2017-18 Playoff Predictions

Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!

Moderator: Commish Team

Cap'n
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres
WHL Team: Buffalo Sabres

2017-18 Playoff Predictions

Post by Cap'n » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:21 am

Take a stab at predicting the 1st round!

Eastern Conference

#1 Buffalo Sabres
WC #2 Columbus Blue Jackets

CBJ won the season series 2-0-1

#2 New York Islanders
WC #1 Boston Bruins

Bruins won the season series 2-1-0

#3 Tampa Bay Lightning
#4 Detroit Red Wings

Lightning won the season series 3-0-1

#5 New York Rangers
#6 Washington Capitals

Capitals won the season series 4-1-0

Western Conference

#1 Edmonton Oilers
WC #2 Chicago Blackhawks

Oilers won the season series 2-1-0

#2 Winnipeg Jets
WC #1 Nashville Predators

Predators won the season series 3-2-0

#3 Colorado Avalanche
#5 St. Louis Blues

Blues won the season series 3-1-1

#4 Calgary Flames
#6 Phoenix Coyotes

Coyotes won the season series 3-1-1

StormCloudsGathering
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames
SBHL Team: Carolina

Re: 2017-18 Playoff Predictions

Post by StormCloudsGathering » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:33 am

1. Sabres V Blue Jackets
Sabres win in 6.
I think in the end it's no question who will win this series, I just believe CBJ Will get a bit lucky, a bit of a push from some of their players, but to no avail.
2. Islanders V Bruins
Bruins win in OT, Game 7
Though the bruins may have some key injuries, I believe their veterancy and experience will pull through in the final moments.
3. Bolts V Wings
Tampa in 6
I think though it will be a tough series, Tampa's superior depth and defensive core, as well as leadership, will pull it through to round 2 against Buffalo.
4. Rangers V Capitals
Rangers in 4, Winning by 10 goals each game

5. Oilers V Chicago
Oilers in 5
I think the oilers will win on a count of McJesus, much better depth and overall a better team.
6. Preds V Jets
Jets in 5
Just another case of a straight up superior team
7 Blues V Avalanche
Avalanche in 6
A combination of better veteran talent will win this series.
Flames V Coyotes
Coyotes in 7
Max Domi.

Mauso
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings
SBHL Team: Nashville Predators
WHL Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by Mauso » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 am

1. Sabres v Jackets - this matchup is a lot to closer to end up with a surprise than most people would thought. Sabres are fan favourites, but Columbus has its quality. They have very balanced team on top with Bobz, RyJo, Panarin, Oshie and Jenner. Onlg think missing is a star Dman (for Buffalo its clearly Burns), but Werenski is already reported as their #1 and he certainly look like he might break out this year POs. But considering Jackets were lacking consistency last few months and won WC spot mostly because of Habs inability to win, I will go with Buffalo in 6

2. Bolts v Wings - Wings might be heavily dependant on their top 2 lines, but its been working for them most part of the season. Theyve added Parise at DDL and that should just scare the Adam Oates out of Bolts as he seems like proper POs performer in a right team. But what will happen is that Bolts will just prove they can handle this. Tampa in 6

3. Islanders v Bruins - tough match up for Bears in 1st round. With Bergeron injured it will prove more than difficult to stop the 1st line of Benn-Tavares-Okposo. With Tavares getting big raise and Halak expiring (with not much cap room left in the bank) Isles will certainly be looking to make it happen this year, Islanders in 5

4. Rangers v Capitals - Rangers looks better at the first glance, but there is no one near close to Ovies level on their roster. Both teams have superstar goalies (the best 2 in league IMO) and both started 82 games in regular season. Is this Who gets injured first?, race? Rangers in 7

5. Oilers v Hawks - Nilsson might easily miss the whole series and even though Talbot isnt that bad, I dont think he THE guy. Hawks on the other hand will miss Toews for few more days and his return is crucial for them. Oilers in 7

6. Flames v Yotes - Yotes kid were over the roof in regular season. These are play offs though and their 1st C (Strome) is only 20. They will also be missing their #2Dman (Fowler) and #3Dman (DeHaan). Overally, theyd probably look better than Flames, but taking all this into account its Flames in 5

7. Jets v Preds - Jets are really balanced and seem to be on their way to conference finals, they were dominating the conference (while being in the stronger division) for most part of the season. Preds are another big time team and what they lack in defense, they have in Rinne and really fast and balanced offense. I go with a Rinne in 7!

8. Avs v Blues - AVS are rolling in the 2nd half. Their offence is real scary stuff with MacK, Couture and Kesler down the middle (basically 3 first Cs) add Landy, Rantanen, Barrie and (overperforming)Kulikov to the mix and it seems clear. Blues defense consist of Pietrangelo, Shatts, Myers, JayBo and superstar goalie Jake Allen. Seems enough to stop AVS firepower. It will be a battle between player with most points (MacKinnon) and top scorer (Senko) and I say its Senko in 6

thatoneguy1313
Minor League

Post by thatoneguy1313 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:19 am

Take a stab at predicting the 1st round!

