Nucks - Be A Player Journey Blog

Got some big news to share? Let us know in here!

Moderator: Commish Team

aussiehabit
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Montreal
SBHL Team: Nucks

Post by aussiehabit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Player Profile

Name: Taryn Beck (aka Aussiehabit)
Hometown: Thornhill, Manitoba
Shoot: L Position: C

--------
Draft Day:

ISS Ranking: #62
Drafted By: Vancouver Canucks 34th OA 2022
-------
Junior Stats:

Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
2022-23: 72GP - 20G - 31A - 51PTS - -5 - 30PIM - 13Sh% - 6.85AvR
--------

Background:

As a young boy growing up in Thornhill, Manitoba, Taryn Beck never dreamed of an NHL career. The pro league just seemed too far away from the young man’s small-town life. After all, his family has been a cattle farmers for 3 generations. Even at a young age, his love for sports was recognised by his family. Perhaps it’s in the genes, his mom was an Olympian badminton player for China before she met his dad while on a university exchange program. Young Taryn had a talent for hockey that was surpassed only by his love for the sport, and it wasn’t long before he set off on a path that would take him away from his hometown to a new life in Alberta.

Nucks Management Assessment:

Speed kills. It’s our main strategy as we focus on our rebuilding. Our fans can see this trait present among the younger pieces that is currently in our lineup. Hischier and Horvat are our poster boy for speed down the middle, as well as Virtanen, Olson, Ostir to compliment on the wings.

We are very excited to add Taryn Beck to our prospect pool. In addition to his speed, his overall skating ability is celebrated among scouts. Furthermore, he’s not just fast in a straight line, but his agility gives him the opportunities to be a rover for the puck. It helps in his two-way game, something our coaches will love. Although, speed isn’t his only positive attribute. Beck is an incredible playmaker and his intelligence is yet another strength. Throw in his courage to take on players bigger than he is and you have a very intriguing player. We will break down his a game a little more down below.

Nucks Head Scout:

Taryn Beck has certainly piqued my interest. I would describe him as tenacious player, which is exciting to hear for our fans. His game blends multiple styles together and I am impressed by his skating and offensive instincts.

It’s also promising he can use his skills in the defensive zone, despite having a size and strength disadvantage. However, he can develop the latter of those two things over the next few years. Work ethic can be an understated trait since it’s hard to quantify.

However, I do appreciate how hard Beck works to make himself better. Some players at this age feel they don’t have to do anything more and can get by on their skill alone. As you have seen in NHL history, that is not always the case

Of course there are a few question marks. I’m not concerned about his size, though at 5’9” he need to get a bit bulked up. Many see him capable 3rd line center down the road. Additionally, strength is a very noticeable deficiency. Beck has the frame to be very suited for today’s fast transition game. It will take a lot of work to get there, but if there’s anyone who can do it, I think it’s Taryn Beck.

Pro Scouts Assessment:
He is used in all situations, but he is most dangerous on the power play thanks to his keen vision and ability to pump shots through traffic. He is used to take big draws, kill off an important penalty or run the offense from inside the zone during late/close situations.

Beck has good straight-line speed and average first-step quickness, but he is elusive and agile within tight spaces. He’s a cerebral player and an excellent stickhandler with soft hands who positions himself properly to exploit mistakes in the neutral zone.

NHL Projection:

3rd line all situation C - similar to Tomas Plekanec with more offensive flair
----

aussiehabit
Commish Team
Favourite Team: Montreal
SBHL Team: Nucks

Post by aussiehabit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am

At the Draft Interview:

BAP: During the draft, at the end of the first day, GM Vic was overheard saying, “Why hasn’t anybody taken Taryn Beck?”. Is having your GM in your corner and so confident in your abilities something that gives you confidence, or do you see it as added pressure?

TB: I think a little bit of both. I think, obviously, it's always nice to have the management on your side. We spoke after the podium and he said that the scouting staff were very high on my abilities. He has seen my videos and very happy with the way I play and everything, so I think that’s really cool, but at the same time I think that that adds on — I put a lot of pressure on myself also because I want to succeed. I know that when you get drafted, you are expected you to play at a high pace and a high level every single night, so that’s something that I'll be working on.

BAP: At the Combines, you were quoted as saying that you’re happy to be drafted by the Canucks because you felt that their rebuilding will fit in nicely with your development timeline. With Weitsche, Brausen, Gal, Chladek, and Wise in the system, how will you compete against those guys down the road.

TB: You know, right now I'm just going out and playing my game. I think that’s something my coaches, even Vancouver, got the point across that they want me to go out and be a great competitor every night and someone that people hate to play against and everything else will come with it. Yeah, just keep doing my thing and try to produce and win games for Red Deer. Hopefully we will improve from last year and be in the PO, I really want to take my game to the next level and help my team to get there. It would also be nice to be selected to the U-20 WJC to compete against the best prospects in the World.

BAP: Where do you want to be at the start of the 2022-23 season?

TB: I’m not really sure right now. Obviously I think my goal is to play in Vancouver as soon as possible, but I think that, you know, it could go a lot of different ways from here. I'm looking forward to the mini summer camp and then attend the training camp in September. Over the summer, I would like to focus on my weight and physical strengths.

I think whatever Vancouver has planned for me, I’m going to trust them and develop until I’m good enough to be a contributor in the NHL.

---------

Return to “Press Conferences”