting for OOTP Hockey to come out at the end of the year and with how unique of a sim this is, I figured some of you would be interested.

Here's the link: http://www.vhlsim.net/smf/create-a-player/

Literally just follow the instructions to create your player and the welcoming committee will get back to you. If you want an example of one of the items that I completed for my player, here is my players Rookie Profile: http://www.vhlsim.net/smf/rookie-profile/layton-eritar/

If you decide to sign up, make sure you told em I sent ya! And drop me a line if you have questions, I've been having fun, for sure.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Re: Victory Hockey League -- Robust Player Run Simulation Le

Post by archibalduk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I heard about this on the OOTP Forums quite recently. It sounds really very interesting - kind of like the Create a Star we have tried in the past (but more elaborate).

What do they use to sim the game?

leafsnation
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by leafsnation » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Just clicked on the link provided and my anti-virus popped up with a problem.... mor.exe ....may want to be careful as the site may be compromised.

LoXish
Drafted

Post by LoXish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:06 am

Leafsnation: Which link? They are both clean and direct directly to vhlsim.net.

ArchI: They use SimonT Hockey Simulator (http://sths.simont.info/) to do all the backend simming.

Here is an example of the output it generates for a recent VHLM game: http://www.vhlsim.net/File/3-Playoffs/V ... rm-19.html

Return to “Hockey Games General Discussion”