Challenge #47 - Vegas Golden Knights - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 pm

I've hacked through the first 20 games with this crew- this team is built almost the exact opposite from what I like so this is really a challenge for me. Fleury was poor the first 5 or so games, so we lost them all. Shipachyov has garned a cool 17 minor penalties, and Schmidt is a -8. Good news is Wahlstrom (my 1st pick) has stuck with the team, and will at least make it to 39 games.

Here are the lines I ran with most of the first quarter: (I run even shifts, and tend to match lines at home)

Eakin-Karlsson-Neal
Bellemare-Linberg-Wahlstrom
Haula-Shipachyov-Perron
Marchessault-Nosek-Smith

Theodore-Schmidt
Garrison-Miller
Merrill-Engelland

Fleury
Subban

Grentroz
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Grentroz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:18 am

20 games done for me as well. 8-11-1 record. Marvelously heading straight for another top 5 pick in the 2019 draft. I miss William Karlsson sooooo dearly :cry:

My lines are :
Perron-Shipachyov-Smith
Marchessault-Haula-Tuch
Leipsic-Eakin-Pirri
Bellemare-Lindberg-Clarkson

Garrison-Theodore
Schmidt-Miller
Merrill-Engelland

Fleury
Subban

James Neal is currently injured. He'd probably be on the top 2 lines otherwise. I'll see if someone in the AHL can come help this team...or I tank and get a great draft pick and hope for the best for the second season....mhm

At least, Walhstrom, Glass and Suzuki are tearing it in the junior!

OldGregg
Junior League
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by OldGregg » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Grentroz wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:18 am
At least, Walhstrom, Glass and Suzuki are tearing it in the junior!
Glass and Suzuki seem to be really strong prospects. I'm just starting season 2 and they're the #1 and #2 centers in the AHL. Ben Jones seems like he'll be a solid 3/4C as well. I have him in the ECHL right now but only because the AHL team is shared with St. Louis so Robert Thomas is the #3C and I don't feel like manually managing the minor league teams. Also quite hopeful about Branstrom, he had an excellent season 1 in the AHL and I bet he'll probably end up in the NHL before long.

S2 starting OK, 4-2-1 after 7 games. Gostisbehere and Byron are fitting their roles (2RD, 3LW) perfectly and my defense is much better running Theodore-Dahlin / Schmidt-Ghost. Just had something happen I've never seen before, I want Maxim Zhukov to be getting AHL playing time so I sent Dansk to the ECHL, and Dansk decided to go AWOL and isn't playing. I've never seen that before, but it's an interesting thing and tbh it makes sense that a 25 year old goalie with great stats in the AHL would be upset about an ECHL demotion.

I still think goaltending is going to be an issue, Fleury is OK but he's definitely the weakest link of the team. I'm thinking hard about what to do there since we only get one trade and I'm not sure I want to use two seasons worth of trades on trading for a new goalie and then dumping Fleury. Hopefully I can grab Shestyorkin/Saros/Demko/Oettinger/Hart or something and run a 1A/1B, could always try to trade Fleury for a 2nd at some point if I need to free up cap space.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Season 2 done didn't have the best of starts recovered to 6th in Conference before getting all the way to the Stanley Cup final ended up winning it all :-D

OldGregg
Junior League

Post by OldGregg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:32 am

Has Neal started to rapidly decline for you guys? I'm 40 games into my second season and Neal's attributes have really fallen off: Neal attributes.

Wristshot has fallen from 18 or 19 down to 16 and his passing and other attributes have fallen off too. Just surprised to see that happen at only 32, looks like I'll need to dump him as my trade for S3, he's up to Superb reputation now so I should be able to get something decent for him. He's still doing fine points wise on the top line with Shipachyov and Smith but it could be a bit of an issue if he keeps declining so quickly.

I also just realized I didn't sign any Physios at the start of the challenge, so that's probably not helping.

MWE
Challenge Moderator

Post by MWE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 pm

He's declining pretty quick for me too in 3rd season.

OldGregg
Junior League

Post by OldGregg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Yeah I extended him to 5X5M at the start of the challenge. I was really hoping he'd stay pretty stable until season 4 but it's already starting to look bad in season 2. Hopefully Perron and Shipachyov don't decline at this rate too, they're both about the same age and I have them signed long term at 4.3M and 6.3M as my 1C and 2RW. I think if it's just Neal who falls off a cliff I can just keep him as a third liner and not worry too much but if three of my top six forwards decline at a combined 15.6M that could become an issue.

