Home team Chicago Blackhawks was one busy team before and during the NHL Draft 2017 with multiple splashes in trades and drafting.
- It started out quite calm with a waiver claim on Patrik Nemeth. "My fathers' name is Nemeth so we had to claim him" - GM Sundell commented.
- Blackhawks made a couple of draft pick trades.
In: Coyotes 1st + 2nd 2017, Panthers 6th 2017
Out: Blackhawks 1st 2017, 3rd + 6th 2018
- A huge trade was made prior the draft, changing a lot of the team. Star player Brent Seabrook was joined by Anisimov, Rasmussen and the promising Hartman in a trade that saw them going to the Kings for star center Jeff Carter, Derek Forbort and Alec Martinez.
"It was a tough trade to make but we freed up some important roster spots for our new guys and shed enough cap to be prepared for the next season. We wish all our former players a great career in LA and wish our new guys a huge welcome. Jeff (Carter) is the true second centerman we have been looking for for years and Forbort and Martinez will be aces on our backend for year to come" Sundell said "It is a trade for the future and the present that will ease the transition when it finally comes."
- Next fans got shocked to see Hjalmarsson also leaving and bringing with him fellow defender Trevor van Riemsdyk for 3rd and a 4th pick in next years draft and a 3rd in 2019. "I know this isn't a move that will please the fans but it is a move that brings great opportunities for us to make moves for the team that will make the compsition stronger at its core." GM Sundell reluctantly said to defend the move against the outrage. We will see if any of the hinted promises bear fruit or if it is just standard PR talk to save face.
The draft saw The Blackhawks picking eight players:
1. #24. Ryan Poehling, C, USA, St. Cloud State - "Ryan reminds me a lot of Toews, but more tuned to offense than the two-way game Jonathan (Toews) brings" GM Sundell praised "He is a mature young guy that will see his production increase when he finetunes his game."
2. #54. Max Gildon, LD, USA, US.NTDP - "We were shocked to see such a talented defenceman falling to us. We really like his movement on the ice in combination with his cannon of a shot."
3. #80. Semyon Koshelev, RW, Kaz, CSKA - "Semyon is a 21 year old offensive winger that is already playing like a man against men in the KHL"
5. #135. Sam Huff C/RW/LW, USA, Minnesota Golden Gophers - "Sam is a versatile playmaker who is increadbly smart. He will need to work on his skating and physicality to actually get into the right areas."
5. #141. Kirill Polokhov, LW/RD, Kaz, Barys/Torpedo Ust-Kam - "An intriguing player with a really rare skillset and positioning. He plays hard, he works hard, but he needs to work hard on his offense and ability to read the play."
6. #156. Jacob McGrew, RW, USA, ex Las Vegas Storm U18 - "A speedy smart winger that scored well in U18. Needs to add some playmaking capability to be dangerous against pro players."
6. #164, Sebastian Olsson, LW/RW, Swe, Skellefteå AIK - "A smart and blazingly fast 20-year old winger who is already a respectable player in the Swedish top league. Needs to work on his finishing."
6. #166, Alexander Samonov, G, Rus, Vityaz - "Struggled a bit in KHL this passed season but at just 21-years old it is somewhat expected. His low game in the net is already spectacular for his age but he needs to work a lot on handling higher shots to stand a chans as a pro longterm.
Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!
Moderator: Commish Team
1 post • Page 1 of 1