A few questions from a beginning player

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay, online gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.

Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM 1 ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual
TurboJ
Junior League
Favourite Team: TPS

Post by TurboJ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi there! I've played a total of three complete NHL seasons of EHM 1 now and there are a few questions I'd like answers for.

*The first question is of there is a "ask a quick question" -type thread on this forum so I don't make new irrelevant topics on here.

*Then; is there a way to see all the pending offers you have made to free agents? Apart from short listing them when you make the offer. If I forget to short list I don't know how to see what offers are pending.

*Player stats and scout reviews. I don't get it how a player with average 13 stats is scoring a lot more on my team than a guy with average 16 stats (both on the same line too). And yes I'm looking at the relevant specific stats too. I just had the average 13 guy score 98 points in NHL. The stats and the scout stars do not seem to correlate very accurately with how the players actually perform. What's the general consensus about this?

*Is there any variation to at which age players start to decline? In reality this would of course be highly variable but how is it in the game? I'm also puzzled by how the player stats don't seem to change much at all when players do decline; one example (playing the 2018 "real" rosters is once Joe Thornton turned 39 his scoring halved but the stats only changed by one at most.) What's the deal here?

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Also... The avg. player salary seems to be way off in the pre-season. Is there any way to calculate the correct sum before the game corrects it after the training camp?

And I don't mean the effect about sending young prospects back to juniors/minor leagues. I just had another season where the avg salary dropped by 7 million in September while the actual drop caused by youngsters sent back to minors was only 2.5 million.

You know, it would be useful to be able to use that extra 7 million to recruit a star player... Any help?

*edit. a case of injured reserve was at play here, but even with that cleared the avg.salary is still 2.5 mill off of what it was reported to be in the pre-season (no changes in roster)

Asbeen
Drafted

Post by Asbeen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pm

TurboJ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm
*Then; is there a way to see all the pending offers you have made to free agents? Apart from short listing them when you make the offer. If I forget to short list I don't know how to see what offers are pending.
From Roster menu go to Transactions then view "future transactions"

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 pm

:thup:

Also, regarding players' age and their performance, what role do practice schedules play? How effective is practice anyway, and can it help slow down the effects of ageing?

And furthermore, what us considered to be the "prime" age of a player, after which they typically do not improve their peformance anymore?

Many thanks for all the answers.

Asbeen
Drafted

Post by Asbeen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 pm

TurboJ wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:59 pm
what role do practice schedules play? How effective is practice anyway
If you search the forums you will find a lot of answers on practices shedules ;)

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:33 pm

OK. I've spent quite a few hours browsing and searching the forum, but not really found answers to most of my questions. And FWIW the forum seems very quiet for some reason.

Anyway, if someone could help by answering a couple of questions I'd sure appreciate it...

1. How does the practice schedule thing work in EHM 1? The older guides that can be found here apparently don't apply to the current version of the game.
2. At what age do players of different positions typically reach their maximum performane?
3. Is there any way to predict when an older player will start to decline, and can the decline be mitigated by training?
4. Do mental attributes improve in EHM 1 unlike on the previous versions?

One more question please. There seem to be very very few good goalie prospects on the NHL draft each year. My main concern is their physical and mental attributes. Do these attributes develop differently on goalies, or is this just a case of the game not producing good goalie prospects?

Please if you have the time, anyone, helping me out would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Red Wings

Post by Canadian Passport » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm

TurboJ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm
Hi there! I've played a total of three complete NHL seasons of EHM 1 now and there are a few questions I'd like answers for.

*The first question is of there is a "ask a quick question" -type thread on this forum so I don't make new irrelevant topics on here.

*Player stats and scout reviews. I don't get it how a player with average 13 stats is scoring a lot more on my team than a guy with average 16 stats (both on the same line too). And yes I'm looking at the relevant specific stats too. I just had the average 13 guy score 98 points in NHL. The stats and the scout stars do not seem to correlate very accurately with how the players actually perform. What's the general consensus about this?

*Is there any variation to at which age players start to decline? In reality this would of course be highly variable but how is it in the game? I'm also puzzled by how the player stats don't seem to change much at all when players do decline; one example (playing the 2018 "real" rosters is once Joe Thornton turned 39 his scoring halved but the stats only changed by one at most.) What's the deal here?
In the Game Knowledge subforum there are threads for General/Even Strength Tactics questions, PP/PK Tactics, Practice and Scouting. That's about as close to a Quick Questions/Answers thread as you'll find here.

Future Transactions as already mentioned.

When it comes to player performance sometimes the scouts get it wrong but I think they're right more often than they're wrong. There could be hidden attributes at play too.

There is quite a bit of variation as far as player attributes declining. Some players start to decline in their early 30's but some don't start until later. Usually the physical attributes go first and they can fall rapidly and dramatically but once in a while the tech and physical attributes will just decrease gradually. I start to look for the decline when they get to age 33 or 34.

