The Blue Line

Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.

Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Now that the competition rules and structures are editable in EHM using the EHM Editor, it makes sense to start a new thread to discuss our experiments with the structures in particular. It's worth noting that at the time of writing (i.e. EHM Editor version 0.1.1) there is a small number of items within the Rules & Structure table/editing screen for which we do not have the definitions. This means that I do not yet know how to make sense of some of the numbers. This applies, for example, to the Match Rules, Custom Flags, Fate Rules and Team Selection/Draw Rules. Unfortunately this is going to make the task of editing structures more challenging that it might otherwise be. So it's going to be trial and error for the time being. I'm hoping to have the definitions for the remaining items in the not so distant future however.

To date, I have been able to create a new playable league in EHM but have not been able to avoid getting a crash when trying to view a team's schedule screen in-game (even though the in-game news item indicates that the league's schedule has been set). I suspect there is something within one of these undefined items which needs to be updated or set in order to fix this. I hope that, to start with, there might be a couple of people who would be interested in trying to make the same league playable. I thought by concentrating on one league we will have a greater chance of success which will help us figure out how to get more complex leagues up and running. So to start with, I propose to make the French Magnus League playable using the v8.2 TBL Rosters. To keep things simple, I think the aim should be just to get the regular season working and, one we have done that, we can look at adding the playoffs.

IMPORTANT! If you would like to participate in this experiment, please ensure you use the v8.2 TBL Rosters and NOT the v9.0 TBL Rosters! The upcoming v9.0 TBL Rosters reflect the fact that the number of teams in the Magnus League has reduced to 12. In the v8.2 Rosters there are 14 teams in the Magnus League (as there were in 2015/16). Just so that we are all working with the same settings, let's go with the 14 team v8.2 TBL Rosters version of the Magnus League.

Before I jump in to the various settings, I though it might be useful to describe the Editor's features (some of which have been designed to hopefully make experimenting a little easier) along with a basic overview of how the Rules & Structures table works. So this guide is split into three:

1) The Editor: An Overview
2) Rules & Structures: An Overview
3) Getting Started with the Magnus League

1) The Editor: An Overview

First off, you will find the Rules & Structure editing screen via the Competitions tab in the Editor. Hovering the mouse over any of the input fields, drop-down menus, etc (except for table cells) will display some help/description text in the status bar running along the bottom of the screen. Hopefully this will help describe what the various settings do.

Clicking on the Add Items button at the bottom of the screen allows for two different ways of creating a new Rules & Structure entry:

• You can create a blank new item. This will be created with, to some extent, default values. For instance, it will add one conference with one division (see the Structure screen). This is because every league must have at least one conference and any every conference must have at least one division.
  • You can copy and paste an existing item from the Rules & Structure table. For instance, if you are viewing the NHL and click on Add Item -> Copy and Paste Item it will create a new item with the same data as the NHL. It will not of course be linked to the NHL as you cannot have two entries linking to one league (I assume) and so it will be created linked to no competition.

The Export Data button will, I hope, help us with figuring out some of the settings in order to get a league working:

• Export Model: This will export a spreadsheet showing the Basic Data for every entry in the Rules & Structure table. Hopefully we can use this to figure out which Custom Flags, etc settings to use whilst we are without the definitions;
  • Export Text Report: This will create a text file listing every setting for the currently selected Rule & Structure entry. In order to keep things readable, it does not list the Schedule Dates.

IMPORTANT! There is very little data validation in the Editor at the moment. This means it will not stop you from doing things that are wrong or will cause issues. For instance, the Total Number of Stages setting on the Basic Rules screen must always reflect the number of entries on the Stages screen - and the Number of Dates setting on the Stages screen must reflect the number of entries in the Schedule Dates table. Also, the Has Alternative Dates setting on the Stages screen must only be checked/ticked if the Alt. Dates table has been populated (and the number of Alt. Dates must be the same as the aforementioned Number of Dates setting).

2) Rules & Structures: An Overview

Note that all of the below is based on my experiments and observations thus far (i.e. some of it might be inaccurate).

The first thing to keep in mind is that editing the structure is not as simple as changing a single setting! If you want to increase the number of teams in a league then you must also adjust the league structure to reflect this. Otherwise the game will not know where the team belongs or how to generate the schedule. To further complicate things, if the league has a Schedule Template (e.g. the NHL) then you must also update this to reflect the revised schedule (see Competitions -> Schedule Templates via the Editor.

As mentioned in earlier, various settings are interrelated and must be kept in sync (once I have a better understanding of how the Rules & Structures work, I'll add some auto validation to the Editor). Just to repeat: For instance, the Total Number of Stages setting on the Basic Rules screen must always reflect the number of entries on the Stages screen - and the Number of Dates setting on the Stages screen must reflect the number of entries in the Schedule Dates table. Also, the Has Alternative Dates setting on the Stages screen must only be checked/ticked if the Alt. Dates table has been populated (and the number of Alt. Dates must be the same as the aforementioned Number of Dates setting).