I'm considering trying to trade Neal in the offseason, he's still been great on my top line but I wonder if his Superb reputation means I could get something valuable back for him. I guess I could also just keep him and shift Marchessault and Byron up the lineup at LW since I have tons of cap space. With this team it's easy to get all your core players locked up and the only important player not signed long term is Dahlin.

MWE
Challenge Moderator

Post by MWE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I got him on the same contract but I'am well below the salary cap so not a problem for me.

Grentroz
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Grentroz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 pm

40 games of the first season done...I might win this season if we look at the standings upside down...
18-18-4 to put me in 7th in the West
Nothing much to report, except Theodore decided to take a 2-weeks vacation for the 41-60 games stretch. Not cool. I also extended many contracts that would've expired by the end of the season.

OldGregg
Junior League

Post by OldGregg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:14 am

Getting into the end of season 2 now, 1st place in the west and hopefully primed for a long playoff run. Shipachyov keeps having anterior knee pain injuries over and over and missing games (only 39 of 63 game played) which is a bit scary. Suzuki has been great as a fill-in in a top 9 role (32P in 41GP), but with Karlsson as my only real experienced top 6 C without health question marks I wanted to get some depth and insurance at C at the deadline. I traded a 2nd for Mikko Koivu to be a defensive 3C and handle top unit PK duties, and he can play in the top 6 if I run into injury trouble. I extended him for a year too so I'm set for a defensive C next year and I don't need to throw tons of money to keep Haula (although I think I probably will on a 1 year deal since I have nothing else to spend it on).

Currently running:

Neal-Suzuki (Shipachyov)-Smith
Marchessault-Karlsson-Perron
Byron-Koivu-Tuch
Carrier-Haula-Pulkkinen

Theodore-Dahlin
Schmidt-Gostisbehere
Merrill-Miller

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 pm

waiver claims are never allowed right?

OldGregg
Junior League

Post by OldGregg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Salming wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 pm
That's a good question. In the old ruleset you used to be able to claim one player from waivers instead of signing any UFAs, but the most recent ruleset doesn't include that rule. I would probably lean towards not doing it without clarification from admins.

It could be a good strategy, in a lot of saves I find the Ducks waive Kesler so for a team with tons of cap space like Vegas that would be far more valuable than anyone you could sign at 3M.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Salming wrote:
Correct. Make sure you read the stickied rules thread, not the modifications thread. (Rule 7.5): 7.5 Instead choosing one of the UFA signing tiers, you may sign one player from waivers at any point during the year and without restriction as to annual salary. If you take this approach, you will not be able to sign any UFAs during that season.

OldGregg
Junior League

Post by OldGregg » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Asher413 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm
Salming wrote:
Correct. Make sure you read the stickied rules thread, not the modifications thread. (Rule 7.5): 7.5 Instead choosing one of the UFA signing tiers, you may sign one player from waivers at any point during the year and without restriction as to annual salary. If you take this approach, you will not be able to sign any UFAs during that season.
I'm confused, he asked if waivers were never allowed and you said correct, but the rule cited says we can. I probably will still just sign a UFA instead but I just want to make sure I understand the rule properly.

Zavier
Junior League
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by Zavier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 am

Messed up in posting my salary for the first quarter. I posted my Total Player Salaries. My Averaged Club Salary is $52 mil.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm

OldGregg wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Asher413 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm
Salming wrote:
I'm confused, he asked if waivers were never allowed and you said correct, but the rule cited says we can. I probably will still just sign a UFA instead but I just want to make sure I understand the rule properly.
I see- that's on me.

One waiver claim is allowed instead of UFA signings for the season. I misunderstood the question! Sorry about that.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:55 am

Well, I just finished a very interesting 2019 offseason:

The last day of the 2018-19 season, we were one point behind Phoenix for the last playoff spot in the Pacific. We were up by a goal going into the third of the last game... and gave up two in the last 8 minutes to finish ONE POINT out of the playoffs. ](*,) My biggest goal going into the offseason was right handed defensemen and defensive forwards.

Draft:
[spoiler] Round 1-8: Alex Turcotte C (will play wing for me while young). With the 8th pick, my top four staff all disagreed on who to take. I really wanted the right handed d-man, but I couldn't buy Case McCarthy's mental stats (I'm already starting to worry I picked wrong.) Turcotte has some unbelievable attributes, and giant holes in his game (zero defensive skills, stamina of 8). He'll be a great scoring LW for me if he doesn't learn the defense to play in the middle. Starting the season in Chicago, but could be called up this season easily.