TurboJ wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm
Also... The avg. player salary seems to be way off in the pre-season. Is there any way to calculate the correct sum before the game corrects it after the training camp?

And I don't mean the effect about sending young prospects back to juniors/minor leagues. I just had another season where the avg salary dropped by 7 million in September while the actual drop caused by youngsters sent back to minors was only 2.5 million.

You know, it would be useful to be able to use that extra 7 million to recruit a star player... Any help?

*edit. a case of injured reserve was at play here, but even with that cleared the avg.salary is still 2.5 mill off of what it was reported to be in the pre-season (no changes in roster)
Your regular season cap hit is the combined cap hit of the 23 players on your NHL roster unless you have a player on 24-day IR...that player doesn't count until he comes back off of IR. If you know which players will be on your roster then just add up their cap hits and there you go, and if you have any hit due to buyouts add that too. The offseason cap hit is the 23 highest NHL cap hits in your entire organization even if the players aren't on your NHL roster.
TurboJ wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:33 pm
OK. I've spent quite a few hours browsing and searching the forum, but not really found answers to most of my questions. And FWIW the forum seems very quiet for some reason.

Anyway, if someone could help by answering a couple of questions I'd sure appreciate it...

1. How does the practice schedule thing work in EHM 1? The older guides that can be found here apparently don't apply to the current version of the game.
2. At what age do players of different positions typically reach their maximum performane?
3. Is there any way to predict when an older player will start to decline, and can the decline be mitigated by training?
4. Do mental attributes improve in EHM 1 unlike on the previous versions?

One more question please. There seem to be very very few good goalie prospects on the NHL draft each year. My main concern is their physical and mental attributes. Do these attributes develop differently on goalies, or is this just a case of the game not producing good goalie prospects?

Please if you have the time, anyone, helping me out would be appreciated. Thanks!
1. There are people here who have done a lot of work and posting about practice schedules but in my experience it's coaching that matters, good coaches get good results, great coaches get great results and it doesn't matter what schedule the players are on, custom or general. Plus, I think for the most part ice time matters more than anything else.

2. Whatever the visible attributes are by the time a player turns 25 is pretty much it. There are some hidden attributes in play that will help the player continue to get better but rapid attribute progression is pretty much done by 23/24 years old. I see skaters hitting their prime years sometime in their late 20's and goalies maybe not until age 30 or so.

3. I've never been able to predict this. You just have to watch for decreases beginning to happen. If training can mitigate it then it doesn't mitigate it by much from what I've seen.

4. Some mental attributes do increase, some i've never seen increase. I've never seen determination or aggression change but I have seen anticipation improve a lot.

It can be tough to tell if a goalie will turn out to be good. I have no choice but to trust my scouts no matter what the attributes look like. I always get full, detailed reports on any goalie prospect I'm interested in and I get them from my best scouts. Some hit, some miss. I've drafted goalies who had great attributes for their age but failed and others who didn't look like good prospects at all but their improvement over their first two or three years was incredible.

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful! I will try to browse the forums more but the biggest problem for information seems to be there's very little of it since 2015 when EHM 1 came out and many questions are left without answer whether the older knowledge still applies or not. But thank you, that is a lot of help already!

As for the goalies, there never seem to be any good young ones, can I ask if the physical attributes really increase dramatically, like from red to green between 18 and 25 years of age? That doesn't seem to happen to skaters so I'm in doubt if it happens to goalies (as it would need to).

BTW, one important question I've not found answers to, is how to fill your AHL team so that it has full player lineup. I don't want to waste money on duds to just be there, so if I only put ten good prospects on there, often the lineup ends up being four or five short, the AI doesn't fill all the needed slots. And then the team does horribly and players very likely don't progress as they normally would. Any hints how to fix this issue?

Thanks again.
Last edited by TurboJ on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tasku
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: W-WPoTBLfaSaD
Favourite Team: WSH Capitals

Post by Tasku » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:52 pm

TurboJ wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful! I will try to browse the forums more but the biggest problem for information seems to be there's very little of it since 2015 when EHM 1 came out and many questions are left without answer whether the older knowledge still applies or not. But thank you, that is a lot of help already!
To us "veterans" it seems most questions have been aswered already and, while there have been patches and tweaks, most of it still applies. You'll find plenty of answers if you look around. :thup:

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 pm

TurboJ wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm

As for the goalies, there never seem to be any good young ones, can I ask if the physical attributes really increase dramatically, like from red to green between 18 and 15 years of age? That doesn't seem to happen to skaters so I'm in doubt if it happens to goalies (as it would need to).

BTW, one important question I've not found answers to, is how to fill your AHL team so that it has full player lineup. I don't want to waste money on duds to just be there, so if I only put ten good prospects on there, often the lineup ends up being four or five short, the AI doesn't fill all the needed slots. And then the team does horribly and players very likely don't progress as they normally would. Any hints how to fix this issue?

