EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.
BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I figured out the color thing, for some reason "new" colors or colors with a UID above a certain level (so far, good values are 500-596ish) cause the in-game screen to do weird things.

Basically, my recommendation is don't add a bunch of new colors, they may not work correctly. Simply tweak the 95 or so good colors already in there.

I re-did the entire color system for my DB, was sick of none of the colors making sense and the whole "NHL" set of colors. Was quite a project (first had to find the "bad" colors and then using export/import, verify every color of every team and every comp in the game) but everything works great now and my color drop down is a perfectly in-tune rainbow with sensible names and orders and lots of new modern colors...no more guessing if I should use Blue 3, NHL Blue 2 or Nucks Navy for a team with a certain shade of blue! :-D

Image Image Image

xECK29x
Minor League
Custom Rank: Premier Pivot Rosters Man
Favourite Team: New York Islanders

Post by xECK29x » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm
What range of Competition Reputations would you consider to be a major league. Anything above 10?
I'd have to lower about 4 leagues (mostly junior/college) but yes this would work
archibalduk wrote:
What about players drafted in a CHL draft but not an NHL draft? Would you go with World Rep - 20 or World Rep - 30?
-30, there are plenty of nobodies that get CHL drafted
archibalduk wrote:
What is the minimum World Rep you would expect a player to have? E.g. if a player has a CA of 30 or less then this will be zero or lower. So we'll need a default setting for those players.
10, I never use a CA lower then 30, lowest I'll go is 30/-3 for anyone I edit or manually add, though the game will generate lower.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm

xECK29x wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm
I'd have to lower about 4 leagues (mostly junior/college) but yes this would work
I can use another figure if you prefer. I just picked 10 as a guess.
xECK29x wrote:
-30, there are plenty of nobodies that get CHL drafted
Ok I'll implement this.
xECK29x wrote:
10, I never use a CA lower then 30, lowest I'll go is 30/-3 for anyone I edit or manually add, though the game will generate lower.
Ok I'll leave the minimum at 5 Current Rep then.
BKarchitect wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm
Oops, I mis-typed, it would be 160-180, world = CA -10.
Thanks - done.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Here is a new version (v0.3.0): viewtopic.php?f=148&t=16014

I can't believe it has been six months since the last release! There's quite a lot here which I want to explain as they might not otherwise be obvious or might be overlooked. I'll try and post something tomorrow. In the meantime here is the changelist:

CHANGELIST: VERSION 0.3.0 (19-Jan-2019)

IMPORTANT! The Editor is now a 64-bit application and is now built using Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2017. Consequently you must now install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Redistributable before you attempt to run the Editor otherwise it will crash. You must install the 64-bit version (also known as vcredist_x64.exe). The Redistributable can be downloaded here: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

New Features:
  • Added a very simple weighted score for each player when exporting the player & non-player spreadsheet (non-Research Spreadsheet) and when viewing player career histories in the Editor (this is a work in progress);
  • Added a setting to optionally sort the Rules & Structure table;
  • Added an extended debugging logging setting for displaying additional information to the Editor Log (for development/testing purposes);
  • Added automatic player and non-player reputation calculation based upon the BKArchitect, TBL Rosters and xECK29x formulae (selectable via the Settings -> General screen) accessible via (1) the Tools menu and (2) the Mass Edit menu, each on the Players & Non-Players screen;
  • Added club history mass deleting;
  • Added club records mass deleting;
  • Added club status to the status bar which will flag any club errors;
  • Added league history exporting;
  • Added league history importing;
  • Added league history mass deleting;
  • Added national team status to the status bar which will flag any mismatch in the number of junior or senior national teams;
  • Added option to force selection dialog windows to stay on top of all other windows;
  • Added player auto-rater (work in progress);
  • Added player career history mass deleting;
  • Added synonyms for clubs;
  • Added synonyms for club competitions; and
  • Added synonyms for second names.
Fixes and Improvements:
  • Added Current Ability, Potential Ability and Reputation filters to the Players & Non-Players screen;
  • Added Tools section to the Non-Player sub-screen of the Players & Non-Players screen
  • Adjusted the imperial height and weight displays on the Player Details sub-screen for clarity;
  • Clubs are now listed in alphabetical order on the Structure sub-screen of the Rules & Structures editing screen;
  • Fixed issue with the Manual Override row of the bit mask editor tables not being editable;
  • Fixed issue with the wrong club data being edited when editing the Divisional Clubs table on the Structure sub-screen of Rules and Structures;
  • Fixed random crash when importing Club History spreadsheets and when adding Club History in the editing screen;
  • Hyphens are now disregarded when matching text (e.g. Oliver Ekman Larsson is treated the same as Oliver Ekman-Larsson);
  • Improved club history and club competition history validation with erroneous entries now deleted;
  • Restored the Find and Replace Competitions function for player career histories which is now available via the Mass Edit button on the People menu;
  • Staff Career History importer spreadsheets now supports years entered as seasons (e.g. 2013/14, 2013/2014, 2013-14, etc will be treated as 2013);
  • Synonym data is now refreshed when saving the database;
  • Values entered into a spinbox are no longer lost/reset when saving the database;
  • The Editor is now built as a 64-bit application; and
  • Updated to Qt version 5.12.0 and Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2017.

