Attribute Colours v1.1 [Updated 25 April 2015]

Add a little extra something to your Eastside Hockey Manager 1 skins.
Shindigs
Fringe Player
Custom Rank: Gone scouting
Favourite Team: Fagersta AIK

Re: Attribute Colours v1.1 [Updated 25 April 2015]

Post by Shindigs » Sun May 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Kobrakay wrote:I saw in this thread that the boxes seem to be hard coded and theres nothing one can do to have only the numbers.

But searching for EHM pictures in google shows the numbers without the boxes T_T (searching for Connor Mcdavid will get back a picture of Crosby in the Flyers with this, and from the layout of the screen it seems is for EHM:EA and not the old game). Since the posts stating it is hardcoded are somewhat old, I just wanted to confirm if anyone found any solution to this from that point onwards or if I really need to get used to the boxes.

Thanks in advance :)
You can remove the boxes, it's pretty easy actually. You just open the UI elements for the boxes in Photoshop/Paint/what-have-you and then you change them into being blank 0 opacity images (easy to do in PS at least). Personally I've made it so the boxes are 100% opacity, but you can just as easily make them 0% opacity. This also lets you get full brightness colors. So If you want to have a bright yellow, like some previous poster did. You very much can.

There doesn't however seem to be any way to make the text change colour based on the value, or a way to change it period. It's always roundabout 218 218 218 RGB with a slightly darker shadow. I was playing around with the idea of making the text invisible by making it the same color as the shadow, and then changing the background color of the normal and good values to the same color. This way you can only see the values of the excellent and poor attributes, making for a pseudo "hidden attributes" but still able to tell what the player is awesome/awful at, since that would be pretty easy to tell for just about anyone who's seen the player in action. Sadly there is no value for the attribute color. And it doesn't seem to pull from any of the other colors either. I've tried changing all the off-white ones, none had any effect.

The only other option I could think of was to open the font in a font editor to remove all the numbers, thus making the attribute boxes empty and putting the same color for both normal/good. And only having poor/excellent be other distinguishable colors. Sadly there are only 3 fonts in the game, and the one used for the attribute boxes (Proxima Bold) is also used for age, birthdate and salary. Which means all those numbers go bye bye too with that approach, which isn't exactly ideal.

So I just ended up putting the same 218 218 218 RGB color on both normal and good, while giving poor (200 0 0) and excellent (0 200 0) standout colors, going all the way to 255 made it so bright it was painful to look at. It's not perfect, but it makes it so you can only tell what the normal/good attributes actually are by focusing on them, which you shouldn't if you like playing with hidden attributes. The reason I felt the need to do this is that even if you scout a player for the better part of a year, your scouts will generally not warn about someone having 5 workrate. Which isn't amazing, and this approach gets around that problem without giving perfect information.

This is what I ended up with, as a way to make it very easy to block out the middle of the line attributes. While making it super easy to tell the poor and excellent attributes at a glance.

WARNING! Before doing any of the things descibed below, make a copy of the D:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\Eastside Hockey Manager\data\skins\ehm_default\button\attribute folder and put it somewhere else, that way if you prefer the default look, you can just paste that back in to revert back to normal.

This is a zip of the Attribute folders with 100% Opacity, just extract it to D:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\Eastside Hockey Manager\data\skins\ehm_default\button and you've got 100% opacity boxes.

This is the 0% Opacity, extract to the same place as above.

This is what the no box style looks like; same player as above.

Note that neither of these will change the color scheme itself, they will just change the opacity of the boxes. This will make the default colors look quite bright though, so I'd suggest toning them down by editing the ehm_default.col file in the D:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\Eastside Hockey Manager\data\skins folder to tone them down to whichever level you prefer. I found 200 to be about right for my eyes.

djskek
Checking Line

Post by djskek » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Note that neither of these will change the color scheme itself, they will just change the opacity of the boxes. This will make the default colors look quite bright though, so I'd suggest toning them down by editing the ehm_default.col file in the D:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\Eastside Hockey Manager\data\skins folder to tone them down to whichever level you prefer. I found 200 to be about right for my eyes.[/quote]

How do I get the white attributes colored? Where can I find the command?

Shindigs
Fringe Player
Custom Rank: Gone scouting
Favourite Team: Fagersta AIK

Post by Shindigs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:01 pm

djskek wrote:
Shindigs wrote:Image

Note that neither of these will change the color scheme itself, they will just change the opacity of the boxes. This will make the default colors look quite bright though, so I'd suggest toning them down by editing the ehm_default.col file in the D:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\Eastside Hockey Manager\data\skins folder to tone them down to whichever level you prefer. I found 200 to be about right for my eyes.
How do I get the white attributes colored? Where can I find the command?
You can't sadly. The game doesn't distinguish between the text in a low attribute and the text in a high attribute. It's the same text as far as the game is concerned.

djskek
Checking Line

Post by djskek » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:09 pm

I wrote to Riz. Perhaps he can help, reprogram or integrate a new function.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Very cool work Shindigs and of course CJ and all the other contributors. I'll share my personalized color scheme as well...

Much like Catamo (and Shindigs), I've really tried to go with a 3-tier color system...it looks less cluttered and a bit easier to "read at a glance". Because I play mostly at the NHL level, I've made both poor and average a reddish hue although I've given them a slight, slight difference. So there are really 4 colors but upon initial reading, it's more like 3. So when I take a quick glance at a player, I notice red = bad for NHL-level attributes, the subdued neutral yellowish shade = solid for the NHL-level attributes and the green then really pops as something a player is really, really terrific at. I love the clarity of Shindigs Green/Gray/Red scheme but with some more subtle colors.