Thanks again.
There are good young goalies in the game but sometimes their attributes make it hard to believe they're good. Some people want to be able to draft goalies who are able to play in the NHL right away, those players are very rare. It's much more realistic to expect the goalie to be NHL quality by age 25 and even then they still probably won't be super awesome. The physical attributes will improve, over a 5 year period a 6 attribute can become a 12...I'm not saying it will but it can, but a 3 attribute will never turn into an 18.

A fix for the AHL? Stop trading away your picks and prospects, that should fix the problem :)

Seriously, most AHL teams don't have much of a budget and can't sign a lot of players to fill out the roster, maybe they can sign 6 or 7 if they're lucky. Most of those teams are heavily dependent upon their parent club to fill up the roster so the only way to make sure the roster is full up is for you to send them 18-20 players

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 pm

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Sorry to bother you guys again but searching didn't provide me with an answer..

Started a new game with TBL rosters 10.3, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. My question is why are the options "expand the arena", "make extra funds available" and "make extra player budget available" not clickable, i.e. they are inactive. My NHL team is filthy rich but still I can't ask for an increase in player budget which I would need. Anyone know what might be going on here?

Canadian Passport
Top Prospect

Post by Canadian Passport » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 am

TurboJ wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm
Anyone know what might be going on here?
This has come up before. The consensus seems to be that those options are in place in anticipation of a dynamic financial system which may be implemented at some future date.

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Sad to see this forum being so quiet :/

Anyway, I've played about 550 hours now, three careers in the NHL with TBL rosters. Been learning a lot but there are still a lot of things I haven't mastered. FWIW I have been able to create a long-standing Stanley Cup dynasty twice, and the game does seem to be a little bit on the easy side once you get to tweaking your tactics and managing your lines well. But the key thing is having the right players of course, and that can be a little bit of a problem.

If someone would be kind enough to comment on some of my questions, I would surely appreciate it! I will try to gather a "what I have learned" topic soon, so as to give something back to the community too, hopefully helping other people new to the game...

1. Playing TBL, the average draft prospects get significantly worse after a few years played. Even top prospects are extremely one-dimensional and first line centers and goalies are especially hard to come by. I've read that there used to be a "regen" system, that once the old star players retired, the game would create regenerated version as new youngsters, helping the issue. But I also read this regen thing might not exist in the later versions of the game. What's the truth about prospect generation in the current version, will there ever be new star players generated? Played till 2031 and didn't see one yet, apart from those who were added by the database as young prospects.

2. There is a good tool here on this forum -> viewtopic.php?f=148&t=19286 ...but I am too much of an idiot to figure out how to use it. I've asked questions about it on the thread but I've not received any answers. Someone on here must have tried those files, so please help me out, how to set it up so I can try it. I'm especially bummed by the fact that half of the NHL teams are having 0.86 save % kind of goalies in use now that most of the database goalies have retired. It's frustrating and makes the game too easy...

3. Regarding the TBL rosters 10.3, what would be considered the weakest teams overall when starting a new game? Looking for a challenge, so your experience would be useful.

4. Why is it that nearly every generated center gets really bad average rating? Even if they do decent points and decent +/- they still seem to have terrible avg rating and that's mirrored by their morale. I see dozens of guys with 50-65 points per season with nice +/- but with less than 6.5 avg rating. Logically I would think there's something wrong with their game, but what is it if they put out nice performance anyway?

Sorry to bother you guys, but your help would really be greatly appreciated - thank you for your effort.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 am

Short answer to most of the question, the game got a completely broken player generation and player development system. Nothing can really fix it except a patch.

Filip Croatia
Minor League

Post by Filip Croatia » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am

TurboJ wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm
t. My question is why are the options "expand the arena"
I think team must own arena in order to consider expanding it. Not sure, but I think I saw one screenshoot of one of the forum members who got his arena expanded in 2060-ish by playing with HV 71 in SHL.

TurboJ
Junior League

Post by TurboJ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:07 pm

What's you guys' experience in having players play their secondary position, I mean how much of a difference is it performance-wise whether they play in their natural position or an alternate, accomplished position?

Wondering if anyone has a rough idea..

kev90
Drafted

Post by kev90 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:51 am

It's totally fine to play someone in his accomplished position.

Balazs
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Fehérvár AV19

Post by Balazs » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi there!

I am considering to buy this game, but there is one thing I would like to know. Is there any licensed league in the standard database? Thanks for the answers in advance.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Balazs wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 pm
Hi there!

I am considering to buy this game, but there is one thing I would like to know. Is there any licensed league in the standard database? Thanks for the answers in advance.
No, nothing is licensed.
We do however make our own update here and it is available on Steam(a new version is coming soon)

Balazs
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Fehérvár AV19

Post by Balazs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks for your help, I've bought the game.:)

Return to “General EHM Chat”