Every competition consists of Structures and Stages:

Structures
The Structures determines how many conferences and divisions a competition has. A competition must have at least one conference and every conference must have at least one division. So a simple league would have one conference with one division.

Note that the list of Divisional Clubs only seems to be used where there are multiple divisions. It seems where there is just one division or where there are more complex team drawing rules then no teams should be listed here.

Stages
The competition is split into Stages (each competition must have at least one Stage). The Stages are linked together and the successful teams will progress from one Stage to the next. A simple league would have one Stage for the regular season and a second Stage for the playoffs. Things get more complex when you're dealing with multi-conference and multi-division leagues - take a look at the NHL Stages and you'll see what I mean!

Within each Stage there must be some Schedule Dates. These are used to calculate the game schedule for each Stage. For instance, the 10 teams in the Danish Metal Ligean play each other 5 times during the regular season, meaning 45 games each (9 teams x 5 rounds = 45 games). This means that the Number of Dates setting on the Stages screen of the first Stage should be 45. This also means that there must be 45 entries in the Schedule Dates table on the Stage screen for the first Stage. If we wanted an alternative schedule for Olympic years then you would need to tick the Has Alternative Dates box and add 45 entries to the Alt. Dates table.

3) Getting Started with the Magnus League

Below I will walk though the various settings I have been using for a 14 team French Magnus League using the v8.2 TBL Rosters. If I haven't mentioned any settings then it is because I am using the default settings. It should only take a couple of minutes to enter all of the data below.

To start with, click on Add Item -> Add Item (do NOT use the Copy and Paste setting).

Basic Data
Competition: French Magnus League
Competition Type: League
Ruling Body: France (you will need to create a new entry in the Ruling Bodies editing screen and assign it to France. You can just copy and paste the Great Britain ruling body)
Transfer Rules: France (you will need to create a new entry in the Transfer Rules editing screen and assign it to France. You can just copy and paste the Great Britain rules)

Number of Teams: 14
Total Prize Money: 10,000

Custom Flags: 0 - this is well worth experimenting with
Match Rules: 4198 - this is the Norwegian setting. Again, well worth experimenting with
Extra Match Rules: 0 - this is well worth experimenting with

Concurrent Initial Stages: 1
Total Number of Stages: 1
Stage Reputation: 8

Match Rules
FYI - currently this screen is not used.

Comp Rules
Has League Rules: Yes

Draw Date: 1.7.2015
Min Total Capacity: 1,000
Min Seating Capacity: 500
Max League Games: 26 - so each team will play each other twice (2 x 13 = 26)
Prize Money Type: 0
Total Prize Money: 10,000
Priority: 8

Win Pts: 2
Draw Pts: 1
OT Win: 2
OT Loss: 1
SH Win: 2
SH Loss: 1
Win Pct Type: 1

Sort Rules #1: Own Match
Sort Rules #2: Goal Difference
Sort Rules #3: Goals For
Sort Rules #4: No Rule

Structure
As the Editor automatically creates a single conference with a single division, there are no settings to change on this screen.

Stages: Structure
Firstly, click on the green "plus" button near the top right corner of the screen in order to add a new Stage. You will find it next to the two blue left/right and red cross buttons.

Generic Stage Name: Regular Season
Stage Type: League

Number of Dates: 26
Number of Teams: 14
Rounds: 2 - this means the teams will play each other twice

Stages: Rules
I'm not totally sure of the correct settings here. I'm going by what I have seen for other leagues. Probably worth experimenting here.

Team Picking Rules: 16
Fate Rules: 0

Stages: Schedule Dates
As we set the Number of Dates to 26 above, we need to populate this table with 26 entries. Rather than having to spend lots of time manually entering data, lets just steal the one from the Danish Metal Ligean:

1) Go to the Stages -> Schedule Dates screen for the Danish Metal Ligean. Make sure Stage 1 is selected from the drop-down menu in the top right corner of the screen.

2) Click on the Export Items button located at the bottom of the table and save the spreadsheet to somewhere like you desktop.

3) Open the spreadsheet and delete some rows from the spreadsheet until you're left with 26 rows of data. Keep in mind that there are two header rows when you count the number of data rows in your spreadsheet (i.e. the final data row will be located at Row number 28 in Excel, taking into account the two header rows). Save the spreadsheet.

4) Go to the Stages -> Schedule Dates screen for the Magnus League. Click on the Import Items (Replace) button below the empty table and select the spreadsheet you just edited. This will import your data into the table. You should now have 26 entries in the table.

Test it out!
Save the database and load it in EHM. When loading EHM, do NOT use the Import button. All you need to do is click on the New Career Game button.

You should now find the French Magnus League as a playable league. Select it as an Enhanced league. When you click on the Next button, the start date will be something like 18 August 2015.

