Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Oh, this wasn't a scout recommendation. As the season is kicking off you get those messages about that year's draft and who the top 3 ranked players are for it. I looked at the message and saw his attributes. WOW! :-o

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, but I just can't help from being jealous of good players like that I can't get :\ :beer: :-({|= :cry: (sorry I'm bored at work and in a smiley mood :razz: )

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

He went #2 overall for the draft end of season 2 to the Blue Jackets. He's 9P in 20 games at -12, but it's the Blue Jackets. The kid's more developed than 3/4 of the stock TB roster.

Hutsutin
Junior League

Post by Hutsutin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Season 2..

We expected to be in playoffs for sure.. Now after 40 games, we are 14th place and Stamkos is injured for two months :rant: and last ten games is 2-7-1. Not good, Stamkos has missed now 12 games (28gp 37pts) and is still our best point and goal scorer. :)

Apollo
Junior League

Post by Apollo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am

Decided to get back in the challenges. Bruins idea (joke) of tanking gave me motivation. I like the idea of going home grown so I am going to play it like that, essentially tanking season 1 and 2 so that by season 4 and 5 I have good young players and players like Drouin have matured while getting rid of St. Louis, Malone and the like. Shouldn't take to long to get through a season when you're tanking it. I should go ask the Sabres.

Can I trade for an extra draft pick/player rights if I don't trade for a player or sign a UFA? Otherwise I may implement my own rules like I can't sign a guy over 25 to keep with the young homegrown mentality.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:32 am

Apollo wrote: Can I trade for an extra draft pick/player rights if I don't trade for a player or sign a UFA? Otherwise I may implement my own rules like I can't sign a guy over 25 to keep with the young homegrown mentality.
No, and you can't sign guys under 24 so you are really limiting yourself

Hutsutin
Junior League

Post by Hutsutin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Germany has been unbelievable in World Champs. 2014 winners and 2015 runner-ups :o they beat team canada who had Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Eberle etc..

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 pm

That is awesome! I love it when weird stuff like that happens. Guess all the NHL teams with good Germans out of playoffs!!!

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Just finished the first season. Started off really shaky then stabilized a bit, was in the playoff race in january then the team stopped winning. Had one streak with 8 games without a win, another with 6. I looked at the draft list for the summer in the beginning of February and decided to tank the season to try and get Ekblad instead of trying to fix the tactics and try to win some games. Ended up 3rd from the bottom so with some luck i will get Ekblad, since Salo doesn't want to resign i really hope i get Ekblad to replace him. Seeing as Ekblad is the only defender in the draft thats ready for NHL (atleast when looking at the attributes and draft rankings) i think i will go with a C unless i can get Ekblad.

Top-6 played well for the whole season, everyone above 50 points with Stamkos at 42 goals and 95 points to top it. Paradis should be a candidate for Calder with his 30+ goals and 60+ points. Bottom 6 was really bad, horrid actually. Played with 7 D-men for most of the season, Carle and Sustr had horrible +/- but that might be mostly couse of my lack of actually coaching. Went with Desjardins and Lindbäck in goal, they did poorly. Not gonna sign a goalie in the off season either way, going to give Helenius a shot next season and if that doesn't work i might sign someone. Namestnikov lit the ECHL up and was the leagues best player, will give him a spot to start the next season.

For the next season i hope to sign 2 bottom 6 guys that can log some time in the PK (If i get Ekblad, otherwise i need 1 D-man). Hopefully i can save the trades for when the teams go nuts close to the deadline. Anyone know how to handle Drouin? He has pretty good attributes but he doesn't light the juniors up (0.8 PPG, 6.5 AVG), guess his size makes it hard for him.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:32 am

I won the draft lottery! :joy:

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:01 am

Hutsutin wrote:Germany has been unbelievable in World Champs. 2014 winners and 2015 runner-ups :o they beat team canada who had Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Eberle etc..
Yeah, Finland was relegated in both World Hockey Championships and the Juniors. Not sure what's going on with the Finns.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 am

I'm interested to read everyone's thoughts/actions regarding St. Louis. I'm mid-way through season 3 and to start the season, his speed, stamina, and strength were at 11-14-10 , as of January he's at 8-11-7, not being practice related (as the rest of the guys are up in attributes), I would imagine that it's just about time for him to retire. From the stats I have written down, he's at about half performance from the first season, but then again he's about to hit 41. I've been reading some other posts from some of you who've tried to trade him mid-late 2nd season with no luck on the NTC. I tried to get him to drop his NTC clause but he just gets unhappy (though his production stepped up a little bit). I'm not sure if he'd give it up this late in his career or what he might fetch in a trade. I did offer him out just to see and one team offered a 3rd round pick but that was about it. For those starting, I would suggest coming up with a plan to deal with him at the very beginning of season 2 when you can trade, or try to get the NTC waived before the end of season 2 to see if he might go late in the season to a team in a playoff spot (if you're not there). Looks like he's going to ride his career out here; hasn't wanted to sign a new contract either.

