2018 Playoff prediction thread

Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!

Moderator: Commish Team

Mauso
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings
SBHL Team: Nashville Predators
WHL Team: New Jersey Devils

2018 Playoff prediction thread

Post by Mauso » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 pm

WEST

Avalanche vs Predators - AVS in 4

Wild vs Blues - they already beat them with Tarasenko in POs, Wild in 6

Flames vs Jets - I feel like Jets will have that little extra something, Jets in 7

Ducks vs Oilers - Oilers are better team, Edmonton in 6

EAST

Capitals vs Leafs - Tears will Rinneing in Toronto, Caps in 6

Devils vs Rangers

Senators vs Lightning - will be a tough clash, Bolts had better offense, but worse defense during regular season, Sens in 7

Sabres vs Bruins - well, Id say they didnt plan to face each other this early, but Ill go with Sabres in 7

Jagaski
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres

Re: 2018 Playoff prediction thread

Post by Jagaski » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:35 am

Western Conference

COL Vs. NAS - Colorado in 5. Nashville goal tending, despite the win loss ratio, will be the downfall of the #8 seed here.

MIN Vs. STL - STL in 7. This may or may not be a biased opinion :-p

CGY Vs. WPG - CGY in 5. Flames will lose game 1, then when Neuvirth returns WPG can begin to put their golfing shoes on.

ANA Vs. EDM - EDM in 6. EDM has this guy name Connor McDavid.... he's pretty good. They also have a guy by the name of Taylor Hall... he's pretty good too. These 2 guys will carry EDM on their backs through the 1st round.

Eastern Conference

WSH Vs. TOR - WSH in 4. Brayden Holtby is just so good!

NJ Vs. NYR - NYR in 7. I think Lundqvist has one more season in him. Plus Manina picked me to lose...

OTT Vs. TB - OTT in 4.

BUF Vs. BOS - BUF in 6. Buffalo is probably headed to the Stanley Cup.... probably won't win it... but they'll probably win the Eastern Conference...

Cap'n
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres
WHL Team: Buffalo Sabres

Post by Cap'n » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:07 am

Western Conference

COL Vs. NAS - After Colorado ran through the playoffs last year and somehow managed to build a stronger team you won't find me doubting their capabilities. Dano is a wily GM though and will not go down without a fight. That said, Colorado's roster is just too stacked for Nashville to dent it to much (though other Western GM's will no doubt root for the Preds to play a very physical game!). Avalanche in 5

MIN Vs. STL - Minnesota has been quietly good all season. The Blues managed to outscore the Wild and clinch the regular season series but there's a rather large hole in the St Louis lineup that used to be Tarasenko. Where will the offense come from in his absence? I don't think they figure it out. Wild in 5

CGY Vs. WPG - This was a very close series in the regular season and given that Calgary is starting the matchup without their starting goalkeeper I think a natural advantage swings to Winnipeg. Goaltending will be the story of this series. Who can get competent starts? Plenty of star power in both lineups but I like Stamkos to take advantage of the goaltending situation. Jets in 6

ANA Vs. EDM - Very good 1st round matchup. Lots of good young talent on both squads. Hard not to be impressed with the turnaround that Eric got out of his Ducks squad. But, I think they're a year or two ahead of schedule and are going to struggle with the talent in the Oilers lineup which on paper would is a pretty big advantage. Oilers in 5

Eastern Conference

WSH Vs. TOR - The Leafs had the season we expected to see last year this year. Good to see the team bounce back from last year's disappointment but this Capitals team is simply too good for them to handle in the first round, even with Rinne. I'll say they steal a game. Capitals in 5

NJ Vs. NYR - Another great rags to riches story in the East. Easier to do that when you strike gold with both your lottery picks! I'm very eager to see what Matthew Dumba does in his first return to the playoffs, he's grown tremendously in his atts, will his Playoff game rise to match? In the end, I simply don't trust Halak to stay healthy and get the job done. Rangers in 7

OTT Vs. TB - Big disparity in seeding but really very little that separates these two teams. Ottawa managed to snag the 2 seed on the final day of the regular seeding but that may have been at the expense of game 1 as Carlson is said to be sidelined due to an ice time suspension that was unserved on the seasons final sim. Tampa Bay is too talented to give weaken your lineup in this way and expect that it will work out. Quick vs. Bobrovsky is another major story line this series. I've been hyper critical of Bobrovsky in past seasons and I have no reason to believe that he won't melt down once again. Lightning in 6

BUF Vs. BOS - Epic collapse in Buffalo as the Sabres limped to the finish for no discernible reason. The team did finish the final 6 games in April taking .750% of the points so perhaps they've turned it around in time. Both of these squads are Cup caliber teams and either could do well in the next round. The Sabres went through a major rebuild this past year but the word emanating from the Buffalo locker room is that they like this year's lineup even better than last year's cup finalist squad. Boston and Rask will not make it easy though. Boston comes in well rested after sporting an AHL lineup recently. Their GM is squarely focused on bringing the cup back to Boston. In the end I believe Buffalo's top end talent runs too deep and Schneider will hold serve against the impressive Rask. This series could be swung in either direction by a major injury but as it stands today. Sabres in 6

bjl
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: pittsburgh penguins
WHL Team: Minnesota Wild

Post by bjl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:37 am

Avs in 4. Flames in 5. Oils in 6. Caps in 7. Rangers in 4. Bolts in 7. Sabres in 5. :nod:
:groupwave:

Andrew55
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Bruins
WHL Team: Boston Bruins

Post by Andrew55 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 pm

West

COL Vs. NAS - COL IN 5. Avs are so good.

MIN Vs. STL - MIN in 6. It's difficult to win without Tarasenko.

CGY Vs. WPG - CGY in 7. It should be a great series.

ANA Vs. EDM - EDM in 7. Another close series, anything can happen.

East

WAS Vs. TOR - WAS in 6. Caps are the favorite team but Leafs are better than people think.

NJ Vs. NYR - NJ in 6. Lundqvist will probably steal a game or two but Devils should win.

OTT Vs. TB - TB in 7. Hard series to predict, either team can win.

BUF Vs. BOS - BOS in 7. Both teams are great, I hope Boston wins it.

aussiehabit
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Montreal
SBHL Team: Nucks

Post by aussiehabit » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:34 am

EAST

Caps vs Laffs- Caps in 5

Devils vs Rangers - Rags in 5

Senators vs Lightning - Sens in 7

Sabres vs Bruins - Bruins in 7

WEST