Eastern Conference

#1 Buffalo Sabres 4
WC #2 Columbus Blue Jackets 1

#2 New York Islanders 4
WC #1 Boston Bruins 3

#3 Tampa Bay Lightning
#4 Detroit Red Wings

NO GUESS

#5 New York Rangers 2
#6 Washington Capitals 4

Western Conference

#1 Edmonton Oilers 4
WC #2 Chicago Blackhawks 3

#2 Winnipeg Jets 4
WC #1 Nashville Predators 2

#3 Colorado Avalanche 3
#5 St. Louis Blues 4

#4 Calgary Flames 4
#6 Phoenix Coyotes 1

Cap'n
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres
WHL Team: Buffalo Sabres

Post by Cap'n » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:09 am

#1 Buffalo Sabres
WC #2 Columbus Blue Jackets

After the Sabres snuck in at the end to grab their 2nd straight President's Trophy the team is laser focused on avoiding last year's disappointment. A year of playoff experience for what was a very young team last year certainly helped but missing your #1 RD (Ristolainen) for the entire 1st round is a pretty large set back. Buffalo allowed the fewest goals per game during the regular season and look to have the edge in goal. Columbus can match Buffalo's top line but the gap gets progressively wider as you work your way down the lineup. Buffalo in 6

#2 New York Islanders
WC #1 Boston Bruins

Bruins are hurting. After dominating the league for much of the year and looking every bit like they were ready to claim their 2nd cup in 3 years they limped to a 5-5 finish but some of the more synical GM's wonder how much of that had to do with injuries to key players like Bergeron and Krug and how much had to do with icing an AHL lineup in an effort to secure an arguably easier pathway through the Metro bracket. The Isles quietly went about their business this season amassing 111 pts in the new Aussie King of EHM's 1st season at the helm. The Isles are built more like a Western conference team though and that defense worries me greatly. Isles porous Defensive + Bruins Playoff experience.d... Bruins in 5

#3 Tampa Bay Lightning
#4 Detroit Red Wings

This will likely be the loudest series in terms of chat airtime. Bolts and Wings battled tooth and nail all season to earn what could be the strongest 1st round opponent in the entire playoff. The Wings had a 2nd straight year of making bold moves at the trade deadline but the concentration of talent at the top of the lineup is matched by Tampa Bay while the waves of players that Tampa continues to throw out at you. Tampa has the top end talent, the top flight goaltending, and depth of talent throughout the lineup to make quick work of the Red Wings. Lightning in 5

#5 New York Rangers
#6 Washington Capitals

Caps are defending cup champions and have shockingly undergone a 2nd GM change which is about two more changes in the front office than were made to the roster. Chronically underperformed this year, solidified their playoff position only after Hass took the reins. Rangers are another squad which has been consistently good since the start of the game. The Rangers will be without the services of budding star Emerson Etem so will likely try to button down vs. the offensively gifted Caps. It won't work. Caps in 6

Western Conference

#1 Edmonton Oilers
WC #2 Chicago Blackhawks

Some serious injuries are going to effect the early games of this series with Toews and Nilsson both being sidelined. Edmonton's top 3 lines are just too much to match up against and the Blackhawks minus their captain get off to a slow start and bow out quietly. Oilers in 5

#2 Winnipeg Jets
WC #1 Nashville Predators

For all the points that Alex Galchenyuk put up this season he actually had his worst season from an AVR standpoint. What's more, his last foray into the playoffs was pretty disastrous. Finally, the Winnipeg goaltending tandem leaves a lot to be desired. Contrast that with Pekka Rinne and James Neal who just exudes leadership and I think the Jets could be in for a very tough first round series. Preds in 7

#3 Colorado Avalanche
#5 St. Louis Blues

The Jaden Schwartz watch has begun... Will he be able to play in game 1? The more impactful question mark is which of these goaltenders is going to step up and take control of the series. I don't have faith in any of these goaltenders but I'll take the chance that Varlamov finds his game fist and at least gets out in front of some Tarasenko shots. Avs in 6

#4 Calgary Flames
#6 Phoenix Coyotes

As many have said before. Phoneix just isn't healthy enough to compete with a top team. Flames in 5

AwakenTheBacon
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
WHL Team: Islanders

Post by AwakenTheBacon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 am

Probably going to be completely wrong but anyway

Eastern Conference

Buffalo Sabres 4
vs
Columbus Blue Jackets 2

New York Islanders 2
vs
Boston Bruins 4

Tampa Bay Lightning 4
vs
Detroit Red Wings 3

New York Rangers 2
vs
Washington Capitals 4

Western Conference

Edmonton Oilers 4
vs
Chicago Blackhawks 2

Winnipeg Jets 4
vs
Nashville Predators 1

Colorado Avalanche 3
vs
St. Louis Blues 4

Calgary Flames 4
vs
Arizona Coyotes 3

GigantorTheGoalie
Prospect
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche
SBHL Team: Nights Watch Rangers

Post by GigantorTheGoalie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Eastern Conference

Buffalo Sabres 4
vs
Columbus Blue Jackets 0

It's Lumbus, no matter who they are playing who cares about the Blue Jackets. Not even Ohio cares.