Round 2-39: Patrick Moynihan, C/RW Scouts say he's injury prone and a long way from being ready. He also doesn't understand what the words "defensive zone" mean, but put up 41 goals in 60 games in the USHL. Going to Boston College will also help me wait until he's ready.

Round 2-41: Cam Rowe, G I know I have to plan for the future (or I thought I did) in net, so I felt like I had to jump here. Four goalies went before that didn't really impress me, so I had to jump on the 'best' left. In hindsight I jumped too high here, but hey, there's always at least one mistake a draft right? He'll spend (hopefully) all 4 years at Minnesota to develop.

Round 2-42: Drae Gardiner, RD Well, here's the RD 'solution'. Very offensive, no defense yet. (But an offensive defensman with only 22 points is weird.) Since the draft the scout reports are getting better, so hopefully he's a diamond in the rough. He'll stay in the WHL until he either booms or is old enough for Chicago.

Round 3-70: Christopher Innis, RD. Nothing like throwing good money after bad- after not feeling hot on Gardiner and feeling good about my forward prospects, went back to the D well. Injury prone and poor comparables. Poor mentals, poor offense, but right handed! Week stats in the Q, so there's small hope here.

Round 3-85: Thomas Pelletier, RD. Third time is a charm? Inury prone, poor attributes, nice mental makeup and the scouts think he's borderline... we'll see.

Round 4-101: Anthony Poulin, C Fast with great mental attributes, 19 years old. Was cut from his Q team, so has a season in purgatory (the CCHL?)
Scouts are split on him, but of course my two best said he was 'good' right before the draft.

Round 5-132: Kristaps Zile, LD/RD 21 year old Latvian that I meant to sign right away... but had a contract for another season in Europe. Scouts don't believe in him, and he was meant to be a stopgap... who may be a year too late. I didn't do a good job paying attention to details at this point.

Round 5-150: Dustin Manz, C 19 year old defensive forward- one of the guys who will play right away to fill a hole. The scouts don't think he'll grow, but a cheap 4th liner is always nice to have.

Round 6-163: Kirill Polokhov, LW/RD Another 20 year old (Kazakh) that I wanted right away... but couldn't. Ready for fourth line and roster flexiblity when he comes to America, but that will be the ceiling.

Round 7-194: Cameron Burke, C Another stopgap, 20 year old defensive center. He'll start the season in Chicago and hopefully will be ready should a PK guy go down in Vegas. Zero potential. [/spoiler]

Free agency:
[spoiler]Player 'lost': Oscar Lindberg
Trades: William Carrier for Casey Cizikas- I needed that defensive forward, and Carrier just wasn't special. This gave me another PK guy which was a weak point last season.
Bellemare for a 2nd rounder. Old enough to trade, so-so and opens up a roster spot. Regretted this later in the offseason...
Free agent signing: This was an adventure. 'Won' the bidding on a few players- Hjalmarsson, a 5/6 right handed d-man, a 4th liner and Paul Byron. I really really wanted Tyler Myers. So I delayed all those signings a week... Hjalmarsson came up first, and declined his signing. Still no Myers decision. Then Byron came up again. Decided to take the one I had on the line instead of roll the dice (good thing too, Myers signed for more than the 3 million I could offer him). Byron's versatility will help a very tight roster situation, and I finally have a PK set of forwards I feel good about.
[/spoiler]

Pre-season adventure:
So I'm cruising along doing normal camp stuff (trying to waiver Clarkson every 30 days hoping for a taker on his TERRIBLE contract of course), and run into a problem at the end of camp- the offseason cap rules bite me in the butt looking at my top 23 salaries, not just those I'm carrying. So I'm stuck where I can't cancel my preseason game and MUST waive folks to get under the cap. For better or for worse, none of the guys I waive (including Garrison) get picked up, but still quite a scare.
I also get a stroke of amazing luck- Clarkson gets hurt in the last pre-season game! He's now on IR! (solving ALL my cap issues).

[spoiler]Lines for the start of the season:
Smith-Cizikas-Perron
Haula-Byron-Suzuki
Neal-Shipachyov-Wahlstrom
Eakin-Karlsson-Glass
Marchessault-Manz

Garrison-Merrill
Schmidt-Mineyev
Theodore-Miller

Fleury
Subban[/spoiler]

Return to “Challenge Forum”