Once the game has loaded, choose a team. You will see you have the usual initial news items included one announcing the 2015/16 league schedule. Viewing the league standings seems to work fine with all 14 teams listed. Clicking the Schedule button from the League Screen button seems to work fine. However, if you go to your Roster screen and click on the Schedule button, it seems to result in a crash...
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Have you tested it in sim? :) Can we in future add Cups competitions? :) Great job but seems it will be very complicated but worth! doing process.
Last edited by Named on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Alessandro » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Frenche league > League dates: crash.
I'm testing it out with 52 games. I also am going to sim.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby Alessandro » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm

After playing around a bit, I'd say that the most complicated thing is the schedule. Very time consuming and potentially there are many clashes. We can't just borrow from other leagues every time :D
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 am

Had an error on January 9th: Cup::process_fixture () - unable to find fixture. Click OK and goes on
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby archibalduk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 am

Something I'd like to try tomorrow is to see if changing the Fate Rules makes any difference. Also whether ticking the Process Fate Rules setting on the Stages screen resolves anything.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby archibalduk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 am

Alessandro wrote:Had an error on January 9th: Cup::process_fixture () - unable to find fixture. Click OK and goes on

Hmm we haven't added any cup stage. My bet is something like Custom Flags needs to be altered.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Curt-97 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 am

Hi,

Does this only work with databases? I've been trying to change parts of the Elite League and English Premier League on my save file and no matter what I try. No matter how small it just crashes the game whenever I try to sim it.

I'd ultimately like to join the 2 leagues with promotion and relegation and increase the amount of games & teams. I.E 12 EIHL teams and 8 EPHL teams not 10 & 10 for each.
Is this possible through editing saved games or only databases?
Curt-97
Junior League

Postby archibalduk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 am

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine the game can cope with leagues changing structure, etc in the middle of a saved game.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 am

archibalduk wrote:
Alessandro wrote:Had an error on January 9th: Cup::process_fixture () - unable to find fixture. Click OK and goes on

Hmm we haven't added any cup stage. My bet is something like Custom Flags needs to be altered.

I copied from DEL schedule.
I think that copying schedules is the best way to get errors :-D but it's also true that it's a long work to create new schedules
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:46 am

It looks like no playoffs get generated. Maybe we just created the regular season in this sample?
EDIT: Yes, just read now. Sorry.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Primis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:15 am

I'm assuming "Fate Rules" have to do with Promotion/Relegation, and qualifying for other leagues/tournies?
Primis
Freeware Moderator

Postby szczepek25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:17 am

Very hard this editor! But I try add Polish League, configuration stages and schedule is hell :D Good Job guys!

It was almost good... League appeared in the game, but I made a mistake somewhere and I have a crash. Well, I will be try later because I'm back to home from night shift at work :)
szczepek25
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Got another error on May 15th, but it's nothing that influences the game. Guess it has to do with the fact that the DEL cup is in the game somewhat, I'll check it later. The game survives to the first season and generates schedule for the second season, so I think long-term games are sustainables.
Now I tried copying the playoff stuff from the DEL, I don't have playoffs lines in the standings, but the league hasn't started yet and I have a "include playoff seeding" setting in the scren.
No crashes so far, simming
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm

February 28th
COMP_BASIC_RULES::get_stage_structure() - invalid stage index!
Click ok and crash.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby marksbros6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Just a quick query; if you generate a new league but leave the 'fixture schedule' blank does the game generate this?
marksbros6
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Alessandro wrote:February 28th
Click ok and crash.

Running another test as I noticed that a couple of options in the DEL are different, maybe that's due to having the playoffs. Simming. Let's see what happens.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Alessandro wrote:
Alessandro wrote:February 28th
Click ok and crash.

Running another test as I noticed that a couple of options in the DEL are different, maybe that's due to having the playoffs. Simming. Let's see what happens.

Crash once again. darn.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:20 pm

marksbros6 wrote:Just a quick query; if you generate a new league but leave the 'fixture schedule' blank does the game generate this?

Tried it with Magnus League, but the starting date would be "1 Jan 1900", then you get a zillion of errors, and then crash.
Unfortunately.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Trying to run a KHL with reset data as first may and not first july. Let's see what happens. Simming.
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby szczepek25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:33 pm

You don't give up ;) I can add a league to the game but when base is loading I have crash.

Alessandro, good luck!

And it might have helped to add a later date? Not 1.7.2015 but for example 1.9.2015?
szczepek25
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Tried to add VHL, getting a CPP error :(
It's fantastic to have this editor, but we need it to be simpler and more self-explaining. Now it's too much "try-and-pray".
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:46 pm

And the side effect is that now I lost any interest to my current save :D
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby szczepek25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Alessandro don't fight with this issue longer ;) Try to simplify the matter in the editor and maybe next version will no longer generate to crash in game. I know that a lot of fans asking for a new league, but as you can see, it's not that simple :D It's just only my opinion but I know that You do not forgive this :D
szczepek25
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby nino33 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:18 pm

I've always found pretty much everything worth doing in life is hard/complicated and takes lots of effort :-)
nino33
Retro Rosters Specialist
Mr. Goalie

Next

Return to Data Editing Forum