New York Islanders 1
vs
Boston Bruins 4

Irrelevant team in hipster town vs. a bunch of yodels in beantown with a self inflated sense of importance. Plus I heard that Boston hired Bill Belichick to spy on Islanders practices.

Tampa Bay Lightning 0
vs
Detroit Red Wings 0

Both teams fold before the end of the series because all staff and players refuse to go to the rink.

New York Rangers 1
vs
Washington Capitals 4

I'm being optimistic by giving the Rangers a win.

Western Conference

Edmonton Oilers 4
vs
Chicago Blackhawks 1

The only upsets happening in this series will be the stomachs of those poor Chicago players who have to eat Edmonton pizza.

Winnipeg Jets 4
vs
Nashville Predators 1

Out of the teams that matter the most, these two teams don't. Terrible music city versus Antarctica. Winnipeg wins because at least winter leaves whereas that trash called music in Nashville doesn't.

Colorado Avalanche 4
vs
St. Louis Blues 2

It'd be a sweep if the Avs still had Duchene. Blues are also a perennial disappointment in playoffs. St. Louis has earned the name "the Blues" for good reason.

Calgary Flames 4
vs
Arizona Coyotes 2

I feel bad for the ten Coyotes fans who will be completely outnumbered in their own building so I'm throwing them some wins.

Andrew55
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Bruins
WHL Team: Boston Bruins

Post by Andrew55 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Eastern Conference

BUF-CBJ: Sabres in 6

NYI-BOS: Bruins in 7

TB-DET: Bolts in 7

NYR-WSH: Caps in 6

Western Conference

EDM-CHI: Oilers in 6

WPG-NSH: Jets in 5

COL-STL: Blues in 7

CGY-ARI: Flames in 5

swiftwin
Junior League
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators
WHL Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by swiftwin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Buffalo vs. Columbus
Buffalo is too strong, too deep. They managed to win the President's Trophy without Reinhart most of the season. Buffalo in 4.

NYI vs. Boston
Boston has been very very solid defensively, has been through the playoff battles, and has Rask. Boston in 6

Tampa Bay vs. Detroit
Tampa is infinitely deeper. Detroit's D is very suspect. Tampa in 5

NYR vs. Washington
Rangers have been steady, but Washington has more explosiveness. Washington has also been trending upwards since getting a new, and more active GM. Washington in 5

Edmonton vs. Chicago
Edmonton has tons of depth, but had a weak finish to the season. Compound that with Nilsson being hurt, Chicago and their vets are going to give the Oilers some trouble. Edmonton in 7

Winnipeg vs. Nashville
Winnipeg has the best offense in the league, Nashville has the best defense in the West. Winnipeg also had a ridiculous shootout record. It won't save them in the playoffs. Nashville in 6

Colorado vs. St. Louis
Colorado was very strong to end the season. They've cleaned up their defensive side very well too. I can't see the meandering Blues putting up too much of a fight. Colorado in 5

Calgary vs. Arizona
Rematch of last year. Arizona has too many injuries, and the Flames are looking solid as usual. Unlike last year, this won't be as close. Calgary in 5

Axiaste
Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning
WHL Team: San Jose Sharks

Post by Axiaste » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:52 pm

East

Buffalo vs. Columbus
Buffalo in 5

New York Islanders vs. Boston
New York in 6

Tampa Bay vs. Detroit
Tampa Bay in 6

New York Rangers vs. Washington
Washington in 7

West

Edmonton vs. Chicago
Edmonton in 4

Winnipeg vs. Nashville
Nashville in 6

Colorado vs. St. Louis
Colorado in 4

Calgary vs. Arizona
Calgary in 7

Mauso
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings
SBHL Team: Nashville Predators
WHL Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by Mauso » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Sabres vs Wings - Wings proved the whole league wrong once, but I dont see that happening twice, Sabres in 6

Bruins vs Caps - Bruins in 2nd round are great surprise for me, that should be it for them though (unless opponents starter gets injured :P ), Caps in 6

Yotes vs Oilers - Yotes has proven they are dangerous, but Oilers should be too much for them to digest, Oilers in 5

Avs vs Jets - I expect even match up, better goaltender will help Avs win, Avs in 7

swiftwin
Junior League
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators
WHL Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by swiftwin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Buffalo in 6
Boston in 6

Edmonton in 6
Colorado in 5

Return to “Press Conferences”