New & Improved Challenge Rules - Planning Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

New & Improved Challenge Rules - Planning Thread

Post by Asher413 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:18 am

Some information from looking at Nino's work:

Teams that haven't been used since before 2011:

Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames (unless you count Atlanta), Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, LA Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nasvhille Predators, Ottawa Senators, St Louis Blues, Vegas Golden Knights, Washington Capitals.

I see about three or four options for the next challenge:

1. Go to the end of the 2017-18 season, find which of those teams are in the worst shape and use standard challenge rules (2 trades, restricted actions etc...)
2. Go to the end of the 2017-18 season, find which team works best with the youth challenge rules (like Vancouver was), use those rules
3. Go to the end of the 2017-18 season, hurt one of the teams (release players etc.), then use the standard rules
4. Look at the 1998 DB (was pretty popular for challenges) and find a team option there.

I'm willing to help set up the files and the rules, but I don't know if I qualify to run it (understandably). I really will do what I can to make sure we get 2nd challenge going this year before the end of May!

Please all- chime in! Throw out ideas. Let's at least make it easier if someone can step up if the ideas are ready to go.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Re: Next Challenge?

Post by archibalduk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 pm

MWE & Asher - Thank you for putting yourselves forward. I'd be more than happy to leave running the Challenges with the both of you. What I think really needs to be done is to re-write and simplify the existing gameplay rules: viewtopic.php?t=4462

I am happy to help finalise a draft set of rules if you guys are happy to start putting forward ideas and suggest a set of rules. Perhaps this should be in a separate thread.

I am re-writing the Challenge parts of the website which I really want to have done by the end of next month but it depends on my free time (which is extremely limited for the next few weeks). We could, for instance, aim for starting a new Challenge at the end of May/June if you are both up for re-writing the rules.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am

Me and Asher have sent each other a PM to discuss the rules for the challenges :thup:

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Asher413 wrote:4. Look at the 1998 DB (was pretty popular for challenges) and find a team option there.
I'd wait with that, as I'm working on v2.0 for that DB. Which will be a huge update. (7th month working on it right now)

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm

MWE wrote:Me and Asher have sent each other a PM to discuss the rules for the challenges :thup:
Outstanding! :notworthy:

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Re: New & Improved Challenge Rules - Planning Thread

Post by Asher413 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 am

Archi- we have a set of new rules that we've hammered out- do you want us to post them, PM them or some other way of communicating them?

Just now starting to discuss what the next challenge will be and the setup.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am

Great! Please do post here as this might encourage other Challenge users to give feedback, etc.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Here are the rules MWE and I have arrived at. Some of the things we considered- How easy is any given rule to police? For example, the head coaches rule was an honor thing, and since we're just stepping into these roles, we wanted to keep it easier for us to adjust to the role. We also considered how much needs to be in the rules vs. the challenge announcement. Since so much could change (start of season 2 date, for example), some things needed to be challenge by challenge. We also assumed most challenges will begin with save files, instead of a fresh roster start. We also have 'put off' doing core or junior rules for now, again to get one challenge under our belt before worrying about other things.

Blue test are additions/changes. Some test or rules have been removed.

Post 1:

1.0 What is the TBL GM Challenge?

The Challenge is a user competition that allows you to showcase your GM skills by getting the best performance out of a selected team. We choose the team, then play at home and report our stats in the Recording Thread (in the Challenge Forum). The stats are added to our Challenge Stats section (see the button located at the very top of the page, on the header image) so that you can compare your performance against other users.

The top three winners will go into the TBL Hall of Fame and your achievement is added to the 'Trophies' section of your user profile.

Winning, however, is not everything. We have a wide variety of users with completely different levels of EHM skill and knowledge. Whilst the more experienced players tend to compete to win, previous Challenges have demonstrated that it's a great way for new users to learn about EHM and improve their skill and knowledge of the game. Just taking part in the Challenges provides for a great learning experience and the opportunity for users to swap tips, tactics, stories, etc.

2.0 How to gain entry to a Challenge

2.1 READ EVERY WORD OF EVERY ANNOUNCE THREAD

There are three rules threads to read (including this one):
* Gaining entry to the Challenge and game setup
* Gameplay rules
* Stats recording and official scoring

In addition to the three rules threads, there may be important announcement threads at the top of the Challenge forum to read. You will find any announcement threads as well as links to the three rules threads at viewforum.php?f=20

If you are unsure of a rule, have a look through the Challenge Forum and try performing a Forum Search. If you still cannot find an answer, try asking in the Challenge Forum.

