Challenge #47 - Vegas Golden Knights - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm

All conversation about Challenge 47 goes here! Good luck everyone!

smdesroches
Junior League

Re: Challenge #47- Vegas Golden Knights - Discussion Thread

Post by smdesroches » Mon May 21, 2018 2:17 am

Guessing the draft lottery results will be huge in determining some of our early success. Looks like we finished 31st so I would assume 4th overall pick at worst

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Very true, but it should be fun regardless, hopefully ;)

smdesroches
Junior League

Post by smdesroches » Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 am

October 2018 Update

Was able to win the Calder Cup with our AHL affiliate Chicago Wolves
Busy Off-Season with all of our UFA's and RFA needing to be signed
Brought in some new staff & coaches for both Chicago and Vegas
Was able to sign 9 out of 11 of our players that were heading to UFA status on July 1st.
Spoiler: Click to reveal
Was able to sign 11 out of 13 of our players that were RFA's.
and
Senators won the Draft moving up around 12 spots (don't remember the exact number) and we were lucky to get #2 Overall

Draft Results
Opening Night Roster

smdesroches
Junior League

Post by smdesroches » Wed May 23, 2018 6:00 am

Am I doing something wrong with the spoilers in my post above. I can't see anything when I click on them to reveal. Does it work for you guys?

Edit - just noticed that if I highlight the white space I can see what I wrote in white font

jonhiseler
Junior League
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by jonhiseler » Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm

smdesroches wrote:October 2018 Update

Was able to win the Calder Cup with our AHL affiliate Chicago Wolves
Busy Off-Season with all of our UFA's and RFA needing to be signed
Brought in some new staff & coaches for both Chicago and Vegas
Was able to sign 9 out of 11 of our players that were heading to UFA status on July 1st.
Was able to sign 11 out of 13 of our players that were RFA's.
and
Senators won the Draft moving up around 12 spots (don't remember the exact number) and we were lucky to get #2 Overall

Draft Results
Opening Night Roster
That's pretty sweet you were able to get
at #2. Who did Ottawa pick at #1?

OldGregg
Prospect

Re: Challenge #47 - Vegas Golden Knights - Discussion Thread

Post by OldGregg » Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 am

Should be a fun challenge! First thing I did was fire some of the mediocre scouts and replace them with better scouts. After that I just put all my scouts on NHL Entry Draft since we can't make trades or sign UFAs until 2019 so there's no need to scout any pro leagues yet. Hoping to get a high pick, Dahlin or Svechnikov would really help the team in the short and long term.

I managed to sign most of my expiring contracts, for notable guys I got Neal at 5X5M, Perron at 6X4.3M, Theodore at 5X2.5M, Miller at 4X2.3M, and Marchessault/Karlsson each at 6X4M. With Garrison and Grabovski coming off the cap on July 1st and Clarkson coming off the cap soon I should be set for cap space in the medium term. A tad worried about the Perron/Neal/Karlsson deals as some of my high picks start to need new contracts but I can't afford to lose any of those guys for the next couple seasons, I don't want to be developing prospects in a Buffalo Sabres level gongshow. Only real holdout now is Garrison, I don't want to pay him a lot but I'll have tons of cap space so maybe a short term higher dollar deal is what I'll do. Will probably lose Stoner and Grabovski but that's whatever.

EDIT 1 - Post draft: After the lottery I ended up with the #3 pick, for Svechnikov went #1 to Florida and Zadina #2 to Detroit so I lucked in to getting Dahlin at #3 which should help me a ton.

2018 Draft:
#3 Rasmus Dahlin
#32 Ryan McLeod
#123 Jack McBain
#125 Matt Gould
#137 Marc Del Gaizo
#156 Christian Krygier
#184 Mac Hollowell

I'm already a bit worried about McLeod, my pre draft scouting I did in the first week of June had him compared to Johansen but after scouting him a few more times post draft he's now compared to a better version of Peter Holland or Mikhail Grabovski. Still has "1st line" in most scouting previews so I'm hopeful he pans out. My later picks are mostly lower ceiling but I'm OK with that since I can build a defense around Dahlin and Theodore so I don't need to reach for high ceiling defensemen, I'm fine just getting solid depth players in the first draft. I'm pretty hopeful about Cody Glass as well (and Nick Suzuki tbh) at C so I should be able to plug holes at F through trades since my defense will be good in the medium/long term.