Hutsutin
Junior League

Post by Hutsutin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 pm

batdad wrote:That is awesome! I love it when weird stuff like that happens. Guess all the NHL teams with good Germans out of playoffs!!!
They had only Tomas Greiss (10games in NHL), Korbinian Holzer (AHL, no NHL games), Alexander Sulzer (70gp in NHL) and John Tripp (AHL no NHL games). And one player from KHL (backup Goalie Kotschnew) other players from DEL/NLA.

Playing in playoffs was Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Sturm (yeah playing in Canucks) and Marcel Goc.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Anyone has some good knowledge on how to use young guys? I'm going to try Ekblad in the NHL to start with for 10 games and re-evaluate after, where should the cut off be? 7.00 avg rating?

Edit: Just played the off season and got Torts as my new Ass GM and promoted Paul Coffey as my new Head Coach. Also strenghtened my bottom 6 with David Moss and Trevor Lewis for just under $1m each. I'm very happy with that off season, if Ekblad doesn't work out i will use one of my trades for a RD.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm in season 2 and I already know I won't be re-signing St. Louis. He's got skills but physically he's just not good enough anymore.

In regards to younger players, you've got to be careful. You want to make sure they get icetime but you also want to make sure you don't put too much on them. There's a very fine line. I've brought up Lindback (I think I might have to return him or have him clear waivers at a certain point) and sent Vasilevsky down to the AHL because Vasilevsky wasn't getting enough starts and struggled when he did play. I'm hoping a little time in the AHL will help him out. I'm also looking to send Forsberg down as soon as he turns 20 years old (sometime in January IIRC). He's not doing all that well on the third line and I'd like to see him get some quality minutes in the AHL at least for a while. I'll probably use my pick for veteran deal to bring in a replacement when the time comes.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Quick question, there are no age restrictions in player for player trades right?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Nope. No age restrictions. Just keep in mind that both the incoming and outgoing players must be under contract (no dealing of player rights) and that the player you are trading out has been under contract to you for at least a year.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

bruins72 wrote:Nope. No age restrictions. Just keep in mind that both the incoming and outgoing players must be under contract (no dealing of player rights) and that the player you are trading out has been under contract to you for at least a year.
Yeah, read through the rules and saw that i couldn't trade between 15th July and 15th October anyway. Had a nice trade lined up otherwise, but its fine. I'm going to give Drouin a chance in the top line to start the season instead, so i got both Drouin and Ekblad in the lineup to start the season. Will be interesting to see how they perform :) The D-line is giving me some headache, don't know who to play from Lee, Korobev and Aulie. Lost Desjardins on Waivers so i wont trade Bishop :/ Helenius and Lindbäck will start the season with no #1, whoever performs gets the job. They will split the work 50/50 for the first 20 games.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 pm

So I think I'm going to try training Forsberg at LW for a bit. It's worth a shot at this point.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Just an update on how the challenge has been for me.

Season 1 was as expected. Finished 11th place. Went with a more physical approach. Stamkos, Filppula and Hedman were great but none of my young guys really stepped up despite the tactics/practice time used. At the draft, I picked up a center--Jared McCann with the 7th overall pick. Robby Fabbri and Jordan Maletta (also centers) were selected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. All are coming along nicely as of Season 3.

During the offseason, Jon Cooper was sacked and I promoted Rick Bowness to Head Coach. Ahead of Season 2, I thought Jonathan Drouin might be ready for a regular spot in the lineup but he had a terrible camp and despite playing 5 preseason games I made the decision to send him back to the Q. My UFA signing for Season 2 was Jonathan Ericsson who helped to steady my Top-4 knowing that I'd probably be losing the aging Sami Salo.