efiug
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by efiug » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm

When you delete a player or a staff it skips the next one in the list and moves to the one after that. For example if i delete Player 1 it moves to Player 3 instead of Player 2.

Also is there any plans on adding more options to mass player deletion besides just player, non-player and that jazz. I'd like to be able to mass delete everyone over a certain age or whatever and as far as I can tell I cannot

TBIF
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Canucks

Post by TBIF » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 am

Can't seem to edit player attributes from the player/non player tab. Can edit using the club roster section or exporting and importing.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:06 am

Can’t wait to try out! Thanks for all the amazing work archi! :notworthy:

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 am

TBIF wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 am
Can't seem to edit player attributes from the player/non player tab. Can edit using the club roster section or exporting and importing.
Urgh! Thanks for flagging. :thup: I'll do some digging today and will try and release a hotfix during the course of today. It has been working fine all summer, so it must have been a tweak I made over the past few days.
efiug wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm
When you delete a player or a staff it skips the next one in the list and moves to the one after that. For example if i delete Player 1 it moves to Player 3 instead of Player 2.
I'll have a look into this. It should be easy to tweak.
efiug wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Also is there any plans on adding more options to mass player deletion besides just player, non-player and that jazz. I'd like to be able to mass delete everyone over a certain age or whatever and as far as I can tell I cannot
I can see how that could be helpful. I'll add to my list.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:09 am

I've fixed the issue TBIF helpfully reported earlier. So make sure you download version 0.3.1 uploaded just now: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=16014&p=239359#p206841

CHANGELIST: VERSION 0.3.1 (20-Jan-2019)

IMPORTANT! The Editor is now a 64-bit application and is now built using Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2017. Consequently you must now install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Redistributable before you attempt to run the Editor otherwise it will crash. You must install the 64-bit version (also known as vcredist_x64.exe). The Redistributable can be downloaded here: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Fixes and Improvements:
  • Fixed issue with certain spin boxes resetting and locking to zero (e.g. on the Player and Non-Player attributes screen).

xECK29x
Minor League

Post by xECK29x » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 pm

What does 'Sort league structure data' do? I don't see a Help entry for this new selection.

Great work as always Archi!!!

Also a request (NO RUSH). it would be great if when working with a filter enabled on Players and Staff or Clubs if the cursor would not jump to the top of the list on save.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:32 pm

As promised, below is an overview of some of the new features of the Editor. There are some things that might not immediately be obvious along with a couple of pointers I think might be useful. This update has been something I've worked on intermittently over the past six months in between roster work and real life - so my apologies if I miss something below. Once the Editor is nearer being complete (and it is certainly getting there), I want to write a user manual so that the learning curve is a little less steep.

You can click on any of the screenshots below to view larger versions.

Reputation Auto-Rating
At the request of BKarchitect and xECK29x, I have added player/non-player auto-calculation to various of the screens. Before you apply any calculations, you should set your default from the Settings screen. Click on File -> Settings -> General and you will find the 'Reputation Algorithm' setting (see screenshot below).

