Black Screens and clocking

Having difficulty installing or running EHM? Having trouble purchasing the game through Steam? Unable to get an addon or patch to work correctly? This is the place to ask for help! Please note that this is purely unofficial support offered by the TBL community.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

Rosters Forum: Discussion relating to all database and roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.
darino
Junior League

Post by darino » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am

Love the game, but after purchasing the game last week with the '18-'19 rosters (5/5/19), already getting irritated. When i minimize the game, and then try to pull it back up again, all I get is a black screen. I have to close out via task manager and of course lose everything because i didn't save before minimizing. And NOW? -- First season, I have reached the first week of November and after playing my fifth game game tonight, the game started clocking while simulating league scores, the system stopped responding and I had to shut down via task manager with nothing saved. Is this a Steam issue? I can deal with the black screen stuff, however if I have to cross my fingers that the game wont crash whenever I am playing, I am thinking i should have listened to that little voice in my head that said "Don't buy anything that requires Steam". Can...not...trust...the...connection....period. Thankfully I have EHM 07 on my comp and can continue to play that, trustworthy and non-Steam dependent for 12 years and going strong :joy:

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Sun May 12, 2019 12:08 pm

darino wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am
Love the game, but after purchasing the game last week with the '18-'19 rosters (5/5/19), already getting irritated. When i minimize the game, and then try to pull it back up again, all I get is a black screen. I have to close out via task manager and of course lose everything because i didn't save before minimizing.
This sounds like a GPU-related issue. Are you minimising whilst the game is simming (i.e. whilst you are progressing through the days after clicking Continue) or whilst it is idle? If it is whilst simming, leave it a while until simming is complete at which point the screen might refresh. If it's idle or the screen doesn't come back after waiting a while, it might be an issue/incompatibility with your GPU. If you have two GPUs (i.e. an integrated one and a separate GPU card - for example, my laptop as an integrated Intel GPU plus a separate Nvidia GPU), try forcing the game to use one or the other to see if that makes a difference.
darino wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am
And NOW? -- First season, I have reached the first week of November and after playing my fifth game game tonight, the game started clocking while simulating league scores, the system stopped responding and I had to shut down via task manager with nothing saved. Is this a Steam issue? I can deal with the black screen stuff, however if I have to cross my fingers that the game wont crash whenever I am playing, I am thinking i should have listened to that little voice in my head that said "Don't buy anything that requires Steam". Can...not...trust...the...connection....period. Thankfully I have EHM 07 on my comp and can continue to play that, trustworthy and non-Steam dependent for 12 years and going strong :joy:
It is highly unlikely to be a Steam issue. The game can run unconnected to the internet once you have activated IIRC (i.e. Steam runs in offline mode). EHM can appear to hang whilst simming at times. Do you get an egg timer or do you get an actual error message? If an egg timer, just leave it for a while and it should come back. If you start trying to click on the screen whilst it is simming then you can end up causing an error message/crash.

The size of the database and the number of active leagues has a bearing on sim speed. If you use a large database setting and/or lots of active leagues, try paring these back a little to see if this improves things.

darino
Junior League

Post by darino » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 pm

thanks! While I still haven't been able to resolve he issue about being able to pull up the game once minimized (it comes up as a black screen and stays that way no matter how long i wait) I would be curious as to how to run the game in 'offline mode'.

Return to “Technical Support”