Season 2 was mainly a rebuilding year for the Lightning. Several young guns were given Top-9 roles on a more mobile, offensive team. One guy who fell off the map in the first 40 games was Ryan Malone. His contract was terrible (IRL too) and he was easily moved to Anaheim for a 2nd Round Pick (previousl Calgary's). Ben Bishop sank on my depth chart from #2 to #4 behind Lindback, Desjardins and Vasilevsky and he was promptly traded to Detroit for winger Teemu Pulkkinen who is coming along nicely as 3rd/4th line winger. Vladislav Namestnikov was promoted from AHL Syracuse and formed a very strong line with Teddy Purcell and Valtteri Filppula. He won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie, potting 30 goals along the way.

Over the stretch, we suffered some serious injuries to the Top-6 and finished 15th in the East. Rick Bowness was let go and Peter Laviolette was promoted to Head Coach. Lost the lottery too but 2nd Overall Pick isn't anything to complain about. With the Jets taking Nathan Noel 1st Overall, I snagged defenseman Don Francis. My UFA signing for Season 3 was Nikolai Zherdev who was coming off a 27-point season in Calgary where he was used primarily as a 4th-line winger. As of this writing, he already has 51 points in 36 games played.

Season 3 is moving along nicely. It's been a dogfight with Washington and Carolina for 1st in the Southeast Division and 1st in the Eastern Conference. I'm spending a lot of time with the Syracuse Crunch managing Andrei Vasilevsky's growth. Jared McCann made the team out of training camp and is proving to be invaluable as a 2nd/3rd line center as well as seeing significant PK time. Martin St. Louis' time is coming to an end with the Lightning as he continues to suffer from various short-term injuries and isn't even seeing PP time at this point.

I'm struggling a little with getting Stamkos signed to an extension. He refuses anything more than a 1-year deal at 7.5 to 8 million. I've even tried offering him 12 million annually for 5 years.

Some interesting things I've noted from others' stories. Korobov appears to be decent for everyone except me. He hasn't developed properly and over 3 seasons, he has yet to rise above 10th on the depth chart. Interestingly, Nesterov has turned into a very good puck-moving D-man and is seeing some time as the 6th/7th defenseman with Taormina.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good playoff run this year.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:00 pm

After 5 games it was obvious that Drouin was not ready so sent him back to juniors. Namestnikov is doing really good as my 3rd line C to start the season, hope he continues to do well. Ekblad has started well.

I wonder if it will be impossible to get Drouin to play well in the NHL, 5'8 149lbs is really really small.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Yep. He is going to struggle in EHM>

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:24 pm

I got him up to 178 pounds and he's managed 30+ points for me after 40 games.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Just finished season 3. Went 48-29-5 and ended up 3rd in the East, which was a significant improvement from last year. Went 1 round into the playoffs and lost the series 4-1 to the Canes. Although I ran most of the season out of 1st and 2nd place and had a PP that was ranked 1st in the east (2nd overall) and a top 1/3rd PK, I knew deep down it wasn't going to last and around the last 15 games I started to see a significant decrease in the performance of my top lines and my goaltender. I am seeing some significant issues as far as speed is concerned with my current lineup, so hopefully I can patch in those holes and grab a decent RW to fill the void left by St. Louis. Going from 15th to 3rd, I'm hoping the off season will provide me with the opportunity to firm things up and make a legit deep run in the playoffs next season. I'll be spending the bulk of my time reevaluating my prospects and seeing who might be ready to move up.

Leeman; I didn't have much luck with Korobov either. I've been using Slater Koekkoek as a younger guy, and had been playing Radko Gudas in 'Cuse until this season when I pulled him up to play No. 5-6 Dman. I've noticed some issues with the D line as they have difficulty keeping up with opponents without earning a penalty for their efforts. I'd assume that most of it is tactical which I need to work out. I did pick up Grant Clitsome in a trade for Jaroslav Janus (who wasn't projected to be much more than mid-range AHL tender at best). Being the start of season 4, hopefully I can land a nice UFA for the $5mil.

kabbott50
Drafted

Post by kabbott50 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 pm

bruins72 wrote:Man... I almost want to tank season 2 just to have a chance at drafting Nathan Noel. At 17 he's already looking like he would make a run for the #2 center job on my NHL roster.
Great newfie kid! Playing well IRL on a not so great Saint John team.

Return to “Challenge Forum”