3.0 Game Setup

3.1 All Challenge games must be run in EHM 1.4 (The most updated version) using an unmodified copy of the rosters detailed in the Challenge Centre or the save file found in the challenge announcement . The required rosters or save file may change on a Challenge by Challenge basis. Ensure that you read the announcements in the Challenge Centre to see which rosters or save file are required.

3.2 When starting the game, you must enable “Fog of War” and “Use Real Names”. The “Start with Fantasy Draft” option should be disabled. You must play using the US Dollar currency.

3.3 Selected leagues, start date and any save files will be determined in each challenge's announcement

3.4 If you wish, you may add a second/third GM in your game to coach your affiliate team(s). You do not have to have any involvement with their day-to-day games if you choose not to.

3.5 When adding your GM(s), “Past Experience” must be set as “Automatic”.

3.6 It is recommended that you disable human sackings.

3.7 We strongly recommend that you regularly make backups of your saved game. It would be a good idea to make a backup at every quarter so that if you suffer from a corrupt game, you can reload your save from the previous quarter. Please seek permission from the TBL Admin/Mod Team before reverting back to a previous saved copy.

Post #2:

Gameplay Rules for NHL Challenges

4.0 Some general rules

4.1 For the purposes of the rules, each season begins on 1 July and ends the following 30 June.

4.2 In relation to your Challenge team, you must at all times be the only one in charge of player movement, team management and tactics. This means you cannot ever set your challenge team to go on 'vacation'. You must coach all games. You are not allowed to sim through the games with the Head Coach controlling them. This rule does not apply to your affiliate teams, however.

4.3 You are not allowed to be GM of a National Team during a Challenge.

5.0 Trading and draft restrictions (Season 1)

5.1 The start and end of season 1 (and subsequent seasons) will be determined in the challenge announcement

5.2 No trades, waiver acquisitions or UFA acquisitions may be signed whatsoever during Season 1. You may, however, renew contracts with your own players and staff at any time.

5.3 You may sign your unsigned prospects (prospects who have never previously been contracted to your challenge team) at any point after starting the game until 1 October (inclusive). Further, you may also sign your unsigned prospects from 1 May until the following 1 October.

5.4 You may place players on the waivers at any time.

5.5 You may only buy-out or release your own players’ contracts during the month of June if they earn over US$1,000,000. If the player earns US$1,000,000 or less, you may buy-out their contract at any time throughout the year.

6.0 Trading and draft restrictions (Season 2 onwards)

6.1 Note: each season begins on 1 July so any trades completed after 30 June count towards the new season’s quota.

6.2 The following no trade periods apply every season (starting from Season 2):

15 July - 15 October (both dates are inclusive). If a trade is not confirmed, and the traded for player is not on your roster by July 14th, the trade cannot be completed. Further, we know it takes a few days to make a trade in most cases, so there should not be any confirmed trades on October 16th in your game.

6.3 You may sign your unsigned prospects (prospects who have never previously been contracted to your challenge team) from 1 May until 1 October (inclusive).

6.4 You may place players on the waivers at any time.

6.5 If a player contracted to your Challenge team becomes an RFA, you may re-sign him during the period of 1 June until 1 October (inclusive). This does not count towards your UFA quota.

6.6 You may only buy-out or release your own players’ contracts during the month of June if they earn over US$1,000,000. If the player earns US$1,000,000 or less, you may buy-out their contract at any time throughout the year.

6.7 No trades of any kind are permitted on draft day.

6.8 Trade deadline day trades are acceptable.

6.9 You may not trade in or out any draft picks or unsigned prospects at any time (except if you make a trade in compliance with Rule 6.11 below).

6.10 You may not trade out any player less than least twelve months (i.e. one year) after you signed/acquired him. This does not include players who were originally on your roster when you first started the game.

6.11 You may now make a maximum of two trades per season.

One straight up 1-for-1 deal is allowed. You may send one player out and you may accept one player in return. Nothing more.

AND

One player for pick or pick for player deal is allowed. In an effort to rebuild through the draft, you may trade an older player (aged 33 or older) for a draft pick (no better than a 2nd round pick). Alternatively, to strengthen your team through veteran talent, you may trade a draft pick (no better than a 2nd round pick) for a veteran player (aged 30 or older). You may only do one of these deals involving a pick each season.

6.12 Proof of trades being made during appropriate times may be required. In your player history there is a "transactions" news item, showing the date he was acquired by your team. This may be requested on occasion.