There are two ways in which you can apply the Reputation auto-calculation:

1. When viewing a player or non-player in the Editor, either: (a) Click on the Tools menu from the bottom right corner of the screen and click on the Set Player / Non-Player Reputations items (there are two - one for players and one for non-players); or (b) on the Player Details and Non-Player Details tab you'll find a button in the Tools list. The algorithm used is determined by which algorithm you selected via the Settings screen (mentioned above).

2. Via the Mass Edit menu on the People tab. This will allow you to choose the algorithm (e.g. if you don't want to use the default one you selected in the Settings screen), scope (entire DB, club contracted or league contracted) and filter (chosen club or league).

In a future version, I want to add the option to auto-set Reputations when importing players via the Importer spreadsheets.

Player Auto-Rating
Via People -> Mass Edit -> Auto-rate players

This is very much a work in progress and something I plan to develop in future versions of the Editor. The Editor will calculate a score for each entry of a player's career history based on the reputation of the club and league along with how good the player's stats are for that season. You'll see the 'Score' column in the far right of a player's career history entries on the Players & Staff editing screen. I think I'll make this column optional in the future as I can see how it could be confusing. The overall scores are listed when exporting the Players & Non-Players spreadsheet via the Export Spreadsheet screen provided that you do not tick the Research Spreadsheet option).

The Editor will then apply a weighting to the player career history scores and then rank the players by primary position (i.e. G / LD / RD / LW / C / RW). Once the players have been ranked, the Editor will then distribute player CA ratings according to the rank. I.e. each of the top ranked G, LD, RD, LW, C and RW will get the top CA and so on. By ranking players by individual position, instead of by G / D / F, there should be a relatively even spread of ratings.

The Editor will allow you to preview the ratings by clicking on the 'Preview/Export Ratings' button. You could then tweak the ratings and then copy and paste these into a Player Update importer spreadsheet if you wanted.

In a future version I'd like to add options to calculate things like PA, Strength, Aggression and Pass Tendency.

Synonyms & Ignore Lists
I have expanded Synonyms from just first names to include clubs, leagues and surnames. A Synonym provides for alternative spellings of club/league/person names to be matched when importing spreadsheets via the Import Spreadsheets screen. The lists of Synonyms can be edited in the 'Synonym' sub-folder of the EHM Editor folder.

The Ignore Lists allow you to list out team and league names which you want to be treated as '_None' (i.e. Unknown/No Team/League) when importing spreadsheets. The Ignore Lists can be edited in the 'Ignore_List' sub-folder of the EHM Editor folder.

The Synonym and Ignore List settings can be changed via the Import Spreadsheet screen (see screenshot below). Most of these will default to disabled each time you load the Editor because they could potentially cause issues if you unintentionally enable these settings when importing data (i.e. they can mask No Match errors which you might have wanted to fix).

These settings primarily intended for importing large amounts of player career histories. For example, you might have a lot of career histories that refer to different spellings of names (e.g. Univ. of Alberta instead of Alberta Golden Bears) or old franchise names (e.g. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim instead of Anaheim Ducks). It's a really time-consuming task having to manually correct all of these team names ane league names every season in order to correct the 'No Match' errors. The same goes for alternative spellings of players (e.g. Evgeni Malkin and Evgeny Malkin / Nikolai Kulyomin and Nikolay Kulemin).

Synonyms solve this problem by allowing alternative spellings to team names, league names, first names and surnames. Each alternative spelling is listed on the same line (separated by commas) in the various text files in the 'Synonym' folder in the EHM Editor folder. The Editor will then treat those spellings as meaning the same thing. For example, any career history entries referring to Mighty Ducks of Anaheim will be imported as Anaheim Ducks.

A similar issue arises with those very minor or defunct teams or leagues that you don't necessarily want to add to the database - for example, you might not want to add every Canadian under 11s team to the database. Rather than having the same 'No Match' errors every year when importing career histories, you can add those team or league names to the Ignore Lists. Any team or league on an Ignore List will be treated as '_None' when importing (i.e. Unknown Club). This avoid a 'No Match' error whilst allowing the player career history entry to be imported.

The Ignore Lists are only used when importing player career histories whereas Synonyms can be used when importing any type of importer spreadsheet. Note that the first name and surname Synonyms are always used by the Editor - they cannot be disabled.