EDIT 2 - July 1 2018: Lost Garrison, Stoner, Grabovski, and Thompson as UFAs. Garrison is the only guy I wanted back out of that group and I offered him 2Y/5M in late June but he went UFA. Hopefully I get enough progression over the summer from Theodore/Dahlin that I won't miss him too much but I might have just really hurt the team in year 1 by losing him. My only summer move will probably be to sign Guy Boucher as an assistant coach and sign a couple prospects.
Last edited by OldGregg on Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Zavier
Junior League
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by Zavier » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Am I able supposed to be able to use the challenge database file with the TBL Rosters 2017-2018 (v10.3) installed? Also does the file work with the steam version of the game? I tried following the instructions for installing it in the

Re: HOW TO: Import an EHM 2007 database into EHM:EA thread and some of the folders/files it says I should have I don't have.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Zavier wrote:Am I able supposed to be able to use the challenge database file with the TBL Rosters 2017-2018 (v10.3) installed? Also does the file work with the steam version of the game? I tried following the instructions for installing it in the

Re: HOW TO: Import an EHM 2007 database into EHM:EA thread and some of the folders/files it says I should have I don't have.
The Vegas challenge is a saved game. Not a database.
You need to put the saved game in the folder that has your other saved games
Any other databases you have are not in the way of this save

Zavier
Junior League

Post by Zavier » Thu May 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Manimal wrote:
Zavier wrote:Am I able supposed to be able to use the challenge database file with the TBL Rosters 2017-2018 (v10.3) installed? Also does the file work with the steam version of the game? I tried following the instructions for installing it in the

The Vegas challenge is a saved game. Not a database.
You need to put the saved game in the folder that has your other saved games
Any other databases you have are not in the way of this save
Well that was WAY easier than all that other stuff. Thanks!

Zavier
Junior League

Post by Zavier » Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 pm

I notice Gallant's contract expires in the offseason. Are we supposed to re-sign him? Or can we hire a different head coach?

smdesroches
Junior League

Post by smdesroches » Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 am

Zavier wrote:I notice Gallant's contract expires in the offseason. Are we supposed to re-sign him? Or can we hire a different head coach?
9.1 You may hire as many non-playing staff as you choose.

smdesroches
Junior League

Post by smdesroches » Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 am

OldGregg wrote:
EDIT 2 - July 1 2018: Garrison is the only guy I wanted back out of that group and I offered him 2Y/5M in late June but he went UFA.
Was able to sign him for....

OldGregg
Prospect

Post by OldGregg » Fri May 25, 2018 1:20 am

smdesroches wrote:
OldGregg wrote:
EDIT 2 - July 1 2018: Garrison is the only guy I wanted back out of that group and I offered him 2Y/5M in late June but he went UFA.
Was able to sign him for....
Yeah I would have definitely kept him at that price. He didn't want to negotiate until after the draft and by then it was too late and he went UFA. Oh well, Schmidt-Dahlin/Theodore-Miller/Merrill-Sbisa is alright and Garrison would probably have been on my third pair anyway.

30Tanner
Junior League
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by 30Tanner » Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 am

smdesroches wrote:
Zavier wrote:I notice Gallant's contract expires in the offseason. Are we supposed to re-sign him? Or can we hire a different head coach?
9.1 You may hire as many non-playing staff as you choose.
I'm so glad for this change to the rules. I basically overhauled the entire staff starting day 1.

Took me a few games and a lot of tweaking to find lines that work, but I've got things rolling pretty decently. Let a couple of the older players go (notably Garrison) and extended a few of the younger ones on the cheap.

And, of course, picked up Dahlin.

Edit: My special teams are absolute trash, though... still trying to figure that out. ](*,)

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Just completed my first 20 games currently 2nd in conference.

My favoured lines so far are

Theodore - Miller
Schmidt - Merrill
Reinhardt - Brannstrom

Neal - Shipachyov - Smith
Marchessault - Karlsson - Perron
Haula - Eakin - Tuch
Bellemare - Lepsic - Wahlstrom

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

I just completed the 2018 draft and signing period. This will be interesting to say the least:

Draft- lost the lottery- picked #4.

Rd 1, #4 (4): Oliver Wahlstrom RW/C, 6'1" 205 USNTDP.
Basically everyone had a flaw at #4- I almost took Veleno, but he's burned me in the past by not developing (in challenges a year or so back!). Wahlstrom is exactly what I want in a scoring winger, at 18. He could use some skating and passing development, but if his number stay the same, he'll put plenty in the back of the net for years. Hopefully he stays with the big club instead of me sending him back to Cape Breton. Scouts are calling him a bigger Blake Wheeler.

Rd 2, #1 (32): Matias Samuelsson LD, 6'4" 216 USNTDP.
I have to admit, the change for Kjell's kid just tickled me pink. One of my favorite players on Sega Genesis. A little slow, but his defensive attributes aren't far from NHL ready. I'm not sure yet if I'll let him go to Ann Arbor, or sign and move him to Sarnia. Now that I have two Swedish-Americans, maybe that could be interesting in the future. Scouts calling him Hamonic.