I then stole the "boxes" from Minstrel's Minty One skin - the rounded edges and smaller shape giving the attributes a bit more definition IMO and a slightly more modern look.

So in practice for me...I scroll to say Matt Nieto's profile and without too much effort I can quickly discern he's pretty sub-standard technically (although he has some solid defensive attributes) and averge-ish mentally but man he can skate and he works his butt off. Visually, it is easy to read him as a textbook checking line player with some really PK ability.

Andreas Martinson on the other hand...lots of red, he's a pretty sub-standard player but he's definitely strong and physical and can lay a hit. Could be a 4th liner on a physical depth line but looks more like an NHL/AHL tweener to me.

My boy Lando is a pretty average player when it comes to the technical and physical sides (although a little closer inspection reveals a lot of 14's and 15's which are closer to green than red) but he's a really, really mentally strong player. He'll need to be to captain the shipwreck that is the H.M.S. Avalanche.

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 am

BKarchitect - I like yours very much. The colors are good (mby a brighter green/red) and the boxes make it much clearer imo.

I would only argue that 16 should be in the good category, might even consider 15.

You say Lando looks pretty average when it comes to the technical and physical atts but he is one of the top LWs in the game.

Great work though, would you mind sharing it?

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:57 am

m0fownz0r wrote:I would only argue that 16 should be in the good category, might even consider 15.
We can't edit what numbers belongs to which colour.

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

CJ wrote:
m0fownz0r wrote:I would only argue that 16 should be in the good category, might even consider 15.
Now that you've said, I remember that was the case. Seems odd though.

There a lot of players that have stats between 13 - 16 across the board but always performing super good. There are even cases where a player with 13 - 16 in just selected few atts is playing great. So, I thought, the game would treat the upper part (15-16) as great atts not just normal, or goodish.

colinrsmall
Prospect

Post by colinrsmall » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:43 pm

@BKarchitect Would it possible to upload your scheme? I would make it, but I can't find the boxes you're talking about...

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 pm

m0fownz0r wrote:
CJ wrote:
Now that you've said, I remember that was the case. Seems odd though.

There a lot of players that have stats between 13 - 16 across the board but always performing super good. There are even cases where a player with 13 - 16 in just selected few atts is playing great. So, I thought, the game would treat the upper part (15-16) as great atts not just normal, or goodish.
There are only 4 colour "boxes" we can edit. And those numbers are always the same unfortunately. I requested ones of Riz that this could be adjustable. As it shouldn't a difficult one to edit. But beware of players. There are many hidden attributes on players. ;)

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

Put the unarchive the attribute file into data/skins/ehm_default/button (there is a folder called "attribute" there...back it up if you need to first). Again, all credit to Minstrel and his Minty One skin for these, hopefully he doesn't mind me posting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vwimezzbwddl ... e.rar?dl=0

Here is the color:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gijgkmekj7z49 ... t.col?dl=0

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_LOW
88 200 100 100

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_NORMAL
89 255 130 130

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_GOOD
90 255 255 200

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_EXCELLENT
91 130 255 130

colinrsmall
Prospect

Post by colinrsmall » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 pm

BKarchitect wrote:Put the unarchive the attribute file into data/skins/ehm_default/button (there is a folder called "attribute" there...back it up if you need to first). Again, all credit to Minstrel and his Minty One skin for these, hopefully he doesn't mind me posting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vwimezzbwddl ... e.rar?dl=0

Here is the color:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gijgkmekj7z49 ... t.col?dl=0

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_LOW
88 200 100 100

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_NORMAL
89 255 130 130

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_GOOD
90 255 255 200

# PROFILE_ATTRIB_EXCELLENT
91 130 255 130
Thanks! Uhh, do you happen to have a backup of the original attribute background?

colinrsmall
Prospect

Post by colinrsmall » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Also, do you know how the attribute backgrounds were edited/made?

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:39 am

colinrsmall wrote:Also, do you know how the attribute backgrounds were edited/made?
Can you be a bit more specific? Don't really understand what you mean?

colinrsmall
Prospect

Post by colinrsmall » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 am

CJ wrote:
colinrsmall wrote:Also, do you know how the attribute backgrounds were edited/made?
Can you be a bit more specific? Don't really understand what you mean?
Sorry, I meant the round color backgrounds as opposed to the default square ones. I think I figured it out tho.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Open the file in my download and you will see a bunch of image files, mostly very very small that are compiled together to make a single attribute background. The best way to edit them is probably to compile them all together in one image so you can "see" what the final background looks like and then break them back up into their separate parts.

I find it to be a ton of work...so all credit to the few people who have actually put together entirely new or updated "skins" for the game.

Even if you used my download and overwrote all the images in your standard skin, you should be able to go into the colorblind skin folder and pull the original background shape images from the same place and restore them in your default skin.

Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League
Favourite Team: Anaheim Ducks

Post by Smirnov2Chistov » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

I must be doing it wrong. I'm trying to see whats visually more appealing, the girly color set or the FHM set. I extracted the zip, renamed the file but when I'm playing the game, the colors don't change. Help? lol?

Return to “Skin Elements”