Any changes to any of the text files must be made before you load the Editor. If anybody makes any changes to any of the text files then please do share the changes and/or the text files. I can then merge the changes into the text files released with the Editor. I have been collating club and league Synonym data for around five years now - the clubs Synonyms consist of nearly 2,300 groups of names and the leagues Synonyms around 400 groups - so there is likely some duplication in there.

You can also see Synonyms attached to an item in the database on the First Names, Second Names, Clubs and Competitions screens in the Editor. This allows you to check what Synoynms have been successfully loaded by the Editor.

Club/League Histories
These can now be imported using Importer spreadsheets (via the Import Spreadsheet button). I have found that the game can be a bit temperamental when adding histories. Adding histories for a club where the entry has no league set appears to make the game crash IIRC (I need to add some more sanity/error checking to the Editor to prevent users from importing invalid entries.). Using certain leagues as a club's history entry can also cause a crash when viewing the histories in-game. I don't know whether this just coincided with the extra_config.cfg and records_config.cfg issues we were having with the TBL Rosters whilst testing these recently. Alternatively, perhaps it does not like particular types of league appearing in a club's history - perhaps if they're defunct or have no nation set, etc. More investigation is required.

Histories and records can now be mass deleted via the Mass Edit menus on the Clubs and Competitions tabs.

Player/Non-Player Filtering
This is fairly rudimentary at the moment. Let me know if anybody has any particular items they'd like to filter by. I don't currently propose to make every single attribute filterable because the number of filterable items has a significant impact on how slow/fast the Players & Staff screen will filter. Even with just the few additional items that can now be filtered, it seems that a text search on the Players & Staff screen is now slower than before. I'm going to have a think about whether the performance could be improved a little.

Club and National Team Errors
Two new items are now visible in the status bar at the bottom of the Editor. These will turn red if there are any issues (see screenshot below):

1. Club Errors: If any clubs have an invalid nation/league combination or a zero Reputation then the status bar will turn red. You can find any such issues by clicking on the Filter button on the Clubs -> Clubs screen and selecting the 'Validity: Has Errors' filter. The erroneous items will be highlighted in yellow on the club's screen.

2. National Team Errors: Quite a few users have encountered the National Teams Count Mismatch error which is caused by having the wrong number of teams with a Professional Status set as 'National (Senior)' or 'National (U20)' (there should be 223 teams per category - i.e. 446 national teams in total). The status bar will turn red if the number of national teams is invalid.

Extended Logging
Via File -> Settings -> General -> Extended logging

This will add some additional debug output to the Editor Log on the Home screen (and also the saved log.txt file in the Editor folder). I suggest disabling this unless you really want to see all of this additional debugging information. I added it to help me debug an issue with Nino's DB relating to league structures. The additional output is pretty limited at the moment but I'll be adding more to it when I revisit Nino's issue (which related to chunks of a league structure somehow disappearing - I don't yet know how and it seems restricted solely to this one version of the DB - I've never seen it with any other DB).

League Structure Sorting
Via File -> Settings -> Database -> Sort league structure data

This re-sorts the league structure table by Club ID. I don't think this is necessary and I simply added this to help debug an issue which I was finding with Nino's DB. It shouldn't do any harm enabling this setting but it's not strictly necessary.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 pm

xECK29x wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 pm
What does 'Sort league structure data' do? I don't see a Help entry for this new selection.
It just sorts the League Rules & Structures table. It's not necessary. I just added it to help rule out an issue we were having with the TBL Rosters. I thought perhaps I'd done something wrong with the rules and structures with the DB but it turned out that the extra_config.cfg retirements were causing the instability.
xECK29x wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Also a request (NO RUSH). it would be great if when working with a filter enabled on Players and Staff or Clubs if the cursor would not jump to the top of the list on save.
I'll see if I can. The record skips in order to force a refresh of the editing screen after re-sorting/updating various parts of the database prior to saving, after importing data, etc. Maybe I can switch navigation back afterwards... :-k

TBIF
Learning to skate

Post by TBIF » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:32 am

Ability to sort by Competition, Contracted and Playing In would be helpful imo.

xECK29x
Minor League

Post by xECK29x » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Two possible bugs with the new version:

1) Noticing a bug when copying color schemes from one competition to another. May be a little hard to explain but when I click copy on one competition (1) and then click another (2), it changed the color scheme of the competition I changed to via clicking (2) to the color scheme of the one I copied from (1), without clicking paste. The correct colors do not appear until after I click save.