Rd 4, #30 (123): Julian Kislin RD, 6'2" 187 Youngstown (USHL)
Let's enter the part of the draft I don't feel too good about. Kislin had my scouts all over the board- in early scouting they said star, late scouting trips had him depth. He will need serious development to be more than an AHL body- but I had to trust that my key staff all wanted him. He will spend a year or two at Boston College for sure. Scouts calling him Tucker Poolman.

Rd 5, #1 (125): Scooter Brickey RD, 6'3" 189 Des Moines (USHL)
He is about AHL level as a defensive guy now, who needs skating work. I'm hoping he grows a lot- otherwise I may have just continued to shore up Chicago in 2021. Hopefully college is good for him as well. Scouts calling him 3rd pair (like Stoner)

Rd 6, #1 (156): Maxim Mineyev RD/LD, 6'1" 187 Avangard (KHL) 20 years old
A short term pick. Almost NHL ready, minus footwork. Too bad I can't bring him over this offseason (KHL contract) but he's the kind of guy I like to get late to be a #6/7 that I don't worry too much about developing or feel guilty if he's pushed out. Scouts don't seem to know (a poor man's Hamhuis... but he's better already)

Rd 6, #29 (184): Cedric Bracher LW/RW, 5'11" 154 Langenthal (Swiss League B) 21 years old
12th leading scorer in League B- zero idea what the word defense means. So-so skating, killer shot and getting open. The kind of guy that will (hopefully) be a key in Chicago's PP, then grow to be a PP/4th line guy. No scouting report.

Resign events:
Lost: Grabovski, McGill, McNabb, Stoner, Sbisa, Thompson
Retained rights: Carrier, Hyka, Nosek, Pulkkinen, Dansk, Lindberg, Castro, Matteau.

Big time decisions on how to handle the RFA's, and my Chicago GM (My cat, btw), will have to sign more players than an AHL budget will do :)

30Tanner
Junior League
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by 30Tanner » Sat May 26, 2018 5:55 am

Ended up making it to the 18-19 finals versus ... the Washington Capitals. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Unfortunately, they swept us - but it's still a much better showing than I expected, considering the team placed dead last the previous season. Holtby was just too stronk.

Dahlin got injured in the conference finals, which I think hurt me, but here are the lines that got me this far:

Carrier - Karlsson - Smith
Marchessault - Shipachyov - Neal
Lindberg - Haula - Perron
Leipsic - Eakin - Tuch

Theodore - Dahlin
Schmidt - Miller
McNabb - Merrill

Fleury
Subban

Looks like Schmidt is going to be leaving in free agency and Engelland announced mid-season that this year will be his last. I've extended most of my players, but a couple are still holding out. Mostly RFAs, so I plan on dealing with them when they're feeling a bit more cooperative.

As an aside, Shea Theodore's Balance is 1. Is that supposed to be like that? Because it seems a bit odd.

OldGregg
Prospect

Post by OldGregg » Sat May 26, 2018 8:56 pm

30Tanner wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:55 am
As an aside, Shea Theodore's Balance is 1. Is that supposed to be like that? Because it seems a bit odd.
Just checked some of my other saves that use the 2017-18 TBL rosters and he has 1 balance in all of those saves as well. I guess it's an issue with that database, because I checked some older saves that use the 2016-17 database and he has 12 balance in those saves. I also noticed Rasmus Dahlin is right handed in this file. Also I think VGK should have the rights to Nikita Gusev, unlikely he would ever sign but on the off chance he does it would be interesting if it also didn't use your UFA slot (since he'd be an unsigned prospect).

Finished my first season, won the cup over Tampa Bay in 5. The cup final was easy but the first 3 rounds had some tense moments with Fleury really struggling. I pulled him a lot and was even starting Maxim Zhukov (who got really good for me after a season in the ECHL) for some games in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but I was able to score my way out of trouble. I think this challenge would be a lot harder without lucking into Dahlin since that defense is very suspect without him. Neal-Ship-Smith / March-Karlsson-Perron / Eakin-Haula-Tuch was my top 9 all season and they all had excellent years, and Carrier/Lindberg/Nosek/Pulkkinen/Pirri you can easily handle injuries to your forwards.

I feel alright about the 2019 draft, I took Ilya Mironov who projects as a Boychuk top pair D in the first round and I'm fairly happy with my 2nd round picks where I got some 2L projected defensive forwards. This draft didn't feel very deep though, with so many picks I ran out of slam dunk prospects fast and a lot of my later picks are guys with low ceilings but good scouting reports, and a couple swings on guys with higher potential but more things to work on. Hopefully this draft can fill out my 4th line and 3rd pairing in the coming years since I won't be able to afford to keep re signing all the Nosek/Pirri/Lindberg/McNabb/Hyka/Bellemare depth players indefinitely.