7.0 Free agency restrictions (Season 2 onwards)

7.1 You may not sign any RFAs whose rights are held by another team.

7.2 UFAs may only be signed between 1 July and 31 August, inclusive. If the player is from Europe and will not transfer during the UFA signing period, take a screenshot of the news item where they accept the contract. Keep this screenshot on your computer (no need to post it) in case the signing is called into question.

7.3North American born or based players must be at least 24 years of age at the time of signing to qualify as a UFA signing.

7.4 The number of UFAs you may sign during a season is limited according to which tier of the UFA Pyramid you choose. You do not have to declare which tier you choose. You may choose one of the following tiers:

7.4.1 Tier 1: You may sign 1 UFA...

Seasons 2 and 3 : 1 player for $3M per season
Season 4 : 1 player for $5M per season
Season 5 onward : 1 player for $3M per season

7.4.2 Tier 2: You may sign up two UFAs for no more than $2M combined per season. (ie. Sign one player for $1.25M and one for $750k, totaling $2M)

8.0 Goaltenders under contract

8.1 You must have 3 Goalies under contract during the regular season.

9.0 Non-playing staff

9.1 You may hire as many non-playing staff as you choose.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Archi- We have the rules, save file and a first attempt at a main page post for this challenge. Since I can't PM you- what are our next steps?

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Seeing as nobody has commented/objected to any of your proposed changes then my suggestion is that I update the relevant threads with your rules (which I will do this week).

What do you and MWE want to do about selecting a club? When I last spoke to Manimal regarding the TBL Rosters, we were thinking of maybe a poll with a couple of TBL Rosters clubs and one NHL 32/36 club.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:08 am

Either or. We were discussing/setting up for Vegas at the end of the 17/18 season with the 10.1 DB- they finished last in the save file I made, and have a giant number of UFAs/RFAs to start with.

BUt I'll roll with whatever- I don't know if MWE is passionate about Vegas or anything.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

ME and Asher had discussed Vegas just as an easy start for us as it's our first challenge.

I was thinking maybe a poll for our second challenge?

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I think you should use the new db we just released. Improvement on future drafts, for example

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 am

Got it. Simming through to the end of the season with the new db now. Probably will have something to investigate tomorrow evening.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 am

I have the save file now- uploading it for MWE as I type.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 am

Great stuff guys! :notworthy:

Just upload the link here and I will set up the Challenge on the forum software. Are you happy to write a brief announcement and open the discussion thread, etc? You can just copy and paste previous announcements. You are welcome to create a similar style news graphic that Bruins72 used to do - but don't feel obliged to.

I will give you Mod access to this forum so that you can make sticky threads, post in the news announcement section, etc.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Great! We're sorting out the annoucment details now, and will be ready to go by the end of the weekend (hopefully). Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DdxyWs ... sp=sharing

(Warning- you guys don't know the rules yet specific to this challenge, so don't get started yet!)

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Here we go! I have no graphic editing ability for a fancy picture like Bruins... in time.

Remember when everyone thought Vegas was just third liners and a good goalie? That's how they are in this challenge! It's the end of 2017-18, and the digital Knights finished deal last in the league. 13 RFA's, 10 UFAs to sign or watch walk away, and a tiny farm system that will need replenished. Can you turn around this expansion team with it's load of future draft picks around? Will you be able to find a replacement for Flower before he retires?

The new standard challenge rules apply, please ensure you read all the new rules carefully. You cannot make trades or sign UFA's until the start of the 2019/20 season (July 1, 2019). This includes draft pick trades. You will have a draft and your veterans to get you through the first season (2018/19). You CAN sign your prospects to supplement your vets during 2018/19.

Download the save file, and retire the GM of Vegas (TBL Challenge), and add yourself as a GM of Vegas. You are welcome to add yourself as a GM of Chicago and/or Quad City. Please take a few moments and read the new rules, and have fun!

Screenshots are posted here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5077
Discussion forum here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19271
Starting file here: (Link- did you want my Google drive or on the ehm servers Archi?)

(Is 8 weeks a reasonable deadline, or should it only be 6? I never paid attention to that in the past!)

smdesroches
Junior League

Post by smdesroches » Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 am

Nice work gentlemen - thanks for all the work in making this happen

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Sorry for the delay. Work is a killer at the moment. I have set up the Challenge and updated the rules. I did make a slight change to rule 5.1 so that it follows the timing set out at 4.1 (the start and end of each season). I will get a Challenge Moderating Group setup probably this weekend so that you are free to moderate the Challenge Forum and post news items as you see fit.

Thanks so much to the both of you!

Return to “Challenge Forum”