2) Not sure if it's just me but favorite staff preferences do not appear to be showing up in game under the 'Information' or 'Bio' pages of players/staff...this one is kinda concerning. Favorite teams are showing up however.

rgtml
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by rgtml » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm

There seems to be a bug when it comes to the import spreadsheet screen with the boxes on the right side. Here's an image. https://imgur.com/pCUpOQM You can see that they're cut off and you can't completely see what they say.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm

TBIF wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:32 am
So you want to sort (as opposed to filter) the list of players? Would that really be helpful?
xECK29x wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:57 pm
1) Noticing a bug when copying color schemes from one competition to another. May be a little hard to explain but when I click copy on one competition (1) and then click another (2), it changed the color scheme of the competition I changed to via clicking (2) to the color scheme of the one I copied from (1), without clicking paste. The correct colors do not appear until after I click save.
I can see what you mean, but I don't think it is related to the copy/paste function. I think it is related to the fact that some clubs/competitions have no colours set (i.e. the relevant Colour fields are set as -1). The colour display doesn't do anything when a club/competition has no valid colours set - instead it'll just show the last colours displayed. You can check this by locating the Export Data button in the bottom right corner of the Competitions screen and click on Export Model. Open the exported spreadsheet and locate the league you're having trouble with. Do the three club colour columns (Columns G-I) say -1? This is an invalid colour ID.

I will make the Editor default to all black where there are invalid IDs.
xECK29x wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:57 pm
2) Not sure if it's just me but favorite staff preferences do not appear to be showing up in game under the 'Information' or 'Bio' pages of players/staff...this one is kinda concerning. Favorite teams are showing up however.
I have checked a database I have been editing regularly over the past couple of months using the latest version of the Editor. Having checked that database in the Editor, I cannot see that the Favourite/Disliked Staff are being erased or scrambled. I have checked in-game and the Favourite and Disliked Staff are being listed in-game.

Do you have the "DEBUG_MODE" command included in your database's extra_config.cfg file? Note that you must start a new saved game in order for this command to apply. I might be wrong, but you might need to include this in order for them to appear in-game. Check the TBL Rosters' extra_config file if you're not sure.
rgtml wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm
There seems to be a bug when it comes to the import spreadsheet screen with the boxes on the right side. Here's an image. https://imgur.com/pCUpOQM You can see that they're cut off and you can't completely see what they say.
That's a new one on me. It looks like it might relate to your screen resolution. I am assuming you're running this on Windows 10 and not something like Linux.

In the Editor, click on File -> Home. At the bottom of the window you'll see a "Print Diagnostic Details" button. This will print some details in the Editor Log. Could you copy and paste the output into this thread? It'll begin with "==== Application ====".

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Just to add, I've checked xECK29x's DB and I can see that the "DEBUG_MODE" is not included in the extra_config file. Just add a new line to the file and add the command (including the quotation marks).

xECK29x
Minor League

Post by xECK29x » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Will add this thanks!

TBIF
Learning to skate

Post by TBIF » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm
TBIF wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:32 am
So you want to sort (as opposed to filter) the list of players? Would that really be helpful?

Silly wording by me. Being able to filter down to players only contracted in say the WHL would be helpful for me. I know we can do it with the export but the additional option in the editor would be nice, as long as it doesn't look too congested. The current UI for staff filters looks really nice.

rgtml
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by rgtml » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:00 am

================== Application ==================
EHM Editor version: 0.3.1
================== Display ==================
Screen resolution (actual): 1920 x 1080
Screen resolution (scaled): 1920 x 1080
Screen scaling: 1
Dots per inch: 142 x 142
================== System Environment ==================
System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Kernel: 10.0.17134
Architecture: x86_64
Qt runtime: 5.12.0
================== Build ==================
Build kernal: winnt
Build system: x86_64-little_endian-llp64 (x86_64)
Build date: 20/01/2019
Build time: 10:48:46.25
Qt build: 5.12.0
MSVC++: 1913
================== Locale ==================
Name: en_CA
Language: English
Date format: MMMM d, yyyy
Decimal point: .
Delimiter: Comma

Return to “Data Editing Forum”