Starting season 2 in July 2019 I traded Cody Eakin for Shayne Gostisbehere, and signed Paul Byron as a UFA to a 5YX2.5M contract to replace Eakin at 3LW. Those moves should be helpful I think, Theodore-Dahlin/Schmidt-Gostisbehere should be a strong top 4 at a reasonable cost, and I can run any two of Miller/Merrill/Branstrom/Hunt as my third pair. I can still make a draft pick trade, I think I'm going to hold on to it until close to the deadline in case I have more goaltending issues and/or Fleury gets injured.

Grentroz
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Grentroz » Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm

First challenge participation for me!

Draft lottery wasn't on my side and I fell to 4th. Below are the guys I took in the 2018 draft :

4th overall (Round 1) : Oliver Wahlstrom
32nd overall (Round 2) : Serron Noel
123rd overall (Round 4) : Sean Durzi
125th overall (Round 5) : Alexis Gravel
137th overall (Round 5) : Jake Mcbain
156th overall (Round 6) : Mikhail Shestopalov
184th overall (Round 6) : Matthew Quercia

Lost to UFA : Clayton Stoner, Brayden Mcnabb, Luca Sbisa, Chris Casto and Paul Thompson.

Time to make sure Chicago Wolves have enough players to fill the holes and onward to the first season.

Edit and question : On July 1st, Lucas Sbisa decided to try Free agency. He hasn't signed anywhere and now in middle August, his agents is knocking at my door. I'll guess I can't sign him, but Vegas was his last team. Should he still be considered a UFA?

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Sun May 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Just finished my first season finished 2nd in conference then lost 4-3 in the first round of the play offs to the Oilers

Just heading towards the draft now.

Grentroz
Junior League
Favourite Team: Edmonton Oilers

Post by Grentroz » Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Can I cry? Haven't even started my first training camp and I get this message. Guess Wahlstrom isn't going back to the junior levels anymore

Zavier
Junior League

Post by Zavier » Sun May 27, 2018 8:22 pm

First challenge participation for me as well

Draft lottery wasn't on my side and I fell to 4th. Below are the guys I took in the 2018 draft :

4th overall (Round 1) : Oliver Wahlstrom... Almost took Veleno, I really liked him in another save. But I can always move Wahlstrom to the middle if I need and he has better numbers right now. He could end up being the best player in the draft. I sent him back to juniors for the first year, I had him about even with other guys on my 4th line, so I figured he'd be better served tearing it up for one year down there.

32nd overall (Round 2) : Got my playmaking Centre in the 2nd round with Allan McShane. I feel this is the weakest position on the team, and unfortunately the hardest spot to fill through the draft after goaltending. Compared to Derick Brassard, but I worry a bit about his work rate (10). If he can be a mid-line player I'll be happy.

123rd overall (Round 4) : Tom Hedberg pointman LD, Strong mentals and physicals, but low skills. Upside is maybe 2nd pairing. Had good numbers in Sweden.

125th overall (Round 5) : Alexis Gravel, didn't really want to pick a goalie, but in round 5 everything is a crapshoot anyhow, so this is the place to pick a goalie if I'm going to do it. A goalie picked here probably does as good as a goalie picked in the 2nd round.

137th overall (Round 5) : Marc Del Gaizo, offensive LD. Great mentals and physical for a guy this deep in the draft. 4 star upside, so maybe he can develop into a midpairing guy.

156th overall (Round 6) : Chase Wouters, playmaking C

184th overall (Round 6) : Jesper Sellgren, LD. Small overage two-way defenseman. All his numbers are better than my 4th round pick, I think this is a steal getting this guy here. He was unranked, so I have my scouts to thank for the suggestion.

Re-signed: Merril, Theodore, Carrier, Matteau, Karlsson, Miller, Nosek, Perron, Neal, Marchessault, Lindberg, Casto, Lagace, Pirri, Garrison, and Pulkinnon.

I knew I wouldn't be close to the cap so I re-signed everyone I could that fit into my style of play regardless of skill level, just to have some organizational depth. Pulkinnon was the hardest to sign. Garrison took my 2 year offer no problem.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Grentroz wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm
Edit and question : On July 1st, Lucas Sbisa decided to try Free agency. He hasn't signed anywhere and now in middle August, his agents is knocking at my door. I'll guess I can't sign him, but Vegas was his last team. Should he still be considered a UFA?
(Sorry missed your edit)

Unfortunately, once they walk out the door July 1, they are considered a UFA and you cannot resign him this season.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Those in their first challenges, welcome and enjoy! Make sure you read all the relevant threads, and ask questions whenever they come up! Good luck!

Return to “Challenge Forum”